Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Okay--Part 3 going up, as well! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAs84bDYxCU

Professor Duck fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jul 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Professor Duck posted:

Well, we're into the "vampire thing"....it's a thing, all right!

See....that would require having intentionally humorous exchanges in the writing :v:

Anyway, moving on from there, we're off to....THE PUZZLE. Yes, THAT puzzle, and I will only be referring to this as "THE PUZZLE" in any way. I know there's stupider ones in different games, but this is probably the more famous of those (Longest Journey comes to mind immediately. I know there's a super convoluted one in Runescape, too)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8t5EzIguyb0

Seeing it in action the puzzle is way better than I expected, though not great. Obviously it could have been avoided by Gabriel not being an idiot and just renting the "less manly" scooter, but otherwise it kinda makes sense. The renter checks the passport to match against the people on the tour, so you need to steal Mosely's, but Gabriel doesn't look at all like him so the passport needs to be altered. The easiest way to do that is add facial hair to hide facial features and something to hide that Gabriel isn't bald like Mosely, so putting on a cap and drawing on the passport makes sense. Adding the suit jacket, because that's probably what Mosely wore in the photo makes sense as an extra thing that also hides that you were already there. As mentioned there are hints about the candy but that's still a bit finicky. Making the actual moustache is the only part that's actually unforgivably bad, because the cat is in an out of the way place, and you need two different adhesives to actually make it.

Also pretty interesting that despite everything I've hear about this game, no one has ever mentioned the odd camera system, it's a neat idea but I don't really think it works in this game.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Hel posted:

Also pretty interesting that despite everything I've hear about this game, no one has ever mentioned the odd camera system, it's a neat idea but I don't really think it works in this game.

It really is something else, isn’t it? Hearing that the dev team was completely baffled by working in 3D makes a lot of sense when you see the end product.

And yeah, the catstache puzzle is definitely more coherent when seeing it live, but not by a whole lot. It seems more like a puzzle where you have to use everything that you can interact with somehow, which I think is a bit more possible when you actually have your hands on it.

I remember Grim Fandango had a couple of puzzles in that vein too, but GF was so weird that it ended up working a good bit better. “Interact with everything” is a lot more doable when the things to interact with are interesting, as opposed to an empty dresser and a random hole in a door.

OneWingedDevil
Aug 27, 2012
I did not think I knew what "THE PUZZLE" was, but once I heard the cat come up I knew in my heart what this was leading to.

Glad to finally see it in action. Also really glad I'm not the one playing it, I would have stopped after figuring it out (at best). I'd have been too worried about something *worse* being later in the game!

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

OneWingedDevil posted:

I did not think I knew what "THE PUZZLE" was, but once I heard the cat come up I knew in my heart what this was leading to.

Glad to finally see it in action. Also really glad I'm not the one playing it, I would have stopped after figuring it out (at best). I'd have been too worried about something *worse* being later in the game!

Luckily this is as bad as it gets, AFAIK. Turns out that there's actually (according to other sources) a really excellent puzzle later on in the game.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Professor Duck posted:

Anyway, moving on from there, we're off to....THE PUZZLE. Yes, THAT puzzle, and I will only be referring to this as "THE PUZZLE" in any way. I know there's stupider ones in different games, but this is probably the more famous of those (Longest Journey comes to mind immediately. I know there's a super convoluted one in Runescape, too)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8t5EzIguyb0

Those hanging panels in the museum have different text on the back that you missed (biography of Sauniere).

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

whitehelm posted:

Those hanging panels in the museum have different text on the back that you missed (biography of Sauniere).

We might have to go and check those out later. From a couple of things so far, it seems we can miss stuff and not necessarily be penalized for it...unless we've unwittingly gotten ourselves into a "dead man walking" scenario. Of course, this being a Sierra game, it's an entirely likely scenario :v:

Anyway, enough conjecturing, and more episodes! EDIT: Dewgy borked stuff, so I'll have a new link soon!

Professor Duck fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Aug 1, 2021

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Please pardon the dust, I screwed up and we have to reupload the video, accidentally left a chunk of part 3 at the beginning. :v:

e: Problem resolved! Will be back shortly.

Dewgy fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Aug 1, 2021

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Dewgy posted:

Please pardon the dust, I screwed up and we have to reupload the video, accidentally left a chunk of part 3 at the beginning. :v:

e: Problem resolved! Will be back shortly.

Here's the unborked version of part 4: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcIt_N4ll0I

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Professor Duck posted:

We might have to go and check those out later. From a couple of things so far, it seems we can miss stuff and not necessarily be penalized for it...unless we've unwittingly gotten ourselves into a "dead man walking" scenario. Of course, this being a Sierra game, it's an entirely likely scenario :v:

There are a lot of optional missable content/points, including a few timed sections, but you can't get locked out of actually finishing the game.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Well, GK3 is so goddamned awful I can't watch it, somehow even voice acting is poo poo.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Sekenr posted:

Well, GK3 is so goddamned awful I can't watch it, somehow even voice acting is poo poo.

I honestly find it less awful than the second game, which I must admit I skipped the last few episodes off because the acting was so embarrassing. Moving to 3d and not having Gabriel try to speak French to everyone really helps.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Hel posted:

I honestly find it less awful than the second game, which I must admit I skipped the last few episodes off because the acting was so embarrassing. Moving to 3d and not having Gabriel try to speak French to everyone really helps.

I was never a fan of 2. After a brilliant game like Sins of the Father, chasing the FMV trend of the mid-90s did the series absolutely no favors. In interviews, Jensen basically says the same thing here--they were basically forced to chase the trend and go 3D, and the development was really borked because of it. There are some great ideas that just get lost because of poor execution. I almost feel bad for the series because of the direction it went.

Professor Duck fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Aug 3, 2021

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

whitehelm posted:

There are a lot of optional missable content/points, including a few timed sections, but you can't get locked out of actually finishing the game.

Actually I think I'll start pointing out stuff you permanently missed (those panels will be there all game, they don't count for points or anything).
By the way when you hear the clock ticking noise that means time passed and people have moved around to new locations.

Ep1: You didn't ask Jean about the tour group (because you hadn't learned about the group from Mosely yet) so you lost 2 points. I don't know for sure how long before you can't get this conversation option anymore.

Ep2: After leaving the church Lady Howard and Estelle are in the dining room, you can talk to them a bit but there are no points. Buchelli will also be there (you can actually follow him from the church) but you can't talk to him. That noise you heard while talking to Mosely was indeed Emilio Baza eavesdropping on you again using a glass against the door. If you had exited the conversation in the middle and caught him you would've got 5 points.
During THE PUZZLE Buchelli is at the top of the Tour Magdala (you saw him through the binoculars in ep3)..you can talk to him but for no points. There's also a conversation with Mosely about how he should make sure to keep his passport on him.

Ep3: This one's really dumb. The 2-4pm time block ends when you've followed Wilkes and Madeline unlocking the two locations, and finished with either Larry Chester or the train station. The 4-6pm block ends when you do the other one (Larry or train) and return to town. If you return to town EARLY in the 4-6pm block (not doing both locations) then decide to wander over to the church graveyard you can open the window and see a scene between Arnoud and Madeline who suddenly decided to return from wandering around with Mosely. 5 points missed here for not being psychic.

Ep4: I'm pretty sure you know this one, but since you were screwing around with the wrong window you missed recording Arnoud's phone call after the two men questioned him, which means you missed 7 points now, and 4 points later for scanning/translating it in the computer.
Sidenote here, you can follow the car directly from the hotel, you don't need to go somewhere else to do it.
After the handshake there was a "time passed" noise which means everyone moved around. Wilkes and Buchelli took off on their bikes for the bar, Emilio went down to the hotel lobby, and Madeline, Lady Howard and Estelle went to the dining room. You could've talked to all of them but for no points.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

whitehelm posted:

Actually I think I'll start pointing out stuff you permanently missed (those panels will be there all game, they don't count for points or anything).
By the way when you hear the clock ticking noise that means time passed and people have moved around to new locations.

Ep1: You didn't ask Jean about the tour group (because you hadn't learned about the group from Mosely yet) so you lost 2 points. I don't know for sure how long before you can't get this conversation option anymore.

Ep2: After leaving the church Lady Howard and Estelle are in the dining room, you can talk to them a bit but there are no points. Buchelli will also be there (you can actually follow him from the church) but you can't talk to him. That noise you heard while talking to Mosely was indeed Emilio Baza eavesdropping on you again using a glass against the door. If you had exited the conversation in the middle and caught him you would've got 5 points.
During THE PUZZLE Buchelli is at the top of the Tour Magdala (you saw him through the binoculars in ep3)..you can talk to him but for no points. There's also a conversation with Mosely about how he should make sure to keep his passport on him.

Ep3: This one's really dumb. The 2-4pm time block ends when you've followed Wilkes and Madeline unlocking the two locations, and finished with either Larry Chester or the train station. The 4-6pm block ends when you do the other one (Larry or train) and return to town. If you return to town EARLY in the 4-6pm block (not doing both locations) then decide to wander over to the church graveyard you can open the window and see a scene between Arnoud and Madeline who suddenly decided to return from wandering around with Mosely. 5 points missed here for not being psychic.

Ep4: I'm pretty sure you know this one, but since you were screwing around with the wrong window you missed recording Arnoud's phone call after the two men questioned him, which means you missed 7 points now, and 4 points later for scanning/translating it in the computer.
Sidenote here, you can follow the car directly from the hotel, you don't need to go somewhere else to do it.
After the handshake there was a "time passed" noise which means everyone moved around. Wilkes and Buchelli took off on their bikes for the bar, Emilio went down to the hotel lobby, and Madeline, Lady Howard and Estelle went to the dining room. You could've talked to all of them but for no points.

Oh, jeez...I have a feeling this list is gonna get a LOT bigger :v: Thanks for picking up the stuff we missed!

Onto part 5: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYHEdaXLJQM

OneWingedDevil
Aug 27, 2012
As little sense as it would have made, could you have dusted the cloth under the pillow for prints? And our Aussie friend's prints were probably on a bathroom item, you didn't check there when touring his room.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

OneWingedDevil posted:

As little sense as it would have made, could you have dusted the cloth under the pillow for prints? And our Aussie friend's prints were probably on a bathroom item, you didn't check there when touring his room.

I don't know...I feel like the fingerprints are pretty vital things and, while I could be totally off-base, I feel like the game wouldn't let things progress unless I found all of the important stuff.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Professor Duck posted:

I don't know...I feel like the fingerprints are pretty vital things and, while I could be totally off-base, I feel like the game wouldn't let things progress unless I found all of the important stuff.

It’s either that or there’ll be time for it later. :v:

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I had a strong suspicion from the title of the game, and the fact that it turned out to be a Holy Grail story, that this is going to be relying on the book The Holy Blood and The Holy Grail as inspiration. This is the same source that Dan Brown drew on for The Da Vinci Code. A lot of what's in THB&THG, especially the Templar connection, is based on a very elaborate hoax perpetrated by a man named Pierre Plantard. He's also largely responsible for spreading stories about the treasure of Rennes-le-Château. While Plantard and his collaborators were in the business of fabricating evidence, the authors of THB&THG seem less like charlatans and more overly credulous, especially when it fits their preconceived notion (which includes trying to find anything at all negative about the Roman Catholic church).

There's an entire website devoted to debunking the claims surrounding this story. The site has a lot of good information, but is kind of scattered in bits and pieces. This timeline is maybe the best point of reference if you really want to know more.

Of course Gabriel Knight is clearly staying on the side of being fictional. Even the name 'Wolfenbach' seems to suggest a fictionalized grail story (though the name's clearly based on actual medieval author Wolfram von Eschenbach). With the poetry we saw, I'd speculate that we're dealing with some of these characters being in the Jesus bloodline, and the 'vampires' being in the Satan bloodline, or something like it. I wouldn't be surprised if this child is somehow the first in history to be descended from both.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Kangra posted:

I had a strong suspicion from the title of the game, and the fact that it turned out to be a Holy Grail story, that this is going to be relying on the book The Holy Blood and The Holy Grail as inspiration. This is the same source that Dan Brown drew on for The Da Vinci Code. A lot of what's in THB&THG, especially the Templar connection, is based on a very elaborate hoax perpetrated by a man named Pierre Plantard. He's also largely responsible for spreading stories about the treasure of Rennes-le-Château. While Plantard and his collaborators were in the business of fabricating evidence, the authors of THB&THG seem less like charlatans and more overly credulous, especially when it fits their preconceived notion (which includes trying to find anything at all negative about the Roman Catholic church).

There's an entire website devoted to debunking the claims surrounding this story. The site has a lot of good information, but is kind of scattered in bits and pieces. This timeline is maybe the best point of reference if you really want to know more.

Of course Gabriel Knight is clearly staying on the side of being fictional. Even the name 'Wolfenbach' seems to suggest a fictionalized grail story (though the name's clearly based on actual medieval author Wolfram von Eschenbach). With the poetry we saw, I'd speculate that we're dealing with some of these characters being in the Jesus bloodline, and the 'vampires' being in the Satan bloodline, or something like it. I wouldn't be surprised if this child is somehow the first in history to be descended from both.

drat, that's a lot of info--thanks for all that! :shittydog:

As for your suspicions....well, you'll just need to find out! part 7 just has a giant plot dump that confirms a good bit of what you've presented

Here's part 6 to keep y'all entertained! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jp-o2lpB5Gk

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
I still can’t get over the half man half grail thing. Who the hell comes up with that?

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Dewgy posted:

I still can’t get over the half man half grail thing. Who the hell comes up with that?

Rejected robot masters from Mega Man?

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Dewgy posted:

French John De Lancie

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

mateo360 posted:

French John De Lancie

Rejected plot points from ST:TNG involving Q

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

...and here's part 7! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8y1L9MCu-4

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

John de Lancie is on Cameo for $150. Lindsay Lohan costs $375. And purple grapes are used to make wine.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Dewgy just told me about an interesting experience with that, so I actually knew how much Lohan's cost. Maybe someone could throw $150 at de Lancie and see if he'll do the AM monologue. :v:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Professor Duck posted:

Dewgy just told me about an interesting experience with that, so I actually knew how much Lohan's cost. Maybe someone could throw $150 at de Lancie and see if he'll do the AM monologue. :v:

I feel like I’m getting deja vu here.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Professor Duck posted:

Oh, jeez...I have a feeling this list is gonna get a LOT bigger :v: Thanks for picking up the stuff we missed!

Onto part 5: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYHEdaXLJQM

Ep5: We've got some "things you didn't miss" here! You can obviously fail to sneak past Roxanne and get access to the rooms for later. She just boots you out the first time (luckily you had already unlocked Emilio's dumbwaiter) but after the second time she starts permablocking the doors with the cart and you're done. Everything in the 3 dumbwaiter rooms (Emilio, Buchelli, and Wilkes) is optional. The 2 balcony rooms are required so if you mess up there's an alternate way into those, you can exit out your own window, climb over the roof, and go into their rooms from the balconies.
Back to missed points, in Buchelli's room you didn't search his dresser where you would've found his Not-from-Naples train ticket and something else along with 4 points (there's another way of finding out Buchelli's deal later I believe, so I'm being vague).

Ep6: Things you didn't miss: If you don't hide in the attic wardrobe fast enough, you get caught and forced out of the house. If that happens the cellar door will suddenly be unlocked, and you can go straight to the basement/wine press room but you would've missed anything left in the attic and everything in the study.
Things you did miss: Before you sneaked into the house, you could've gone into the wine-tasting room and talked to Abbe Arnoud for 2 points (Grace doesn't want to talk to anyone else).
At the start of Gabriel's segment, you're on a 5 min timer to overhear a bunch of stuff. You got Wilkes and Buchelli's phone call but missed Madeline's call and Lady Howard/Estelles talk for 2 points each. Getting everything here is tricky, you have to know exactly where to go and stay away from Jean because his automatic talk with you wastes too much time. At the crime scene answering Vampires first would've gotten 2 points. You didn't get the tire treads from the Scots car for 2 points which you could've used to compare to various tire marks. Also Arnoud is at the top of Magdala and you could've asked him about his confrontation with the Scots for 2 points (but he doesn't really tell you anything).

Ep7: You didn't miss anything important but you could've tried an auto detailing ID at the vineyard also (because you're still looking for the black sedan).
Some interesting notes: If you had missed getting Buchelli's print from his suitcase you could've gotten it from his glass here, but Gabriel needs to know who has which glass in that case, which if I remember correctly means you would've had to look at them while they were drinking. There's also a way for the game to ask the player which is right (you pick between Wilkes/Buchelli icons) but I don't remember what leads to that. You can actually follow Estelle directly from the hotel after seeing her bump into Emilio to find her dig site but you don't get the points for it for some reason.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

whitehelm posted:

Ep5: We've got some "things you didn't miss" here! You can obviously fail to sneak past Roxanne and get access to the rooms for later. She just boots you out the first time (luckily you had already unlocked Emilio's dumbwaiter) but after the second time she starts permablocking the doors with the cart and you're done. Everything in the 3 dumbwaiter rooms (Emilio, Buchelli, and Wilkes) is optional. The 2 balcony rooms are required so if you mess up there's an alternate way into those, you can exit out your own window, climb over the roof, and go into their rooms from the balconies.
Back to missed points, in Buchelli's room you didn't search his dresser where you would've found his Not-from-Naples train ticket and something else along with 4 points (there's another way of finding out Buchelli's deal later I believe, so I'm being vague).

Ep6: Things you didn't miss: If you don't hide in the attic wardrobe fast enough, you get caught and forced out of the house. If that happens the cellar door will suddenly be unlocked, and you can go straight to the basement/wine press room but you would've missed anything left in the attic and everything in the study.
Things you did miss: Before you sneaked into the house, you could've gone into the wine-tasting room and talked to Abbe Arnoud for 2 points (Grace doesn't want to talk to anyone else).
At the start of Gabriel's segment, you're on a 5 min timer to overhear a bunch of stuff. You got Wilkes and Buchelli's phone call but missed Madeline's call and Lady Howard/Estelles talk for 2 points each. Getting everything here is tricky, you have to know exactly where to go and stay away from Jean because his automatic talk with you wastes too much time. At the crime scene answering Vampires first would've gotten 2 points. You didn't get the tire treads from the Scots car for 2 points which you could've used to compare to various tire marks. Also Arnoud is at the top of Magdala and you could've asked him about his confrontation with the Scots for 2 points (but he doesn't really tell you anything).

Ep7: You didn't miss anything important but you could've tried an auto detailing ID at the vineyard also (because you're still looking for the black sedan).
Some interesting notes: If you had missed getting Buchelli's print from his suitcase you could've gotten it from his glass here, but Gabriel needs to know who has which glass in that case, which if I remember correctly means you would've had to look at them while they were drinking. There's also a way for the game to ask the player which is right (you pick between Wilkes/Buchelli icons) but I don't remember what leads to that. You can actually follow Estelle directly from the hotel after seeing her bump into Emilio to find her dig site but you don't get the points for it for some reason.

Hooray we aren't COMPLETELY incompetent! :dogcited:

Here's part 8 to celebrate! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuxyCQaqeqI

OneWingedDevil
Aug 27, 2012
The most I gathered from the poem was that references to 4 and 3 came up a lot, which tie to square and triangle patterns. You may be able to use the triangle on the map to link some of the points on the circle with the "sunrise line". It'd need to be a right triangle given the reference to Pythagoras, and the end result should be that something special is hiding inside them.

Beyond that? I stopped paying attention because I didn't sign up for pain. You two got this.:v:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

OneWingedDevil posted:

…and the end result should be that something special is hiding inside them.

It can be only one thing: Pepe Silvia.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

They're mixing a lot of the real world 'mysteries' (which are largely myths, forgeries, and speculation) into the game world, and I hope it doesn't go too deep into it for your sanities' sakes. It's sort of interesting how well they were able to make it sound both insane and plausible, in the way that much of this material often is.

There was one bit in the passage that I didn't quite get. Kind of a spoiler to highlight it, although they basically gave you the answer to the puzzle already.

The line 'et in Arcadia ego _ _ _ ' struck me as odd. Why are there blank spaces there? This is a famous from a 17th Century painting by Nicolas Poussin that depicts a tomb with that inscription, but there is no need for blanks. It's simply 'Et in Arcadia ego', meaning word-for-word 'And in Arcadia I', and taken to possibly mean "I [death] am also in Arcadia", or "I[guy in tomb] lived in Arcadia" or even "I am [now] in Arcadia". (Arcadia is figuratively used to mean an idyllic, unspoiled place). The phrase is technically missing a verb, but poetry doesn't demand it, and the ambiguity of it is what makes it interesting.

The answer the game implies is

Et in Arcadia ego _sum_ , which makes it a complete sentence but only in the present tense — "And I too am in Arcadia".

Why would anyone care about that, though?

It turns out that one of the theories is that this painting is actually a riddle. To figure it out, though, you have to conclude that this inscription, being 'ungrammatical', needs to have cat hair a word added to it. So you add the word 'sum'. Then you have to anagram it, and it becomes another Latin phrase, "Arcam Dei tango Iesu" which is the tortured phrase "I touch the tomb of God —Jesus" (or could be rearranged to "I touch the tomb of Jesus God"). Clearly, therefore, the tomb in the painting is the real tomb of Jesus, and Poussin was hiding the secret that Jesus and Mary Magdalene shacked up in the French countryside.

Or something like that. I'm not totally sure what the goal of the riddle solution is supposed to.

I should say that The Holy Blood & the Holy Grail authors actually didn't come up with that one, but they had a similar idea. They didn't need to add a verb, though. Their anagram version is "I! Tego arcana Dei" which they take to mean "Begone! I hold God's secrets" although that 'I!' exclamation is a pretty clear sign of an iffy anagram.

Also, Pierre Plantard claimed 'et in Arcadia ego' was a family motto or maybe the motto of the Priory of Sion.

Here's some good background info on the painting as well as the anagrams.

I have come to the realization that the bizarre theories that underlie this plot are there because their logic makes absolute perfect sense to an adventure game creator.

Kangra fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Aug 19, 2021

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
I don't remember y'all mentioning this along the way (and I rewatched the end of the last video of 2 just to check), but I've been binge-watching How I Met Your Mother recently, and I'm just at the finale. Would you believe the tarot-obsessed lady from Rittersburg is at the end of the series telling Ted that it's his destiny to talk to his future wife? Can't believe I didn't recognize her the first time through. In fact, she's got lots of credits, including many from after this game.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Kangra posted:

They're mixing a lot of the real world 'mysteries' (which are largely myths, forgeries, and speculation) into the game world, and I hope it doesn't go too deep into it for your sanities' sakes. It's sort of interesting how well they were able to make it sound both insane and plausible, in the way that much of this material often is.

There was one bit in the passage that I didn't quite get. Kind of a spoiler to highlight it, although they basically gave you the answer to the puzzle already.

The line 'et in Arcadia ego _ _ _ ' struck me as odd. Why are there blank spaces there? This is a famous from a 17th Century painting by Nicolas Poussin that depicts a tomb with that inscription, but there is no need for blanks. It's simply 'Et in Arcadia ego', meaning word-for-word 'And in Arcadia I', and taken to possibly mean "I [death] am also in Arcadia", or "I[guy in tomb] lived in Arcadia" or even "I am [now] in Arcadia". (Arcadia is figuratively used to mean an idyllic, unspoiled place). The phrase is technically missing a verb, but poetry doesn't demand it, and the ambiguity of it is what makes it interesting.

The answer the game implies is

Et in Arcadia ego _sum_ , which makes it a complete sentence but only in the present tense — "And I too am in Arcadia".

Why would anyone care about that, though?

It turns out that one of the theories is that this painting is actually a riddle. To figure it out, though, you have to conclude that this inscription, being 'ungrammatical', needs to have cat hair a word added to it. So you add the word 'sum'. Then you have to anagram it, and it becomes another Latin phrase, "Arcam Dei tango Iesu" which is the tortured phrase "I touch the tomb of God —Jesus" (or could be rearranged to "I touch the tomb of Jesus God"). Clearly, therefore, the tomb in the painting is the real tomb of Jesus, and Poussin was hiding the secret that Jesus and Mary Magdalene shacked up in the French countryside.

Or something like that. I'm not totally sure what the goal of the riddle solution is supposed to.

I should say that The Holy Blood & the Holy Grail authors actually didn't come up with that one, but they had a similar idea. They didn't need to add a verb, though. Their anagram version is "I! Tego arcana Dei" which they take to mean "Begone! I hold God's secrets" although that 'I!' exclamation is a pretty clear sign of an iffy anagram.

Also, Pierre Plantard claimed 'et in Arcadia ego' was a family motto or maybe the motto of the Priory of Sion.

Here's some good background info on the painting as well as the anagrams.

I have come to the realization that the bizarre theories that underlie this plot are there because their logic makes absolute perfect sense to an adventure game creator.

Well, having to go through La Serpent Rouge piece by piece is set up well, but is a little nutty given some of the back-and-forth that we've done already and the back-and-forth I imagine we'll be doing as we get further into the document.

Nidoking posted:

I don't remember y'all mentioning this along the way (and I rewatched the end of the last video of 2 just to check), but I've been binge-watching How I Met Your Mother recently, and I'm just at the finale. Would you believe the tarot-obsessed lady from Rittersburg is at the end of the series telling Ted that it's his destiny to talk to his future wife? Can't believe I didn't recognize her the first time through. In fact, she's got lots of credits, including many from after this game.

A lot of the people in GK2 have some interesting acting credits, and some pop up in very unexpected places. My favorites (and definitely unexpected/unnoticed) is that Herr Doktor Klingmann is also Hitler in "Man in the High Castle", Kommissar Leber gets to ham things up in C&C Red Alert 2, and that Tomas was an assistant director on the game.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
So, a quick heads up, Discord for iPad seems to have introduced a bug with their last update that breaks sound through headphones/line out, so we are a little bit stuck until that’s taken care of. Part 9 coming soon, but Part 10 may be a bit further delayed. :v:

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Dewgy posted:

So, a quick heads up, Discord for iPad seems to have introduced a bug with their last update that breaks sound through headphones/line out, so we are a little bit stuck until that’s taken care of. Part 9 coming soon, but Part 10 may be a bit further delayed. :v:

Every service we use breaks itself for our purposes after a while. Same thing happened when we used join.me all those ages ago. Hopefully its not a permanent thing so we can get back on this!

Enjoy part 9 in the meantime! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBNDdR4BH3M

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

I HEARD YOU MISSED US; WE'RE BACK!

PART 10 YO https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_v9eOuYOY9c

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
I really do love the ancient GPS unit. Definitely a sign of the times right there, where even the computer feels fairly modern-ish thanks to the faked UI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneWingedDevil
Aug 27, 2012
Is the mountain that Paul was pointing to already a point of interest?