Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

OneWingedDevil posted:

Is the mountain that Paul was pointing to already a point of interest?

Not at that point, no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Onto part 11! We explore more of Dan Brown's wet dream!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICLlg6FiUPk

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
So much geometry…remind me again which puzzle this game has that is critically acclaimed? Or have we not gotten to it yet?

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Dewgy posted:

So much geometry…remind me again which puzzle this game has that is critically acclaimed? Or have we not gotten to it yet?

It's the whole of the "Le Serpent Rouge" puzzle. I will admit that it's implementation is kinda clever, but some of the steps involved are...well, reaches.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I'm kind of hoping that "Le Serpent Rouge" ends up being a complete red herring, and Jane Jensen Grace continues to spout nonsense while Gabriel goes and takes care of the actual vampires.

Other things I've noticed:
Everyone's body is kind of weird, but Moseley really has some T. Rex arms going on in some scenes.

The music that plays in the lobby sounds a lot like Moby's "Porcelain".

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Kangra posted:

I'm kind of hoping that "Le Serpent Rouge" ends up being a complete red herring

That would be very Sierra of them :c00l:

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

So, it would appear we've most definitely entered the endgame here. Next episode after this should be the last one, so buckle in! :aliexpress:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VPKvroQ6LE

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
A sure sign of the endgame in one of these is that we die a lot, so I think you’re right. :haw:

OneWingedDevil
Aug 27, 2012
I was wondering if the Templar symbol was an indicator of where to start on the board, and it looks like I was right!

I'm also super amused by the scene at the end there: Gabriel getting sliced along his back so he drapes over the edge of the platform isn't what I expected! I wonder what it looks like from the other direction?

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

OneWingedDevil posted:

I was wondering if the Templar symbol was an indicator of where to start on the board, and it looks like I was right!

I'm also super amused by the scene at the end there: Gabriel getting sliced along his back so he drapes over the edge of the platform isn't what I expected! I wonder what it looks like from the other direction?

You'll probably find out on the next episode! :v:

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Professor Duck posted:

You'll probably find out on the next episode! :v:

....and here's your chance to find out. THE GRAND FINALE! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tGBG8mBbHk

Final thoughts over the whole series (spoiler tags for people that haven't watched through everything)

Dewgy and I discuss this a bit at the end of the video, but here's most of that in text form. I feel like this was a series that had potential, but tried to "stay with the times" without a clue on how to do it. The first game was done well--good plot, good VA, very little in the idea of cheap deaths, and a lot of the puzzles made some sense (and also only 1 way to screw yourself/get into a "dead man walking" scenario, which is good for a Sierra game). If they had continued in that same vein, I feel like they could've done much better with the plot of 2. Since they decided to go FMV without really having any direction on how to put it together well, it...well, it was a pretty painful playthrough, even though the story was put together well, given that we're basically creating fictional history with most of the things in there being true. I know I come back to WC IV a lot, but I feel like that was one of the few FMV heavy games that got some things right, and that was the most expensive video game made for a long time. That also wasn't completely a point-and-click game, so it worked better, I think.

This installment, though? I can understand why the series was canned after this. Again, there are things that the game gets right, in terms of missable pieces of the puzzle, and some time-based puzzles. There's a LOT that goes wrong for it, starting with how gross it is to look at, and to control. The disembodied camera is somewhat of a neat idea, but just not put into practice well here. The plot is....well, just go ee it for yourselves. The La Serpent Rouge puzzle is clever, is not pretty esoteric and hard to parse what you're supposed to do at times.

I kinda feel bad about it. I wish a better product had been produced, but the shot themselves in the foot trying to keep up with the latest tech. Maybe someone will come along and continue the series with Grace, where a sequel seemed to be set up at the end here, but...well, there was so much potential here that seemed to just miss the mark.

Hope you guys enjoyed taking the ride with us! We'll be taking a break and sprucing up things on our channel for a bit, but we'll be back at some point (for good or for bad :v:)!

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
And with that, we all breathe a collective sigh of relief.

I really can't hide how much I thought this one sucked, can I? :v:

Truth be told though, I can't really say I hated it entirely either. From a video game history perspective it is pretty compelling, and almost feels like a framework that someone could totally work with better in a modern context and with a little more polish. The 3D point and click interface is, despite its clunkiness, really neat!

The problem is drat near everything else, sadly. The voice acting's all over the place, the graphics are bad even for the time period due to the art direction, a bunch of the puzzles make little to no sense, and above all else the plot is just plain stupid, from the tie-in comic right up until the unicorn pointlessly escapes after the credits.

It's at least entertaining in its badness, but it's a really sad followup to even the second one. Gabriel Knight 1 was a really solid take on making the adventure game genre a little more edgy and mature, and even the second one in its klodgy FMV glory had a sense of coherency to it, like a lovingly crafted B movie. But Gabriel Knight 3 can really be best described as a complete mess.

GK1 already got a remake and you could do 2 again in a modern game engine with 3D characters without much trouble at all, maybe just a few puzzle tweaks, but to make a third remake you'd have to toss pretty much the whole of what came out and replace it outright. Maybe, maybe keep the basic plot framework of "vampires steal a baby and it's over a Templar secret", but you'd have to be real careful to not make it dumb as all hell.

I wouldn't mind seeing someone crazy enough to try it though. :D

Thanks for trudging through this one with us! This is one of the few LP sets we've done where I went in pretty much blind to the whole series, so this has been a trip for me. Several kinds, as a matter of fact.

Dewgy fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Sep 29, 2021

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

So, that final revelation at the end was that Gabriel is a direct descendent of Longinus, and the Schattenjäger amulet is an absolutely unique artefact made from some magical gold created by Jesus? Do I have that right? Because that's a weird bit of world-building to throw in right at the end.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Tiggum posted:

So, that final revelation at the end was that Gabriel is a direct descendent of Longinus, and the Schattenjäger amulet is an absolutely unique artefact made from some magical gold created by Jesus? Do I have that right? Because that's a weird bit of world-building to throw in right at the end.

More or less, yeah. That’s the main part of the plot that I’d throw right in the garbage honestly, but I’m curious how much of that was intended or alluded to in pre-production stuff before the other two games.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Tiggum posted:

It would certainly appear so.

I'm pretty sure I warned y'all about 3 in a reply to someone on the first page :v:

Kangra
May 7, 2012

The series really did have a remarkable decline in quality, didn't it? It feels like in GK3 that you did a lot of kind of interesting stuff and solved puzzles, but the connectedness and purpose of it is missing since it's assembled so poorly. Nothing actually seemed to matter except to advance the plot, such as it was.

I also didn't realize that, like Dan Brown, the game would so blatantly take its ideas from the hoaxers and quasi-conspiracy theorists in real life. I guess I was accidentally posting spoilers since I had never played the game. Incidentally, the one actual good piece of media that was inspired by the Priory of Sion/Jesus bloodline theory (and the only one I've read in its entirety) is Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco. It's about what happens when people start to take their own speculation way too seriously.

Thanks for another great LP series!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

JohnKilltrane posted:

As far as I'm concerned GK1 is the best adventure game Sierra ever made, and I might actually consider it the greatest adventure game ever (it changes depending on the day, but it's never lower than top 3).

A bit late to the thread, I know. It was much lower profile, and never got a talkie CD version, but I think Conquests of the Longbow was the best Sierra adventure of all time.

Just throwing that out, because I've never seen a good LP of it.