Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Nidoking posted:

I have no idea why they decided to assassinate Grace's character so much in this game, but it's a big departure from the way she reacted to Malia in the first game.
She did kind of explain it in that wonderful burst of acting; she apparently quit school to become a full-time assistant-schattenjäger and instead Gabriel's left her to run his failing bookshop instead of help with the schattenjägering. She does seem to have leapt to the conclusion that it's because he's sleeping with Gerde and doesn't want her around to cramp his style or whatever, but aside from that aspect it's actually pretty reasonable that she'd be upset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Nidoking posted:

Well, sure, but I took it that she was upset in the first game as well, and she targeted her anger at the appropriate people. We've gone from "Gabriel is a lout! I mean, he's out," to "The existence of this secret passage that was clearly built into the castle centuries ago PROVES that infidelity is happening and that makes you a horrible person!" I mean, does she think the workers built that staircase in the past few years? I'm not saying she doesn't have any reason for lashing out the way she does, but it's not a GOOD reason, and I don't like what it says about her that she'd intentionally violate Gerde's privacy, find no actual evidence of anything wrong, get caught in the act, and consider that a good time to try to turn the tables.
Did she target the appropriate people in GK1? It's fine if she doesn't like Gabriel (for any reason or no reason), but I'm not sure she had a a good reason for it. The pseudo-antagonistic relationship they have is amusing, but I don't think we really get enough backstory to know why or how it came about or how serious/ironic it is.

On the other hand, although I do agree with you that her reasoning in this game isn't good, I don't think that really says anything particularly negative about her. She's in a bad mood because of a legitimate grievance and she's expressing her anger - privately, in her own imagination - until she actually finds herself caught doing the wrong thing, at which point she becomes extremely defensive. That's not ideal, obviously, but it's pretty relatable.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

That's almost incomprehensible. :stare:

It's hard to tell what's happening in the illustrations, it's impossible to tell what order you're supposed to read the panels and dialogue balloons (until after you've read them), and the plot jumps around without exposition. It's like if you described a comic to someone who'd never heard of the concept before and they tried to make their own. Good attempt, but maybe you should have looked at some examples first?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Professor Duck posted:

Probably not a huge help, but I have found a video of someone reading through the thing in order. Key here is "reading"--don't expect too much in the realm of "dramatic action": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9ZlEFkx46M

That actually is a little easier to follow.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

John de Lancie is on Cameo for $150. Lindsay Lohan costs $375. And purple grapes are used to make wine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

So, that final revelation at the end was that Gabriel is a direct descendent of Longinus, and the Schattenjäger amulet is an absolutely unique artefact made from some magical gold created by Jesus? Do I have that right? Because that's a weird bit of world-building to throw in right at the end.