Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Nidoking posted:

I could swear there's a fast way to cross screens like Marienplatz. Either you right-click while the character is walking to zip to the far end, or in that screen in particular, I think there's a different arrow at the top or bottom of the edge that takes you straight to the opposite side.

On the Steam version there's a special double arrow icon if you hover near the top left/right corners that jumps you to the other side. I'm not sure if it was in the original version though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Professor Duck posted:

It most certainly isn't in this (the GOG) version :v:

Y'all get to experience it the "right" way

If it really annoys you the Steam version is only $6. Who knows, maybe it'll fix the crashing problems also.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Dewgy posted:

Pictured: Me, eagerly anticipating getting started on Gabriel Knight 3.

If you're talking about the one puzzle, it's not representative of the game and I'm pretty sure I remember reading in an interview it was forced in by Sierra. I'm not saying there aren't other issues though.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Professor Duck posted:

Anyway, moving on from there, we're off to....THE PUZZLE. Yes, THAT puzzle, and I will only be referring to this as "THE PUZZLE" in any way. I know there's stupider ones in different games, but this is probably the more famous of those (Longest Journey comes to mind immediately. I know there's a super convoluted one in Runescape, too)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8t5EzIguyb0

Those hanging panels in the museum have different text on the back that you missed (biography of Sauniere).

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Professor Duck posted:

We might have to go and check those out later. From a couple of things so far, it seems we can miss stuff and not necessarily be penalized for it...unless we've unwittingly gotten ourselves into a "dead man walking" scenario. Of course, this being a Sierra game, it's an entirely likely scenario :v:

There are a lot of optional missable content/points, including a few timed sections, but you can't get locked out of actually finishing the game.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

whitehelm posted:

There are a lot of optional missable content/points, including a few timed sections, but you can't get locked out of actually finishing the game.

Actually I think I'll start pointing out stuff you permanently missed (those panels will be there all game, they don't count for points or anything).
By the way when you hear the clock ticking noise that means time passed and people have moved around to new locations.

Ep1: You didn't ask Jean about the tour group (because you hadn't learned about the group from Mosely yet) so you lost 2 points. I don't know for sure how long before you can't get this conversation option anymore.

Ep2: After leaving the church Lady Howard and Estelle are in the dining room, you can talk to them a bit but there are no points. Buchelli will also be there (you can actually follow him from the church) but you can't talk to him. That noise you heard while talking to Mosely was indeed Emilio Baza eavesdropping on you again using a glass against the door. If you had exited the conversation in the middle and caught him you would've got 5 points.
During THE PUZZLE Buchelli is at the top of the Tour Magdala (you saw him through the binoculars in ep3)..you can talk to him but for no points. There's also a conversation with Mosely about how he should make sure to keep his passport on him.

Ep3: This one's really dumb. The 2-4pm time block ends when you've followed Wilkes and Madeline unlocking the two locations, and finished with either Larry Chester or the train station. The 4-6pm block ends when you do the other one (Larry or train) and return to town. If you return to town EARLY in the 4-6pm block (not doing both locations) then decide to wander over to the church graveyard you can open the window and see a scene between Arnoud and Madeline who suddenly decided to return from wandering around with Mosely. 5 points missed here for not being psychic.

Ep4: I'm pretty sure you know this one, but since you were screwing around with the wrong window you missed recording Arnoud's phone call after the two men questioned him, which means you missed 7 points now, and 4 points later for scanning/translating it in the computer.
Sidenote here, you can follow the car directly from the hotel, you don't need to go somewhere else to do it.
After the handshake there was a "time passed" noise which means everyone moved around. Wilkes and Buchelli took off on their bikes for the bar, Emilio went down to the hotel lobby, and Madeline, Lady Howard and Estelle went to the dining room. You could've talked to all of them but for no points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Professor Duck posted:

Oh, jeez...I have a feeling this list is gonna get a LOT bigger :v: Thanks for picking up the stuff we missed!

Onto part 5: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYHEdaXLJQM

Ep5: We've got some "things you didn't miss" here! You can obviously fail to sneak past Roxanne and get access to the rooms for later. She just boots you out the first time (luckily you had already unlocked Emilio's dumbwaiter) but after the second time she starts permablocking the doors with the cart and you're done. Everything in the 3 dumbwaiter rooms (Emilio, Buchelli, and Wilkes) is optional. The 2 balcony rooms are required so if you mess up there's an alternate way into those, you can exit out your own window, climb over the roof, and go into their rooms from the balconies.
Back to missed points, in Buchelli's room you didn't search his dresser where you would've found his Not-from-Naples train ticket and something else along with 4 points (there's another way of finding out Buchelli's deal later I believe, so I'm being vague).

Ep6: Things you didn't miss: If you don't hide in the attic wardrobe fast enough, you get caught and forced out of the house. If that happens the cellar door will suddenly be unlocked, and you can go straight to the basement/wine press room but you would've missed anything left in the attic and everything in the study.
Things you did miss: Before you sneaked into the house, you could've gone into the wine-tasting room and talked to Abbe Arnoud for 2 points (Grace doesn't want to talk to anyone else).
At the start of Gabriel's segment, you're on a 5 min timer to overhear a bunch of stuff. You got Wilkes and Buchelli's phone call but missed Madeline's call and Lady Howard/Estelles talk for 2 points each. Getting everything here is tricky, you have to know exactly where to go and stay away from Jean because his automatic talk with you wastes too much time. At the crime scene answering Vampires first would've gotten 2 points. You didn't get the tire treads from the Scots car for 2 points which you could've used to compare to various tire marks. Also Arnoud is at the top of Magdala and you could've asked him about his confrontation with the Scots for 2 points (but he doesn't really tell you anything).

Ep7: You didn't miss anything important but you could've tried an auto detailing ID at the vineyard also (because you're still looking for the black sedan).
Some interesting notes: If you had missed getting Buchelli's print from his suitcase you could've gotten it from his glass here, but Gabriel needs to know who has which glass in that case, which if I remember correctly means you would've had to look at them while they were drinking. There's also a way for the game to ask the player which is right (you pick between Wilkes/Buchelli icons) but I don't remember what leads to that. You can actually follow Estelle directly from the hotel after seeing her bump into Emilio to find her dig site but you don't get the points for it for some reason.