Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JohnKilltrane
Dec 30, 2020

As far as I'm concerned GK1 is the best adventure game Sierra ever made, and I might actually consider it the greatest adventure game ever (it changes depending on the day, but it's never lower than top 3). But man, it's got some stuff that's really become uncomfortable for me as I've gotten older. Like the fact that the only two practitioners of voodoo who aren't bad guys are the only two practitioners of voodoo who are white. And there's definite undertones of "spooky black people with their gangs and their pagan religions." And I don't think it's intentional, I think it's just a product of Sierra and Jane Jenson writing in a time and medium where consciousness wasn't exactly widespread. But it's something that stands out to me today, and dampens my enthusiasm for what's otherwise an excellent game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JohnKilltrane
Dec 30, 2020

Yvershek posted:

Yeah, there are plenty of YIKES things going on with Sierra. Remember that they let Darryl Gates lead a game because they felt he got an unfair reputation from the LA riots.

Huh. I didn't know that bit. Welp.