Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Let’s be honest, what is a Sierra game other than a hidden object game at heart? They called ‘em pixel hunts for a reason ya know. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Nidoking posted:

I don't know whether to be disappointed or relieved that you didn't climb the ladder in the bookshop. The result was the second most quoted line from this game among my friends.

Well I don't think we locked ourselves out of it so maybe we can backtrack a lil bit. :D

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

mateo360 posted:

What can you tell me about Voodoo?

Uncanny, I can hear it in my head already and we’re only one episode in.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

cuc posted:

Suggestion: the game audio is currently too quiet in your video compared to your commentary. I think it can be similarly loud (though you should pay attention to the music volume relative to voice acting), since you are not talking over the voice acting.

Duly noted! We actually record the game and commentary separately and I mix it in post, so this is something I can fix going forward without too much trouble. Once part two is up (probably tomorrow) let me know how it is. :D

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Kangra posted:

Scheißjäger could mean one thing, but scheiß- is often as not used that way as an intensifier (something like 'the drat hunter') or it could also mean 'the lovely hunter'.

I am entirely OK with this. :haw:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Kangra posted:

What do you know, it is them!

Incredible. :allears:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
I know we gave the sponsorship slot to the subscription box, but I still think there's some money in those bacon-scented firelogs...

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Gotta love that thumbnail. :allears:

“Shush, Gabriel! They can hear your scene chewing from three blocks away!”

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
drat astrologers, always tryin’ to kill my buzz. :argh:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Nidoking posted:

It is entirely possible to miss your opportunity in Mosely's office after sending the beignet guy to the police station. If you leave and return, Frick is back at the desk and full of beignet, and the vendor will never return. You're not screwed, though... Frick will nod off at his desk, and you just need to sneak through while his head's down. It's one of the most ridiculous things in the game by far, and the novelization skipped the beignet puzzle entirely. The alternate solution that it uses was also migrated to the remake.

That’s pretty fantastic. This game really is a lot more fair than other Sierra games.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
All’s well that ends well! Except that really didn’t end well for just about anyone involved, but hey whatever. :v:

I’m actually pretty curious since we didn’t talk about this in depth, but are there any ways to die that we missed? Those mummies seemed like the first lethal thing we came across, and it’s surprising how late in the game they were.

If that’s the first time you can die, a no-save run of this thing has got to be a gigantic pain in the rear end to attempt.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
I think some of it comes down to just weird direction too. A lot of these games were made by people with a love of film, but not exactly skilled directors. (See: Chris Roberts. :v: )

The random camera mugging though feels kind of unique to this one. It’s charming in a hilarious B-movie kind of way, but it’ll never not stand out to me when Gabriel goes through seventeen emotions in two seconds, then follows it up by saying literally nothing.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Hel posted:

Wow, Gabriel is so embarrassing, it's hard to watch.

The acting in this game is pure RiffTrax tier across the board, it’s pretty impressive. I briefly wondered why only the first game in the series got a remake a few years ago, and... well, now I know why. :v:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Professor Duck posted:

Well, I don't think anyone wants to re-experience FMV hell, for one...but just about anything would be an improvement over the acting here. At least WC IV had....y'know.....actors.

Anyway, onto episode 3!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gm2G1_0ZraY

Counterpoint: WC IV had the muppet costume. I don’t think this game does.

Though now that I think about it, we haven’t seen the werewolf yet…

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

whitehelm posted:

If it really annoys you the Steam version is only $6. Who knows, maybe it'll fix the crashing problems also.

We managed to fix that actually! Or at least we think so. Turns out it wasn’t bundled with the latest ScummVM, which was a fairly easy fix.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Professor Duck posted:

Welcome to the "interactive movie"!

Especially going from something like the first game to this, there's a lot that's lost. I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that the designers of the first game had to rely more on dialog and setting rather than "acting", like what's on display here. While the tech was "more advanced", what was done here wasn't really effective, relying on green screen settings and enough mugging to fill a major city's prison (not to mention that direction seems to be non-existent) I imagine that plenty of dialog and development had to be pared out because of the media--this game originally came on 6 CDs, and I can't imagine that they could've taken any more space without the thing getting even more expensive.

Things we don’t have room for: More dialogue, consistent direction

Things we have infinite room for: Ten seconds of blank staring after every single scene

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
I'll never not be grateful to all the actors in this game for giving us an endless series of great screenshots for preview images. Usually I have to upload one myself or get lucky when YouTube auto-generates one from a good frame, but for GK2 they've all been pure gold so far. It's so hard to choose. :allears:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

For real though, was there something that would have led us to toss the flower in the lake? Like, in Day of the Tentacle you can get a tiny hint about car washing causing rainstorms when you play as Bernard, but I don’t recall anyone or anything saying a drat thing about lake flowers in this game.

I mean, I haven’t been taking notes or anything, but I don’t feel like that would have helped either.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Professor Duck posted:

Part 11 will be the end, then.....the horror truly begins...

Pictured: Me, eagerly anticipating getting started on Gabriel Knight 3.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

whitehelm posted:

If you're talking about the one puzzle, it's not representative of the game and I'm pretty sure I remember reading in an interview it was forced in by Sierra. I'm not saying there aren't other issues though.

The infamous puzzle is something I’ve heard of before, but I also saw a few screenshots on GoG, and well, my expectations are hells of tempered right now.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
It didn’t really hit me this way at the time, but I feel like they missed a big opportunity with that last puzzle. It’s a neat idea and concept, but it just sort of comes out of nowhere as a last minute gameplay swerve.

I’d imagine it wouldn’t exactly have been cheap to do, but having an easier version of the puzzle with lower stakes earlier in the game would have been a really good idea. Or maybe just move this one earlier in the game and make the ending one harder, something like that.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Professor Duck posted:

Here we go....it's time for number 3. Please make sure you read the graphic novel that is linked in the description, as there is NO intro beyond what you see in the video...and that really isn't terribly descriptive in terms of what is happening in this game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XW4nHPoejA4

http://sierrahelp.com/Documents/Misc/Gabriel_Knight_3_-_Graphic_Novel.pdf

Here is said link, and it really is as late-90s as it gets.

Much as I'm mocking it, I do love the evolutionary offshoot part of this game as it is. It's some sort of bizarre hybrid between Alone In The Dark/Resident Evil/Grim Fandango kind of early 3D, but trying to do its own thing that never really took off. With what we've done so far, I'd say this is the type of game that would warrant more of a re-take than a re-make. Like, just start over from scratch, toss what actually came out, go for what was originally designed because they clearly overstepped their boundaries here. What ended up getting shipped is interesting, but it's extremely obvious why this was the end of the road for Gabriel Knight.

Still, it's gonna be a fun ride. :buddy:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Hel posted:

Also pretty interesting that despite everything I've hear about this game, no one has ever mentioned the odd camera system, it's a neat idea but I don't really think it works in this game.

It really is something else, isn’t it? Hearing that the dev team was completely baffled by working in 3D makes a lot of sense when you see the end product.

And yeah, the catstache puzzle is definitely more coherent when seeing it live, but not by a whole lot. It seems more like a puzzle where you have to use everything that you can interact with somehow, which I think is a bit more possible when you actually have your hands on it.

I remember Grim Fandango had a couple of puzzles in that vein too, but GF was so weird that it ended up working a good bit better. “Interact with everything” is a lot more doable when the things to interact with are interesting, as opposed to an empty dresser and a random hole in a door.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Please pardon the dust, I screwed up and we have to reupload the video, accidentally left a chunk of part 3 at the beginning. :v:

e: Problem resolved! Will be back shortly.

Dewgy fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Aug 1, 2021

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Professor Duck posted:

I don't know...I feel like the fingerprints are pretty vital things and, while I could be totally off-base, I feel like the game wouldn't let things progress unless I found all of the important stuff.

It’s either that or there’ll be time for it later. :v:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
I still can’t get over the half man half grail thing. Who the hell comes up with that?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Professor Duck posted:

Dewgy just told me about an interesting experience with that, so I actually knew how much Lohan's cost. Maybe someone could throw $150 at de Lancie and see if he'll do the AM monologue. :v:

I feel like I’m getting deja vu here.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

OneWingedDevil posted:

…and the end result should be that something special is hiding inside them.

It can be only one thing: Pepe Silvia.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
So, a quick heads up, Discord for iPad seems to have introduced a bug with their last update that breaks sound through headphones/line out, so we are a little bit stuck until that’s taken care of. Part 9 coming soon, but Part 10 may be a bit further delayed. :v:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
I really do love the ancient GPS unit. Definitely a sign of the times right there, where even the computer feels fairly modern-ish thanks to the faked UI.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
So much geometry…remind me again which puzzle this game has that is critically acclaimed? Or have we not gotten to it yet?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
A sure sign of the endgame in one of these is that we die a lot, so I think you’re right. :haw:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
And with that, we all breathe a collective sigh of relief.

I really can't hide how much I thought this one sucked, can I? :v:

Truth be told though, I can't really say I hated it entirely either. From a video game history perspective it is pretty compelling, and almost feels like a framework that someone could totally work with better in a modern context and with a little more polish. The 3D point and click interface is, despite its clunkiness, really neat!

The problem is drat near everything else, sadly. The voice acting's all over the place, the graphics are bad even for the time period due to the art direction, a bunch of the puzzles make little to no sense, and above all else the plot is just plain stupid, from the tie-in comic right up until the unicorn pointlessly escapes after the credits.

It's at least entertaining in its badness, but it's a really sad followup to even the second one. Gabriel Knight 1 was a really solid take on making the adventure game genre a little more edgy and mature, and even the second one in its klodgy FMV glory had a sense of coherency to it, like a lovingly crafted B movie. But Gabriel Knight 3 can really be best described as a complete mess.

GK1 already got a remake and you could do 2 again in a modern game engine with 3D characters without much trouble at all, maybe just a few puzzle tweaks, but to make a third remake you'd have to toss pretty much the whole of what came out and replace it outright. Maybe, maybe keep the basic plot framework of "vampires steal a baby and it's over a Templar secret", but you'd have to be real careful to not make it dumb as all hell.

I wouldn't mind seeing someone crazy enough to try it though. :D

Thanks for trudging through this one with us! This is one of the few LP sets we've done where I went in pretty much blind to the whole series, so this has been a trip for me. Several kinds, as a matter of fact.

Dewgy fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Sep 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Tiggum posted:

So, that final revelation at the end was that Gabriel is a direct descendent of Longinus, and the Schattenjäger amulet is an absolutely unique artefact made from some magical gold created by Jesus? Do I have that right? Because that's a weird bit of world-building to throw in right at the end.

More or less, yeah. That’s the main part of the plot that I’d throw right in the garbage honestly, but I’m curious how much of that was intended or alluded to in pre-production stuff before the other two games.