Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roxors
Feb 18, 2011

Samovar posted:

I remember the last LP of the Freelance Astronauts.

Their let's play of new super Mario bros Wii is still one of the funniest drunken clusterfucks I have ever seen. Looks like their website has finally died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

Samovar posted:

I remember the last LP of the Freelance Astronauts.

What was their last LP? I used to love their stuff.

I think the first LP I ever watched was their LP of Resident Evil 4 - on the LP Archive, long before I finally registered here. What a classic.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Roxors posted:

Their let's play of new super Mario bros Wii is still one of the funniest drunken clusterfucks I have ever seen. Looks like their website has finally died.

For me, it was JFK Reloaded. They took a really dark and tasteless game and made it... well still ready dark, but also loving hilarious too. Fer's JFK impression was sublime.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Wonder what happened with them - Maxwell Adam's hasn't been on twitter for some time, but then again, who would blame 'em?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Nuclear Pizza posted:

And Blip and Stage6 :(

Blip, the only time I ever made money off LPs thanks to slowly trickling ad revenue.
It was only like 5 dollars or something and then I think they turned it off for me because it was automated payment and I wasn't really eligible for it anyway. :v:

Ah yeah, it was Freelance astronauts that sorta brought me into this whole place because Maxwell, or someone else, found my old System Shock 2 LP that I was doing for another forum in Swedish and found it interesting.
I think it was a combination of that and the RPG campaign threads in The Game Room.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Mar 26, 2021

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

I just rewatched their master quest run like a month ago. There's definitely jokes that aged like poo poo, but the playthrough itself is still really funny.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

quote:

It's SALP's birthday today, and it's 14!

That can only mean one thing...BRING IT IN GUYS!!!

*every let's player from every VLP, SSLP, hybrid LP, Sandcastle thread, Discord, and off-site come in with everything for a HUGE party*

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
i thought of that joke on the actual day but only posted it now :negative:

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

It won't really be a birthday till slowbeef posts again

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
i was gonna say that i remember slowbeef posting in the Sandcastle last year but when I checked it was actually two years ago... i no longer have a concept of time thanks to this quarantine, hahaha

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I remember probating slowbeef for not posting a new LP thread in the New LP Thread Thread like it was yesterday...

(It was 2015, the year I became a mod. The probation was approved by Ralp.)

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Ralp... now there's a name I haven't heard in a while

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Fedule posted:

I remember probating slowbeef for not posting a new LP thread in the New LP Thread Thread like it was yesterday...

(It was 2015, the year I became a mod. The probation was approved by Ralp.)

I remember I got probated by slowbeef because I photoshopped Dash Rendar's face on the Rainbow Dash from My Little Pony as a joke and it made him so mad he apparently hit the button right then and there.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

:rip: Richard Gamingo.

That name sounds familiar, is he actually dead

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
not as far as anyone knows. he just stopped posting.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

what is death, but the lack of posting

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

That name sounds familiar, is he actually dead

Nobody knows, he just disappeared in a puff of smoke around 2014/2015. He set everything to private at first and then carpet-bombed his whole LP career overnight. There are still remnants that aren't exactly hard to find as he posted the links himself back in the day, it's up to you if you want to put in the effort to find them and whether they still work or not.

Edit: I remember that he used to stand up while recording his videos and he also once used the N-word during an LP.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Mar 26, 2021

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
:pray: hoping LP mods of the past will stop by for the celebration and share LP lore stories with us.

though i don't know who all is still actively posting on the site. JordanKai... Mega64... Geop... who else?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

Nobody knows, he just disappeared in a puff of smoke around 2014/2015. He set everything to private at first and then carpet-bombed his whole LP career overnight. There are still remnants that aren't exactly hard to find as he posted the links himself back in the day, it's up to you if you want to put in the effort to find them and whether they still work or not.

Edit: I remember that he used to stand up while recording his videos and he also once used the N-word during an LP.

He also came back like a few months after his LP career fizzled out and drove Biz/Fin nuts by incessantly posting in various stock market threads about the benefits of drinking your own urine.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

He also came back like a few months after his LP career fizzled out and drove Biz/Fin nuts by incessantly posting in various stock market threads about the benefits of drinking your own urine.
Oh man, I wish I saw that :staredog:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Geop posted:

Oh, Geop! You missed our lasted LP flameout weirdo, wesflarger, who registered like 4 alt accounts to evade bans and probations, stole his best friend's online handle and accidentally got their lovely DeviantArt page helldumped by GBS, made a 10 minute video screaming about how I probated him once, got 100k'd three times in a row by Fedule, and at last check is now posting recordings of racist prank calls he makes to out of state Wal-Marts and high schools on YouTube because...?

Wes was a special boy and we miss him dearly.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

nine-gear crow posted:

recordings of racist prank calls he makes to out of state Wal-Marts and high schools on YouTube

Uh...

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

He pretends to be a native Hawaiian and uses the calls to as an excuse to repeatedly say really obscure racial slurs over and over again while the recording victims become increasingly confused and then hang up on him.

He does this while playing Skyrim.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

nine-gear crow posted:

Oh, Geop! You missed our lasted LP flameout weirdo, wesflarger, who registered like 4 alt accounts to evade bans and probations, stole his best friend's online handle and accidentally got their lovely DeviantArt page helldumped by GBS, made a 10 minute video screaming about how I probated him once, got 100k'd three times in a row by Fedule, and at last check is now posting recordings of racist prank calls he makes to out of state Wal-Marts and high schools on YouTube because...?

He also shilled his novel in GBS, which went as well as expected.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Geop posted:

I found the stock market thread he was posting in but I can't see any mention of piss. This may require archives:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3259986&userid=208978

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Mar 27, 2021

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Most likely that stuff is lost to time - he was posting this stuff in mid-2014 which is exactly when the forum software was deleting threads forever because they were being moved to archives and then deleted from main, except the 'moved to archives' part wasn't working.

The threads he posted in LP (as "Urine Philosopher" and "RichardGamingololo") linked to these reddit posts which are still around, though.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Polsy posted:

Most likely that stuff is lost to time - he was posting this stuff in mid-2014 which is exactly when the forum software was deleting threads forever because they were being moved to archives and then deleted from main, except the 'moved to archives' part wasn't working.

The threads he posted in LP (as "Urine Philosopher" and "RichardGamingololo") linked to these reddit posts which are still around, though.

Quite possibly, there does seem to be a lot of threads to view for 2014 so there may be some hope. I might be able to find something if I had time frames, I don't have the time to trawl through endless posts right now. These posts are definitely in the archive or lost to server malfunctions and those alts turn up nothing in the search engine.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I've just looked into the earliest archives entries, I believe the earliest entry from the LP forum itself is UN Squadron by Sinix, which was started on March 4th 2007.

I'm guessing that other LP's were moved into this forum as I see a Bioforge LP that was started in 2006. I need to take a break from this as I have an LP to update and housework to do.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I still say he should've leaned into it and styled his channel 'Richard Gamingo, the Gaming Flamingo', he would've done numbers like nobody's business.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

This subforum has been really a great source of entertainment. I found it through the archive, when I was looking up stuff about I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream, iirc, waaaaay back in the day (2007? I don't remember for sure).

Happy birthday, Let's Play subforum!

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Let's throw a Medicham into a volcano and make it give the T2 thumbs up!

nine-gear crow posted:

Is that the same radical dude that was too cool for rulez? The one that proceeded to shoot a video in portrait of his wide-screen monitor and fingerprint plastered everything? I think it was supposed to be a slam against you, but just provided everyone with more material to blast him for.

I miss them. That was like the only weirdo I have gotten to experience since I only joined the site about three years ago.

I started out reading TheDarkid stuff at work because I had really boring desk jobs throughout my 20's. When I ran out of LPArchive stuff, I started trying to read new stuff on the site itself, which is when I decided to pay up for an account (The paywall certainly did its job).

Psycho Knight fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Mar 27, 2021

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Psycho Knight posted:

Is that the same radical dude that was too cool for rulez? The one that proceeded to shoot a video in portrait of his wide-screen monitor and fingerprint plastered everything? I think it was supposed to be a slam against you, but just provided everyone with more material to blast him for.

I miss them. That was like the only weirdo I have gotten to experience since I only joined the site about three years ago.

I started out reading TheDarkid stuff at work because I had really boring desk jobs throughout my 20's. When I ran out of LPArchive stuff, I started trying to read new stuff on the site itself, which is when I decided to pay up for an account (The paywall certainly did its job).

Sadly, as SA has faded into internet obscurity and tastes have shifted from Let's Plays to full on streaming, it's become a less and less fertile ground for first post faceplant wannabe LPers seeking instant e-fame with nothing but a lovely video and a heaping helping of Dunning Kruger to offer.

I started to feel bad about poking fun at those folks after a while, but wes? He made himself instantly hateable for literally no reason.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Mar 27, 2021

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

He also did a rant video for Burt Sexual too as well as one or two in general about getting banned from here. They all seem to be taken down now which is a shame as they were the most viewed videos on his entire channel.

When he first posted a lot of us tried to be helpful with providing links to better edit his OP and advice in general, to which he nodded and said he would read and take on board everyone's advice. Then he'd post brand new threads ignoring all of the rules yet again and ignored any help given before, which resulted in his first ban and meltdown.

He started an LP thread which was a link to a three-year-old compilation video that wasn't an LP or even a video on his own channel: "Let's Play Lost Planet" https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3913983

He also did things like post three threads of the same LP\Stream, at least he made some effort in the LP for this one:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3914525
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3914553
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3914530

Holy moly, I didn't even see his new thread from two months ago:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3956582

Here is his book thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3917402

It's always nice to have new faces here but Wes was a force unto himself.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Pour one out for all the LPs that never finished their run. Fantasy General, Armageddon Empires, Spirit Engine, etc.

Pour two out for all the LPs that finished but never made the archive.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

nine-gear crow posted:

Sadly, as SA has faded into internet obscurity and tastes have shifted from Let's Plays to full on streaming, it's become a less and less fertile ground for first post faceplant wannabe LPers seeking instant e-fame with nothing but a lovely video and a heaping helping of Dunning Kruger to offer.

Reminded of the guys who wanted to do a gaming podcast, as in "We play games and talk about various topics unrelated to the game itself as if we were a news site". I remember telling them to go and check with the podcast board and you telling me they were going to get torn to pieces for their terrible product.
Think I saw their thread like once or twice without barely any replies to it before it disappeared. :v:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Cooked Auto posted:

Reminded of the guys who wanted to do a gaming podcast, as in "We play games and talk about various topics unrelated to the game itself as if we were a news site". I remember telling them to go and check with the podcast board and you telling me they were going to get torn to pieces for their terrible product.
Think I saw their thread like once or twice without barely any replies to it before it disappeared. :v:

Turns out one or both of them--at the very least the guy running the account that was posting the videos here and running their subreddit (yes, they had a subreddit)--was a massive alt-right shithead. I'll give them some credit though, they at least knew well enough to keep that poo poo tamped down while they were here very briefly. Looks like they just stopped making videos all together a year ago, so I guess that experiment officially failed.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

habituallyred posted:

Pour one out for all the LPs that never finished their run. Fantasy General, Armageddon Empires, Spirit Engine, etc.

Pour two out for all the LPs that finished but never made the archive.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2564759

July 19th 2007, Spirit Armor started a Sakura Wars LP while translating the whole drat thing. It was last updated July 10th 2014.

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

I started reading the forums because of the Sonic 2006 LP. Happy birthday LP!

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

dismas posted:

I started reading the forums because of the Sonic 2006 LP. Happy birthday LP!
SIX ORDERS OF GENERAL TSO'S CHICKEN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azren
Feb 14, 2011

CannonFodder posted:

SIX ORDERS OF GENERAL TSO'S CHICKEN

Wouldn't have it any other way!