Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

nine-gear crow posted:

Turns out one or both of them--at the very least the guy running the account that was posting the videos here and running their subreddit (yes, they had a subreddit)--was a massive alt-right shithead. I'll give them some credit though, they at least knew well enough to keep that poo poo tamped down while they were here very briefly. Looks like they just stopped making videos all together a year ago, so I guess that experiment officially failed.

You know, can't say I'm all that surprised.

habituallyred posted:

Pour one out for all the LPs that never finished their run. Fantasy General, Armageddon Empires, Spirit Engine, etc.

Pour two out for all the LPs that finished but never made the archive.

The narrative Civ 4 LP from waaaaay back comes into mind. Pretty sure it got archived despite being unfinished, because it was that good.

Also speaking of LP memories, randomly I remembered earlier the time I absolutely lost it when I was co-commentator during TyrantSabre's LP of Saboteur. Pretty sure I did it twice even.
Once when he blew up a cow with a democharge and I think got killed by glitching out on a train in either the same or another video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Aw man, now I remember the LP that Dan and LithuanianDad made of Lost Planet is lost to the ages... I'll never get the chance to see giant bug monsters get machine-gunned to death to the tune of the Floral Dance again...

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!
I think my earliest LP memory is stumbling onto the forums way back when the Sprung LP by Slowbeef was the current big thing. I really should reread that as a nostalgic celebration.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

What got me here was Wiz's old Hohenzollern LP.

Jesenjin
Nov 12, 2011

Technowolf posted:

What got me here was Wiz's old Hohenzollern LP.

For me it was that LP and his Crete LP, as well as Grey's first iteration of Day by day on the Pacific ocean.
Literally bought the account due to those LPs.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Samovar posted:

Aw man, now I remember the LP that Dan and LithuanianDad made of Lost Planet is lost to the ages... I'll never get the chance to see giant bug monsters get machine-gunned to death to the tune of the Floral Dance again...

Pretty sure I have some of the art from that still saved because I have problems.

Also from another LP of yore:

Oddly enough that is still a phrase I remember to this day.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Salute to the subforum, it's literally why I joined SA! Haven't been here nearly that long but it's been a good time.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Cooked Auto posted:

Pretty sure I have some of the art from that still saved because I have problems.

He got a big face.

In all honesty, is there any chance, ANY at all that there is a record of that LP? I hadn't thought about it in ages and am not sure how one could find something like it.

OneWingedDevil
Aug 27, 2012
Weird to think I've been on this board for over half of it's lifetime. Even weirder that I went back to the LP archives for a while after getting an account and found out that it hadn't been canceled after something like 5 years. That was swell. :v:

CannonFodder posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2564759

July 19th 2007, Spirit Armor started a Sakura Wars LP while translating the whole drat thing. It was last updated July 10th 2014.

One of the first LPs I read on the forum. Possibly *the* first. I haven't thought about it in forever. :(

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

God almighty, I actually think the first LP I saw was TheDarkId and RE4.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

first LP i saw was KOTOR II by Scorchy, on the lp archive. someone on the gamefaqs board for kotor ii linked it i think?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Chewbot's Animal Crossing Wild World one was my first. What a good LP that was...

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

biosterous posted:

first LP i saw was KOTOR II by Scorchy, on the lp archive. someone on the gamefaqs board for kotor ii linked it i think?

For a long time, it was the best place to get an in-depth overview of the cut content for the game before the restoration mods came out. It was also the first place I ever saw the Kreia/Handmaiden connection made. That blew my mind the first time I saw it.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

dismas posted:

I started reading the forums because of the Sonic 2006 LP. Happy birthday LP!

My favorite part of Sonic 06 was when they spent a video and a half on one speed trial they kept loving up and their overall sanity slipage

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

My favorite part is how none of them keyed in on how to actually use the upgrades they were unlocking

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

My favorite part is how none of them keyed in on how to actually use the upgrades they were unlocking

I believe this was originally posted on the SA LP, so I think it apropos to bring it to everyone's attention.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Samovar posted:

Dani is still around, and she's doing stuff on Youtube, iirc.
ldad has been lost to the internet.

The stuff I remember mostly revolves around the very early start of live streaming, with Oyster, Raar, RChimp, Sartak, and many others doing stuff on ustream.tv

Oh, and I think I was part of a Titan Quest LP with Ceciltron too. Don't remember what happened to that.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Dani is still around, and she's doing stuff on Youtube, iirc.

Yeah, but I wouldn't know how to drop them a line to ask them that since they seem to have stopped posting here (sensible them). Hell, I don't know if it would be even appropriate to do so.

Just A Friend
Jan 11, 2010

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Oh, and I think I was part of a Titan Quest LP with Ceciltron too. Don't remember what happened to that.
I ran that with Ceciltron! Who did you used to be on the forums? It's on the LP archive here: https://lparchive.org/Titan-Quest/

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

I got curious about a Jurassic Park game I vaguely remembered seeing an ad for in the paper when I was little, found that someone with an alarmingly soothing voice had made actual videos of it being played on the internet, started looking around for more examples, and then eventually started browsing the rest of the site that seemed to be connected to it.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

biosterous posted:

Hey, exactly the same here! Of course, it took me years to justify paying for an internet forum account to myself - but it's been worth it.

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

Samovar posted:

Yeah, but I wouldn't know how to drop them a line to ask them that since they seem to have stopped posting here (sensible them). Hell, I don't know if it would be even appropriate to do so.

I think Dani’s said on some streams that it’s effectively lost.

LithDad/Titus has shown up on some of Dani’s streams, fwiw!

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Just A Friend posted:

I ran that with Ceciltron! Who did you used to be on the forums? It's on the LP archive here: https://lparchive.org/Titan-Quest/
I think my character name was Makronautos, but I was in like one episode?
I don't recall, it's been a heck of a long time.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

The neat thing for me I think, is that it's just another thing the forums had. A lot of you have said "oh I joined the forums for LP!" but for me, and probably a lot of the other lifers, it was just this weird little appendix to GBS/GAMES that had some good content. It wasn't until years later that I realized it was probably a significant contributor to this larger movement, which was also very much enabled by youtube, twitch, and the rise of streaming in general. That kind of... organic evolution made it seem like just a bunch of people goofing off if that makes sense, and made the whole thing more intimate and interactive as compared to what "big" LP is today.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

dismas posted:

I think Dani’s said on some streams that it’s effectively lost.

LithDad/Titus has shown up on some of Dani’s streams, fwiw!

Aw mang.

But good re. LithDad!

benjoyce
Aug 3, 2007
Swashbuckler from Meleé island
I joined because of a 2007-2008 Warcraft... II (I'd like to say) LP, and checking back ever since. And to think this forum more or less single-handedly laid down the format for YTLP!s and was the origin of all the 'influencers' that now grace the Internet... The mind boggles.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
*bump*

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Happy 15th Birthday Let's Play Subforum!

Eldsluft
Dec 22, 2021

"Ingenio stat sine morte decus."
I actually found this forum... through an LP in the archive.
I didn't even know why would I end up spending most of my forum life posting LPs (instead my original goal - joining the discussion of an LP).
Turned out it would ruin my life in less than half a year!

Anyway happy birthday. Hope I can have more finished projects till the next birthday.

I also remembered my first time seeing an LP was around 10 years ago, SSLPs for Yume Nikki and its fan games in a now-fallen Chinese forum...
They were less detailed than most SSLPs I saw here though.
It was also not until I start writing my own LPs that I realized how much effort those "records of game screenshots" need.

Eldsluft fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Mar 21, 2022

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Happy fifteenth, LP forum! Have a small Dash to celebrate (I think I first got into watching Ell Pees because of Sally and crow and CJacobs).

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Video Games!

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Philippe posted:

(I think I first got into watching Ell Pees because of Sally and crow and CJacobs).

Woo!

also I'm so sorry.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

also also this is the smallest Dash I've seen yet :goofy:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Sally posted:

quote:

It's SALP's birthday today, and it's 15!

That can only mean one thing...BRING IT IN GUYS!!!

*every let's player from every VLP, SSLP, hybrid LP, Sandcastle thread, Discord, and off-site come in with everything for a HUGE party*

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
Bless our creator slowbeef and may he forgive Gamingo's sins. Let's pay our penance to our divine moderators who protect us from impish behaviour. May our faith provide us with no technical difficulties and uninterrupted workflow.

For this forum is good and therefore we are all good.

Happy birthday SALP!

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Don't forget to update your LPs ya'll

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Happy 15th LP, and congratulations to Baldurk. 2500 LPs archived!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

h15bdsalpsf