Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainACAB
Sep 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of Langley
Ioseb Besarionis dze Jughashvili

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

Adjectivist Philosophy posted:

Jeffrey Tambor really did do his best work on the Larry Sanders show

Tambor/Kurt Fuller chimera

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Salean posted:

osama bin laden

navigation
Sep 30, 2009

Bodyholes posted:

Gore being president in 2000 would mean dems on the Supreme Court, which would mean Veith v Jubilerer 2004 has the opposite outcome and partisan gerrymandering is unconstitutional.

Allowing states to strike down partisan destrict maps in 2004 would vastly improve the situation we'd be in now. 9/11, The War in Iraq, the 2008 crash are all peanuts compared to having state governments that aren't right wing totalitarian dictatorships for the next 50 years.

So my opinion is that voting 3rd party was fully justified any other time. 2004, 2008, 2012, 2016, 2020... However, 2000 was the last time elections mattered and Nader voters ironically signed the death warrant for the project of democracy in America, and the whole world will pay for it.

is this bait?

:hmmyes: yes I am so sad that those dumb voters failed us and failed democracy, the democrats are entitled to those votes and clearly would have gotten them all if Nader didn’t run :hmmyes:

you know that multiple studies afterward showed that he would have won if correct standards were applied uniformly in a recount, right? but the voters still should be blamed, even with that?

I wouldn’t have thought that the last true American patron saint of democracy would be the person that abandoned an active recount of votes to instead support an unelected unaccountable body declaring a winner using logic they themselves said was too baseless to ever be referenced in law again, but I know democrats work in mysterious ways.

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

Dems are not entitled to anything. Just the same way lefties in 1992 could be forgiven for not realizing the extent of how much worse off the left would be with Clinton, there was really no way for disillusioned lefties in 2000 to forsee how damaging Bush's legacy would actually end up being.

This is purely hindsight.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Cloaked posted:

is this bait?

:hmmyes: yes I am so sad that those dumb voters failed us and failed democracy, the democrats are entitled to those votes and clearly would have gotten them all if Nader didn’t run :hmmyes:

you know that multiple studies afterward showed that he would have won if correct standards were applied uniformly in a recount, right? but the voters still should be blamed, even with that?

I wouldn’t have thought that the last true American patron saint of democracy would be the person that abandoned an active recount of votes to instead support an unelected unaccountable body declaring a winner using logic they themselves said was too baseless to ever be referenced in law again, but I know democrats work in mysterious ways.

he was literally winning the recount and would have won handily. the recount was progressing in a timely, expedient manner when the injunction came in to stop it. had 6 hours more passed, we would have had a president gore. the more you read about florida 2000 the more insane you will become.

this part u mentioned:

quote:

using logic they themselves said was too baseless to ever be referenced in law again, but I know democrats work in mysterious ways.

made me lose my mind particularly hard the first time i read it.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Bodyholes posted:

9/11, The War in Iraq, the 2008 crash are all peanuts compared to having state governments that aren't right wing totalitarian dictatorships for the next 50 years.

for who?

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

for americans, everything is peanuts, it's the elections that really matter

Anime Bernie Bro
Feb 4, 2020

FUCK MY ASSHOLE, LOL
The same thing I do every election: write-in Bernie Sanders

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

Ron Paul, obviously. Duh!

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Monica Moorehead

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
a quarter of a million democrats in FL voted for Bush but lol yeah it's Nader's fault Gore lost

Gore also didn't even carry his home state lol

if I were old enough to vote I would have voted for Nader in 2000

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
could I vote for a meteor impact? is that an option? lmao 😂

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
I would draw an anarchy A on the ballot.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
me? why i would have voted for donald john trump, op

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

me? why i would have voted for donald john trump, op

Would you be okay with Oprah as the veep?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Trump_2000_presidential_campaign

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
I know it feels like nothing ever changes but just think about how far away we've moved from a world in which a trump/oprah ticket is culturally conceivable

but to answer you question, lmao yes

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

I know it feels like nothing ever changes but just think about how far away we've moved from a world in which a trump/oprah ticket is culturally conceivable

It wasn't really conceivable outside of Trump's own mind and rhetoric. But Trump himself has shifted politically and maybe personally:

quote:

Trump focused his campaign on the issues of fair trade, eliminating the national debt, and achieving universal healthcare as outlined in the campaign companion piece The America We Deserve, released in January 2000. He named media proprietor Oprah Winfrey as his ideal running mate and said he would instantly marry his girlfriend, Melania Knauss, to make her First Lady.

quote:

In the book, Trump expresses anti-illegal-immigration views similar to those that he espoused when he ran for president successfully in 2016. For example, he wrote, "A liberal policy of immigration may seem to reflect confidence and generosity. But our current laxness toward illegal immigration shows a recklessness and disregard for those who live here legally."[3]

However, Trump also endorsed some proposals he would abandon by 2016. For example, Trump proposed a 14.25% tax on individuals and trusts valued at more than $10 million.[4] Trump also wrote in the book supporting a universal health care system. [5]

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
I’d vote for bush because I live in a sweaty klan state that no post civil rights dem should be pinning his hopes on, hth

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.
Vermin Supreme

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Bodyholes posted:

Gore being president in 2000 would mean dems on the Supreme Court, which would mean Veith v Jubilerer 2004 has the opposite outcome and partisan gerrymandering is unconstitutional.

Allowing states to strike down partisan destrict maps in 2004 would vastly improve the situation we'd be in now. 9/11, The War in Iraq, the 2008 crash are all peanuts compared to having state governments that aren't right wing totalitarian dictatorships for the next 50 years.

So my opinion is that voting 3rd party was fully justified any other time. 2004, 2008, 2012, 2016, 2020... However, 2000 was the last time elections mattered and Nader voters ironically signed the death warrant for the project of democracy in America, and the whole world will pay for it.

So you're saying a vote for Nader in 2000 was the right choice.

Write-in vote for Eric Cartman because it's the year 2000

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

Bush and Nader dominated among sixth graders in my town in 2000, but W lost those same students to Kerry in 2004.

Either the Iraq War soured on local kids faster than most, or we were just oddly resonant with the Houseplant with Hair.