Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So there's no plans at all for a PC demo?

That bodes poorly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Acerbatus posted:

So there's no plans at all for a PC demo?

That bodes poorly.

The game comes out in like 4 days now. Just be patient and then play the whole thing.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
You can start the preload now on Steam, if you're getting it there.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
So, I´ve had my eye on this game for a little while since the GodEater games and Code Vein are guilty pleasures of mine. One thing I haven´t noticed from the few snippets of info I´ve seen is what you do between the missions? Is there a base that you move around and talk with the other NPC´s? How do the crafting/upgrade system look like?

ColdIronsBound
Nov 4, 2008

Sylphosaurus posted:

So, I´ve had my eye on this game for a little while since the GodEater games and Code Vein are guilty pleasures of mine. One thing I haven´t noticed from the few snippets of info I´ve seen is what you do between the missions? Is there a base that you move around and talk with the other NPC´s? How do the crafting/upgrade system look like?

There is a Homebase to run around in / chat with allies. No idea on crafting/upgrades.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Review embargo dropped, and people with early copies are doing streams and playthroughs, etc.

ColdIronsBound
Nov 4, 2008
Kia ora to everyone moving to New Zealand in the next few hours

Groshlak
Jan 9, 2021
I want this game to be good. People, confirm my bias so I can make a purchase free from the doubts of not waiting 6-12 months before pulling the trigger!

Groshlak
Jan 9, 2021
Well, I've listened to the review from Fextralife. I was still on board when he was underlining the weaknesses of customization, the low amount of animations. What worries me more was the point he made about the pacing of the game. Seems like your bursts of action are frequently interrupted for story exposition and said story isn't that well delivered. I look forward the opinion of our people but my enthusiasm has been cooled.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Groshlak posted:

Well, I've listened to the review from Fextralife. I was still on board when he was underlining the weaknesses of customization, the low amount of animations. What worries me more was the point he made about the pacing of the game. Seems like your bursts of action are frequently interrupted for story exposition and said story isn't that well delivered. I look forward the opinion of our people but my enthusiasm has been cooled.

I’m still pretty early but it is like extremely anime. I think the bigger issue is the way it’s delivered - through visual novel-style animatics.

That said, I’m still having fun with it. The combat is fun and it has a real style. The big ideas of the story are neat, even if the execution is flawed and it leans on a lot of tropes.

8/10 seems like a pretty fair assessment of the game, and they’re definitely launching at the right time. Kind of the definition of an experiment that Bandai-Namco didn’t want to pump too much budget into, that will really hit a stride in Scarlet Nexus 2

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Groshlak posted:

I mean, keep in mind this is still the God Eater/Code Vein team. God Eater's writing is embarrassingly bad and Code Vein's is tolerable because it's pretty much non-existent, so I really doubt that suddenly they've significantly improved their storytelling capabilities. Both of those game's actual core gameplay segments are also best described as "fine," which is basically what I'm seeing here

Groshlak
Jan 9, 2021
This is a good point, I did enjoy God Eater 3. I may succumb to the temptation after all.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
I get the feeling I'll just be mashing Start through all the cutscenes so I don't get bored

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

ColdIronsBound posted:

Kia ora to everyone moving to New Zealand in the next few hours

I believe it's a global release time so you don't need to do this.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Got my copy a day early but I'm too burned out from having a new job to do anything

Dick Wolf
Apr 5, 2009
Can confirm VPN trickery is useless. Weird release time 5 pm but at least it's on Thursday and not Friday.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

VPN absolutely works on Xbox, at least. Set your region to Japan and you can play right now.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I won't be able to play until Tuesday since they don't seem to be shipping it early. Glad to hear it's reviewing fairly well, it's been a while since I've played a game like this.

Orc Priest
Jun 9, 2021
Well I'm preloading the game on steam now let's hope it isn't a bad port.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Port seems fine so far.

Started as Kasane and man (very minor) Naomi is raising so many death flags

Edit: \/ they're stylized just enough that they don't bother me. A lot of games would use talking heads for most of the scenes that use the comic panels always

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jun 25, 2021

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

These cutscenes are really blowing me. I don't like it. They put all this effort into the rest of the game but Bandai wouldn't pony up for cutscenes? What a blueball. DBZ Kakarot did the same thing.

Rye Bread
Nov 8, 2005
:razz:
The only annoying thing I’ve come across on the PC version is that using a PS4 remote still has the the Xbox buttons for everything.

Orc Priest
Jun 9, 2021
Thankfully the game runs great on PC. Good port. I use an xbox pad so I don't mind the buttons :cheers:

RBX posted:

These cutscenes are really blowing me. I don't like it. They put all this effort into the rest of the game but Bandai wouldn't pony up for cutscenes? What a blueball. DBZ Kakarot did the same thing.

Yeah! I was surprised at how low budget and phoned in the cutscenes are.

That being said, I'm having a lot of fun with the game. The gameplay is super solid and I enjoy the art style as well.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Seems to have the same problem rear end-Tral Chain has where the combat is pretty fun but there’s a bunch of tedious walking/talking around it that just makes the game work.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
I enjoyed Code Vein far more than I thought I would (enough to get the DLC and do all the challenges like NG+ 0 hit, 0 items, pipe only boss kills). I thought the story was pretty basic anime stuff, but good. I liked the characters too.

This game looks like a parred down Code Vein, which is disappointing. Kind of surprised at no character customization since that was a big selling point (especially for certain fanbases).

Rye Bread
Nov 8, 2005
:razz:

Orc Priest posted:

Thankfully the game runs great on PC. Good port. I use an xbox pad so I don't mind the buttons :cheers:

Yeah, I had to find where my wife left our Xbox controller when she last used it on the Apple TV. Swapped over, and now it’s way less confusing. :imunfunny:

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

I'm really loving the OST for this game. I've been anticipating SN for a few months but the music was a really pleasant surprise.

Especially the first(?) city's BGM.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKBUmxQXOok&t=811s

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

I didn't see this mentioned, or maybe I missed it, so FYI: In the game, you'll eventually run into a character named Mimi that asks for a password. The password(s) they want aren't in the game, there's one hidden in each episode of the Anime. No one knows what the point is yet, as there doesn't seem to be one in the preview episode on YouTube, and the anime doesn't air until July 1st.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

crepeface posted:

This game looks like a parred down Code Vein, which is disappointing. Kind of surprised at no character customization since that was a big selling point (especially for certain fanbases).

It's not much like Code Vein really. CV was a Souls like and this is more an action brawler like Astral Chain, just with party members.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Mokinokaro posted:

It's not much like Code Vein really. CV was a Souls like and this is more an action brawler like Astral Chain, just with party members.

Yeah it's got very little shared DNA with Code Vein gameplay wise. Art style wise yes because that's how this team do.

Overall I'm enjoying it so far playing as Kasane and her personality of Has Sister, but as usual in games like this where monsters are the focus, fighting other humans sucks rear end. I hated the end of the training mission against Yuito.

ColdIronsBound
Nov 4, 2008
3 hours in and combat and music are fantastic.

Story has been OK-Good, the subway boss thing at 3 hours has elevated it to Crazy AF territory and I’m now well into it.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I played for like, an hour or so. Does the combat ever evolve past X - Y - RT - Repeat?

ColdIronsBound
Nov 4, 2008

Jack Trades posted:

I played for like, an hour or so. Does the combat ever evolve past X - Y - RT - Repeat?

Yeah, you start to aim for weakpoints, enemies start needing different tactics, you use/develop allies powers, you use finishing moves on crushed/downed enemies to guarantee an item drop etc

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

With the (non buddy) sidequests, like the defeat X enemys with a brain crush. Can I just leave those between chapters and complete them whenever or do they dissapear?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

ColdIronsBound posted:

Yeah, you start to aim for weakpoints, enemies start needing different tactics, you use/develop allies powers, you use finishing moves on crushed/downed enemies to guarantee an item drop etc

Giving the game a few more hours then.

What's wrong with the dodge button though? It doesn't seem like you can cancel any attacks with the dodge, which is unfortunate but I guess I can adjust, but it also seems like it has no iframes at all unless it's a perfect dodge, is that correct?
If those two things are correct then it kind of blows, a lot.

EDIT: After some testing, yeah, that's absolutely true. There's no animation cancelling and the dodges don't do poo poo unless you time them perfectly which is the most moronic design I've seen in a while.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jun 25, 2021

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Jack Trades posted:

Giving the game a few more hours then.

What's wrong with the dodge button though? It doesn't seem like you can cancel any attacks with the dodge, which is unfortunate but I guess I can adjust, but it also seems like it has no iframes at all unless it's a perfect dodge, is that correct?
If those two things are correct then it kind of blows, a lot.

EDIT: After some testing, yeah, that's absolutely true. There's no animation cancelling and the dodges don't do poo poo unless you time them perfectly which is the most moronic design I've seen in a while.

Perf dodges are invincible, for more interesting combat pretend the whatever they're called synergy buff activations (R1+face buttons?) are Dante styles, one of those styles in the demo gave a bigger perfect dodge window and stronger dodge counterattack, and it wasn't in the demo but apparently you can also use partner meter to call them in for an attack during your combos. (Just going off demo stuff still waiting for the full game to show up.)

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

teh_Broseph posted:

Perf dodges are invincible, for more interesting combat pretend the whatever they're called synergy buff activations (R1+face buttons?) are Dante styles, one of those styles in the demo gave a bigger perfect dodge window and stronger dodge counterattack, and it wasn't in the demo but apparently you can also use partner meter to call them in for an attack during your combos. (Just going off demo stuff still waiting for the full game to show up.)

I'm sure those things are true but I spent a while fighting the first boss to explore the basic mechanics and against that boss you literally cannot use any of your attacks except for X - X and RT until it's stunned, because everything else has too much recovery and you won't be able to dodge the swipe if you use any other attack.

That's some real garbage gameplay design.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

The first boss? Isn't that the one that's just there to teach you how ridiculously important using LT objects is? As in, using all the LT objects in the arena will destroy 95% of its health bar?

Jokes aside, I'm a chunk into the game (About to start Chapter 4) and it's generally an alright game I suppose. The sidequests are terrible and the way the plot is presented is both janky and confusing due to the dual protagonists stuff. I don't know if Kasane gets more plot but it sure feels like Yuito is extremely in the dark about most things that are happening. In terms of gameplay it really does seem to boil down to, at this stage, using the correct partner against the correct enemy and focusing more on your psychokinesis than on your melee combat. It's really just there to recharge your PK and for when the enemy is stunned, although now that I have a bunch of upgrades from the top part of the screen I can actually accomplish a reasonably decent combo on the more normal sized enemies. It's still fun, and I think once the game deigns to give me more of the call-in attacks it'll get even better, but good lord does this game take its sweet loving time adding in enough mechanics for the combat to feel complete. There's still an entire branch of the skill tree I haven't unlocked yet!

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Kasane summary: I MUST FIND OUT IF YUITO IS FIT TO HUSBAND MY SISTER

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Tae posted:

Kasane summary: I MUST FIND OUT IF YUITO IS FIT TO HUSBAND MY SISTER

I got a kick out of the first group text with them having her try to act big and tough and everyone ignores her to talk about Baki instead.