Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

Thankfully they're really good about archiving to YouTube after their events, which was how I learned about T pose to victory in 3g.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

I was curious about Witcher 3's current player base given CDPR just announced REDkit for that game. It's 78th on Steam Charts.

Guess which game is still at 11th though, after all this time: World. That's just cool.

https://steamcharts.com/top

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

It’s a heckin good game

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Yeah, looks like a big jump in December and January, which was around the Wilds trailer so that makes sense, but it's stayed over 100K since which is cool. Lots of streamers and VTubers picked it up again so that probably helped, too.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Mon hun communities never die. 3u and 4u were still getting players right up until the shutdown

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
Had this come up on my youtube feed. Super specific bug abuse in the JP version of Tri G that allows you to Tpose everything to death.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrP26llazTI

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Dr. Cool Aids posted:

Mon hun communities never die. 3u and 4u were still getting players right up until the shutdown

Even generations (the base game, not gen ult) had people still playing online fairly regularly--I didn't have any troubles finding rooms when I was doing my dual blades online playthrough.

End of an era :smith:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Rise was on sale so I got it and Sunbreak even though I already had the base game on Switch

Love da charge blade

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.
I just went back to Gen U for the first time in a while, and I gotta say

Anyone who says that Lance is a good weapon early game is loving lying!

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I can't go back to old lance. Being able to advance sideways and backwards in World and up is so game-changing I cannot adjust to the limitations.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer

Alxprit posted:

I can't go back to old lance. Being able to advance sideways and backwards in World and up is so game-changing I cannot adjust to the limitations.

As someone who's only played the recent games sometimes I hear things about the old MH that sound like a joke, like "charging the hammer too long would make your character trip and hit themselves in the head with the hammer and then they'd actually die and the game would delete your save"

And the old heads are just like "hahaha yep those were the days!" and as much as I love MH i don't understand how the franchise survived those older games

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Obsessive fans carried this series. Nobody else makes a hunt big monster game like it

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012
I've seen older monhuns described as turn based and there's truth to it, monster does something, you do something in return etc. I'm replaying mh4u because my broken brain finds a certain satisfaction in the grind and less reactive combat. I'm possibly thinking of the wrong term but I'm tired because I fought Rathalos 4 or 5 times now and I still don't have enough materials for a full set of armor.

Ledenko fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Apr 19, 2024

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

I'm playing 3u right now, but have played almost all of them except mh1/mh 1 g, and that's basically it. Each game kind of adds more options to break turn order, but the farther back you go, the more heavily you feel it.

Also I'm playing 3u with great sword and reached nirvana

I have Gobul on the ropes, he has fled to go sleep. I jump into the water, swim down to him, do my tackle slap wind up for extra damaging charge. Right as I hit the sweet spot for unleashing it, the two ludroth in the area swarm and get killed by the same attack that wakes Gobul up. Immediately start a regular charge attack as Gobul recovers. Gobul uprights directly in front of me right as it's time to unleash this level 3 charge and dies.

The most perfect six seconds of my life, felt incredible.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
GS kinda preserves that feel but if you watch non-surge slash speedruns the "turns" are literally positioning so an animation misses and puts a head/tail right in front of the GS (thinking of a Glav speedrun I saw doing this in World).

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

felgs posted:

I'm playing 3u right now, but have played almost all of them except mh1/mh 1 g, and that's basically it. Each game kind of adds more options to break turn order, but the farther back you go, the more heavily you feel it.

Also I'm playing 3u with great sword and reached nirvana

I have Gobul on the ropes, he has fled to go sleep. I jump into the water, swim down to him, do my tackle slap wind up for extra damaging charge. Right as I hit the sweet spot for unleashing it, the two ludroth in the area swarm and get killed by the same attack that wakes Gobul up. Immediately start a regular charge attack as Gobul recovers. Gobul uprights directly in front of me right as it's time to unleash this level 3 charge and dies.

The most perfect six seconds of my life, felt incredible.

Hell yes, when I played thru 3U last year I just used GS+Lance. The design of GS in that gen feels like the perfect balance of simplicity and craft, I love it. I haven't played 4 but by Gen they start getting funky with the style and nowadays of course the kids can swing a GS like a SNS smh. It's still fun but kind of a different weapon

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
I can see why they changed GS up in World. Because the draw charge and sheathe playstyle, while fun and absolutely effective, was pretty simple compared to other weapons.

Of course then they just turned HBG into a spammy shotgun with a super strong shield soooo yeah

And surge slash GS owns

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

RTA in Japan finished uploading the VODs for the relay of monhun RTAs for the 20th anniversary! Playlist here, auto translating the captions will get you 90% of the way.

I'm a sicko who thinks runs from game to start to end of village are the best actually.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Dyz posted:

GS kinda preserves that feel but if you watch non-surge slash speedruns the "turns" are literally positioning so an animation misses and puts a head/tail right in front of the GS (thinking of a Glav speedrun I saw doing this in World).

:yeah:

https://twitter.com/ArisMH10/status/1777271433816645847

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Underwater combat should die in a pit and never return.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

felgs posted:

Underwater combat should die in a pit and never return.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Space combat.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

now we're talkin

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

that calvin and hobbes with the dinosaur in the fighter jet but it's glavenus in a tie fighter

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

low-orbital bombing runs by bazelgeuse

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

tigrex of damocles

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
Calling in a bazel

*Player 2 has carted*

ReverseStratum
Jan 20, 2019

Sideshow.
underwater combat sucks but lagiacrus's underwater attacks looked cool so they should bring it back

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

ReverseStratum posted:

underwater combat sucks but lagiacrus's underwater attacks looked cool so they should bring it back

Compromise: They give lagiacrus the ability to float.

Cambria Bold
Jan 1, 2024

Electric Phantasm posted:

Compromise: They give lagiacrus the ability to float.

Magnetic Lagiacrus. It floats using electromagnetism. Don't even need to change the element!

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:
gently caress under water combat

time to bring new weapon types in now capcom honestly

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
They bring back the slinger and clutch claw, but they only work underwater.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ReverseStratum posted:

lagiacrus is the worst underwater fight BY FAR

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Your Computer posted:

lagiacrus is the worst underwater fight BY FAR

Why say this when Caedeus exists.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Neo_Crimson posted:

Yup.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Hogama posted:

They bring back the slinger and clutch claw, but they only work underwater.

You say this as a joke but I feel like the clutch claw specifically would make underwater combat way better.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
i was a mega switch axe fan but im really coming around to the Hammer having finally bought iceborne

was is the long and short modifiers on the GL? i can never remember.

and HH is like hammer but i can play tunes right?

also i want my OG handler back!

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

Neo_Crimson posted:

Caedeus is fine when you are a Lance torpedo

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

EDF

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

v1ld posted:

Guess which game is still at 11th though, after all this time: World. That's just cool.

https://steamcharts.com/top

I need to get back into World now that I have a PC that can run it very well, since it's a very pretty game (and I never finished the main scenario for the expansion).

Part of why I enjoyed Dragon's Dogma was the big monsters, and Monster Hunter basically does the same type of fights, but better.