Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Subterranean combat. No more of monsters burrowing underground and doing as they please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

ReverseStratum posted:

underwater combat sucks but lagiacrus's underwater attacks looked cool so they should bring it back

Lagiacrus is why I made this post, I'd been really enjoying underwater before that against gobul and royal ludroth.

It sucks rear end to have one monster totally change that opinion. Being able to hup into the water never ever gets old for making the world just feel cool

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Neo_Crimson posted:

Why say this when Caedeus exists.

caedeus is awful in a different way and is a slog but it's not offensively bad the way lagiacrus is

also why say this when abyssal lagiacrus exists.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I liked lagiacrus in 3U and thought it was the best water fight. I never knew it was hated

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Yeah I loved that fight too.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
well iguess ill never beat barioth so iceborne is done

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Abyssal Lagiacrus is immaculate vibes. I never beat it though because that's not a fight you solo

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

verbal enema posted:

Maybe it's because I'm a longsworder but I never found Barioth to be that bad?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Barioth tends to be a wall for a lot of people because he's a lot more mobile than most of the monsters up to that point, and he's also kind of the first gear check in Iceborne where if you don't have MR gear already you are really going to suffer for it. He's not that bad once you get used to him, but the first time you fight him it just feels like you're just constantly chasing him as he leaps around and it takes forever.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

verbal enema posted:

It's a war of attrition in part, so try to outlast it instead of dps racing it. If you're using a weapon with a shield, guard a lot. As it gets tired, it'll eventually start giving you big openings. Its front legs/wings are its weakness - if you break them it'll eventually start stumbling and falling over when it jumps.

Out heal it to outlast it, go back to get more healing from camp - take a farcaster if you have to. Use your traps to get openings on its front limbs, replenish them at camp. 2-4 traps will break its limbs.

Grind up the best MR gear you can. Defense will help you outlast/outheal it. Focus on not dying, get some damage in to its front limbs when you can and you'll get there.

But yeah, it's a tough flight alright.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

verbal enema posted:

Farm up a full set of Beotodus armor. Bring a fire weapon, nulberries, and the best cloaks you've got.

In the fight, go for its arms/ wings first. Its moveset is pretty limited overall so you'll get a feel for when you can get hits in. Trap it and bomb the wings to break them faster. It's one of those fights that feels really hard at first, but you'll fly through it once you get more familiar with it.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

I just got two Lunastra gems from No Remorse No Surrender, I'll take that as payment for the multiple attempts and hours spent farming for a Daora lance to clear Pandora's Arena. Seriously, the arena quest where you have to chase Lunastra off is harder than fighting both of them in Elder's Recess.

I played World mostly at release on PS4 and dropped it after Deviljho arrived. I wanted to do all of the World stuff on PC before starting Iceborne, although I've drawn the line at finding those loving crakes, and those two were basically my last obstacle. Also I'm only HR40 and don't have great decos or gear so I'm considering this an accomplishment and I'm high on that loving monhun feeling right now.

Rubellavator fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Apr 21, 2024

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

Rubellavator posted:

I just got two Lunastra gems from No Remorse No Surrender, I'll take that as payment for the multiple attempts and hours spent farming for a Daora lance to clear Pandora's Arena. Seriously, the arena quest where you have to chase Lunastra off is harder than fighting both of them in Elder's Recess.

I played World mostly at release on PS4 and dropped it after Deviljho arrived. I wanted to do all of the World stuff on PC before starting Iceborne, although I've drawn the line at finding those loving crakes, and those two were basically my last obstacle. Also I'm only HR40 and don't have great decos or gear so I'm considering this an accomplishment and I'm high on that loving monhun feeling right now.

You replace all your hr gear when you go to iceborne so don't worry about that. Hunt what you wanna hunt in the new world then go to the I iceborne for phat stacks of gear

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Rubellavator posted:

Master has an easy event quest called Skyward Snipers where they are a high chance spawn. I personally did it with the egg quest in Wildspire Waste through patience. Go to the cave with the Apceros/herbivore nest in the South, stand near the wall to the North of the cave, turn your back on the cave (so you don't see the Apceros), don the Ghillie mantle, wait a while (at last 20 minutes for me) until you hear the chirping. Don't worry about messing up the first net capture, because they'll run into the walls of the cave while fleeing and make for easy targets.

But yeah, typing this out I now realize why I didn't bother with other endemic life unless I just happened to stumble upon it.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Apr 21, 2024

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Barioth: I have MR Bone Armor that has the two skills per piece so Alpha I think and after reflecting on my strategy I won't be standing in front of it trying to hit it's itty bitty wiggly head. I was using S&S for mobility and the guard but the range is too short for head smacks (for me)

I can stay away from the ice blasts pretty well and on my last try did notice it tires itself out pretty quick so I think I'll also slap some Fatigue jewels on what I can to accelerate that.

It tilted the hell out of me my first go when it chumped me in three attacks and I just spiralled from there trying to brute force it.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

verbal enema posted:

Barioth: I have MR Bone Armor that has the two skills per piece so Alpha I think and after reflecting on my strategy I won't be standing in front of it trying to hit it's itty bitty wiggly head. I was using S&S for mobility and the guard but the range is too short for head smacks (for me)

My first time with Iceborne Barioth was with SnS too, but I had fought it a bunch in GU's g-rank and knew what to expect and to go for the forelimbs.

SnS is good for that fight, you're so mobile you can get to its limbs easier. You can deploy traps without sheathing, etc. Just don't rush it; it'll get weaker over time, you don't. Especially in World where you can just go back to camp to replenish if you need.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

god drat wallbangs are so busted, I wish I could pull them off as reliably as the rabdom MH gods that answer my join requests can

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/QuirklessStoner/status/1781462597532880917

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
https://twitter.com/Yuigaoka2002/status/1781800521470517734?s=19

No one told me MHN was THAT kind of game

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Prawned posted:

You replace all your hr gear when you go to iceborne so don't worry about that. Hunt what you wanna hunt in the new world then go to the I iceborne for phat stacks of gear

Yeah I only wanted gear to clear everything* in World before moving to Iceborne.

Mierenneuker posted:

Master has an easy event quest called Skyward Snipers where they are a high chance spawn. I personally did it with the egg quest in Wildspire Waste through patience. Go to the cave with the Apceros/herbivore nest in the South, stand near the wall to the North of the cave, turn your back on the cave (so you don't see the Apceros), don the Ghillie mantle, wait a while (at last 20 minutes for me) until you hear the chirping. Don't worry about messing up the first net capture, because they'll run into the walls of the cave while fleeing and make for easy targets.

But yeah, typing this out I now realize why I didn't bother with other endemic life unless I just happened to stumble upon it.

I tried just about every method of catching them on PS4 because it was one of the last things to do before Deviljho at the time. I did try the egg method once back then and ended up sitting through the whole 50 minute quest timer. I did eventually catch them but I don't remember what I did.

JackGeneric
Apr 23, 2008

[Witty observation]

verbal enema posted:

If you're going for the head first, that could explain some of the difficulty. With Barioth, I've had the best results prioritizing a part break on at least one of its forelegs. A foreleg break gets you a free knockdown and forces it to do a recovery animation after several of its moves. That slows the pace of the fight to a more reasonable level.

JackGeneric fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Apr 21, 2024

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

drop a pitfall trap, let barioth fall in the trap, pull bombs next to one of his arms, blow it up. it won't break but it'll be pretty close

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Lib and let die posted:

god drat wallbangs are so busted, I wish I could pull them off as reliably as the rabdom MH gods that answer my join requests can

The trick to getting better at wallbangs is to lose all sense of self-preservation and just go for it no matter how ill-advised it seems. All you need is enough time to do the clutch claw spin around attack since it will interrupt whatever they are doing and their recovery time is long enough to get off a flinch shot without them being able to knock you off. Or just wear a temporal mantle, then you can just whatever and they can't do poo poo to stop you.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

For like 99% of the monsters in the game wallbangs can be the very first thing you do with zero worry.

Also be sure to run agitator since monsters get immediately angry after having their face slammed into a wall.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:
I like Clutch Claw because it lets you control the flow of the hunt easier. It seems really unpopular wherever else I look though :psyduck:

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Veg posted:

I like Clutch Claw because it lets you control the flow of the hunt easier. It seems really unpopular wherever else I look though :psyduck:

There were a lot of problems with how it was implemented, all of which would be fixable in another attempt. The main issue was hitzones were made worse because of the wounding mechanic which was tied to clutch claws, and wounding was a tedious upkeep mechanic that didn't really add anything of interest in addition to just being worse for half the weapons until very late in the game's life. On the other end of it, clutch claws led to wall bangs and an extra pseudo-stun which let you keep a monster downed for much of the fight, and effectively permanent enrages so agitator was really overvalued throwing off skill balance. Even setting aside all that, the clutch claw attacks were really varying in usefulness themselves. Lance's clutch counter was great, hbg got another interesting option, and swaxe had a decent discharge, but I don't recall any of the other ones really being worth using beyond wounding. Like the gunlance one I think was clutching on and firing a single shell or something similarly pointless.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Apr 21, 2024

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

chumbler posted:

wounding was a tedious upkeep mechanic that didn't really add anything of interest in addition to just being worse for half the weapons until very late in the game's life.

I dont really understand how it was worse for half the weapons?

Hammers was loving ace, it let you quickly close the gap after landing a full charge hit

Wounding was really optional to be honest, anyone who was OCD about keeping it wounded a whole hunt is wild

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Veg posted:

Hammers was loving ace, it let you quickly close the gap after landing a full charge hit

Wounding was really optional to be honest, anyone who was OCD about keeping it wounded a whole hunt is wild

The lighter weapons had to do a wound attack on a spot twice before it would actually get wounded and you'd get the WEX bonus.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Veg posted:

Half the weapons needed two attacks to wound, which they changed with a jewel introduced in a later patch.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Veg posted:

i mean, whether or not someone felt the need to compulsively wound a monster is on their end, it's more just that the devs very definitely balanced everything around the fact that, at any relative given point, a part or more of a monster is going to be taking increased damage for a time. it's kind of a weird side-effect of the mechanic that i think they could probably remove and keep most the rest of the claw functions with no problem on the end of players. there's a lot of moving parts that go into the consideration for balance in a game and how much give and push there is between the player and the challenge inherent to it. sometimes the devs make weird decisions that don't explicitly make that balance better. it just happens.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

TaurusOxford posted:

The lighter weapons had to do a wound attack on a spot twice before it would actually get wounded and you'd get the WEX bonus.

oof i had no idea

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
bombed the wings broke both of them loving idiot still would barely crash and if it did it was all the way across the arena

50 loving minutes wasted i hate this oval office

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

Veg posted:

If you didn't want most of the later hunts to last 15+ minutes -before the busted gear sets anyway - it absolutely was not.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

verbal enema posted:

bombed the wings broke both of them loving idiot still would barely crash and if it did it was all the way across the arena

What weapon are you using? Do you have Demondrugs or Might Seeds? Are you eating for Attack before the hunt?

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

verbal enema posted:

I like that I can't tell which monster this is because it could be a couple!

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Paying2Lurk posted:

What weapon are you using? Do you have Demondrugs or Might Seeds? Are you eating for Attack before the hunt?

Hammer and yes to both of those.

Doesn't help even with Defense 7 I'm still getting turn apart if I get caught wrong

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

ZeusCannon posted:

I like that I can't tell which monster this is because it could be a couple!

Barioth

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Small suggestion that helps me A LOT for late game monsters without a weapon that can block

Rather than get defense or divine blessing skills, get evade extender 3. I find it way easier to fight hard monsters with good rolls, I used it for the entirety of iceborne and sunbreak for multiple weapon types

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
Clutch Claw became a whoooole lot better when they extended the wound duration for 90 seconds to 3 minutes in a later patch. Before that you were constantly having to reup the wounds on parts. Now you can naturally just go for wounds when you get a clagger. That and the shaver deco made combat with the claw just flow a lot better

Still, I'd rather just not have to bother with it and beat on the monster instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Barioth down! I made a new super fire hammer and went all in on attack and the palico shieldspire not the dogshit drum that really changed it up