Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

torn grimoire posted:

i just want griffin to run another campaign. or even clint or justin (though i've heard that justin doesn't want to DM?)

I want to see Clint do another one. Commitment was my favorite of the short ones. The PCs and gameplay were fine but the plot was the best kind of ridiculous and awesome. It was like a Golden Age comic book and a Dan Brown novel had a baby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Wasabi the J posted:

Dimension 20?!

Dimension 20s Griffin McElroy, yes

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

torn grimoire posted:

(though i've heard that justin doesn't want to DM?)

His characters have been best parts (and in some cases the only good part) of every single campaign. It would be like if Griffin decided that he wanted to let Travis be the funny one on MBMBAM so he (Griffin) could take a two year foray into picking listener questions and being actively unfunny on the show.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Wasabi the J posted:

Dimension 20?!

Dimension 20 season 1 is the best bit of dnd on the web

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:

DesertIslandHermit posted:

I feel like Travis wanted to build something big but didn't know how to do it. He introduced so many characters and things early into Graduation which felt backwards compared to what Griffin did for Balance which was just introducing a new plot-significant character every couple of episodes with the exception of the start of a new story arc when he'd briefly introduce a small cast. Travis can pace and map out a short adventure just fine but creating a long-term campaign compared to creating a 4-part campaign is oil and water. The worst Travis could do now is rush the story to try to finish it because he'd probably end up introducing even more characters and things too quickly. If that isn't already happening now.
Agreed on pretty much all counts here. Personally I don't think he's rushing it too badly currently though--as one of the few people on this forum who actually keeps up with TAZ:G instead of regurgitating poo poo I've read about it on other websites, apparently?--and he's definitely not adding tons of (unmemorable) NPCs at this point, thank god he got the memo on that. I'm looking forward to finding out what happens with the main plot, and still enjoying listening to the show plenty.

blossommirage posted:

DMing is scary as hell, I can't say I blame him.
yeah lol as a fellow GAD-haver, despite having tons of experience with TTRPGs and very much enjoying putting a lot of work into my PCs, I have never DMed because my anxietybrain can't handle keeping track of that many things at once and worrying about loving up and producing something "good" and making sure everyone is having a good time, etc., let alone keeping up with audience expectations. Making a great PC isn't the same skillset as making great NPCs or DMing well (tbh the most boring PCs in TAZ have tended to be Griffin's--I def enjoy some of them but like Remy wasn't interesting at all to me). That said he's done a good job DMing silly one-shot things and it'd be cool if he was up to giving it a shot.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Pladdicus posted:

Dimension 20 season 1 is the best bit of dnd on the web

Untrue, dimension 20 unsleeping city

Farg fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Mar 24, 2021

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Farg posted:

Untrue, dimension 20 in sleeping city

ive only watched season 1, i accept this as true, and am glad to hear

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

Highly recommend Tiny Heist, the first ep's a little slow and Brennan's little kid voice is annoying, but it picks up fast and Justin's character is one of my favorites ever.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
On the topic of good mbmbam bits, I really liked Minion Quotes.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

I think all of D20 is worth a watch, save the unlistenable Pirates of Leviathan.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Stroop There It Is posted:

Highly recommend Tiny Heist, the first ep's a little slow and Brennan's little kid voice is annoying, but it picks up fast and Justin's character is one of my favorites ever.

Justin's Man About Town Rick Diggins alone elevates Tiny Heist to the best Dimension 20 thing

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Crown of Candy ends on a fun note, but the first half of it rises to the occasion of being a Candy land Game of Thrones shockingly well. Legit stressful medieval drama, but with food people. It's the best.

Rick Diggins is the best character in that show tho. HOW SPICY DO YOU WANT IT?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGxl4F79McE

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

So that's just a beardless Travis clone right?

Grunch Worldflower
Nov 16, 2020

I feel like Travis wanted to build something big but didn't know how to do it...

Yeah, I get really strong vibes from my first time trying to DM and building something way to big and complicated and utterly beyond what I had the time or skill to pull off.

I just, you know, wasn't putting on a show for an audience that helps pay my bills so I was able to be like "hey guys I'm in way over my head here, I'm gonna pull out a chunk of the middle here so we can finish this game before we graduate."

Also bringing in another recommendation for Dimension 20. It's a solid cast overall.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Agreed on pretty much all counts here. Personally I don't think he's rushing it too badly currently though--as one of the few people on this forum who actually keeps up with TAZ:G instead of regurgitating poo poo I've read about it on other websites, apparently?--and he's definitely not adding tons of (unmemorable) NPCs at this point, thank god he got the memo on that. I'm looking forward to finding out what happens with the main plot, and still enjoying listening to the show plenty.

Travis can definitely turn it around but he shouldn't buckle to the pressure that it's the least watched of TAZ. He should get feedback from proper channels and work it out from there. A couple of my friends warmed up to Amnesty a little while after it ended.

Balance will forever be their magnum opus. Trying to make something like Balance again would be a recipe for disaster. Even a sequel campaign staring Tres Horny Boys would disappoint in one way or another (although part of me wants to see them go back to where they originally came from when they started out in the IPRE at the start of The Stolen Century arc ). It's a lot of pressure when your first project in something is unanimously your greatest so far. Not everyone is like Friends at the Table.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

I think all of D20 is worth a watch, save the unlistenable Pirates of Leviathan.

I've been binging D20, getting through Unsleeping City 2 now, and I was worried I'd actually have to watch Pirates to keep the fix going. Very glad the next game is premiering soon.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

How many of these D20 campaigns you guys are recommending can be found (legally) without a dropout subscription? And where do I find them

e: vvv thank you!

Ainsley McTree fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Mar 24, 2021

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

The first seasons of Fantasy High and Unsleeping City and the first sidequest Escape from the Bloodkeep are on YouTube

Detective Eyestorm
Jan 6, 2012
I haven't dropped money for Dropout yet; what makes Pirates of Leviathan so bad? Is it "unlistenable" as in the audio quality is really bad, or is there a problem with the cast?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Just saw the among us clip, it was so bad I couldn't even finish it lmfao

It's bizarre the old thread didn't become everyone laughing at it.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Groovelord Neato posted:

It's bizarre the old thread didn't become everyone laughing at it.

It's totally right to laugh at Travis over that, it was embarrassing af, but when people start calling him "seriously mentally ill" over it that's when it becomes skeezy and weird.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

Just Chamber posted:

It's totally right to laugh at Travis over that, it was embarrassing af, but when people start calling him "seriously mentally ill" over it that's when it becomes skeezy and weird.

Travis can be obnoxious and cringe but he’s pretty much harmless. People get too used to assuming hipster liberals are really nasty or creepy but he’s just really annoying at times. He does need to read less social media, though.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

lol it took me a while to notice the spelling of the thread title... oopsies

Ainsley McTree posted:

How many of these D20 campaigns you guys are recommending can be found (legally) without a dropout subscription? And where do I find them

e: vvv thank you!
Also just so you know, once you get through those and if you enjoyed them, there is a free trial for Dropout (only 3 days though). If you end up wanting to go with it, it costs $5 a month. I feel like it's easily worth that but obv not the case for everyone.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Detective Eyestorm posted:

I haven't dropped money for Dropout yet; what makes Pirates of Leviathan so bad? Is it "unlistenable" as in the audio quality is really bad, or is there a problem with the cast?

It’s mostly the audio, it was the first full quarantine season and it just sounds abysmal, especially Brennan. There is one cast member who does a bunch of annoying player things that I personally can’t stand, but that could just be me.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
I'm glad they have Brennan back in the studio for the next season, because he often has the worst connection out of anyone on the quarantine episodes.

When I saw that the new one was going to be a murder mystery, I thought it would be a great return for the brothers because of their mystery novel obsession. But it still looks like a strong cast.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

It's the modren spelling

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Look deep within yourself tho, would you have it any other way.

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Its mostly the audio, it was the first full quarantine season and it just sounds abysmal, especially Brennan. There is one cast member who does a bunch of annoying player things that I personally can

Which one out of curiosity?

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Travis can be obnoxious and cringe but he’s pretty much harmless. People get too used to assuming hipster liberals are really nasty or creepy but he’s just really annoying at times. He does need to read less social media, though.

I finally watched that clip and...oof...that was mortifying to watch. I think that was him actually controlling his rage, somewhat. In his defense, that ChilledChaos guy everybody is handjobing instantly triggered my “edge lord brat that thrives on negative attention alarm”.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

oh word?

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

The World Inferno posted:

Look deep within yourself tho, would you have it any other way.

Which one out of curiosity?

B Dave Walters

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Jestery posted:

It's the modren spelling

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
At the end of the day Travis should have known that his streams were going to attract the occasional...non-fan? Calling them trolls, to me anyway, implies they knew/cared who Travis McElroy is. There was always going to come a day when someone decided to dink around in a way he didn't like, and the whole thing feels to me like he was blindsided by the fact that yes, he too could be trolled. Melting down about it just made things worse, as it tends to do.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Jestery posted:

It's the modren spelling

took me a second

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Just Chamber posted:

Yeah that's too far.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

Shinjobi posted:

At the end of the day Travis should have known that his streams were going to attract the occasional...non-fan? Calling them trolls, to me anyway, implies they knew/cared who Travis McElroy is. There was always going to come a day when someone decided to dink around in a way he didn't like, and the whole thing feels to me like he was blindsided by the fact that yes, he too could be trolled. Melting down about it just made things worse, as it tends to do.

:agreed:

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Munch Squad may be hit or miss, but it did bring the Chicken Sandwich Wars to my attention. I don't watch a lot of stuff with commercial breaks in it, but the one time I did in the past week there were like 4 separate chicken sandwich commercials from McDonald's, KFC, Arby's, and Popeyes within a single hour. It's real. The Chicken Sandwich Wars are real. It's not just a press release thing.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

sticklefifer posted:

Munch Squad may be hit or miss, but it did bring the Chicken Sandwich Wars to my attention. I don't watch a lot of stuff with commercial breaks in it, but the one time I did in the past week there were like 4 separate chicken sandwich commercials from McDonald's, KFC, Arby's, and Popeyes within a single hour. It's real. The Chicken Sandwich Wars are real. It's not just a press release thing.

no its still a press release thing because its all just a big gimmick

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
We've spent years of our lives, endlessly debating the potential devastation of a human/centaur war. Foolishly, we never stopped to consider the war that was right on out doorstep, with higher stakes than ever before. How much blood will be spilled in the chicken wars to come, I ask? When will the madness end?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Even 7-11 has a chicken sandwich now, I got a half off coupon for one last week

It tasted like poo poo