Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Since it feels like I defend Graduation more than anything else, I would like to float out there that both Amnesty and Graduation have suffered from trying to recreate the drastic stakes that you got midway to the end of Balance.

I say that to mean that my favorite parts of Amnesty was them loving around town and solving the monster of the week, and things escalating to the point that they did was not as interesting to me. Graduation could have very easily been a story about dumb underdogs that have to butt heads with other students/teachers in order to become successful heros/villains/whatever the hell they wanted. Instead we are once again raising the stakes to the highest point possible.

The stories aren't the only ones guilty of the drama creep; just about everything does it nowadays. But my favorite moments in TAZ are typically when things are chill and not in danger mode; having yet another "the world is changing!!!!" plot is tiring to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Travis is the kind of person the theatre kids would call a weirdo behind his back and have a separate discord from him

Travis is the kind of person to scream “do you know who I am” at a retail worker before explaining that he “is friends with Lin-Manuel Miranda, you know, from HAMILTON???

somehow you're a shittier theater kid in all this

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Frankly the Travis chat wasn't even as bad as the two page siderail into McElroy politics

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I would love Munch Squad infinitely more if he could just be a bit more selective about it. Keep the bit, whatever, but this week's was probably the wildest one since the Pizza Inn poo poo from like a month or two ago. The planet's dying, Pringles~

And yes, any bit that hurts Griffin and Justin is well worth keeping

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGxl4F79McE

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
At the end of the day Travis should have known that his streams were going to attract the occasional...non-fan? Calling them trolls, to me anyway, implies they knew/cared who Travis McElroy is. There was always going to come a day when someone decided to dink around in a way he didn't like, and the whole thing feels to me like he was blindsided by the fact that yes, he too could be trolled. Melting down about it just made things worse, as it tends to do.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
We've spent years of our lives, endlessly debating the potential devastation of a human/centaur war. Foolishly, we never stopped to consider the war that was right on out doorstep, with higher stakes than ever before. How much blood will be spilled in the chicken wars to come, I ask? When will the madness end?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Jestery posted:

Edit:did a better job of it

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
sigh

*unrolls scroll of polygon fanfics where Patrick is clearly listed as BDG's senpai*

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Justin does zone out a lot though; that ain't just a TAZ thing

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
It's easily one of the shittiest things to do and I wish Justin was dragged for it more often.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Yeah but we had to have a dimensional threat that everyone united against.

TAZ is in love with the final fantasy final boss as a concept.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

yeah actually they will posted:

i think it's more of a persona final boss concept. in that series they tend towards being wholly thematic representations too. This boss is "humanity's sloth". This boss is "turning away from truth". and so on. griffin's never been shy about being a fan of the series.

That's true, and the shoe fits a bit better

EDIT:

Bip Roberts posted:

First of all it was "mission imp hospital". secondly I really think it was travis trying to punish the listeners by pretending "this what TAZ would be like if we actually played DND" and it was by far the best episodes of graduation.

I actually took it more as Travis looking back on the previous episodes and realizing there hadn't been any combat. Like, he made a comment in the beginning of that little mini-arc saying he wanted to make sure they still knew how to fight. I took him at his word, cause frankly it wouldn't surprise me if that just kinda got away from him.

Shinjobi fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Mar 26, 2021

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Mad props to Griffin for winning the terrible joke war at the beginning of this week's episode of TAZ. He out Clint'd Clint, AND Travis.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Previa_fun posted:

If "soy" is a sixer and "retard" is 30 days where on the probation spectrum does "white trash" fall, mod?

gently caress off already, jesus

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
In these trying times, can there truly be a love zone

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Welcome to sawbones where we take umbrage with stupid medical pseudo science

Ah dang sorry we took umbrage with stupid medical pseudo science in the mall

Wasn't on brand I guess

We shall never escape the dumbest timeline

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
social media exists to beat everyone down

we do it to ourselves

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

eke out posted:

McElory + BGD Love Zone: One fan, who goes by AwuBuwu on twitter,

Mods please

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

taco show posted:

Uhh well I started listening to Dust since it’s between the Amnesty arcs and I really like the game system so far. I’ll come back to Balance after I wrap Amnesty.

It just all seems like a pretty harmless and funny podcast? I didn’t know what kind of insane fandom/BEC I walked into when I started a week ago. The subreddits are all insane. How the hell did it get this way?

Just avoid all subreddits and threads and fangroups.

Apparently we're just all terrible. I don't know what to do anymore. Please, continue enjoying the goofs. When they are good, they are good.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Please god close the thread again

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
When the thread is complaining/complimenting reddit I think the whole drat thing has gone off course but pardon the gently caress out of me, keep at it everyone

Behold, an act of rebellion by me:

https://twitter.com/JustinMcElroy/status/1377318237789155336?s=20

This is your moment; could this be the creation of a new bit? Let's talk about woodworking.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
That owns, Syd cannot be stopped

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Just start with "Balance" which is their first campaign. After the first few episodes it moves away from the original D&D module and into entirely custom content, and then shoots off like a rocket ship from there.

Murder on Rockport LTD (arc 2 of Balance I believe), Pedals to the Metal (arc 3) and the uh.. time loop one who's name I forget (which I believe is arc 5) are the stand out parts for me. Arc 4 and Arc 6 are pretty ok, Arc 7 is really hit or miss imo, I didn't really like it. The finale really stuck the landing for me though so it's all worth it!

Amnesty (campaign 2) is worth a listen if you're into the more monster of the week/buffy-ish kinda thing. But there's a few parts that just didn't work for me so I eventually fell off. And uh.. Graduation is.. well.. yeah

Did you actually listen to the episode?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Okie dokie

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

The 7th Guest posted:

travis got a new seggie to make his brothers feel real pain

griffin came back from the first week of taking care of a baby, the worst week of any parent's life, to experience travis doing a new painful segment at him

(which actually feels like a bit from hey riddle riddle, a podcast that i love but for some reason has anthony burch as a guest host this week)

e: there's some Ted Cruz riffin in this one

Yeah it owned

Doubly so because Griffin crushed the segment, proving he is on the wavelength of the segment despite his protests.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I'm all outraged out

Hope they drop the ad or something.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I just wanna read crystal kingdom

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Colonel Whitey posted:

I was going to post something about Brian angling to get a job making digital shorts for snl but drat, I bet that patreon money is way better. Plus his vibe doesn’t seem like it would gel with that show anyway.

Working for Lorne sounds like a huge beating.

Put Tara in charge of SNL digital shorts and then we're cooking again.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Apparently the new and final adventure zone is out

Still not listening to it, but it sounds like there's a kinda directionless battle and then it just.. sorta ends?

4 weeks till Griffin's next campaign, hopefully it'll be worth a listen!

Thanks for these great updates

Also color me shocked that we've got controversy that doesn't involve the brothers, does involve Jessie Thorn, BUT Thorn isn't the problem for once. Miracles do happen.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
With the end of Graduation I sincerely hope we can put an end to the regular "well I didn't listen but from what everyone else says it sounds like poo poo and this is how I would fix it" posts. That would be swell.

Secondly, if you haven't listened to this week's Wonderful! you really should. Griffin breaks out his childhood journals and you get some real gems. Griffin liked himself a fib or three growing up.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I think it's fair to criticize the product, but if someone is just going by what other people are saying and hasn't listened since its first three months, then what kinda criticism is being floated out there? Graduation did not take long to be the black sheep of the show, I don't think anyone's denying that. But drat there have been some solid episodes criticized by people who weren't even listening. It's maddening.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I dont know how Justin always manages to nail it, but he always manages to nail it.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

It's beautiful

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
First part of munch squad was whatever, but boy that 2nd bit was....meowza

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Absolute madmen

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
It was all worth it for the walk back of "maybe don't leave on a cliff hanger cause there's no telling if our audience wants us back."

The laughter from that was purestrain stuff. Episode was good, if only as a reading on where the boys are at through the pandemic.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I will choose to not listen to a show about bad posts.

I can just look at my own posts if I want to make a game out of it.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
The Besties should really just not do "best of" two parters. Their Zelda and GTA episodes felt like a colossal waste of time. They try to talk about way too many games than their episodes length can really handle, so you just get brief cliff notes opinions on some games that require more than "oh it's on the gameboy, it's fine."

I would rather listen to 30 minutes of them discussing whatever the hell they've been playing and their thoughts on it. Old, new, it doesn't matter. The formats for these "best of" episodes are just bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
And she married the Dale-est mofo I've seen

How quaint