Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

mikeycp posted:

hopefully this time everyone stays cool and remembers the colden rule of mcelory fandom:

posting to frustrate each other is not a fun way to post because we're all on the same team and that team is to have fun together and to make it fun for all our audiences. And so when people make posts just to frustrate each other and just to troll each other, there's enough of that in the world today, of people trolling each other just to be mean and to be hurtful, and if we're gonna post in this space together we need to do it because we want each other to have fun and not because we're trying to frustrate each other, cause there's enough frustrating things in the world right now and there's enough we can't control, and one of the things we can control is that everyone is here to have fun and not waste each others' time and so when we make decisions that are meant to troll each other, that's something that bad people do.

Couldn’t agree more friend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
Jokes on you I love munch squad mm mm wholesome goodness, my brother, my brother, and munch

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
I don’t want to pile on the Travis hate because I find him annoying but if he reined it back he’d be fine

I tapped out of graduation when he went on Twitter and said in response to criticism he’s not changing his DM style so if you don’t like it stop listening this was around imp hospital

It’s good to know he’s actually trying to not railroad and take over the table as much, won’t make me listen to graduation but good to know

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
please, everyone:

posting to frustrate each other is not a fun way to post because we're all on the same team and that team is to have fun together and to make it fun for all our audiences. And so when people make posts just to frustrate each other and just to troll each other, there's enough of that in the world today, of people trolling each other just to be mean and to be hurtful, and if we're gonna post in this space together we need to do it because we want each other to have fun and not because we're trying to frustrate each other, cause there's enough frustrating things in the world right now and there's enough we can't control, and one of the things we can control is that everyone is here to have fun and not waste each others' time and so when we make decisions that are meant to troll each other, that's something that bad people do.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

Srice posted:

My live show proposal is that when it is safe to do live shows again they should get Jon Gabrus as a special guest, so that he can bully all the bad question-askers.

Gabrus is way too cool for the mcelroys, you listen to the poo poo he gives mike Mitchell, Travis would be crying by the end of it

I would pay good money to see them on a power hour with gabrus

Do it ironically fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Apr 3, 2021

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

SpacePig posted:

I forgot about Canadian Justin McElroy.

I live in BC it loving sucks there are so many loving anti vaxxer anti covid assholes

Today in my interior BC town there was a huge anti covid “freedom” protest, I can’t the vaccine soon enough

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
Actually just put TAZ out to the pasture, there are many far superior dnd actual plays, at the very least turn it into an improv or serialized fiction podcast

Maybe do it as one offs in live events

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

Sinteres posted:

Which are the best in your opinion?

NADDPOD
Rude tales of magic
Dungeons and daddies
Dimension 20
Dragon friends

And if we’re talking better than TAZ but not really my taste things like
Critical Role
Glass Cannon

Also the problem with bringing in a competent dm is these good dms already have their own podcast so why would they do TAZ to compete with their own stuff

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

Ok Comboomer posted:

that’s not really how this internet fandom stuff works

say what you will about pissing off the contingent of the internet that appears to just hate the McElroys, or that would react negatively to that sort of arrangement, but the pie isn’t yet so small/nobody’s career is yet that big that anybody in that space with any sort of following or career wouldn’t benefit more from it than be hurt from a “competing shows” standpoint.

I don’t think any notable RPG podcaster would have their shows’ ratings or metrics appreciably hurt by guesting on a show like TAZ, especially considering that it’s clearly important enough to get written about in the NYT within 120 days of people storming the US Capitol

Yeah I’m not going to disagree with you I guess what I’ll say is all these podcasters have their brand and I envision them not wanting to lessen their show (or if they bomb ruin the TAZ brand) or also say the mcelroy’s having to negotiate payment royalties to whoever they bring in, as I would imagine no one would do it for just a flat fee

It’s an interesting idea I just don’t think it would happen

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

Undead Hippo posted:

Do podcasts have a long tail revenue stream? I thought that for an episode you would get the ad read fees, and then you also get your share of the big pot of max fun contributions. And that's it. If somebody goes back in 5 years and listens to episode 57 it helps boost your analytics to pitch to advertisers and hopefully gets more fans who would consider pledging in future, but it's not getting new money in directly.

In that kind of model a flat fee makes sense for a guest.

But maybe I'm way off base about how this works?

Yeah I really have no idea but Balance has graphic novels, and then there’s merch, live events using the property etc

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

Empty Sandwich posted:

ok

I am v much enjoying Mission: Imp Hospital

Mods!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
Since I gave a lot of poo poo to graduation and how awful it was (it was), I enjoyed this first episode