Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

inferis posted:

The next adventure zone should be a group of focus grouped diverse people role playing as the mcelroys.

So long as Griffin gets to play 9-year-old Turbo Teen Griffin McElroy from that Amnesty one-shot a while back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Just Chamber posted:

If we could get Brennan Lee Mulligan to DM a TAZ I'd be so drat happy.

He did do the Dadlands one-shot, didn't he?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I could be misremembering, but isn't there some medical reason for Travis making That Face all the time rather than because he personally wants to annoy people in this thread?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

IronicDongz posted:

is this bait

Naah, if it were bait I'd just ask why people had a problem with a perfectly ordinary smile.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

taco show posted:

Uhh well I started listening to Dust since it’s between the Amnesty arcs and I really like the game system so far. I’ll come back to Balance after I wrap Amnesty.

It just all seems like a pretty harmless and funny podcast? I didn’t know what kind of insane fandom/BEC I walked into when I started a week ago. The subreddits are all insane. How the hell did it get this way?

Generally if you like something avoid its fan communities at all costs. They are all terrible and this is very mild compared to some of the horrors I've seen.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Dust was pretty good (though as usual Justin's character was about 70% of the reason to listen) and Travis's one-shots were a lot of fun. I'll probably take another run at Graduation sometime, since I didn't hate it so much as I kind of lost interest, but he definitely bit off more than he can chew, which is a thing that has happened to me back when I DMed more often too, so, you know, not the greatest sin in the world.

I think Amnesty's actually my favorite thing they've done long-form, even though I agree with a lot of the criticisms of it in the end. It felt like they were all really invested in the world and the people they were playing and that makes up for a lot.

My only real complaint about Travis is that he looks vaguely like one of my coworkers and that is not something I need in my entertainment thank you very much.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

VaultAggie posted:

I did enjoy Amnesty, especially at the beginning, but I couldn’t really tell you anything that happened in it. The long waits between episodes and complexity of the plot left my scratching my head at what the hell was going on. I remember the morgue ending got me really excited for a bit but I still don’t get what the shapeshifter was or the quell or why Sephiroth showed up.

In some ways Amnesty is my favorite (not-a-one-shot) thing they've done but I am consistently unable to really argue with all the various flaws that are brought up about it, especially the one where there was a hell of a lot that didn't become at all clear until right before the very end and even then only kind of and I couldn't really explain most of it now.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Zeeman posted:

Yeah, like I still have no idea what the deal was with Beacon

I thiiiiiiiink the idea was that the AI groupmind that was the final big bad had been programmed to shut down if it ever got too openly antagonistic and shoving Beacon into its heart turned its antagonism up to 11. Or something.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Low stakes crises can often be more interesting than save-the-world stuff in general. I think Amnesty scaled reasonably well, but I certainly could have done with fewer cases of "I take a step" "THE YEAR IS 1985. YOU ARE IN YOUR CHILDHOOD HOME. AGAIN."

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I'm pretty sure that the motivation for this Quiet Year prelude was about 70% "We just want to try out The Quiet Year" and about 30% "Griffin needs some time before launching a massive new campaign".

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

John Wick of Dogs posted:

How about a real person fic where Q makes Picard and Sir Patrick Stewart switch places, that would be fun

There's been at least one pair of TOS stories (written back in the 60s/70s) where the actors and characters switched places due to a transporter accident and I'd be astonished if there weren't similar TNG stories.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

change my name posted:

"We're banning all discussions of ANY SORT comparing asses to dump trucks, tanks, garbage trucks, cranes..."

We at the Maximum Fun community call upon Sir Mixalot to clarify that he actually appreciates butts of all sizes.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Devo's impassioned "NO YOU IDIOTS IF YOU SAY HI TO THE WORM IT WILL JUST WANT TO EAT US" monologue may be the best thing I've heard Travis do in The Adventure Zone.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Fil5000 posted:

Ah, it's a shame they're moving on from Ethersea for a bit but I've absolutely got in a creative rut with a campaign before and needed a break so I get it. I think I'd like to see Clint DM something though.

The superhero thing he GMed between Balance and Amnesty was a lot of fun even if they never really came to grips with FATE as a system.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Harriet Carker posted:

No ya’ll. He doesn’t say ree-sees. He says ree-see. No plural. It’s messed up

I definitely knew people who said this where I grew up in Ohio (which was not all that far from the WV border). Like it wasn't standard or anything but it was a known thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Been relistening to Balance from the beginning and Travis blatantly cheating, and everyone making it clear that they know drat well that he's blatantly cheating, is very funny.

(Though my recollection is that when they finally talk about it openly, the punchline that Justin had also been fudging his rolls made it all the funnier.)