Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Oh hey, new thread. Cool.

Sleepy Griffin has always been the best Griffin. The brothers are generally only able to reach the highest level of comedy when they are A) sleep deprived B) on drugs or C) hosed up on pasta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

BREAKING NEWS: SOMEONE IS BEING DUMB ON THE INTERNET. SHOCKING! We must discuss every facet of this utterly unique occurance.

Warbird posted:

I can’t believe Dale made them read that ad copy.

Also the best McElroy did a new thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdVgPCM5wEk

Extremely good.

Tears In A Vial posted:

havent listened for a few weeks, so im doing a catchup. the bit where they've put a coin in the jar for every This is very good.

What a ridiculous amount of effort their editor must have gone through to make that bit a reality.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

My Brother My Brother and Ron into Episode 420 has been the best the show has been in ages.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

If I ever want to check out some bad posts I just crank out a few more like usual. No podcast required.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

These episodes where they have a guest on for the entire show doing normal questions are so good I can't believe it's taken them this long to give the format a shot.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I inferred that it was Boat Beauties because that sounds very much like a phrase the McElroys would come up with to refer to shrimp. I googled that+mbmbam and it's from episode 530. Zero memory of that, not sure why they went with that for the pin.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

"If we get to this donation level then I'll shave my beard/head" is a pretty normal fun thing to do for a donation drive. I came here to snark about how since it's Travis doing it people will still find a way to spin it as some unique and/or terrible thing, but I was way too late and it happened in the very next post after it came up.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

The 7th Guest posted:

he now looks like if justin was an 80s drug-busting cop

i mostly want to get justin and griffin's takes on it

It’s him!

It’s Tyler McElroy!

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Acute Grill posted:

Podcaster Anthony.

:hmmyes:

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

It's a bit; Munch Squad is not sponsored by illicit under-the-table fast food sponsorship deals.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

sticklefifer posted:

Is that the one that adds the time portal? I wanted to check that out but I haven't been following it.

Yes, it's out now. It's rough around the edges but I very much enjoyed it.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I don’t think I’ve ever heard a TAZ jumbotron. Why would you not skip the ads segment of a TAZ episode? It’s not like MBMBaM where there might be a great bit in there.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

AndrewP posted:

I'm imagining opening up the front cover to a fantasy book and seeing this

I would love to see a talented artist attempt to make a good-looking render of this nonsense map.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Escobarbarian posted:

https://twitter.com/justinmcelroy/status/1410570130845732872?s=21

2006 Travis I’m sorry but your nu-metal band is never going to take off

2006 Sydnee you should dump that loser and go out with me!!!

2006 Griffin…….oh man even I would bully you and I looked like poo poo back then and am three years younger than you

Justin and Clint look basically the same

In every picture of Travis from the last ~12 years he looks exactly the same, and every picture from before then he looks completely different.

thecluckmeme posted:

For anybody that didn't want to listen to TQY episodes, there is a fifteen minute episode that acts as a summary before the Episode 0/1/whatever next week. There's also some more maps at bit.ly/EtherseaMaps detailing the end result of the underwater city of Founder's Wake.

I did listen to them and could still use the summary.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

eke out posted:

it's time we talk about clint appropriating the very real condition of your personality being a combination of a bunch of ghosts

The Adventure Zone: Etherkin

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

That might be the hardest I’ve ever laughed at the number six.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

https://youtu.be/2SHz8WYFRc4

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

It only takes a little thing to turn a bad Munch Squad into a good one. This week that thing was them trying to parse out what it means to “purchase the cash equivalent of one million chicken nuggets and donate it.”

Oh yeah, and I tried those new Popeye’s nuggets earlier this week. They are impressively bad. I have no idea how they ended up so much worse than the tenders.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Killingyouguy! posted:

This is part of what bothers me about it, I think. Not only is it incredibly saccharine, but it seems like unhealthy boundaries between podcaster and listener are what both the McElroys and their audience have come to expect and the song is not helping. The podcast should not be trying to be my best friend

It isn't.

Pork Lift posted:

The best song was the placeholder rugrats theme.

Although I do like the new intro, I must admit the Rugrats placeholder was both catchier and more relevant.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

more falafel please posted:

They did do a live ep of TAZ, another run of Honey Heist.

I'm sure there's lots of fun little one-shot systems that would make for a great live show. If they're hurting for cash, they could make virtual one-shot liveshows a regular thing.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

You know I thought this criticism was overblown but I gotta say, the 90-second spoken word segment explaining how you can become close friends with someone by listening to recordings of them talking was kinda problematic. I mean, did she really have to say that once you have listened to 100 hours of someone's podcast it's okay to show up at their house uninvited? I'm not sure I agree with that.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Shinjobi posted:

Try the new Taco Bell with your Taco Bell Toll Tag! Place your order online in advance using your Taco Bell App, and just drive on through as our Taco Bell Automation Service scans your tag and delivers your order straight to your window! Leave the line behind, it's Taco Toll Time tmtmtmtmtmmtmtmtm

100 lucky Taco Bell superfans will be enrolled into the test run of the Taco Bell Toll Tag 2.0, which will be injected directly into the prefrontal cortex. Soon you'll be able to order a delicious crunchwrap with a mere thought!

HEALTH AND SAFETY WARNING: Customers in possession of the Taco Bell Toll Tag 2.0 should refrain from thinking negative thoughts regarding Taco Bell, Yum! Brands, or any other Yum! Brands subsidiaries at all times.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Regarding the new TAZ: I’m quite enjoying it so far. Guthrie’s betrayal was well telegraphed and nicely executed, I hope we get a fun recurring villain out of that.

Regarding the music video: Travis has undergone an indescribable transformation.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

eke out posted:

also this episode was great, everyone did their thing very well

season really does have season 1 vibes, it's much more fun and relaxed than things have been in a long time, even though everyone's way more in character than they were back in those early days

I agree, they're actually acting out their characters being serious during moments that call for it, yet it never becomes maudlin or boring, or goes too long without a joke. Very promising start.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

IIRC Thalidomide’s side effects can also manifest if you impregnate someone while taking it. Pretty hosed up.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

eke out posted:

lol @ travis suggesting they use all the extra money on helping whoever that dude was and justin immediately getting extremely salty

Yeah, that was a great decision. First we got exasperated Justin, then we got a great character moment (Devo and Amber explaining their different perspectives on charity), then we got a great comic payoff (Amber's Place.) Very promising!

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

The pumpkin quiz readthrough was boring, but it could have been funny, so it didn't rub me the wrong way like when he just plays a commercial or whatever. Sometimes you throw an airball but it's fine as long as you actually put in the effort to throw the drat thing.

eke out posted:

justin talking about how it's the most successful thing he's ever done online and it in no way can help his career was very funny actually

Yeah, especially the later payoff of it also being the first line of Travis's obituary was hilarious to me.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I listened. It is, as you might have guessed, a brief overview of the history of this phenomenon, the locations and contexts in which it has taken place, the results of clinical studies into the measurable physical effects, and the prevailing theories as to why these effects occurred. Sydnee does not offer an opinion or explanation of her own because, obviously, she has no unique insight into any of it. It’s not like she’s treated any of these people, and she doesn’t know anything about weapons. She explains the prevailing theories which are that it is some type of weapon or that it is mass psychogenic illness, a phenomenon previously covered in the dancing plague episode. Some of the people examined do have brain damage, but such damage can be caused by trauma. That is, if you genuinely believe that you are being attacked by some sort of dangerous weapon, the stress and trauma caused by that belief can actually damage your brain.

Overall I found it to be a bit of a boring episode. It’s techically a medical topic but none of Sydnee’s doctor knowledge could really be applied in order to offer a unique perspective. It was basically just a runthrough of when and where people have claimed to suffer these symptoms. I found it decently interesting because I had never heard of any of this before, but if you already know about it I’d give it a pass. You won’t learn anything new.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Yeah I was worried going into this episode when I saw that post, and then when I got to the end of the episode I was confused because I had no idea what it was referring to.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I've really fallen off MBMBaM as of late. I'll listen up to the moneyzone and then stop, because I know there's going to be a munch squad afterward, and I know it's going to suck. On the other hand, TAZ is in a really great place right now. Ethersea has been very enjoyable, plus this new Imbalance miniseries is a lot of fun. "one in the front nine in the back" really caught me off-guard.

The Modern Leper posted:

Ah hell, I'll take the bullet:

https://twitter.com/snlhostsintro/status/1446252923898327152

I've never heard somebody aim for Jamaican and hit Italian.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Sankara posted:

I liked Justin's razzing of Griffin's way of setting scenes this episode.

Oh my gosh, it was so amazing when Rachel actually put the dramatic music behind Justin's impression of Griffin being dramatic.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

If you listened to Amber's weird rambling rant about how she would totally steal from a cop and thought that it was sucking the fun out of the podcast, I really don't know what to tell you.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I still want the Paul Blart sequel to be Paul Blart: Time Cop where he ends up guarding a time machine which he accidentally has to use, and it is revealed that he himself is the shadow man who was running his life

I thought about this for a moment; the concept of Paul going back in time to stop a time criminal from causing him problems only to realize that those actions were necessary for the timeline to proceed as destined, so now he has to go back in time and make himself pass out during the police officer training, run his mom over with a milk truck, etc. However that made me think: what actually would have happened if Paul Blart never existed?

The answer is: A mall would have had a security breach one Black Friday that cuased a bunch of people to have their identity stolen, and some thieves would have stolen some art. No big deal at all in the grand scheme of things. The only reason the Blart movies have such high-stakes and life-or-death situations is because of loving Paul Blart putting himself and the people he loves in danger.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I come to this thread with grave and shocking news: someone somewhere doesn't like a podcast you like.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Ok Comboomer posted:

this news makes me want to scream

it just makes me wanna

:lmao:

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Empty Sandwich posted:

if you kids don't behave I'm going to have to bring out The Plate

Oh my god, I just realized what Travis's face on this scary plate reminds me of.

Does anyone else see this or is it just me?

EDIT: In all seriousness, I can't believe they let that image through to be put on the finished product. It's so unappealing.

Ariong fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Nov 30, 2021

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Source

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

PostNouveau posted:

lol this D&D character existential crisis is such a weird way to open an episode

"Is this all there is?!?!?"

That was a weird segment because Devo was doing a really bad job of getting his point across. I don't think it was intentional, Devo is supposed to be a really good orator, I think maybe Travis just didn't practice what he was going to say before he said it.

I think he has a decent point though. It's very obvious that the three players made their characters without taking into account the fact that their group would be solely responsible for piloting and maintaining a ship. None of them have ever done either of those things before. I'm not sure whether Griffin failed to let them in on the fact that those skills would be relevant or if the players failed to account for that in their character creation, but it has lead to some awkward moments. Devo has fallen comfortably into the pilot role, but so far whenever something bad happens to the engines, they just sort of flounder around for a while. Griffin seems to be angling toward making Urchin the ship's mechanic, but it makes sense to me that Devo would want to add another person to the crew A) because they keep almost dying and that is scary and B) so that they have someone onboard who actually knows things about ships and can be called upon to do something when those skills are required.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Between thinking that MTG is one and sorting the genre into the same territory as MOBAs and MMOs of all things, I am absolutely baffled as to what you think a deckbuilder is.

In other news, I have purchased the Glass Shark NFT. It appears to be a JPG of a swimming pool, but I am assured of the presence of the shark within the pool because it says on the blockchain that its in there. This is how I know that $89,000 was a small price to pay for this investment. My wife is divorcing me.

Ariong fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Dec 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Why not just make a necklace out of the whole plate?