Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I just finished the Ethernet Prologue and got to them introducing their characters and… oh no at Travis’ choice of accent.

I laughed at the “you get one cough chance to change it”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
War on Grandpa episode: wild

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I hope the techno wizard totally skunks you pig gently caress dorf corpos and your macro salinated chips.

I’ll be over here poppin wheelies over ice with my sweet deck!

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
After reading about all of the fans' parasocial boundary problems the McElorys' run into (and honestly profit from), I have come to the honest conclusion that the way the Action Boyz handle the same thing is the best solution:

1. Constantly berate your audience
2. Want nothing to do with them including zero interaction
3. Mock and troll them mercilessly when they post stupid poo poo

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

misadventurous posted:

as long as the final encounter isn’t about fighting nebulous tendrils of chaos energy i’m fine

What about the well defined tentacles of order energy?

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
FYI Slay the spire and poo poo are deck building games that kind of reset your progress every game to balance it out so that you can play forever, like Tetris

Inscryption straight up gives you poo poo that breaks the game’s mechanics if you’re realize it because the game wants to you keep going and experience the whole thing once. Not just keep playing forever.

I mean, I think maybe a lot of people don’t realize this and like miss the way to notice the game breaking poo poo that it throws at you? I don’t think you have to “replay” the “game” like only 4-5 times before it starts letting you basically cheat.

Edit - letting you cheat is like part of the narrative and not just like some easy mode for you babies out there. The game is rad.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Gotta hand it to the McElorys for completely monetizing peoples desire to join their secret club of being a family by trying to buy their way in via that fukken plate

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Twenty twenty two, big dog dew

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Valentin posted:

"2022, big dog doo" is right there

F, I was thinking the Mountain Dew angle but yeah, totally better

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I dunno what the gently caress they were thinking by passing up on Twenty Mummy Crew

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Does Justin’s Ethersea character voice ever get less grating or does everyone just get used to it?

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I think someone mentioned it before but the worst is the loving Dr Gameshow with that one guy Monolo or something. His loving lovely Eeyore impression makes me physically ill.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Facebook conned a lot of people with the “pivot to video” scam that the bottom fell out of in like late 2017 or such, so I doubt the bois will do any more video.

Also dat Seeso money ain’t ever coming back soooo

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Hey I like the Flophouse, but mostly because they actually go over the plots of movies in some sort of detail (much like ABZ) instead of just being like "MAN WASN'T IT WEIRD WHEN THIS HAPPENED?" like most movie podcasts.

I'm sure they deal with all sorts of parasocial relationship poo poo, especially with Stu being a bartender. Of course whatever helps gets butts in seats at a place like a bar in Brooklyn can't hurt, not to mention being a bartender in general makes you develop a real thick skin for loving weirdos.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
gently caress I would never want to join any politics in this country and culture now.

You get a giant propaganda target plastered on you unless you sell out and suck rich person dick 24/7 and then even if you win most of your “colleagues” are corrupt as gently caress if not just completely incompetent but like propped by aforementioned rich person dick.

So… good luck, Sidney?

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

eke out posted:

i wonder what their reasoning is that they don't just make, you know, what would instantly be a top-10 patreon

like not another dnd podcast is not as big as TAZ much less TAZ+MBMBAM, and they have 22,500 subscribers at a minimum $2/mo (and they're also on headgum and ad-supported as well). dungeons and daddies is smaller than naddpod i think and has 21k patrons at a minimum of $5/mo, in addition to ads

i wonder if it's some business decision or a maxfun thing? i recall i think gabrus talking about how earwolf was not cool with outside monetization, but that when he went to headgum they were like "we want to sell ads on your show, that's it, any patreon or whatever is fine with us"

Maximum Fun is their Patreon platform right now, basically. You can't have both without pissing off the former.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
When we wander the future wastelands, lucky enough to still be alive to ponder humanity’s failures, the nomads still clutching their plates shall be kings.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Ok Comboomer posted:

Flophouse question- did Stew and Dan really hate Don’t Look Up that much?

The movie sucked so yeah I can imagine they hated it

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Yeah, I wish her the best when running as anything other than the almighty “R” that people in a place like West Virginia will vote for regardless of name or personality or horribleness behind that team designation.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Froghammer posted:

It bums me out to think it but this is the second campaign in a row I've had to stop listening to due to Travis

It almost seems like there is some sort of correlation here.

Didn't Travis also admit to cheating on his rolls in Balance? Pretty laff.

rollick posted:

Wasn't Stuart Wellington a guest DM once on a live show or bonus episode? Or just a special guest PC?

Guest DM on the yearly "hosts swap podcasts" thing for MaxFunCon like... 2016 or something. Only two episodes had them actually playing D&D.

Stu eventually went on to do more FlopTales bonus episodes on their own Flop House feed, but they were more weird tales Gum Shoe themed using Powered by the Apocalypse, however all of the characters are similar to their D&D counterparts. Including Tanzer, who is amazing.

And yes, Stu is his cohost players are far better at this poo poo because a) Stu is a great DM and b) the other players kind of don't give a poo poo about the games, so it has a lot of "everyone is Clint McElroy trying to play an RPG" energy and less try-hard Travis bullshit.

jeeves fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jul 21, 2022

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

External Organs posted:

Can't believe I forgot about Tanzer Silverview, of the Silverviews!

I kind of which every RPG had a rare class just called "rich."

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Montaigne is cool and her song with Tom Cardy is amazing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozezG1zpxXQ

Bean Dad can suck a dick for torpedoing Great Gen's War Film podcast. Not like it was an amazing podcast, but you don't really have many pods out there actually talking about old historical war-adjacent films.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Arbys And Old Spice was the Portland show, which was a wild and good event to be at.

It was also the one with the lady who had too many rabbits jizzing on her but I didn’t finish the pod ep version to see if they included that.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
But them being bad at what they do is part of the ~charm~, question mark?

I'd be interested to see the numbers drop in their TAZ listenership on each new thing. Balance was definitely an interesting fluke since they got lucky with having early access to 5th edition rules and being actually funny with their early poo poo before EVERYTHING MUST BE CONSTANTLY SERIOUS starting with Suffering chapter or whatever.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Full me four times, shame on me.

poo poo is gonna end with them saving all known universes ever… again!

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
We and Justin made fun of that ridiculous attack add, but this is kind of the huge current problem with local elections. When a Republican suddenly has a mysterious 50K ad buy or something out of no where when usually an election with that view voters has a budget of less than a couple thousand on each side definitely says something.

Basically Republicans dominate all of these tiny local races because all of the dark money that billionaires can throw around to vastly outspend rivals to tip the scales with propaganda. Something like 50K is less than pocket change to a billionaire, and then all of the local level ads up to controlling state legislatures to further gerrymanders poo poo.

I’m glad Sydnee tried but drat is it ever an uphill battle in places like WV. This country needs to dump first past the post voting asap but it never will.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
The forsaking of Twenty Blunty Tree is unforgivable

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Justin’s commitment to trying to become the world’s most knowledgeable person on the film Monkey Bone by sheer volume of watching it 6 times in preparation for Blank Check made me appreciate him so much.

Travis can’t even be bothered to watch Avatar but we all know he secretly has but pretends to not in his desperate attempt to seem cool.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
It’s not that Travis may be right about something much like a broken clock could be, it’s that he has so obviously secretly seen it and is just poser-ing about having not.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
The only ad that is painful to accidentally not skip is the game show one with the lady from Joe Pera’s show who’s entire bit is that she sounds like she is on the verge of tears constantly and the loving other dude that sounds like he wants so desperately to be Eyore.

The latter is so grating that it almost makes the former bearable, but by their powers combined holy poo poo does it make my ears bleed

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
In the future you will own nothing and be happy

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Friendly Fire had a good niche of war films locked down, but had a real issue of the actual funny video production Trek nerds constantly being talked down to by a boomer who thought he knew everything about anything just because the two millennials knew even less about history than him.

That vibe got old real quick. I would rather just listen to the nerds watch movies on their own— oh you know why their podcast is popular already.

If you want a continuation of the genre of podcast that covers war films I think the closest podcast is ActionBoyz, now on their 300th+ episode of 70/80/90s films somehow.

jeeves fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Mar 16, 2023

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Greatest Gen is good as long as you don't really listen to any of their secondary "New Star Trek" podcast about the new series over the past 5 years.

They've made Trek their day time jobs and incomes, so they can never fully call out how loving absolute dogshit the new Trek generally is. They bend over backwards to constantly say good things about it so just be ware that their opinions of the show may not really... match reality.

But yes, their TNG-DS9-Voyager content has been great, especially the TNG episodes since they all knew those like the back of their hand.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
It was funny to hear 99% Invisible proclaim that they were a proud new member of the Spotify family or some poo poo, and then immediately start having like an extra half an hour of ads per episode.

So I guess good for Maxfun.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Entropic posted:

I distinctly remember hearing Roman Mars say they'd been bought out by Sirius but he was donating $1,000,000 from the sale to radiotopia and thinking motherfucker how much did you get paid

Yeah doesn’t he own Radiotopia? So good of him to donate to it!

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
You can always just give one month and then stop for the year.

They’re not with it enough to have like private rss feeds that go offline when you don’t pay like Patreon or such.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

QuoProQuid posted:

the less tedious world building i have to sit through, the better

What, you don’t want ANOTHER QUIET YEAR????

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

The 7th Guest posted:

VRV will be officially shutting down on May 8th. VRV/SeeSo originals like MBMBAM, HarmonQuest, etc, will NOT be migrating to Crunchyroll.

The Age of Streaming: billionaires eventually wealth hoard all art, even the lovely art

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Humanity is burying itself in plastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
It was weird when I realized that the "sounds like she is about to burst into tears at any moment" co-host of the gameshow podcast was the same lady as the "seems like she is about to burst into tears at any moment" girlfriend character on Joe Pera's show.

She's okay though, even if that is her entire shtick. That Eeyore sounding dude is far worse.