Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

AuroMarshmallow posted:

I feel similarly. I just recently resubscribed to MBMBaM after about a year off, although I'm still only listening to episodes sporadically, and I only really average a few chuckles an episode usually. I firmly believe that 2012-2014 or thereabouts was the best era for the podcast though, and would love it if they could recapture that energy.

That said, I still catch Death Blart every American Thanksgiving, as god intended.

Did you catch the sporadic Trolls podcast? Absolutely pure McElroy good boy energy in that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Srice posted:

I don't play tabletop games so perhaps it's just my lack of experience speaking, but recapturing a successful campaign without retreading sounds incredibly difficult to me.

Especially when the success of the previous campaign was in stumbling onto a heartfelt connection with the characters after many, many hours of goofing off.

Amnesty and Graduation both had the problem of trying to get the audience to love the characters right away for their engaging and unique backstories, rather than picking up some default template starter heroes and filling in the blanks with jokes.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Wasabi the J posted:

Lukewarm take at worst.

I miss a lot of justin's dead bits. Why he latched onto munch squad we'll never know but that's just his steeze now like griffin's Yahoo.

I have a theory about why Justin is so enamored with Munch Squad and it's related to his interest in professional wrestling. Both rely on kayfabe.

The person writing the press release knows it's a lie, and the customers know it's a lie, and Justin knows it's a lie, but for five to twenty minutes every podcast we get to inhabit a world where Zaxby's chicken sandwich warriors are real and cool and my friend.

I just wish he'd pick better topics for the segment.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
If you started listening with Amnesty then you might take the theme music a bit for granted. Griffin didn't start composing music for the episodes until I wanna say the third arc of Balance, which coincidentally is when a lot of folks say the game really hit its stride.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Crazyeyes posted:

I'm still following TAZ. Justin is the light shining in the darkness. The railroad is still very much in effect, however. Honestly unsure how much farther this arc is intended to go as pacing and plot is so oddly both out the window and in your face, but Travis has declared this is their last level-up so probably not much longer in the grand scheme.

Extremely familiar "this game is falling apart" nervous energy around the gaming table when Travis started berating Justin for zoning out and not paying attention to the name of the NPC he had just been interacting with.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
In the Money Zone announcements Travis says that they've finished recording the remaining episodes of Graduation in anticipation of Griffin's paternity leave, so it should be over very soon now.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

flesh dance posted:

Truck sim video reminding me how excellent their gameplays were

Hard to top this one IMO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CjNgjMLY-I

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
I think that whether you describe something as "virtue signaling" or "performative wokeness" depends on how YOU, the speaker feel about the behavior in question.

If you think it's an admirable goal but someone is trying too hard, centering themselves too much, or just has a surface-level understanding of what they're proclaiming to support, then it's performative wokeness.

If you think that someone putting pronouns in their bio is a beta SJW cuck trying to white knight for the feminazis, then it's virtue signaling and we can hear all about it on your YouTube channel.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

well why not posted:

BDG straight-down-the-barrel saying "You are not my friend, and you have no say in my appearance" to the audience was a great choice.

I missed this when it originally came out and finally tracked down the video where he said it. Amazing self-determination move, I'm in awe.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Democratic Pirate posted:

Here just spend 30 minutes of your life on this

https://youtu.be/2cT6ULpScZA

Absolute pro-click; I don't even like Pokemon and I've watched this three times in full.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Elvis_Maximus posted:

He's got like 4k patreons, so if even 50% of them are at the $5 tier that's still a good 15k a month with Patreon taking a 25% cut (presuming the other 50% are somewhat split between tiers)

He's making out pretty dang good for sure, and good for him. The guy is insanely talented

Sounds like a good amount of money to be making while self-employed, he should do a video about it.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Pollyanna posted:

Thank Travis for ending Graduation. I might start listening to TAZ again.

I wonder how the pizzagate crowd is feeling about this one. :thunk:

They won't be fondling MY children because I raise them to act like proper little ladies who don't raise alarm. But those mannish-looking girls over there? The ones who transferred in last year from some "ethnic" region? We'd better do some corrective inspection just to make sure everything's on the up-and-up.

I loving hate this so much.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
Not enough people are talking about the kitty-cat sound effects in the TAZ finale.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
The Quiet Year is real fun and I wish my friends would play it with me more. :smith:

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Just Chamber posted:

^ well diversity in guests is different altogether.

Apparently the beef with the wheelchair character was that they awkwardly banged their wheelchair into something.

And also according to someone in that thread (who is pro consultant) just having someone happen to be disabled isn't good enough and that unless the disability serves a purpose then they say don't include them at all. Like so does the fact they're diverse need to always be a plot point and constantly pointed out and built on? Shouldn't we be at a point where actually the fact that someone's black or disabled etc and its just casually mentioned as a brief descriptor and the story moves on as normal be the way its handled?

Don't get me wrong I see the need for consultants when you DO want to make the person's diversity a key part of your show or go into their heritage and explore the culture etc.

This is like the horseshoe theory version of "if there's no reason for a character to be gay then why mention it at all? stop shoving it in my face!"

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Colonel Whitey posted:

That has to be Justin's character right?

I want to say yes because it really seems like his thing, but being a big weird hulking character seems a little too close to the Firbolg for Justin to repeat a concept so soon. My money is on Travis repeating the concept.

e: ah beans

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Tears In A Vial posted:

This is gonna get lost in the TAZ chat, but if you like Beef And Dairy Network and/or Mike Wozniak, (the moustachioed man in that video/Taskmaster), he has an amazing Podcast called The St Elwick's Neighborhood Association Newsletter Podcast, which is an audio newsletter about a fictional town in South West England. It's very funny. Very Beef and Dairy.

Mike also did a six episode podcast panel show, ala International Waters, called Mr. Gameshow, which was very good.

I started listening to St Elwick's on the recommendation of this thread a couple months ago. It's definitely a very specific taste, like if you took Beef & Dairy and made the humor about 60% dryer and removed the cosmic absurdity. Luckily I like that.

Also there are no ads, which is nice.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
I imagine there's some lead time required to get all the pins commissioned and designed, so they have to take a swing at what they think is going to be a memorable stand-out bit in several months' time.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
I am shocked, SHOCKED, that a chapter of TAZ is taking more episodes than originally anticipated. (But not disappointed.)

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

VaultAggie posted:

What exactly is the point of the project timers? It seems like until winter or autumn, they don’t really matter and will get finished anyway.

It's not to provide tension of "will they or won't they get finished", it's to put something semi-permanent into play that can be interacted with until it's gone. Also it gives them a way to start brainstorming a world element and think for a while about ways it could go before committing to anything. You say "I want to start a project to build X" and then the next few turns influence how X ends up.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

RandomPauI posted:

Are we sure Ethersea isn't also being used to get fans to stop talking about Graduation?

I think the more viable :tinfoil: is that Graduation's end was hastened so that the new campaign would start during MaxFunDrive.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
I think having low visual standards is really important in The Quiet Year, because if you get worried about the quality of your doodles it might inhibit you from adding things that would otherwise be cool story elements.

They can come back later and make a pretty map when it's all final.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Acute Grill posted:

I think the brothers edit their own podcasts or if they don't do now they definitely used to.

I always thought that it was one of Griffin's duties but during one of the latest MaxFunDrive pitches they said they used the money to hire an editor.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
Congratulations/condolences to all on your new bundles of joy. Griffin is absolutely not faking it.

There is a parenting megathread in Ask/Tell should you desire commiseration.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Ches Neckbeard posted:

2) Munch Squad bad

I appreciated that Griffin directly addressed the Munch Squad haters (which includes myself) in the latest episode by telling them that things could be so much worse.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
The Night Vale creators also branched out into several other shows which are worth checking out. Within The Wires is “found audio” from a parallel universe where society coalesced into a global communalist dystopia after WWI, told through meditation tapes, museum guides, secretary dictation, etc. Alice Isn’t Dead is road-trip Americana musings mixed with conspiratorial horror, narrated by Jasika Nicole, known primarily as a guest star on Night Vale and also the TV show Fringe.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Alice Isn't Dead was so loving good. Within The Wires just never hooked me.

You might want to check back in on it if you have the time and inclination to see if any of the newer seasons hold your interest. They're all self-contained and pretty different from each other. The most recent one was a series of voicemails from a woman to her ex-girlfriend in reverse chronological order over the history of their relationship, the one before that was missives from a cult leader to her daughter as she travels the globe and subverts the world government.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Farecoal posted:

Where did he say this?

Opening 20 seconds of this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zb4CxTTFDfA

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
“Thank Travis For Travis”
3,471 words
Tags: m/m, duplication, cloning, sexpert

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

John Wick of Dogs posted:

How about a real person fic where Q makes Picard and Sir Patrick Stewart switch places, that would be fun

On the subject of notorious fandoms, this basically happened in canon to the main characters of Supernatural.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

lol that they keep trying to make Dungeons and Dragons movies.

Yeah, there's no way to improve on the one with Jeremy Irons, they should stop trying

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
There is nothing weird or depressing about Dungeons & Dragons (2000), it is a perfectly fine movie and I love it :colbert:

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Ok Comboomer posted:

yo, gimme a beat

my name is Travis

I love Lenny Kravitz

You try to catch me but you can’t grab this (grab us?)

I’ll blow you up like Piccolo killing Raditz

I’m Travis

Ha ha ha ha
:colbert:

stop this madness :psyboom:

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
I really wish they weren’t trying to force D&D into this setting, but that ship has sailed. Or submerged, whatever.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

VaultAggie posted:

Anyone been reading the a crystal Kingdom graphic novel? About 2/3 through and I’m really enjoying the changes they made, although the fights with the crystal golem were very difficult to follow.

I just finished it. I think it was better put together than the previous ones, which I don't know that I would have enjoyed without knowledge of the podcast. This felt like it stood on its own better.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
https://twitter.com/tuckwoodstock/status/1419691753691500544

that's certainly a way to drive up your listener numbers

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
Crushing news for the fourth fifth McElroy brother:
https://twitter.com/variety/status/1423785778845523970

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Pork Lift posted:

The best song was the placeholder rugrats theme.

You're absolutely not wrong.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

PostNouveau posted:

Man, I have listened to this Adventure Zone prologue warpup twice (and all the prologue episodes) and I'm still like "what the hell is going on here?"

Did somebody write this poo poo down somewhere? Maybe I can digest it easier in bulletpoint form.

- Magic was a gift from the gods. This was a contentious mistake which started an apocalypse.
- People from all nations of the world felt a mental call to settle a new society beneath the waves.
- They spent a year preparing. Much of their raw materials came from ore mined from the body of a dead god.
- Along the way, they figured out how to incorporate lost souls into coral golems. Most of these were from a nation that had been wiped out (magically shifted to another dimension?) in the earlier apocalypse, but at least one was just a regular dead person.
-At the end of a year, the militaristic religious nation that had spent its time building a flying city fortress came and attacked the coastline settlement, forcing everyone underwater for good.
- Also there was a guy convinced he could psychically fight sharks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
I'm several episodes behind on TAZ, but the scene with Griffin leaning away from his mic to negotiate "double dibs" made me really happy. Felt like old Balance stuff. Hopeful for the future.