Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
And that's not even the wildest part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I loved the consistency with the money jar clinking every time someone said "this". It must have been a huge pain in the rear end to edit.

The Halo Munch Squad was wild. It's such a stretch for an IP tie-in. It's like if the MCU started selling branded shawarmas, but in chip form.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
For those of you who miss Car Boys, Let's Game It Out does something similar, in terms of messing with games until they break. The newest Planet Coaster one is a lot of fun.

DesertIslandHermit posted:

I also liked TAZ: Dust. Travis is good for short stuff because it's easier to push a party through a story when it's about 4 episodes long.
Dust felt like it had more mileage to it than Graduation, and I wish they'd made it into a longer campaign the way they did with Amnesty instead of making a new one whole cloth. Graduation could've been a fun short one for a few months, but Dust felt bigger and its overall concept was more defined from the start.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Your obsession with this is weird and you're constantly riling people up for no reason.

The last thread became a poo poo-slinging fest, so lol at anyone calling the OP's reaction a "meltdown".

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Munch Squad may be hit or miss, but it did bring the Chicken Sandwich Wars to my attention. I don't watch a lot of stuff with commercial breaks in it, but the one time I did in the past week there were like 4 separate chicken sandwich commercials from McDonald's, KFC, Arby's, and Popeyes within a single hour. It's real. The Chicken Sandwich Wars are real. It's not just a press release thing.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Farecoal posted:

I've never heard of any of his Munch Squad stuff before he does it so it's always an enjoyable bit

He reads Twitter so I don't have to.

Regarding Travis bits, Riddle Me Piss is a good bit, it's just that people who don't like Travis find the Riddlemaster voice annoying. Justin and Griffin pretend they hate it to dunk on him, but once they actually get into the bit, they always enjoy it. It's fun hearing what bonkers backwards logic user submissions come up with for "answers" to their dumbass riddles.

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Mar 25, 2021

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I'm annoyed to this day that Donovan's "Hurdy Gurdy Man" doesn't feature a hurdy gurdy in it.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I was thinking of making a Drawfee thread, but would something like that should go in RGD or TVIV? I'm leaning more towards here because they're sort of podcast-adjacent but with drawings, rather than having actual "shows".

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

Eh, there is the case of Justin DM'ing Rachel Rosing asking her to not call them out when they're lovely:
I think I've posted about this before, but Rachel is perhaps not the best example of calling out behavior. She basically became king poo poo morality cop on all their Facebook groups which caused a bunch of fan drama that as far as I can tell was a big reason they left Facebook completely. It's not the least bit surprising she was trying to call out Still Buffering for not doing a white privilege episode despite it not being their thing, and outlaws bean talk because diets are inherently fatshaming.

Ok Comboomer posted:

Yeah but if you drill down on a lot of what people are actually taking issue with WRT Travis it’s poo poo like “soy face” and the fact that he does poo poo with his look and behavior that’s traditionally coded as queer.

Like there’s a bunch of people who “find it obnoxious” or whatever in a way that totally isn’t :thunk: as gently caress (see my previous post on the matter) but there’s also a bunch of people who are mad that Travis is straight and legit consider him dying his hair the queerness equivalent of stealing valor. And that’s also super weird and not ok.
Well the latter is from people who don't realize queer and straight aren't mutually exclusive terms (or still conflate queer as the antiquated gay slur), so it's pretty easy to spot them at least.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Queer has long been an umbrella term that can apply to gender spectrums as well as sexual orientation spectrums, as well as the absence of them. For example you could be a cis male pansexual, a genderfluid male-presenting heterosexual, or a non-binary asexual, and all of those would be considered "queer".

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

some plague rats posted:

I think maybe my confusion here is that you seem to be using a very wide definition of the word "straight"
I'm using the common definition of "straight" but the umbrella definition of "queer", because as I said, some people don't know you can be both at once.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
lol at SA being a barometer for internet status above any other website.

Endorph posted:

exhibit a: the two posters currently having an argument about whether 'straight' and 'queer' are mutually exclusive terms in a thread about a D&D podcast run by three cishet white guys
Nobody's having an argument, calm your tits. And maybe don't speak for how three celebrity strangers personally classify themselves either, because that's weird.

\/\/\/Ehh, I get that, but then that gets into the "who gets to be queer" gatekeeping that I was talking about in the first place.

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Mar 31, 2021

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

dmboogie posted:

those subreddits are obviously gross and bad and it reflects badly on the site administration that they’re still around but it’s not like the vast majority of the sites userbase knows about or actually posts on them

talking about people ‘outing themselves as redditors’ is embarrassing lmao cmon
There's a difference between deliberately self-identifying IRL as a redditor/goon/whatever and saying "Oh yeah I use this aggregate site sometimes" and it's not clear which one makes ok comboomer write off someone entirely as a human.

But I think the point we can all agree on is that nobody cares who ok comboomer writes off entirely as a human.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Ok Comboomer posted:

you’re so mad that I said that I think less of vocal redditors that now you’re putting words in my mouth :smug:
Sure, I'm SO mad.

The point you're not grasping is that high horsing any other website through the lens of SA is problematic at worst and laughable at best.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

TL posted:

Divine Wood was possibly Clint's high point in 70 goddamn episodes of that show. I'd never played D&D when I first heard that, and was on my second extended campaign on my second listen, and exclaimed gently caress YEAH! both times, and both felt earned to me.
I wish they'd gotten more mileage out of the ring. It has so many possibilities.

I'd change Chill Touch into Chill Couch and instantly make it end a battle to just hang out for a while on a comfy sofa and work out our issues reasonably.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
If nobody's playing the coral man, it at LEAST needs to be an NPC.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
The prologue is fine, but I do wish that Griffin as a storyteller would fold the world-building lore into the story as they go, because I'm never going to remember a large portion of this unless there's a major thematic tie directly to the story that consistently reminds me it exists.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

eke out posted:

i mean... the point of doing all this is to create the world that you will use. using this as the lore for your next game is literally the goal here

Yeah, it's still a huge exposition dump for audio that's going to be hard to retain for all but weekly appointment listeners. For the maps, they should really consider using Inkarnate. It's $25/year for Pro, it looks really cool, and the learning curve is super easy. I've been using it as a DM since beta and they keep improving it.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Colonel Whitey posted:

My thinking is that they could do it Dark Souls style, where they build up this fully developed lore behind the scenes but there’s no big exposition dump for any of it, and then as they play they just discover the remnants of the old world as they go. Maybe that’s more tricky than it sounds but the way I imagine it playing out it doesn’t seem any more difficult than anything they’ve already done.

This is how I DM and I've only been doing it for like a year, and it's not that much harder if you like to write and can stay flexible. A year in and my players still only know like 5% of the lore of my world so far because I trickle it out as they find a new place or fight a new enemy. It also gives me a ton of wiggle room because I can change or shift things on the fly depending on where the party goes, since they don't know what goes where yet. I actually feel like what Griffin is doing is harder in some ways, because then he has to stick pretty rigidly to his setup once the full campaign starts. That's a good way to write yourself into a storytelling corner unless you're really meticulous about it. Maybe it works for him though. :shrug:

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Alaois posted:

a fan-made expansion to Portal 2 came out like, a week ago

Is that the one that adds the time portal? I wanted to check that out but I haven't been following it.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

omg chael crash posted:

MBMBAM jumbotrons were whatever but the TAZ ones were especially dire, good lord

HEY DO YOU LIKE THE ADVENTURE ZONE WELL YOU'LL LOVE OUR MUCH WORSE D&D PODCAST

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Between this and Pepcorn, I kinda legit want BDG to have his own nervous energy cooking show.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Armitag3 posted:

Travis can whiff, but when he hits that bad boy, he really knocks it outta the park. My favorite (probably underappreciated) Travis moment is "'ere we call 'im Jeezy Creezy!". Fantastic.
One of my favorites is the CrawDaddy bit.

Travis: "Please don't mail us crawdaddys."
Griffin: "gently caress you, ruin my box with crawdads!"
Travis: "That's my favorite line from Shades of Grey."

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
This is so stupid, but every time I hear the part of the theme song that says "hangs by the skate park, hangs by the beach", my brain keeps wanting to segue it into "whispers at the bus stop" from that Gin Blossoms song.

more falafel please posted:

I was so upset that there was no That's A Christmas To Me in the Candlenights live show.

At least they did That's a Baseball to Me in the donor episode.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I'm totally fine with them doing Quiet Year as a cooldown mini-arc after a big one, the same way they did with Commitment/Dust. This mini-arc just happens to tie into the next season the way the beginning of Amnesty did. It also coincides with Griffin's new baby so it's a nice lighter break for him because he doesn't have to do nearly as much. Babies are hard to take care of for years, not weeks.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
tbh the biggest thing I'm looking forward to with Ethersea is character creation. I kinda hope Justin sticks with Ol' Joshy.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Now only Griffin can still breed. The window on My Cousin, My Cousin and Me is rapidly closing, depending on how many of the 6 next-gen McElroys will want to do podcasts when they're older.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Ok Comboomer posted:

How the Internet Turned on the McElroys?

Idk that seems pretty apt, considering that all the Reddit groups seem to be more about making GBS threads on the brothers these days than actually celebrating their content

To be fair it's WAY closer to How A Small Handful of Very Vocal People Way Too Invested in the Lives of Podcasters Turned on Them.

Like imagine making the McElroys part of your whole identity.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
The funny thing about the headmates bullshit is that it's always like, Sonic the Hedgehog, so there are a bunch of people who magically share a brain with Sonic but those hundreds of weird idiots somehow can't talk to each other through that medium.

Just once I'd like to see a headmates creep claim they share a consciousness with a celebrity, and then see that celebrity reply "no the gently caress you don't".

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

The World Inferno posted:

It's no DePiglio but still delightful <3.

Shmorby will not run at you like a badass.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

SpacePig posted:

All 3 McElroy boys were transformed, both physically and figuratively, after meeting their wives. Justin just got lucky and met his in high school, so he's basically always been in his final form.

I'm especially glad Griffin didn't stay single for longer or get dumped along the way, because he was pretty insufferable when he was single and lonely. Like, borderline incel bitterness in the early episodes.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I knew what was coming in the third post in that thread and I still laughed my rear end off.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Jet Jaguar posted:

Gonna replace all my test account names at work with “Porpo Dorpo” back in a minute

Whenever an app on my phone requires my name for no fathomable purpose, I come up with some random bullshit and then forget about it. Then like 3 months later I'll get a push notification from Vivino saying something like "Smort Bleenf, we have new wine recommendations for you!"

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Think of those drug commercials that are like "Do not use _______ if you are pregnant or may become pregnant".

"if you may become pregnant" has always struck me as kind of funny though, because it's like "hey, if you like to gently caress, don't use this".

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/boring_as_heck/status/1416211270345265152

How can they not do a MF episode of the baseball game that lets you make a moonfaced guy named Dog Dick

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Griffin desperately needs a replacement for the Final Yahoo. His stammering monkeycheese was funny the first time or two, but the 20th time I hear "This question is from... uh.. Dil... Dilfur .. Dilbert... and he asks... did you ever... could you.. can I... what if you fart on your dad", it wears really thin.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

flavor.flv posted:

I would like to thank the brothers for making the fake final yahoos unlistenable garbage so I no longer feel any need to sit thorough the promotional stuff at the end of the episodes

Even Justin was getting annoyed this week at how long it took him.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Waterbed Wendy posted:

Hey same goes for you. You could have groomed like 10 16 year olds.

I groomed several 8 to 14 year olds but only for about a week and then I decided Pet Center wasn't the right job for me. I have allergies.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I'm quite behind on all their podcasting stuff, but this week's Monster Factory felt like they never left, and Trial by Fieri has been a lot of fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I'm listening to last week's MBMBaM, and that WikiHow Furby article is loving wild, but it makes me wonder: The McElroys HAVE to be aware of the Oddbody Furby community by now, right?