Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
I still think mbmbam is pretty solid week to week, monster factory has been hit or miss lately though which is frustrating because it used to be my favorite thing of theirs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Yeah that poster is weirdly obsessed with Travis, they came into that thread just to poo poo on him and McElroy fans broadly. Everybody in here agrees that what Travis did was dumb and bad, but they just keep harping on it to an audience of no one.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Nice to see Joel actually getting them work. Was wondering what that guy does all day

E: that’s a stacked fuckin cast, plus it’s a Lord and Miller joint. Good for Griffin.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

On the topic of good mbmbam bits, I really liked Minion Quotes.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

They're streaming fmv quest on twitch right now

e: nvm just ended

Colonel Whitey fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Mar 25, 2021

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Good probe, and funny imo

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

https://twitter.com/justinmcelroy/status/1375802858495475721?s=21

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Incredible how many people want to die on the hill of being allowed to say “s*yface”

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

That article was pretty frustrating to read, it really made it seem like "no bummers" is some sort of policy the McElroys have imposed that means "do not bring up uncomfortable issues with us, ever" rather than a policy that applies to goofballs getting up at live shows and asking questions. It should have been made more clear that this is a problem of the fandom and not something the brothers have imposed on anyone, or done a better job making the argument that the McElroys have fostered that within the fandom, if that was the point. There are no examples brought up in the article where someone tried to bring up an issue and was shut down, and it is really stretching to try to tie Travis' recent social media problems in with the larger McElroy brand. I'm really trying not to be a kneejerk defender of people I don't know, but it seemed to me kind of like the article was trying to manufacture a bit of controversy for clicks.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

IIRC it was Griffin who named Chalupa

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Yeah it felt like their first attempt at *representation* and it was pretty ham fisted but it seemed like the fans (inc trans fans afaik) still responded well to it. Seems like Travis has taken the wrong lessons from that for Graduation, the stuff about the disabled character from the Vice article sounds cringe as hell.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Fair enough, thanks for sharing your take on it.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Looks like it's Justin's turn (see tweet thread)

https://twitter.com/JustinMcElroy/status/1376951573499285508?s=20

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

AndrewP posted:

Maybe collaborate with a seasoned pro or something.

I've been saying they should do this forever, it would take so much pressure off them.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Karen Han is currently annoying me because she’s stumping hard for Gore Verbinski to win the Blank Check March madness bracket and I don’t want him to win

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Yeah Carpenter would be fun and there are a bunch of films of his I haven’t seen. WKW would have been my preferred choice because he’s a bigger blind spot for me. I guess if Gore wins it would probably get BDG on the podcast, so that would be a silver lining.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Lol pathetic. Reddit is truly the worst.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Hustle Hound posted:

day 3 of griffin's paternity leave and this thread is already eating itself alive, nice

Where have you been the last couple weeks

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

I'm ok with turning this into the unofficial temporary Blank Check thread since it's tangentially related to BDG by less than three degrees of separation

Basically just wanted a place to post this masterstroke in the Carpenter v Verbinski war

https://twitter.com/zona_moribunda/status/1377295586991476736?s=20

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Srice posted:

The biggest twist of this tournament was learning that Altman was indirectly responsible for Griffin Newman existing.

Lol, I think I missed that. I knew his dad and Altman were drinking buddies, but did Altman introduce him to Griffin's mom or something?

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

That's wild, I hope they do Altman soon anyway

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Thank you for posting this, it was a breath of fresh air inside this fart filled thread

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

I bet at least half the submissions are obvious stdh.txt monkeycheese nonsense

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Srice posted:

My live show proposal is that when it is safe to do live shows again they should get Jon Gabrus as a special guest, so that he can bully all the bad question-askers.

Wow, if they really want to alienate the “no bummers” contingent, that would certainly be a way to do it

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

They seriously have to cut it out with the one on ones, I tune out every single time during them and they just stop the entire show in its tracks

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

They’re kind of a fried ravioli, so....yeah?

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Tears In A Vial posted:

wow, that list of patrons at the end are just the ones supporting at the £8 a month level. BDG is doing pretty good out of patreon.

I was going to post something about Brian angling to get a job making digital shorts for snl but drat, I bet that patreon money is way better. Plus his vibe doesn’t seem like it would gel with that show anyway.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Yeah snl feels like an older millennial/gen x thing at this point. They do still hire young talent and get them famous though, so I’m sure it’s still a desirable enough place to kickstart a career. Not really sure if any of the current cast is popping in a broad sense though...maybe it feels like Bowen Yang is having a bit of a moment.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

I guess it depends what you want to do. If you want to make your living off podcasting and youtube videos then you don’t need the traditional avenues and that seems plenty lucrative, at least right now. If you want to be in movies and tv it seems like you still have to subject yourself to the usual routes.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

People focus a lot on snl’s topical humor but that’s never been its best material, the funny parts of the show are the weird sketches and characters they come up with that have nothing to do with the news. It doesn’t help that they keep doing these dumb, unfunny cold opens that are always the worst part of the show and give the entire show a bad rep.

Granted, the sketches they’ve been doing the last 5 or so years haven’t been very funny either.

E:^sure, but a career in entertainment is a crapshoot regardless. All things being equal and starting from scratch, I’m not sure you’re any more likely to be successful either way.

Colonel Whitey fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Apr 13, 2021

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

That’s actually a good idea though

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Pretty sure all of snl is free on peacock, you just have to wait a few days to watch the newest episode

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

So, was David Mitchell also in the interview, and if so did he just sit there silently while that whole discussion occurred?

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Inkspot posted:

Clint is on Blank Check discussing Ishtar and it is everything I wanted it to be.

Hell yes

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

I know it shouldn't come as a surprise because they've been doing this for a while now, but it's always impressive to me when someone can go on the news and not be awkward and make an entertaining segment and interaction with the anchors seem effortless.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Yahoo answers was his bit, and it was the most successful one the show has had

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

some plague rats posted:

PETA is a CIA front designed to turn people against the idea of animals rights

I don’t make a habit of going in for conspiracy theories but this is one I could believe

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Hollis’ identity must have been done in an organic, subtle way because I remember literally nothing about that character

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

I have a sudden craving for shrimp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

That has to be Justin's character right?