Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you Serra Angel?
Yes, I am definitely Serra Angel. I can post here.
No, I am not Serra Angel. I can still post here, unfortunately.
View Results

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
I'm guessing white deck is probably the closest to Captain America. I'm in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

this game runs like absolute dogshit lol. people on the ingame chat were saying they had way beefier graphics cards than me and it was running bad for them too

it seems like the game might actually be fun! but every time the game does a fancy graphical effect (i.e. any time that anything does an attack) it sends the graphics to sputtering and tearing on me

Squee
Jun 15, 2003
<3
I have a not very good pc, and the game runs fine for me, tho its still not a good game or anything. Running through multiple screens of no mobs seems like a weird choice.
I'll give it a bit more time but so far I am not optimistic.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

I got a free "page bundle" from levelling. It gave me 4 levels' worth of Water Elemental.

I'm running a black/white deck. Water Elemental is the only blue card I even own.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.
When i play this game i close my eyes and pretend its diablo and im much happier..

FreeWifi!! fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Mar 24, 2021

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
"Game runs worse on better computers" makes it a true successor to marvel heroes's "game runs worse on lower settings."

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

In the alpha you got login rewards that included lots of pages every day. Without those rewards the progress is an insane grind. The live version is clearly designed to heavily entice you to spend money on packs just to get enough pages to level up spells. I'm level 15 and have only found enough pages to level one single ability. Game was bad in alpha and somehow worse now. I'll go back to playing Lost Ark where at least there is a good game underneath all the fetch quests and clicking through dialog.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Lutha Mahtin posted:

this game runs like absolute dogshit lol. people on the ingame chat were saying they had way beefier graphics cards than me and it was running bad for them too

it seems like the game might actually be fun! but every time the game does a fancy graphical effect (i.e. any time that anything does an attack) it sends the graphics to sputtering and tearing on me

whenever you test betas, you never expect performance.

like ever.

remember the diablo 2 open beta and the engine it was running on was a slide show. like you counted the frames until impact... oops dead.

it's even worse today since players are constantly begging for [Jim] TRIPLE A[/Jim] graphics but forget the whole point of the open beta is to put the server through it's paces.

if you never worked with shaders, you really can't say anything. profiling that stuff is like pulling teeth.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Frustrated posted:

In the alpha you got login rewards that included lots of pages every day. Without those rewards the progress is an insane grind. The live version is clearly designed to heavily entice you to spend money on packs just to get enough pages to level up spells. I'm level 15 and have only found enough pages to level one single ability.

Is it still like 100 pages to level a spell to level 2? poo poo would need to rain down from on high just to make second difficulty missions viable.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
They can call it a beta, but they are charging money already and no data is being wiped so it's no different than being fully released. It's the same as any early access game, when you start charging money for your product people are going to judge it based on what they can see.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

It's odd, because usually F2P/P2W games shower you with items and power-ups and free bonuses at the start to get you invested, show off what the game is capable of, get you into the story and wanting to see what happens next, and don't let you hit the paywallish parts until after you've played for a day or two and gotten into it and want to keep having fun.

Magic Legends, so far, has skipped that step completely, and seems to expect you'll pay money right off the bat. It's an... interesting strategy, alright.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Toph Bei Fong posted:

It's odd, because usually F2P/P2W games shower you with items and power-ups and free bonuses at the start to get you invested, show off what the game is capable of, get you into the story and wanting to see what happens next, and don't let you hit the paywallish parts until after you've played for a day or two and gotten into it and want to keep having fun.

Magic Legends, so far, has skipped that step completely, and seems to expect you'll pay money right off the bat. It's an... interesting strategy, alright.

Cryptic doesn't really do much in the way of free bonuses. They were an early pioneer of the F2P concept, including lootboxes years before they became what they are today, and only managed to get entrenched userbases of whales because they licensed the right IPs, so they haven't really changed their business model. They only really give out things on the rare occasion they do events and on holidays but that's about it and you still have to grind for those most of the time. Cryptic's a dinosaur and if their licenses weren't such a huge draw they'd have shuttered years ago.

From the sound of things, neither Magic fans nor dedicated ARPG players looking for an alternative to PoX and Diablo will be getting much out of this.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

So there's a bug with planar mana where you don't get like 99% of what you are supposed to from quests. You can fix this by going to guide and redoing the "surface tensions" mission. I really hope they somehow give us a backlog of all the mana we missed because it makes the upgrades at base a huge pain.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

socialsecurity posted:

So there's a bug with planar mana where you don't get like 99% of what you are supposed to from quests. You can fix this by going to guide and redoing the "surface tensions" mission. I really hope they somehow give us a backlog of all the mana we missed because it makes the upgrades at base a huge pain.

uh, how much should one be getting

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Hauki posted:

uh, how much should one be getting

I was at 100/0/0/0/0 at level 14. In like a hour after fixing it I was up to like mid 100s in all categories. They should be dropping all over the place.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
The time I realized open betas are just launches that get less critical scrutiny is probably when I started playing Hearthstone during open beta and when it officially launched I didn't actually notice for about another month. Coincidentally also a game with a beta cash shop and no reset at official launch, so this trend checks out.

So we've collectively had at least 7 years to learn this by now

I wish this game looked good, but, it looks, bad,?!

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
It looks bad, it plays bad, it performs bad, it has a bad monetisation model. The gall of them to push these microtransactions when the game is in this state is pretty drat brazen.

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth

socialsecurity posted:

lmao :shepicide:

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Also, seeing as the game is released, available for all, and taking customer's money, why are there no servers outside the US? It's like they're deliberately trying to give the worst first impression possible and it's loving bizarre.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

socialsecurity posted:

Weird, it started dropping for me after I upgraded part of my sanctum.

If the performance wasn't total dogshit I'd be having an OKAY time with the game.

E: Yeah, not saying you didn't encounter a bug but it happened once I opened the "arcane workshop" in the meditation realm.

Jedit posted:

Is it still like 100 pages to level a spell to level 2? poo poo would need to rain down from on high just to make second difficulty missions viable.

Once you start upgrading your lands in the meditation realm it becomes a lot cheaper. 75% reduction in page requirements from rank 1 to rank 2. Further, similar upgrades seem to be possible.

WarEternal fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Mar 24, 2021

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Friend at work who got me to try this is telling me that it gets drastically better after you get past the first forest area because "the loot drops and enemies per area does improve dramatically after that area". Also that I just don't get the card draw mechanic because they're not going for a cookie cutter Diablo style game, maaan.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
This is complete garbage. You don't even really get to design your character anymore, Cryptic used to be all about the sliders and options but this is barely a step up from random bitch ARPG with gender locked classes. Also the randomness of skills that's still there is really loving bad. Doesn't help this looks really bad for how it looks.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

lmao what on earth is going on over there - they seem to be just straight up pretending they have EU servers when they're all located in the US

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
This is looking to be a terrible game. It's giving me those Pagan Absent Gods vibes right now.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
This game reminds me a lot of Artifact.

Both games seemed to feel that using the original IP setting, characters and spells, isn't enough and that it was more important to go the extra mile in capturing the spirit of the original game, and in doing so, ruined the games they were trying to make. There are a whole lot of questionable design decisions, but even if they nailed everything else - an ARPG with a randomly rotating set of skills is always going to fail. I get that they are not aiming for PoE-level frenetic gameplay, but it just won't work.

They needed to decide on doing an MMORPG/ARPG and dump the deck building/drawing skills, or commit to the deck building aspect and make a turn-based game.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
The real problem is that it's bland as heck and the combat sucks. Which is the death knell for an ARPG.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

TyrantWD posted:

This game reminds me a lot of Artifact.

Both games seemed to feel that using the original IP setting, characters and spells, isn't enough and that it was more important to go the extra mile in capturing the spirit of the original game, and in doing so, ruined the games they were trying to make. There are a whole lot of questionable design decisions, but even if they nailed everything else - an ARPG with a randomly rotating set of skills is always going to fail. I get that they are not aiming for PoE-level frenetic gameplay, but it just won't work.

They needed to decide on doing an MMORPG/ARPG and dump the deck building/drawing skills, or commit to the deck building aspect and make a turn-based game.

Real-time deck-based stuff can work, there was a game that came out a while ago called Ratropolis that's a real-time deck-based tower defense/city builder that handles the card draw mechanics really well.

Everything is real-time and cards have costs to play (usually just gold), every 20 seconds you can redraw your hand for free, or you can pay gold to redraw it early.

Because of time-restricted redraws you still have time to look through, organize and think about your plays. It feels like an actual card game because you're drawing and discarding entire hands, and it maintains real-time pacing forcing quick decision making.

That's exactly how this game should have worked IMO but I don't know how you'd mix it in with ARPG clicky movement

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Bardeh posted:

lmao what on earth is going on over there - they seem to be just straight up pretending they have EU servers when they're all located in the US

if it's any consolation, let me assure you the lag & rubberbanding is just as bad playing on the US servers from the US over a gigabit fiber connection

I routinely have a higher delay than that

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
Huh, I was definitely affected by the planar mana bug. I had like nothing except for 50 black mana at the end of the first night of play, then yesterday I was suddenly finding it everywhere after revisiting a story quest for a card and wondering what the hell changed.

I mentioned it in the discord but I'll repeat my final impression here, because I doubt I'm gonna play much more:

There is a tiny kernel of fun here, surrounded by lovely technical jank, design jank, and zero polish. It really does remind me of Marvel Heroes.

I actually have not had any issues with the random nature of the ability deck in terms of keeping track of what my buttons will do when I press them-- instead the problem I've had is that seriously 75% of my deck is chaff that I don't want to cast, and I feel like I have to waste the mana just to cycle it away for a relevant card. In a game with good design, like MTG, there should be TOO MANY good choices and you have to make hard decisions about what fits into your loadout because everything seems cool. In a game with lovely design, like this one, you are overwhelmed with bad choices and are forced to include the least bad tools in order to fill out a mandatory minimum.

In this case, basically every card that doesn't cause half your screen to explode for lethal damage is a bad ability, because all the others do essentially nothing. Creatures feel broken in a bad way due to awful AI and the pointlessness of drawing a creature you already have summoned, enchants/buffs have no discernible impact on anything.

If these core systems were fun and tight then it might be enough to salvage the game, but they're not, and unfortunately all of the structure that exists around them is also poo poo. The big Destiny-style common zones that are sprawling, obnoxious to navigate and covered with little skirmish and wave defense events, but still somehow completely empty. The story quests are an absolute write-off both in terms of narrative and mission structure. The matchmade defense missions that have atrocious pacing and completely inscrutable rules/layout. The "hidden portal" that takes you to the same 2 minute dungeon corridor over and over again. So far as I can tell these are literally the entirety of the game's content at the moment.

I really like Magic and I really like ARPGs and I have even had a little bit of fun with Cryptic's previous lovely game Neverwinter. I wanted to like this game but there is just zero blood coming out of the stone.

Scoss fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Mar 24, 2021

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Scoss posted:

In this case, basically every card that doesn't cause half your screen to explode for lethal damage is a bad ability, because all the others do essentially nothing. Creatures feel broken in a bad way due to awful AI and the pointlessness of drawing a creature you already have summoned, enchants/buffs have no discernible impact on anything.

Starting as Geomancer has been pretty fun, because the starter deck they give you only has 3 creatures, the rest are "blow up literally everything" skills.

The one funny thing I found is that the deck implies the existence of a DoT archetype: you get two spells that have "Critical: This spell deals an extra 100% damage if the target is suffering from a DoT effect", but the damage is laughably bad if you don't hit critical (i.e. a spell that costs like 6 mana deals as much damage as some of my 3 mana spells if you don't hit critical) and you get a grand total of 1 DoT spell in the deck. So really, you might as well chuck those critical spells out the second you can replace them with something better.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Gave this game about 2 hours today as a Necromancer. Nothing really redeemable here. The combat is lack luster, and if you get into a mission with multiple people good luck being able to even see wtf you're targeting.

I kinda like the way the skills/spells work, but like others have mentioned there's a lot of chafe in your deck. Necro summons are your typical zombies and skeletons.

Overall this game feels a LOT like Pagan Absent Gods, and that's not a good thing. There's a ton of running around nearly empty maps and the maps are quite linear.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Why is this stickied anyway?

Mr. Maggy
Aug 17, 2014
i played it long enough to unlock the chat function

i then uninstalled it

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

Stanley Pain posted:

There's a ton of running around nearly empty maps and the maps are quite linear.

There is a timed instance story mission in Shiva where you have to kill certain types of enemies in order on a relatively big map. You spend 80% of your time wandering around an empty zone looking for something to randomly spawn. It's really poorly designed. They must have the worst engine because arpgs should just be filled to the brim with dudes to kill and wandering around empty zones and instances is so bizarre.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Stanley Pain posted:

it's funny because it's somehow really bad even for what you'd expect when you hear 'bad MtG diablo clone'

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

EVIL Gibson posted:

whenever you test betas, you never expect performance.

like ever.

remember the diablo 2 open beta and the engine it was running on was a slide show. like you counted the frames until impact... oops dead.

it's even worse today since players are constantly begging for [Jim] TRIPLE A[/Jim] graphics but forget the whole point of the open beta is to put the server through it's paces.

if you never worked with shaders, you really can't say anything. profiling that stuff is like pulling teeth.

So ignoring that them calling this "open beta" and not "soft launch" being completely disingenious, the problem with their performance is twofold. One, Cryptic's engine runs like crap and you can ask any STO or Neverwinter player about this. Neverwinter is a tad better, but STO has some weird issues because I can only imagine how messy it is. I know they backported engine changes at least once and if i recall correctly, it was a clusterfuck. Two, the game runs like crap because of shadows and that's pretty clear if you type "/shadows 0" in the chat box.

There's a reason for this: they wanted the game to have dynamic environments using 3d tiles. Well, one reason that games don't have dynamic maps is because baking lighting is a slow process so you can't quite do it real time. It's something that will theoretically fix with raytracing but honestly even the nvidia 3xxx line isn't there for performance. If you do the aforementioned shadows 0 in chat, you'll notice the map is basically fullbright. This makes sense. They want dynamic maps, so someone just said "oh we'll make all our shadows run in real time with no settings to modify it". It doesn't seem like it's a stencil shadow (it's too soft) so I honestly have no idea what kind of shadowing they are using, but it runs like poo poo. Can that fix that? Time will tell, but I'd bet more on them making a shadow quality slider.

There's also general issues from the fact that they repurposed their mmo engine for an arpg, like LODs applying based on your distance to an object which really makes no sense in a top down game, but whatever.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Stanley Pain posted:

So we can all suffer together.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Kaysette posted:

So we can all suffer together.

Right here.

Cryptic does it again!

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
here I go again trying to chase the Marvel Heroes high

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

ICR posted:

Right here.

Cryptic does it again!

I thought I was used to Cryptic's scumbaggery and poor design, I've played STO and Champions for ages (I'm an STO lifer, gently caress me right???) but this is impressing even me!