Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you Serra Angel?
Yes, I am definitely Serra Angel. I can post here.
No, I am not Serra Angel. I can still post here, unfortunately.
View Results

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

sexpig by night posted:

I thought I was used to Cryptic's scumbaggery and poor design, I've played STO and Champions for ages (I'm an STO lifer, gently caress me right???) but this is impressing even me!

It’s a real bummer, honestly. Tons of potential with this.

It scratches some of my itches but I can’t give it a super ringing endorsement. I don’t want to scare anybody from a game because I just have my horrible opinions, but I will say this:

I hope Cryptic goes back to the drawing board and makes a ton of changes. A ton.

I haven’t seen a subreddit, for instance, with this much negative feedback since Fallout 76. It’s unanimously getting panned right now. These are those super fans too who are ripping this to shreds.

I’ll keep playing this as the genre and style of game has my attention but my wallet is staying closed for good.

Last Epoch remains THE TRUTH in the future of an ARPG genre of this type although yea, I realize this is an MMORPG by developer classification.

I’m going to be paying close attention to see how Cryptic moves forward with this and addresses the very justified criticism they’re getting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Kaysette posted:

So we can all suffer together.

I knew I should've ran away when I read Cryptic....

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
When are we getting the 1000 additional in game currencies?

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Cutedge posted:

So ignoring that them calling this "open beta" and not "soft launch" being completely disingenious, the problem with their performance is twofold.

Okay, you don't have to say anymore. You won. I've just learned, from you, that Cryptic is using this broken rear end poo poo release as a launch. gently caress that. They deserve all the raised "really" eyebrows.

quote:

There's a reason for this: they wanted the game to have dynamic environments using 3d tiles. Well, one reason that games don't have dynamic maps is because baking lighting is a slow process so you can't quite do it real time.
[...]

If you do the aforementioned shadows 0 in chat, you'll notice the map is basically fullbright. This makes sense. They want dynamic maps, so someone just said "oh we'll make all our shadows run in real time with no settings to modify it". It doesn't seem like it's a stencil shadow (it's too soft) so I honestly have no idea what kind of shadowing they are using, but it runs like poo poo. Can that fix that? Time will tell, but I'd bet more on them making a shadow quality slider.

Path of Exile has a lot of tiled textures and they exploit a lot of tricks to get things working like global illumination being of a cheap sampling trick to allow tiling and 3d models. PoE also does not have to deal with open spaces which means it does not have to figure out how lightning needs to be rendered too far. The developers also expect some rear end in a top hat player is going to make a spell that shoots out 100+ effects every 30ms because of how you can build your own spells in the game and buff it with lots unique items so they don't implement things that can be easily abused.

Here's a long presentation where they go more into GI and a lot of other effects that cheat for great results. The time stamp is where he demonstrates create calculated flowing water shaders done on the CPU and only uses spare CPU time to do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whyJzrVEgVc&t=1952s

Also gives you proof to what you properly claim as baking everything is something time consuming and why I brought up shader debugging is hell.

quote:

It's something that will theoretically fix with raytracing but honestly even the nvidia 3xxx line isn't there for performance.

Would not expect raytracing to become a thing unless the chip supply become non-hosed,virtual currency to crash, or current cards becoming cheaper when card are two generations ahead (or not after hearing some 1080 cards selling on ebay for just about the same price as a 3080)

quote:

There's also general issues from the fact that they repurposed their mmo engine for an arpg, like LODs applying based on your distance to an object which really makes no sense in a top down game, but whatever.

Is it kind of funny that Fallout 76 is the exactly opposite of this?

In legends, there is a key to bind to tilt your view down which makes Zendikar look awesome (Zendikar anything is awesome. My favorite thematic expansion. Urza's is good expansion, but just for the busted rear end cards)

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
I knew the game was doomed when ICR couldn't even bring himself to encourage goons to whale out on prerelease packs.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

EVIL Gibson posted:

Okay, you don't have to say anymore. You won. I've just learned, from you, that Cryptic is using this broken rear end poo poo release as a launch. gently caress that. They deserve all the raised "really" eyebrows.

Path of Exile has a lot of tiled textures and they exploit a lot of tricks to get things working like global illumination being of a cheap sampling trick to allow tiling and 3d models.

Yeah but PoE's performance is also legandarily poor. Not in the Crysis way but in the 'well your new system rolled the bad hardware dice so you get 11 fps while your old laptop from 2015 manages 25, tough poo poo, maybe it'll swap in the next patch when we gently caress around with poo poo and a different group of players get performance tanking instead'. I've played since 2016 and my performance experiences have basically looked like a sine wave since then. I can remember many an effortpost made in the PoE thread about the inefficient, ambitious or just downright baffling decisions made for various graphics engine decisions.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Insurrectionist posted:

Yeah but PoE's performance is also legandarily poor. Not in the Crysis way but in the 'well your new system rolled the bad hardware dice so you get 11 fps while your old laptop from 2015 manages 25, tough poo poo, maybe it'll swap in the next patch when we gently caress around with poo poo and a different group of players get performance tanking instead'. I've played since 2016 and my performance experiences have basically looked like a sine wave since then. I can remember many an effortpost made in the PoE thread about the inefficient, ambitious or just downright baffling decisions made for various graphics engine decisions.

Oh I am not saying PoE has good performance at all. My 3090 somehow cannot support 3440 ultrawide screen when doing certain content like Delirium (makes everything smoky.)

I am just pointing out they do good effects .

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Rufio posted:

I knew the game was doomed when ICR couldn't even bring himself to encourage goons to whale out on prerelease packs.

Isn’t it usually the other way around, where ICR hypes only the most doomed of games?

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Squee posted:

I have a not very good pc, and the game runs fine for me, tho its still not a good game or anything. Running through multiple screens of no mobs seems like a weird choice.
I'll give it a bit more time but so far I am not optimistic.

Game runs like rear end on my ancient GTX 960.

Besides that, the character models look weird (a Cryptic staple) and the first NPC they have yammering at you is obnoxious at best (another Cryptic staple). I only played through the first tutorial section and didn't feel like continuing when I hit the next area and was immediately greeted by another NPC who had to open doors for me to progress just like the first area.

I played Necro and the skill effects were cool. I feel like the ability card system is just going to be annoyingly inconsistent for an action RPG though. I also noticed a loading screen tip talking about some kind of currency conversion bullshit which I know Cryptic does in Neverwinter.

I didn't give it that much play time but that's because I had no patience for what I was playing.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Random skills in an ARPG is one of the most hilariously stupid design choices I've ever seen.

Hope I draw my heal card soon! I spent more time looking at the bar in the opening 30 minutes trying to figure out what I had available than the enemy health bars at the top. As someone else said, filling downtime between cards with your lovely little basic abilities feels bad.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Random skills in an ARPG is one of the most hilariously stupid design choices I've ever seen.

Hope I draw my heal card soon! I spent more time looking at the bar in the opening 30 minutes trying to figure out what I had available than the enemy health bars at the top. As someone else said, filling downtime between cards with your lovely little basic abilities feels bad.

I guess that's why they made all the damage spells deal enough damage to clear everything.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

I'm like half way to a decent-feeling zombie deck, which is nice so far, and I like all the various AoE fields that I can get access to.

What I dislike is, this is it? For the game? You get through 3 "chapters" that take an hour or two per zone, and then you're locked to waiting for 1/day daily quests (some of which suck real bad like 'replay a story mission and summon 10 creatures costing >5 mana in it'). Nothing else gives you zone rep.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

EVIL Gibson posted:

I probably should have elaborated but I felt like other people were already talking about all that. If you really want to get into it, with Cryptic it all comes down to the fact that they did this already with Neverwinter. The game had an "open beta", and then after a time they just called it released but there really wasn't a lot of feedback or player input going on there. It was just an unfinished game that they made available and put a live store on. If you put a game up and open it up for everyone to play and open up your cash shop with your finalized prices (their prices may have gone down based on feedback, for what it's worth. i simply don't remember), then personally I think it's kind of disingenuous to hide behind the "beta" label. If it was really beta, it wouldn't have a live cash shop.

Guess I should have prefaced that as my $0.02 :)

This game actually isn't the worst game I've ever played. I feel like I'm a sucker for these second rate MMOs though. I mean I'm currently going through LOTRO again and if we want to talk a game with a ridiculous cash shop...

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Game does not seem as P2W as I first reckoned. Near as I can tell the cash shop is mostly accelerated XP and such, and boosters for a class that doesn’t offer anything meaningfully different than the base classes. Meanwhile spells seem to be almost entirely acquired through the Mystic Study and random drops? The spell acquisition loop is very strange. I’m unsure if you can even farm specific things right now but nor can you spend money on them.

And spells are by far the most important part right now. Especially once you move onto Hard difficulty and things can meaningfully threaten you now.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

This sounds like worse launch version of diablo 3. lovely auction house, super grindy, bad gameplay loop once you finish the main story

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Is the auction house really an auction, or am I just playing a color no one's selling right now (black)? Other than the one Enchantment I've got, nothing I own has any pages for sale yet.

Might be related to the fact that the market price I can sell things for is just absolute dogshit.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
IF I REPORT SOMETHING, BAN ME.
Do you like Magic: The Gathering? Do you like any of: Grim Dawn, Diablo 2, Path of Exile, Titan Quest, Torchlight? If so, you should avoid this game!

Do you like Diablo immortal? Yes?? This is the perfect game for you!

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Diablo Immortal actually looks kinda good though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6P-qz6Eb94
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2fpqixBZWA

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Mar 25, 2021

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

Is the auction house really an auction, or am I just playing a color no one's selling right now (black)? Other than the one Enchantment I've got, nothing I own has any pages for sale yet.

Might be related to the fact that the market price I can sell things for is just absolute dogshit.

I sold like 30k worth of spell pages for black cards I don’t really plan on playing anymore last night. I saw some stuff in stock when I did, but just a few pages here & there for the most part. I imagine it’s just a case of more demand than supply right now. I have no idea how they’re setting pricing initially, but I mostly dumped the inexplicably expensive common pages.

Weirdly, the first few hours of the game are probably the worst by far - it opens up more once you get enough cards & items to have actual choices & it’s possible to make interesting decks/builds, but eventually you’ll run into the sudden lack of any kind of endgame beyond turning up the difficulty and grinding overworld skirmishes or dungeons. The whole thing is also buggy enough and cynically predatory with regard to the store that I can’t blame anyone for not giving it more of a chance. I, uh, hope they dramatically improve the experience but I’m not holding my breath.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Lorem ipsum posted:

Do you like Diablo immortal? Yes?? This is the perfect game for you!

Bardeh posted:

Diablo Immortal actually looks kinda good though

Yeah Diablo Immortal is increasingly looking like it's not actually poo poo, considering it's a mobile ARPG where the other options are varying levels of dire.

If you want a good PC ARPG in the days to come though Last Epoch and Chronicon exist and who knows, maybe for once when a KMMO gets brought to other markets Lost Ark won't be a complete shitshow of monetization.

Mokhu
Mar 3, 2004

NCAA Hopesman Winner 2008
Fallen Rib
I reached a new low when I donated $3 to a petition site to get Marvel Heroes reinstated this week, and lo and behold ICR makes a post related to Marvel Heroes. Good enough for now, I'm in on this.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Heck even Wolcen is about 100x better than this.

Mokhu
Mar 3, 2004

NCAA Hopesman Winner 2008
Fallen Rib
Alright, I played it for 10 minutes and it's not nearly as bad as people are making it out to be. It's obvious still in dev given the loading times and some lag during some of the spells... but apart from that, the art style/direction imo is pretty good, and it's got an arcade-y fun to it.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Mokhu posted:

Alright, I played it for 10 minutes and it's not nearly as bad as people are making it out to be. It's obvious still in dev given the loading times and some lag during some of the spells... but apart from that, the art style/direction imo is pretty good, and it's got an arcade-y fun to it.

Except it's not. Even if the "it's in beta" thing didn't stop being a viable defense years ago, they're taking money and not wiping progress ever. It may still have people developing things other than new content for it but this poo poo is a whole, real game right now.

And it's very bad.

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
Is there an ultimate pack I can buy for $200?

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Rufio posted:

Is there an ultimate pack I can buy for $200?

Of course there is :)

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Orv posted:

Except it's not. Even if the "it's in beta" thing didn't stop being a viable defense years ago, they're taking money and not wiping progress ever. It may still have people developing things other than new content for it but this poo poo is a whole, real game right now.

And it's very bad.

hope u can get a refund

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Mokhu posted:

What game magazine/website do you write reviews for?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

for what it's worth:

https://www.playmagiclegends.com/en/news-article/11486153

cliff notes:
performance is better/more stuff in the works
assassin class added to battlepass for both free & premium players
improving tutorial/early game progression
doubling new spell drops
removing player collision

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015

quote:

assassin class added to battlepass for both free & premium players at end of track at level 50

I had 9 hours logged and I don't think my battlepass hit level 2.

Scoss fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Mar 27, 2021

Orv
May 4, 2011

LordSaturn posted:

hope u can get a refund

God I'm an idiot for sure but not quite that bad.

Pope Urbane II
Nov 25, 2012
The grind doesn't seem to be as bad as initially thought. Apparently drop quality and upgrade requirements are heavily reliant on the player housing upgrades, but they don't really spell that out anywhere.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Hauki posted:

for what it's worth:

removing player collision

Oh, good. Now maybe they can fix the problem where players standing on the waypoints can make them impossible to use from the map.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Jedit posted:

Oh, good. Now maybe they can fix the problem where players standing on the waypoints can make them impossible to use from the map.

This is the stupidest issue they have out of this whole mountain of garbage. Why do I can about where people that aren’t in my group are?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

I haven’t actually run into that one yet, but I swore something like that was in the patch notes the other day. Is it still happening?

Pope Urbane II
Nov 25, 2012
Is this game just dead in the water? I barely see anyone outside of Sanctum and queues for instances are a joke.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

there's a surprising number of people running around overworld on master one-shotting things with greenwarden abuse and i imagine as many more grinding solo dungeons with it, but i have no idea what the actual player counts are like

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Pope Urbane II posted:

Is this game just dead in the water? I barely see anyone outside of Sanctum and queues for instances are a joke.

Games a buggy mess, with lots of broken poo poo. They already had to patch out the ability to just Tornado mythic bosses into lava and win in 15 seconds. How many other broken things are there? Who knows I stopped playing a while ago because it was somehow more boring than just playing World of Warships for a couple of hours :/

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

This game got me to try Last Epoch, so it can't all be bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Is there a thread for Last Epoch? Discussion about it is spread all over the place and I have some questions about the game.