Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you Serra Angel?
Yes, I am definitely Serra Angel. I can post here.
No, I am not Serra Angel. I can still post here, unfortunately.
View Results

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

MH Knights posted:

Is there a thread for Last Epoch? Discussion about it is spread all over the place and I have some questions about the game.

googled "somethingawful last epoch"

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3888475

You cannot escape the ICR threads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Last Epoch is rock solid and doing Early Access correctly. So far this game has shown no signs of the devs just up and abandoning it like so many Early Access games.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
It still has a long way to go though. While I like the class setup and stuff the combat feels very lack luster and non-impactful. I've recently gone back to playing Wolcen of all things. Kinda always enjoyed the combat in that game and it scratches that itch for me.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Not sure if the game desires a sticky still, it's a trainwreck, but not really a funny trainwreck.

Bahanahab
Apr 13, 2006
One of my biggest hurdles to enjoying this game, for me, is enchantments only lasting 30 seconds. My brain just did a complete stop on how something that is a permanent in the card game is only 30 seconds in this steaming pile.

Out of everything else that should make me just walk away from this game, the enchantment duration is what's actually doing it.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

What did it for me was the daily quests. Specifically, getting ones that I can't actually do ("complete a story mission while summoning 10 creatures that cost more than 5 mana"; the most expensive creatures I have all cap out at 5), and realizing that I'd have to do 2 weeks of them in one zone to start getting what I want out of it, with nothing that looks fun in the meantime.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

What did it for me was the daily quests. Specifically, getting ones that I can't actually do ("complete a story mission while summoning 10 creatures that cost more than 5 mana"; the most expensive creatures I have all cap out at 5), and realizing that I'd have to do 2 weeks of them in one zone to start getting what I want out of it, with nothing that looks fun in the meantime.

Doing skirmishes on expert and master difficulty gives daily exp for that region with no limit on how much you can earn, so you can greatly speed up the daily quest progress.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Mar 30, 2021

Pope Urbane II
Nov 25, 2012

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Doing skirmishes on expert and master difficulty gives daily exp for that region with no limit on how much you can earn, so you can greatly speed up the daily quest progress.

This game is significantly less poo poo on higher difficulties. It's still poo poo, but it has a firm consistency and comes out clean rather than the 90-degree diarrhea spray of the early game.

I'd actually buy the battle pass if I thought this game would be around in a year.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Like 75% of the game is utter crap and the last 25% (end game) isn't complete poo poo..

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://www.playmagiclegends.com/en/news-article/11486433

quote:

Tomorrow’s Build:
With tomorrow’s push we have a variety of great technical fixes and additional quality of life improvements for the game. In addition to these, the Dimir Assassin will now appear as the level 50 reward in both tracks of the Battlepass (alongside continued availability in the Booster Pack) and we’re officially doubling the spell drop rate from enemies throughout overworlds, ordeals, and missions. We’ll be delivering more fixes every week based on community feedback to continue to refine the game.

Performance:
This past Monday, we delivered a build that solved one of the larger known navmesh issues, and another that revolved around the Nemesis Mask’s triggered effects resulting in stalls. We still have a lot of fixes to make, but these two were causing immediate issues. As our investigations have continued regarding performance, we’ve discovered more optimization opportunities within the foliage of the Tazeem environment, with our shadow tech, and even further adjustments of our navmesh tech. With the huge number of players in the game, we are getting valuable data and discovering great opportunities to see where the performance issues are and get them fixed.

In addition to the performance issues we’re seeing, we’re also specifically investigating the performance that our EU players are running into. Some of it is related to the above performance issues over such a long distance, but we’re investigating a variety of options to ensure your play experience improves.

Battlepass
As the community has progressed through the Battlepass they’ve stumbled upon a handful of quests that couldn't be completed. While the fixes for those issues went live this week, we wholly understand that this is still progress lost. In order to make up for these missed quests and give everyone’s progress a nice boost, as of the maintenance tomorrow, the entire community will be granted Battlepass XP equal to 7 daily Battlepass quests plus one Weekly quest. Hopefully everyone will feel right on track or even a little ahead following this adjustment.

Tutorialization:
As I mentioned above, the double spell drops adjustment goes live this week, but that’s only the beginning of the changes we’re working on to get people into the heart of the game sooner. While certain adjustments mentioned in the first State of the Game like reduced overall time to complete Tazeem can't be implemented immediately, our team is actively working on these and a number of other fixes - including an onboarding skip function - to bring you to the core gameplay faster.

Balance:
With billions of potential deck combinations, the builds and combos you all are discovering and sharing are providing us with great insights about gameplay balance. We’re actively taking a look at the biggest issues that are popping up with different deck combos, synergies, things that are overpowered or underpowered. Some of the combinations you’ve been pulling together are things we have never seen before, which is exciting for the team and is something we’ve been looking forward to. We’re going to continue to keep an eye out for spells and/or loadouts that are under or overperforming to make sure that the game’s variety of approaches stays as close to balanced as possible.

Mid-April Build:
I mentioned last week that we’re working towards a few releases that are focused on bug fixing, and while you’ll be getting fixes and improvements every week, some of these releases will be larger. Our first such build will be dropping in the middle of April and we have over 400 issues that have been resolved so far. The build will have some performance fixes, general fixes, and quality of life changes. As we get closer to the release of this build I’ll be sharing more details on what to expect.

Steps in the right direction. They really need to keep optimizing / improve performance though because it's really poor for such a simple looking game.

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

I was watching some gameplay footage and the minions in this game look super dumb. You'd kinda think that with Magic being all about summoning stuff that they'd at least get the minion AI right.

Pope Urbane II
Nov 25, 2012

Vorik posted:

I was watching some gameplay footage and the minions in this game look super dumb. You'd kinda think that with Magic being all about summoning stuff that they'd at least get the minion AI right.

You'd think you could at least command them to attach specific poo poo. Instead they're like Diablo minions.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Pope Urbane II posted:

You'd think you could at least command them to attach specific poo poo. Instead they're like Diablo minions.

That's the best part, you CAN and the game never tells you. It's T or clicking right? stick.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

https://www.playmagiclegends.com/en/news-article/11486433

Steps in the right direction. They really need to keep optimizing / improve performance though because it's really poor for such a simple looking game.

The performance is shockingly bad, part of which is that they only have east coast servers and they seem to be bad ones on top of that.

Pope Urbane II
Nov 25, 2012

Cinara posted:

That's the best part, you CAN and the game never tells you. It's T or clicking right? stick.

Oh, holy poo poo.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015

Pope Urbane II posted:

They are far, far dumber and less aggressive than Diablo pets. The green deck starts with a giant 6/6, ten mana Baloth creature and it spends literally two thirds of the time turning in place trying to face a new enemy, then doesn't move anyway because it can't find a path.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Cinara posted:

You can, but it doesn't work worth a poo poo and you're better off leaving them to their own devices. Eg: the mobs all have collision with each other and if you have too many and they're all trying to circle the same thing half your stuff will be constantly out of range circling around what you want them to attack.

Pope Urbane II
Nov 25, 2012
Goddammit they patched out vault farm.

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
I'm not playing this, but since its by Cryptic: Is there an auction house, and has anyone tried putting in negative numbers yet?

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Baller Time posted:

I'm not playing this, but since its by Cryptic: Is there an auction house, and has anyone tried putting in negative numbers yet?

The best Neverwinter bug. And unless people put ridiculous numbers in, most people got away with it too.

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
Not just Neverwinter, STO had the same bug!

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

game still bad?

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Game will never be good.

Necrosaro
Dec 31, 2008

A Necrosaro Appears!
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i82Dw7N3K94

Spoilers: He didn't like it

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
IF I REPORT SOMETHING, BAN ME.

Stanley Pain posted:

Game will never be good.

Game will be shutdown/back to closed alpha in 2 months

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Lorem ipsum posted:

Game will be shutdown/back to closed alpha in 2 months

That would be the correct thing to do; however, they've taken people's money and promised no wipes, so that's basically a launch.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

I really wonder why people think the game will close. like, what's your business case for this

Orv
May 4, 2011

LordSaturn posted:

I really wonder why people think the game will close. like, what's your business case for this

Multiplayer, service driven games that do not get a sufficient mass of players and profit close? They can run on real slim margins for years but almost nobody has good things to say about Legends right now and while that's not a guaranteed death knell it's not a good look.

That said, if anyone were to keep a barely played, barely profitable game open it'd be Cryptic. Champions Online is solid proof of that and Cryptic does seem to have hit on a whale hooking model that works for them.

Orv fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Apr 3, 2021

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Orv posted:

That said, if anyone were to keep a barely played, barely profitable game open it'd be Cryptic. Champions Online is solid proof of that and Cryptic does seem to have hit on a whale hooking model that works for them.

Champions Online is a unicorn. It has, at best, two or three dozen whales, but it keeps going because it has essentially free hosting.

Pope Urbane II
Nov 25, 2012
Marvel Heroes died because of profits not meeting licensing costs, right? Wouldn't this be subject to the same pressures?

Obviously, MTG would be cheaper than Marvel, but we'd also have to expect that this game has a small and rapidly falling user base.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Pope Urbane II posted:

Marvel Heroes died because of profits not meeting licensing costs, right? Wouldn't this be subject to the same pressures?

Obviously, MTG would be cheaper than Marvel, but we'd also have to expect that this game has a small and rapidly falling user base.
Marvel Heroes died due to a combination of hiring a sexual predator who was, separately, running the company into the ground, and Marvel not wanting to continue their license's 10-year term and/or the aforementioned running-into-the-ground including "not talking to them about renewing the license."

So really the only way this could fall prey to that would be through gross negligence coupled with MTG's profile rising so astronomically between the creation of the game and the renewal point that they can just punt it by the wayside. Only one of those things seems likely, tbf.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

marvel heroes shambled on quite a while into its twilight years. games posters always seem so excited to proclaim a game bad, dead, unplayed and unplayable, out of business, etc. how long did loving Wildstar slug it out? I haven't touched mleg since a week ago because I finished the story mode and didn't want to grind currency but I think some of you are getting a bit ahead of yourselves

meanwhile:

Marvel Heroes died due to a combination of hiring a sexual predator who was, separately, running the company into the ground, and Marvel not wanting to continue their license's 10-year term and/or the aforementioned running-into-the-ground including "not talking to them about renewing the license."

who's this about

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
IMHO the real reason Marvel cut ties was because Gazillion missed a movie tie-in event and did a half-assed job on two others. This is kind of a no-brainer since 99% of Marvel's income nowadays comes from the movies.

a dude posted:

who's this about

When Brevik left as CEO, they hired this dude named Dave Dorhman, who is definitely a sex pest and maybe a rapist.

Orv
May 4, 2011

LordSaturn posted:

marvel heroes shambled on quite a while into its twilight years. games posters always seem so excited to proclaim a game bad, dead, unplayed and unplayable, out of business, etc. how long did loving Wildstar slug it out? I haven't touched mleg since a week ago because I finished the story mode and didn't want to grind currency but I think some of you are getting a bit ahead of yourselves

If you want the game to do well because you like it or wherever this is coming from that's totally valid but it's also valid for people to not like it at all and goons will always hyperbolize both ends of the spectrum.

I think there is a chance, slim but possible, that in a couple years this is a solid ARPG with a bunch of content. I do not expect that to be the case, though.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

So really the only way this could fall prey to that would be through gross negligence coupled with MTG's profile rising so astronomically between the creation of the game and the renewal point that they can just punt it by the wayside. Only one of those things seems likely, tbf.

The investment sexual predator guy was brought on because the game was dead. It was already run into the ground and Disney had declined to renwe license(in private) before he showed up. His cash infusion(and license renewal) kept the game alive a little while longer while they tried to pivot to consoles. When that failed, it was over. And according to people who worked there, Disney absolutely knew about the allegations and did not give a single gently caress. :capitalism: The only problem was that they still weren't making enough money so the license wasn't renewed a second time.

MH: the game so nice it died twice.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Apr 3, 2021

Mr. Maggy
Aug 17, 2014
this game will be a zombie at launch because cryptic can do that poo poo, Champions Online was dead in beta but it's still around

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
IF I REPORT SOMETHING, BAN ME.

LordSaturn posted:

Online games take money to run. You have to pay people and pay for servers. If your game doesn't make money, you are losing money running the game. That is the business case.

ColdIronsBound
Nov 4, 2008
This game is an unoptimised piece of poo poo.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
The business case is that several other more successful free to play games shuttered their doors and this is off to a very bad start. There may be the possibility they have enough in the tank to redo it and make it good but that's an exception. Even as rough as Marvel Heroes (which a lot of us trying this came from) was at launch, it wasn't this bad...

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
If Cryptic has any real strength as a studio, it's that they have somehow figured out how to keep a growing stable of low budget, unpolished, unpopular online games running profitably for over a decade. How many of Champions Online or Star Trek's contemporaries not called Final Fantasy or Warcraft are still running?

I don't know what kind of literal voodoo they employ to keep shuffling forward their army of unliving zombie games, but they're beating the odds. I genuinely have no idea what will happen with Magic in the long run. I mean I feel pretty certain that they will never make it good, but I would not be surprised if it still manages to make money for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Urbane II
Nov 25, 2012
Cryptic is probably an elaborate money laundering scheme.