Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HappyCreatedInc
Mar 24, 2021
It was a brisk March afternoon in my living room. I was babysitting and my mind was on another planet with the endless loop of nursery rhymes and babble. It was there that a thought entered my head, in the hit 1989 motion picture The Wizard starring Fred Savage, a classic game was mentioned and shown briefly, Double Dragon. I realized I’ve never played any Double Dragon game and my experience with Beat Em Ups never really reached past Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles in Time so after seeing I could buy the first 3 Double Dragon games on iOS for 99 cents I decided I’d play through every game and record it because I have no life. But also because I was inspired by Run Button who played through 20 years of sonic games. https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLB03C1EE50686295B

I’m new to forums as a whole and to this forum so bear with me please. Hopefully all of these BBcode things work right.

(Still don’t know what I’m doing wrong with this bbcode but just imagine here being two Kung Fu bros brandishing weapons, a smaller scene of them committing assault underneath their gigantic bodies and the words “DOUBLE DRAGON” above their heads in gold) <— I finally got it to work thanks to TeeQueue but I’m gonna leave this here because I think it’s funny

If you’re not aware of Double Dragon: Double Dragon is a beat 'em up video game series initially developed by Technōs Japan and released as an arcade game in 1987. The series features twin martial artists, Billy and Jimmy Lee, as they fight against various adversaries and rivals

Here’s the first episode, the entirety of the first game, apparently they’re not very long games.

Here’s the second episode, the entirety of Double Dragon 2: The Revenge.

Episode 3, the first half of Double Dragon 3: The Rosetta Stone.

EP4, the finale of Double Dragon 3: The Rosetta Stone, weird game but I liked it.

Episode 5 and the first part of Double Dragon 3: The Sacred Stones, I hate it.

EP 6, continuing The Scared Stones and slowly growing to hate it.

EP 7, the finale of the dreadful Sacred Stones. This is just full tilt rage loving mode episode.

EP 8, DOUBLE DRAGON NEON but terrible quality, like I’m deeply sorry for this video quality of old school DSP style.

EP 9, Double Dragon 2: Wander of the Dragons. A weird “remake” of 2.

EP 10, the latest game released in the series, Double Dragon 4 and it’s really drat good?

EP 11, continuing DD4, we’re approaching the end boys.

EP 12, the finale of DD4 and the series...except there’s 2 more bonus episodes to come.

EP 13, kind of just a bonus episode, I wanted to show off the NES version of Double Dragon 2. Spoiler, it’s loving great like the arcade version.

EP 14 and the last episode. Just showing off some other popular beat em up games at the time. specifically Golden Axe, Comix Zone and Streets of Rage.

Always confused

HappyCreatedInc fucked around with this message at 01:56 on May 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
If you use imgur for the image uploads and select "Get Share Links"

You can then copy/paste the BB code link and it'll work automatically.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Fan of Double Dragon following your LP!

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
So I watched a bit of your first video. I see you're using your iPhone, so we can see your face. That is a first for me.

Pros:

-We can see your face.
-You have a pretty good composition in your video

Cons:

-I can't hear much of anything outside of you talking. I think you made the game sound a bit too low.

I would recommend talking about something like this (but I tend to like informative LPs, so that's just me):

"Double Dragon is an interesting game series with an interesting history. It started in the 80s and by the late 90s it had about 6 main series games as well as multiple cameos and "Battle Toads Vs. Double Dragon". It was on almost every possible system in existence. It had a cartoon series, a movie, comics, and toys. Did you know that it was made by the same guys that did all the Kunio Kun/River City Ransom games? Those were it's predecessors. As of 2016 or so, the latest game in the series was Double Dragon Neon, but it looks like there might be a new one or two coming to the Switch."

I picked this all up just now from here. It's about a 30 minute video. The stuff about the switch ports I found through a few YT recommendations but haven't looked at them past the titles as of yet, though I'm sure you might be able to find a bit more on GameFAQs or elsewhere.

There's also the technical LPs like Fionordequester does in his Breath of Fire 2 LP or his Megaman X LP. If you want to go this route, you need to be GOOD.

If you truly want to go through the history of this game, might I recommend you start with MAME or Retroarch emulation of the arcade originals or even some of the emulated console versions such as the NES and Sega MS ports. I don't know what version was ported in the remake you're playing, but the ports can be wildly different games from the originals (see the video I linked above).

edit: I see why you are using your phone. You're playing through the iOS ports of the first 3 games. I don't know if it supports game pads or joysticks, but it's not the same without a stick and some buttons in my opinion.

mastersord fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Mar 25, 2021

HappyCreatedInc
Mar 24, 2021

That Italian Guy posted:

If you use imgur for the image uploads and select "Get Share Links"

You can then copy/paste the BB code link and it'll work automatically.

I didn’t use Imgur but I will now, thanks for the tip! Edit: I tried but when I uploaded the image I didn't have a "get share links" options. Only embed, download, edit post and make post hidden, rip.

achtungnight posted:

Fan of Double Dragon following your LP!

I’m a fan so far too! Do you have a favorite in the series?

HappyCreatedInc fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Mar 25, 2021

HappyCreatedInc
Mar 24, 2021

mastersord posted:

So I watched a bit of your first video. I see you're using your iPhone, so we can see your face. That is a first for me.

Pros:

-We can see your face.
-You have a pretty good composition in your video

Cons:

-I can't hear much of anything outside of you talking. I think you made the game sound a bit too low.

I would recommend talking about something like this (but I tend to like informative LPs, so that's just me):

"Double Dragon is an interesting game series with an interesting history. It started in the 80s and by the late 90s it had about 6 main series games as well as multiple cameos and "Battle Toads Vs. Double Dragon". It was on almost every possible system in existence. It had a cartoon series, a movie, comics, and toys. Did you know that it was made by the same guys that did all the Kunio Kun/River City Ransom games? Those were it's predecessors. As of 2016 or so, the latest game in the series was Double Dragon Neon, but it looks like there might be a new one or two coming to the Switch."

I picked this all up just now from here. It's about a 30 minute video. The stuff about the switch ports I found through a few YT recommendations but haven't looked at them past the titles as of yet, though I'm sure you might be able to find a bit more on GameFAQs or elsewhere.

There's also the technical LPs like Fionordequester does in his Breath of Fire 2 LP or his Megaman X LP. If you want to go this route, you need to be GOOD.

If you truly want to go through the history of this game, might I recommend you start with MAME or Retroarch emulation of the arcade originals or even some of the emulated console versions such as the NES and Sega MS ports. I don't know what version was ported in the remake you're playing, but the ports can be wildly different games from the originals (see the video I linked above).

edit: I see why you are using your phone. You're playing through the iOS ports of the first 3 games. I don't know if it supports game pads or joysticks, but it's not the same without a stick and some buttons in my opinion.

I was nervous using a face cam for the first time. I’ve always been one to watch people who don’t use one but when I tried recording without it the game was way too loud and my voice was so quiet and the only way I could do separate audio tracks was to use a face cam. I’ll turn up the game audio in future parts though, thanks for pointing that out!

I am trying to explore/explain the history of the game but in a more so casual way. I would like to be a little more informative but honestly I’m more focused on “am I being entertaining” more so than “am I teaching” ya know? Plus, I was waiting until I get to certain games to talk about them. That little info thing you wrote is nice, though, would you mind if I use it in a video?

I would like to emulate the original arcade games but as of right now I can’t, I don’t have a pc. I can play the first 3 from the iOS trilogy, the third one which is Double Dragon: The Rosetta Stone but there’s another “3rd” game in the series. Double Dragon: The Sacred Stones, which from what I read is similar to The Rosetta Stone but it’s it’s own separate thing and I can get that on PS4. The only other one I can play/record with screen recording is Double Dragon Neon but that’s not until way later in the series so I’m not sure what I’m going to do yet.

And lastly, yeah I hate playing games with virtual buttons, I didn’t think to test the iOS port to see if it was compatible with my PS4 controller, I’ll see about that!

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
Go ahead, but please watch (and cite) that youtube link. Like I said, it's just a short summary from the video which goes into more detail.

One of things that i notice in quite a few games with videos is that people think that they need to talk constantly. The truth is that usually the game it's self will do most of the talking. Another way to put it is, when you play a game, especially an action game, do you throw on a movie in the background? I know I don't. An LPer adds commentary to the game footage, just like an announcer during a ball game. You can just describe what you are doing, why, and how. I looked at one of your "Don't Starve" videos from 2 years ago, and that was fine. You don't need to do more than that is all I'm saying.

I also noticed that because you use your phone on a desk, you are constantly looking down. If you're not looking at the camera, you are not looking at the audience.

"The Rosetta Stone" and "The Sacred Stones" are 2 different versions of Double Dragon 3. "The Rosetta Stone" was the version that ended up in the arcades and "The Sacred Stones" is the version the NES got.

Until you get a PC, most of the ports as well as IV, V, and VI will not be accessible to you. Finish the iOS trilogy for now and then maybe consider restarting the thread later when you get a PC. At your current rate, you will be finished in 3 or 4 videos. The first 3 games are pretty short.

HappyCreatedInc
Mar 24, 2021
Episode 2 is up, a longplay of Double Dragon 2: The Revenge. It’s harder, some enemies are like bullet sponges (punch sponges?) but the combat is better and despite getting tilted I think I like this one better than the first one.

https://youtu.be/-58KjRQ94wA

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
Much better! I can actually hear the game now!

You need a computer to stream emulation. Something in the $500* range would probably be fine for it, but I'm not sure how you'll get around it. You might be able to run home-brew emulators on your PS4, but you still need a PC (or Mac) to download them.

*Does not include hardware and software for streaming

HappyCreatedInc
Mar 24, 2021

mastersord posted:

Much better! I can actually hear the game now!

You need a computer to stream emulation. Something in the $500* range would probably be fine for it, but I'm not sure how you'll get around it. You might be able to run home-brew emulators on your PS4, but you still need a PC (or Mac) to download them.

*Does not include hardware and software for streaming

Ok cool! I’m glad I found a good balance, especially in this game because the music is good.

I’d love to get a PC but I can’t afford it right now, hopefully in the future I can. I’d like one to not only emulate older games but also play WoW and maybe some other newer games. Would a $500 PC do that? I don’t know a whole lot about computers.

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat

HappyCreatedInc posted:

Ok cool! I’m glad I found a good balance, especially in this game because the music is good.

I’d love to get a PC but I can’t afford it right now, hopefully in the future I can. I’d like one to not only emulate older games but also play WoW and maybe some other newer games. Would a $500 PC do that? I don’t know a whole lot about computers.

Well, you can ask in one of our other subforums or, and I hate to promote another place, head over to reddit/r/buildAPCForMe and they'll help you out with parts. At least there, they can get you a parts shopping list and specs. From there, you can use PCPartPicker to buy all your parts and build it, or you can look at stuff on Dell.com or some other reputable pre-built site and see if they can meet your spec requirements for your budget.

I built a few PCs in my years, including the one I'm typing on now. It's cheaper than a pre-built (by $100-300 or more sometimes), but you'll need to be willing to get your hands dirty and no tech support unless you shell out your own money or have friends (and before you ask, I'm NOT gonna be your tech support). Most of it is using a screw driver and plugging a card into a socket. All of it can be found on youtube.

Prices fluctuate and the chip shortage and crypto-miners have pushed some price inflation for components, but they do go down eventually and things do go on sale. You also don't need to buy everything at once.

Edit: I'm not seeing much in the $500 range, but I did see a build or 2 in the $800 range. Check that sub-reddit out and see.

mastersord fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Mar 29, 2021

HappyCreatedInc
Mar 24, 2021

mastersord posted:

Well, you can ask in one of our other subforums or, and I hate to promote another place, head over to reddit/r/buildAPCForMe and they'll help you out with parts. At least there, they can get you a parts shopping list and specs. From there, you can use PCPartPicker to buy all your parts and build it, or you can look at stuff on Dell.com or some other reputable pre-built site and see if they can meet your spec requirements for your budget.

I built a few PCs in my years, including the one I'm typing on now. It's cheaper than a pre-built (by $100-300 or more sometimes), but you'll need to be willing to get your hands dirty and no tech support unless you shell out your own money or have friends (and before you ask, I'm NOT gonna be your tech support). Most of it is using a screw driver and plugging a card into a socket. All of it can be found on youtube.

Prices fluctuate and the chip shortage and crypto-miners have pushed some price inflation for components, but they do go down eventually and things do go on sale. You also don't need to buy everything at once.

Edit: I'm not seeing much in the $500 range, but I did see a build or 2 in the $800 range. Check that sub-reddit out and see.

Ok cool, thanks for the info. Maybe we’ll get another stimulus check and I’ll see about getting one.

Also, thanks for commenting in this thread and talking with me in general. I honestly expected I’d spend $10 to make this thread and either not have anyone comment or have people that do but were negative. I’m happy I was wrong.

I’ve been browsing here and there when I get the chance, I kinda like this place.

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat

HappyCreatedInc posted:

Ok cool, thanks for the info. Maybe we’ll get another stimulus check and I’ll see about getting one.

Also, thanks for commenting in this thread and talking with me in general. I honestly expected I’d spend $10 to make this thread and either not have anyone comment or have people that do but were negative. I’m happy I was wrong.

I’ve been browsing here and there when I get the chance, I kinda like this place.

Glad to help! It sucks that the world has gotten so rough these last few years but hopefully things will get better soon.

These boards have been around since 1999. I've been here since 2001. These boards have had a long history and continue to evolve even today. The fact that not only are we still around, but still getting new members says a lot about this place.

The rules here are to post first in the sandcastle thread before starting an LP, but whether you did or didn't, I will give honest advice when I can as long as you are respectful. On YouTube and Twitch , LPs are done to get followers and viewers. Here, LPs are (mostly) done for the love(or hate) of the games they are LPing. I barely remember who did what LP, but I'll remember the LP if it was good. I've picked up quite a few games and game series from LPs here (Shin Megami Tensei, Disgaea, Xenoblade Chronicles 1 & 2, Fallout 3, 4, & New Vegas, and Skyrim just to name a few).

I check for new posts every night around this time, so I'll be around.

If you're into internet radio, check out GBS.FM and if you're into streaming youtube clips and movies, check out Goontube. The later has a built-in chatroom while the former is more active on Discord.

HappyCreatedInc
Mar 24, 2021

mastersord posted:

Glad to help! It sucks that the world has gotten so rough these last few years but hopefully things will get better soon.

These boards have been around since 1999. I've been here since 2001. These boards have had a long history and continue to evolve even today. The fact that not only are we still around, but still getting new members says a lot about this place.

The rules here are to post first in the sandcastle thread before starting an LP, but whether you did or didn't, I will give honest advice when I can as long as you are respectful. On YouTube and Twitch , LPs are done to get followers and viewers. Here, LPs are (mostly) done for the love(or hate) of the games they are LPing. I barely remember who did what LP, but I'll remember the LP if it was good. I've picked up quite a few games and game series from LPs here (Shin Megami Tensei, Disgaea, Xenoblade Chronicles 1 & 2, Fallout 3, 4, & New Vegas, and Skyrim just to name a few).

I check for new posts every night around this time, so I'll be around.

If you're into internet radio, check out GBS.FM and if you're into streaming youtube clips and movies, check out Goontube. The later has a built-in chatroom while the former is more active on Discord.

Since 99? Wow. I didn’t realize just how old these forums were, that’s incredible! Like I said, I learned about it from watching a let’s play on YouTube randomly several years ago (2011-ish) and I’m only just now joining myself. I couldn’t justify the entry fee until now.

And oh man, I didn’t post in the sandcastle thread first, I didn’t know about that rule! Where can I find the thread to post in it? Never mind I found it! But yeah I’m not going to lie, I did post here to get more views but less of a “I wanna get rich and famous from YouTube” and more like “I really really like recording and doing commentary and making content and I want an audience to share it with who might like it to.” To also feel like I accomplished something because generally I feel like a failure in most aspects. Not to get too depressing. I’ve picked up a lot of games from let’s plays too, it’s really a great hobby. Have you done any yourself?

And honestly I’m not super big into internet radio but I’ll try to check it out, along with the other thing but why is that better than just normal YouTube?

HappyCreatedInc fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Mar 31, 2021

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
Unrelated, but: for the image with url link in your OP, the way you want to write it is:

code:
[url=(URL GOES HERE)][img](IMAGE LINK GOES HERE)[/img][/url]
That should fix it, and give you a link that goes to a spot. If you don’t want it to link somewhere, you can also just forget the url tag entirely, all you need is img. You can also use something like this:

code:
[url=(URL GOES HERE)]This is the name of the game[/url]
In order to more neatly put a link together. It may come in handy. I’d recommend taking a look around at how other LPs do things, and seeing how they construct their OP via the quote button-it’ll show you how they format using the bbcode. The bbcode button in the reply page also takes you to a good explanation page too.

That aside, welcome. Here’s hoping you find your footing! :buddy:

TeeQueue fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Mar 31, 2021

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat

HappyCreatedInc posted:

Since 99? Wow. I didn’t realize just how old these forums were, that’s incredible! Like I said, I learned about it from watching a let’s play on YouTube randomly several years ago (2011-ish) and I’m only just now joining myself. I couldn’t justify the entry fee until now.

And oh man, I didn’t post in the sandcastle thread first, I didn’t know about that rule! Where can I find the thread to post in it? Never mind I found it! But yeah I’m not going to lie, I did post here to get more views but less of a “I wanna get rich and famous from YouTube” and more like “I really really like recording and doing commentary and making content and I want an audience to share it with who might like it to.” To also feel like I accomplished something because generally I feel like a failure in most aspects. Not to get too depressing. I’ve picked up a lot of games from let’s plays too, it’s really a great hobby. Have you done any yourself?

And honestly I’m not super big into internet radio but I’ll try to check it out, along with the other thing but why is that better than just normal YouTube?

The sandcastle is a stickied thread here, but don't worry about it with this one but maybe on your next one. It doesn't hurt is all. I don't do my own LPs for a few reasons:

1) Time: I have a full-time job as a software developer. I also don't know enough about how video editing or streaming or work, so I haven't gotten a setup together. I also haven't had the PC hardware until a year ago when I finally sat down and built a new machine. Before then, I was running a 10 year-old Core 2 Duo machine with barely 4GB RAM.

2) I'm not knowledge-able enough or passionate enough on a game to devote the time to doing an LP (though I am for commenting on them). Most of the stuff I play is fairly long (RPGs mostly) and I'm not into re-playing stuff I've already played. Most of the stuff I learn is from GameFAQs, Youtube, or other forums and I feel like I'm addressing stuff people already know.

I've thought about doing commentary on some of the LPs (like being a guest), but I really don't know what I need to get involved. Maybe I will one day.

I was mentioning those 2 things more for the social aspects. Goontube is a Sync tube project where a bunch of us just put up youtube (and other tube sites) videos on a shared player and watch them together and talk about them. I like it because it gets me out of my comfort zone and I get to see stuff that I'd normally not look for (nothing terrible or illegal, just different like artsy stuff or music videos from bands I've never heard of), but most importantly, I get to talk to other goons in real time without having to set up a camera or anything. Check it out for yourself sometime.

mastersord fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Apr 1, 2021

HappyCreatedInc
Mar 24, 2021

TeeQueue posted:

Unrelated, but: for the image with url link in your OP, the way you want to write it is:

code:
[url=(URL GOES HERE)][timg](IMAGE LINK GOES HERE)[/timg][/url]
That should fix it, and give you a link that goes to a spot. If you don’t want it to link somewhere, you can also just forget the url tag entirely, all you need is img. You can also use something like this:

code:
[url=(URL GOES HERE)]This is the name of the game[/url]
In order to more neatly put a link together. It may come in handy. I’d recommend taking a look around at how other LPs do things, and seeing how they construct their OP via the quote button-it’ll show you how they format using the bbcode. The bbcode button in the reply page also takes you to a good explanation page too.

That aside, welcome. Here’s hoping you find your footing! :buddy:

loving thank you! I still don’t know what I was doing wrong, I couldn’t get it to work for awhile, even after copying and pasting what you put and then after doing it again for the 20th time it just clicked for some reason.

HappyCreatedInc
Mar 24, 2021

mastersord posted:

The sandcastle is a stickied thread here, but don't worry about it with this one but maybe on your next one. It doesn't hurt is all. I don't do my own LPs for a few reasons:

1) Time: I have a full-time job as a software developer. I also don't know enough about how video editing or streaming or work, so I haven't gotten a setup together. I also haven't had the PC hardware until a year ago when I finally sat down and built a new machine. Before then, I was running a 10 year-old Core 2 Duo machine with barely 4GB RAM.

2) I'm not knowledge-able enough or passionate enough on a game to devote the time to doing an LP (though I am for commenting on them). Most of the stuff I play is fairly long (RPGs mostly) and I'm not into re-playing stuff I've already played. Most of the stuff I learn is from GameFAQs, Youtube, or other forums and I feel like I'm addressing stuff people already know.

I've thought about doing commentary on some of the LPs (like being a guest), but I really don't know what I need to get involved. Maybe I will one day.

I was mentioning those 2 things more for the social aspects. Goontube is a Sync tube project where a bunch of us just put up youtube (and other tube sites) videos on a shared player and watch them together and talk about them. I like it because it gets me out of my comfort zone and I get to see stuff that I'd normally not look for (nothing terrible or illegal, just different like artsy stuff or music videos from bands I've never heard of), but most importantly, I get to talk to other goons in real time without having to set up a camera or anything. Check it out for yourself sometime.

I get that, those are good reasons. Especially the first one, it can be time consuming. The other ones, though, shouldn’t let it stop you if it’s something you want to do! Like, there’s nothing wrong with doing a let’s play on some RPGs and not providing any new info or anything from other series. You can just play and talk about your day. Hell, a few years ago I randomly started a lets play of FF7 since I missed playing it when I was a kid. Speaking of, what’s your favorite RPG?

But you’re more than welcomed to jump on one of my episodes of Double Dragon if you want. I’m sure we can figure out how to do that.

Ohhh, that sounds really cool! I will check that out, thanks. I need to push myself into doing more stuff like that.

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat

HappyCreatedInc posted:

I get that, those are good reasons. Especially the first one, it can be time consuming. The other ones, though, shouldn’t let it stop you if it’s something you want to do! Like, there’s nothing wrong with doing a let’s play on some RPGs and not providing any new info or anything from other series. You can just play and talk about your day. Hell, a few years ago I randomly started a lets play of FF7 since I missed playing it when I was a kid. Speaking of, what’s your favorite RPG?

But you’re more than welcomed to jump on one of my episodes of Double Dragon if you want. I’m sure we can figure out how to do that.

Ohhh, that sounds really cool! I will check that out, thanks. I need to push myself into doing more stuff like that.

Favorite? Hmm.. I have a few. Secret of Mana 1 and 3, and Chrono Trigger come to mind, though I haven't played them in years.

HappyCreatedInc
Mar 24, 2021

mastersord posted:

Favorite? Hmm.. I have a few. Secret of Mana 1 and 3, and Chrono Trigger come to mind, though I haven't played them in years.

I’ve heard good things about those but never played them myself. JRPGs are hard for me to get into but my favorite one I did get really into and it’s favorite still to the is day is Baten Kaitos, ever played or heard of it? A close second would be the original Phantasy Star.

Also general update for the thread, I haven’t been able to record Double Dragon 3 yet, been crazy busy and tomorrow is going to be similar but hopefully the next day I can. I did replay both 1&2 though.

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat

HappyCreatedInc posted:

I’ve heard good things about those but never played them myself. JRPGs are hard for me to get into but my favorite one I did get really into and it’s favorite still to the is day is Baten Kaitos, ever played or heard of it? A close second would be the original Phantasy Star.

Also general update for the thread, I haven’t been able to record Double Dragon 3 yet, been crazy busy and tomorrow is going to be similar but hopefully the next day I can. I did replay both 1&2 though.

I've heard of it but never picked it up myself. It's been LPed here a few times and there was an LP of it just recently.

HappyCreatedInc
Mar 24, 2021
Very quick update. I’ve been working on the third episode, Double Dragon 3: The Rosetta Stone and it’s been 3 or 4 days of technical difficulties, general life and I’m also incredibly stuck on the final boss. So I may say gently caress it and upload what I have, it’s like 99% of the game just not the ending. I’ll think about it though, I’d rather not upload the game not complete but maybe I’ll move on for now and come back to it.

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat

HappyCreatedInc posted:

Very quick update. I’ve been working on the third episode, Double Dragon 3: The Rosetta Stone and it’s been 3 or 4 days of technical difficulties, general life and I’m also incredibly stuck on the final boss. So I may say gently caress it and upload what I have, it’s like 99% of the game just not the ending. I’ll think about it though, I’d rather not upload the game not complete but maybe I’ll move on for now and come back to it.

Have you checked GameFAQs and the usual places? Have you tried YouTubing the fight to see if you're missing something in your strategy?

HappyCreatedInc
Mar 24, 2021

mastersord posted:

Have you checked GameFAQs and the usual places? Have you tried YouTubing the fight to see if you're missing something in your strategy?

I did, yeah, and I was still stuck. Mostly because at the end there’s 4 bosses back to back. I was totally ready to just move on but I tried it one last time last night and I actually beat it!

The only problem now, which isn’t even a problem but it just bummed me out, is with all of the video after I edited them is something like 52 minutes long and the app I’ve been using to edit/merge them all together just refused to render a video that long so I had to cut it into two videos.

HappyCreatedInc
Mar 24, 2021
And heres episode 3, the first half of Double Dragon 3: The Rosetta Stone. I’ll upload the second half tomorrow. I wrote in the description my thoughts on the game as a whole but for a tiny recap, I liked it.

https://youtu.be/sxjCYfdrpW4

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
8:50- The original game was made for Arcade cabinets, so they wanted actual quarters (or tokens) to purchase stuff. Not sure how the iOS version handles this.

18:42- You never saw the movie? Oh boy.. It's a cheesy 90s action movie used to sell merchandise. This game has no connection to that movie. There's a brief synopsis in that link I first posted to that History or Double Dragon video. You really should watch that.

21:30- Just some thoughts. Maybe forget the face-cam and live audio. Try adding commentary in post instead. I'm following at least 5 LPs where they are doing all their commentary in post, and I think it comes out better in that they focus on what you(the audience) are seeing rather than how they are playing. It allows you to focus on showing what you want to see and preparing what you want to say after you finish the recording. This may not work for you, but it might be easier if you are worried about how you sound.

End- Can you open the video and take notes at where you want to insert comments? Sort of like what I did here?

edit: Speaking of LPs I'm following, are you familiar with the Yakuza series? The fighting in those games seems a bit like a spiritual successor to the old-school side-scrolling beat-em-ups of the 90s.

mastersord fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Apr 10, 2021

HappyCreatedInc
Mar 24, 2021

mastersord posted:

8:50- The original game was made for Arcade cabinets, so they wanted actual quarters (or tokens) to purchase stuff. Not sure how the iOS version handles this.

18:42- You never saw the movie? Oh boy.. It's a cheesy 90s action movie used to sell merchandise. This game has no connection to that movie. There's a brief synopsis in that link I first posted to that History or Double Dragon video. You really should watch that.

21:30- Just some thoughts. Maybe forget the face-cam and live audio. Try adding commentary in post instead. I'm following at least 5 LPs where they are doing all their commentary in post, and I think it comes out better in that they focus on what you(the audience) are seeing rather than how they are playing. It allows you to focus on showing what you want to see and preparing what you want to say after you finish the recording. This may not work for you, but it might be easier if you are worried about how you sound.

End- Can you open the video and take notes at where you want to insert comments? Sort of like what I did here?

edit: Speaking of LPs I'm following, are you familiar with the Yakuza series? The fighting in those games seems a bit like a spiritual successor to the old-school side-scrolling beat-em-ups of the 90s.

I never could figure out how it worked either. I never got to use anything in the shops and you’ll see later the continues didn’t work either.

Not yet but I plan on watching it for the series sake when I get up to the tie in game. I know this game didn’t have any connections with the movie besides them wanting to have a game to release for the movie.

I get what you’re saying but I like having my live reactions to things. People get to be there to see how bewilderment, my frustration, my joy. If I’m doing post commentary I’m basically having to write a script and adding a lot of extra work to do in post production. I don’t do this professionally, I don’t make any money, I just do it for fun. I put effort into it, like I don’t half rear end it but at the same time I mostly just want to have the video just be me and be real, if that makes sense.

I’m not sure what you mean, are you asking if I can put your comments in the video? I don’t think that’s what you’re asking but I’m having a hard time processing what you’re saying.

And lastly, I’m the tiniest bit familiar. I’ve heard about the series, I know people love it and I’ve seen a few videos of an LP of one of them. I can’t remember which one but yeah I think you might be onto something with that.

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat

HappyCreatedInc posted:

I’m not sure what you mean, are you asking if I can put your comments in the video? I don’t think that’s what you’re asking but I’m having a hard time processing what you’re saying.

I was commenting on how you couldn't see what you were adding commentary to. I was wondering if you could play back your video without your commentary track and as it plays, whenever you want to say something, hit pause, write down the time stamp in the video, record your audio separately, and splice it back at that position. It sounds like what you were doing at the end when you mentioned that your audio cut out.

The times I was posting next to each section was to show what point i was commenting on in your video.

HappyCreatedInc
Mar 24, 2021

mastersord posted:

I was commenting on how you couldn't see what you were adding commentary to. I was wondering if you could play back your video without your commentary track and as it plays, whenever you want to say something, hit pause, write down the time stamp in the video, record your audio separately, and splice it back at that position. It sounds like what you were doing at the end when you mentioned that your audio cut out.

The times I was posting next to each section was to show what point i was commenting on in your video.

Wow, I’m dumb. I’m not sure why I couldn’t wrap my head around that. Yeah I could do that but honestly I’d rather set my hair on fire lol. That sounds awful. I can do do post commentary while watching the video when I edit on my PS4 but for some reason I can’t on the app I use on my phone but thankfully this is the last Double Dragon game I’ll be playing on iOS.

I don’t plan on using a face cam in anymore videos either. I really only did that since my phone wouldn’t screen record AND record my voice. I mean, it would but the sound was off and I needed separate audio tracks to tweak to make it sound ok.

Anyways here’s episode 4, the finale of Double Dragon 3: The Rosetta Stone.

https://youtu.be/yfb_c0PKOLs

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
Congratulations on finishing the first 3 games! The most frustrating thing I observed with this game is how choppy it is compared to the last 2. I think that was also a criticism of the original Arcade version of Double Dragon 3 (the other main one being that shop which cost additional real money).

One of the main problems with playing some of these older games blind is that you really don't get much of the story because 1) the translations weren't always good due to various reasons and 2) a lot of the supplemental stuff was written in the instruction manuals or on the panels of the actual arcade cabinet, which you don't have. This style of game-play didn't really die off until the 2000s as most game engines were more focused a game experience and really weren't powerful enough to also convey the story until then. Nowadays you can have NPCs, fully rendered 3D scenes, and voice-acted dialogues between characters without sacrificing game-play too much. Sandbox and open-world games are becoming the things to strive for. I remember being impressed as a kid when you could scroll a 2D platformer in 4 directions (God I sound old!).

The big problem I had with 2D brawlers like these is that your hit-box was not always obvious. It felt like you had to be perfectly in line with your opponents in order to hit them, but they had more reach in the front-to-back plane than you. I remember it turned me off to Double Dragon 1 as a kid. I think this was why you never really saw it come back in the 2D fighting games (Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, etc..)

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
hell yeah Double Dragon

I think I'm the only one who likes the movie. It's got Mark Dacascos in it! He's awesome!

HappyCreatedInc
Mar 24, 2021

mastersord posted:

Congratulations on finishing the first 3 games! The most frustrating thing I observed with this game is how choppy it is compared to the last 2. I think that was also a criticism of the original Arcade version of Double Dragon 3 (the other main one being that shop which cost additional real money).

One of the main problems with playing some of these older games blind is that you really don't get much of the story because 1) the translations weren't always good due to various reasons and 2) a lot of the supplemental stuff was written in the instruction manuals or on the panels of the actual arcade cabinet, which you don't have. This style of game-play didn't really die off until the 2000s as most game engines were more focused a game experience and really weren't powerful enough to also convey the story until then. Nowadays you can have NPCs, fully rendered 3D scenes, and voice-acted dialogues between characters without sacrificing game-play too much. Sandbox and open-world games are becoming the things to strive for. I remember being impressed as a kid when you could scroll a 2D platformer in 4 directions (God I sound old!).

The big problem I had with 2D brawlers like these is that your hit-box was not always obvious. It felt like you had to be perfectly in line with your opponents in order to hit them, but they had more reach in the front-to-back plane than you. I remember it turned me off to Double Dragon 1 as a kid. I think this was why you never really saw it come back in the 2D fighting games (Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, etc..)

Thanks! I’m enjoyed them a lot more than I thought I would, especially the second one. And, yeah that would be a criticism of mine too, the choppiness. I also read that this was one of the first instances of microtransactions and considering you can straight up but power ups and stuff, also pay to win. Plus, since I never did find any weapons to pick up I kind of assumed they were also part of the pay to win shop and if so, that’s dumb.

Yeah I probably should of looked more into the story overall before I started this series, I forgot sometimes how older games didn’t convey a story in the actual games sometimes. You even linked me that history video I never got around to watching so it’s all my own fault. I don’t really mind playing games that do/did that, though, because that just means I can do a lore dive later like I did with Dark Souls. All though that game did tell a story without having to do that. Also, if you don’t mind me asking, how old are you? I’m 27.

I totally get that because that’s always what’s stopped me too and playing these there were definitely some points that had that and it was crazy annoying but for the most part, like I said, I had fun playing them.

HappyCreatedInc
Mar 24, 2021

Rockstar Massacre posted:

hell yeah Double Dragon

I think I'm the only one who likes the movie. It's got Mark Dacascos in it! He's awesome!

I feel like I’m gonna like it because from what I heard it’s awful and I generally like awful things.

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat

HappyCreatedInc posted:

Also, if you don’t mind me asking, how old are you? I’m 27.

I'm 39. I'll be 40 by the end of the month. I am old!

HappyCreatedInc
Mar 24, 2021

mastersord posted:

I'm 39. I'll be 40 by the end of the month. I am old!

I wouldn’t of guessed! I don’t know why I always assume everyone is close to my age. It makes sense, though, considering this site has been around forever! Lol

Also, I did a minor lore dive into Double Dragon and I’ll bring up more of that in the next video.

(One thing I learned is that the main villain is literally named Big Willy but he has several other names, including Big Boss, maybe one game we try to stop him from unleashing METAL GEAR?)

HappyCreatedInc fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Apr 16, 2021

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat

HappyCreatedInc posted:

I wouldn’t of guessed! I don’t know why I always assume everyone is close to my age. It makes sense, though, considering this site has been around forever! Lol

Also, I did a minor lore dive into Double Dragon and I’ll bring up more of that in the next video.

(One thing I learned is that the main villain is literally named Big Willy but he has several other names, including Big Boss, maybe one game we try to stop him from unleashing METAL GEAR?)

You'd be quite surprised! I think the ages of goons around here ranges from at least 18 to 50 though I remember several years ago that we had a goon join who was about 13 or so at the time, maybe younger, but I think that's pretty rare these days. Last year I asked a few goons their ages (we weren't on the forums) and I was surprised to find a whole bunch that were within 3 years of me.

I played Double Dragon on the old NES and I remember watching someone play Double Dragon 3 at their house when it came out. I never really loved the games but I am curious how the later games turned out.

HappyCreatedInc
Mar 24, 2021

mastersord posted:

You'd be quite surprised! I think the ages of goons around here ranges from at least 18 to 50 though I remember several years ago that we had a goon join who was about 13 or so at the time, maybe younger, but I think that's pretty rare these days. Last year I asked a few goons their ages (we weren't on the forums) and I was surprised to find a whole bunch that were within 3 years of me.

I played Double Dragon on the old NES and I remember watching someone play Double Dragon 3 at their house when it came out. I never really loved the games but I am curious how the later games turned out.

That’s pretty crazy! I wouldn’t of guessed the wide age range. Lol

I never played any of the games growing up and like I said, very limited experience with the genre, that’s why I wanted to do this. I’m really curious how the later games are too! Sadly, this next one will be the last one I can play unless I decide to skip around in the timeline but I really don’t wanna do that.

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat

HappyCreatedInc posted:

That’s pretty crazy! I wouldn’t of guessed the wide age range. Lol

I never played any of the games growing up and like I said, very limited experience with the genre, that’s why I wanted to do this. I’m really curious how the later games are too! Sadly, this next one will be the last one I can play unless I decide to skip around in the timeline but I really don’t wanna do that.

Understandable. When you were born, I had traded in my NES for an SNES by then. Side-scrolling Beat-em-ups and arcade games kinda died out around the early 2000s when consoles and home PCs became more common-place. You still had the 2D fighter genre, but it wasn't the same.

According to GameFAQs, it looks like you have access to Double Dragon I through IV on the PS4. 5 and 6 were never ported and Neon doesn't appear to be listed. At least you won't be out of order.

Edit: It looks like Double Dragon Neon was released for PS3. Do you have backwards compatibility on your PS4?

mastersord fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Apr 19, 2021

HappyCreatedInc
Mar 24, 2021

mastersord posted:

Understandable. When you were born, I had traded in my NES for an SNES by then. Side-scrolling Beat-em-ups and arcade games kinda died out around the early 2000s when consoles and home PCs became more common-place. You still had the 2D fighter genre, but it wasn't the same.

According to GameFAQs, it looks like you have access to Double Dragon I through IV on the PS4. 5 and 6 were never ported and Neon doesn't appear to be listed. At least you won't be out of order.

Edit: It looks like Double Dragon Neon was released for PS3. Do you have backwards compatibility on your PS4?

That’s the thing, there’s a lot of games between the numbered titles. The next one after The Sacred Stones that I’m playing now is Super Double Dragon and that’s only available on SNES. That one included there’s 6 games between The Sacred Stones and Neon that I can’t play. I want to play them chronologically.

I can get Neon on PS4, though but it’s through the PS Now subscription thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyCreatedInc
Mar 24, 2021
Here’s the first part of Double Dragon 3: The Sacred Stones and you’ll see but I grow to hate it. I recorded 3 episodes of it.

https://youtu.be/TfLpb9Hy6FA

Until I figure out how I’m going to play the next game in line, Super Double Dragon, this might be the last in the series sadly, hopefully not though. I have ideas and plans.