Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat

HappyCreatedInc posted:

Here’s the first part of Double Dragon 3: The Sacred Stones and you’ll see but I grow to hate it. I recorded 3 episodes of it.

https://youtu.be/TfLpb9Hy6FA

Until I figure out how I’m going to play the next game in line, Super Double Dragon, this might be the last in the series sadly, hopefully not though. I have ideas and plans.

Welcome to my childhood! MUWAHAHAHA!!

Yeah. Back in my day we didn't have fancy things like "lives" and "continues". Well actually we had those but you never knew how or even if a game was gonna implement them. NES games were a wild west of arcade ports, exclusives, and experiments. Developers didn't understand how to balance the difficulty and kids just kept at it until they "got gud" as they put it. I played Ninja Gaiden 1 (you should check out Fionordequester's LP on youtube of that game) for almost a year, just to get good enough to reach Stage 6. Newer games have gotten a bit easier over time because developers are trying to sell more games in less time. You might get a game that takes 40 or more hours to complete, but they're designed more to keep you moving through the content so you have time to buy the next title. It's both good and bad in my opinion but now at least there's people studying and adjusting difficulties.

The "unlock other characters" thing was also a feature in Castlevania III.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyCreatedInc
Mar 24, 2021

mastersord posted:

Welcome to my childhood! MUWAHAHAHA!!

Yeah. Back in my day we didn't have fancy things like "lives" and "continues". Well actually we had those but you never knew how or even if a game was gonna implement them. NES games were a wild west of arcade ports, exclusives, and experiments. Developers didn't understand how to balance the difficulty and kids just kept at it until they "got gud" as they put it. I played Ninja Gaiden 1 (you should check out Fionordequester's LP on youtube of that game) for almost a year, just to get good enough to reach Stage 6. Newer games have gotten a bit easier over time because developers are trying to sell more games in less time. You might get a game that takes 40 or more hours to complete, but they're designed more to keep you moving through the content so you have time to buy the next title. It's both good and bad in my opinion but now at least there's people studying and adjusting difficulties.

The "unlock other characters" thing was also a feature in Castlevania III.

Yeah NES games are super tough, I actually did play and finish Ninja Gaiden not too long ago but I’d love to watch a let’s play, I’ll check it out! Also played, Ghost and Goblins and the original Metroid, NES had a lot of great games. I don’t remember much about what games I played as a kid on the NES besides Mario with my mom and Duck Hunt. So it’s cool going back and playing some!

Newer games being made more easy is both good and bad. For example I’m still upset how water downed and easy Skyrim was compared to Morrowind but I’m just thankful there’s devs out there that still make difficult games. Plus adjustable difficulties, like you said. Not every games needs to be extremely difficult and not every game needs to dumbed down simple, it’s nice we have more variety now.

HappyCreatedInc
Mar 24, 2021
The next part of Double Dragon 3: The Sacred Stones is up.

https://youtu.be/2BVgNSLOz-Q

HappyCreatedInc
Mar 24, 2021
You’ll see in the next episode but basically I hated The Sacred Stones and I talked A LOT of poo poo about it and the NES ports of Double Dragon afterwards but tonight I bought the Double Dragon 2 NES port and boy was I wrong about the NES versions. Sacred Stones still sucked but 2 on NES is really loving good, great even. I’m gonna do a video on it.

While on the subject, I decided since I couldn’t play every game in the series due to money/not being able to emulate them I skipped ahead to what I could play. Double Dragon Neon, the remake of 2 on 360 arcade and 4, which is the last/latest game in the series. I’ve already done videos on Neon and the remake of 2.

I got ok views and interest on the first video or two but it’s since wound way down so for those who care you can expect at the very least 5 more videos.

HappyCreatedInc
Mar 24, 2021
The finale of The Sacred Stones.

https://youtu.be/kECwAOu1cOc

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
I decided to boot up Double Dragon 3 for the NES to see how frustrating it really is. Although I've never played it before, an hour or 3 of save state spamming and I learned a few things that might help:

The enemy AI seems to only dodge your jump kicks if you try to hit them right after they get up. Try knocking an enemy down and walking back a few steps so they get up and start moving in. Once they are on their feet and standing, they rarely if ever seem to duck and dodge.

Enemy AI favors being aligned with you. The enemy AI can only run at you and hit you if you stand still or at least stay in their vertical hit-box (where you are in the foreground/background/z-axis. It's hard to explain, but where up and down take you in this game). If you see an enemy coming at you, move up and/or down and they will stop short and try to re-align with you, which also puts them in range of a jump-kick. You can buy a bit of time and space by moving diagonally because the enemy cannot run up and down and is slower when moving diagonally. I've cheesed the boss of stage 4 by being slightly below or above and timing my jump kick to where and when he re-aligns with me.

It's hard to explain this stuff but it kinda clicked with me while i was playing. I think you might be able to see some of it in this long play I found

HappyCreatedInc
Mar 24, 2021

mastersord posted:

I decided to boot up Double Dragon 3 for the NES to see how frustrating it really is. Although I've never played it before, an hour or 3 of save state spamming and I learned a few things that might help:

The enemy AI seems to only dodge your jump kicks if you try to hit them right after they get up. Try knocking an enemy down and walking back a few steps so they get up and start moving in. Once they are on their feet and standing, they rarely if ever seem to duck and dodge.

Enemy AI favors being aligned with you. The enemy AI can only run at you and hit you if you stand still or at least stay in their vertical hit-box (where you are in the foreground/background/z-axis. It's hard to explain, but where up and down take you in this game). If you see an enemy coming at you, move up and/or down and they will stop short and try to re-align with you, which also puts them in range of a jump-kick. You can buy a bit of time and space by moving diagonally because the enemy cannot run up and down and is slower when moving diagonally. I've cheesed the boss of stage 4 by being slightly below or above and timing my jump kick to where and when he re-aligns with me.

It's hard to explain this stuff but it kinda clicked with me while i was playing. I think you might be able to see some of it in this long play I found

Nice detective work! I didn’t know the first tip about them dodging the spin kick, that could of came in helpful.

I did already know about second one, so far all of the games have been like that to some extent. I think the main source of frustration for me came from feeling like I wasn’t at all equipped to deal with enemies? Like, for example, in DD2, you have your fast punches, you backwards kicks for when they’re behind you that also has better range, your flying kick, you spinning kick and your elbow move. In The Sacred Stones it felt like the only viable move was the spinning kick, everything else just didn’t seem to do much.

Did you find it as frustrating as I did? I might had a better time if I hadn’t of just come from DD2 that had the best fighting system so far in these games and even The Rosetta Stone felt like I had more options.

Pea
Nov 25, 2005
Friendly neighbourhood vegetable
I've been quietly watching along since the first video. There's a refreshing quality to watching you play that you don't really ever see anymore in LPs nowadays. The failed attempts, the off-camera interruptions, chatter with the gf, hot dog breaks and so on. While it may not be for everyone, I have really enjoyed watching your videos. In part because that lack of polish added to the nostalgia factor for me.

These first 3 games were a big part of my childhood. Double Dragon dominated the arcades, a friend owned Double Dragon 2 and I owned Double Dragon 3: The Sacred Stones on NES as a kid. Watching you struggle through it and slowly descending into madness was very recognizable. I burst out laughing several times during part 3 of 3 because of the bullshit the game put you through. That first time you entered the pyramid was some peak Double Dragon last level bullshit. :discourse: Hearing your growing desperation just made it all the more relatable.
From what I can remember, I never finished the game and only got to the final fight once where the game quickly made it apparent that it was turning the bullshit moves up to 11.

However, I do think the game was intended to be played with 2 players. It's easier to avoid being stunlocked and I'm not mistaken the total number of enemies you face during each mission is the same regardless of whether you play alone or with 2 players. At the very least, in single player you face more than 50% of what you face in 2-player mode. Additionally, there are some moves you can only perform if you're playing with 2 players. For example, that triangle kick where you jump into the arms of the other player and then do a flying kick in the other direction. Which in single player mode you could only do by jumping into a wall. There's also a 2 player hurricane kick.
If nothing else, 2 player mode gave you Bimmy Lee. :downs:

Also,despite doing a few somersaults, you never managed to connect with the enemy, which is a pity as that was the coolest move of all to 9 year old me. It might have helped vent some frustration when performed near a pit.

In closing, the videos about the sacred stones showed me that I had some serious rose-tinted glasses on when it comes to this game. I don't know how it was developed, but it does seem like this game was rushed out to keep riding the success of the earlier games without much thought given about what made those fun to play or providing a good story.

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat

HappyCreatedInc posted:

Nice detective work! I didn’t know the first tip about them dodging the spin kick, that could of came in helpful.

I did already know about second one, so far all of the games have been like that to some extent. I think the main source of frustration for me came from feeling like I wasn’t at all equipped to deal with enemies? Like, for example, in DD2, you have your fast punches, you backwards kicks for when they’re behind you that also has better range, your flying kick, you spinning kick and your elbow move. In The Sacred Stones it felt like the only viable move was the spinning kick, everything else just didn’t seem to do much.

Did you find it as frustrating as I did? I might had a better time if I hadn’t of just come from DD2 that had the best fighting system so far in these games and even The Rosetta Stone felt like I had more options.

In 2 and i think in 1 as well, it seemed like a lot of enemies went down after like 1 or 2 KOs. In 3, it can take upwards of 7+ jump kick KOs to kill even normal enemies (I just checked and the very first guy you fight in stage 1 takes 4 jump kicks to die) . Bosses go down between 15 and 30 jump-kick KOs. It's still a relatively short game so I beat it in 3-4 hours but holding A+B and diagonal on my gamepad and remembering to hit B in the air at the right time constantly, is starting to cramp my right hand. The worst ones are the ninjas in stage 3 as they love to jump back and slide kick from off-screen and then throw stars when they have half a screen distance from you. They run more and seem a bit faster and dodgier than everything else in the game (except maybe Ranzou).

It's frustrating but not the worst I've dealt with. I think the fact that enemies take forever to go down is the roughest part of the game though.

HappyCreatedInc
Mar 24, 2021

mastersord posted:

In 2 and i think in 1 as well, it seemed like a lot of enemies went down after like 1 or 2 KOs. In 3, it can take upwards of 7+ jump kick KOs to kill even normal enemies (I just checked and the very first guy you fight in stage 1 takes 4 jump kicks to die) . Bosses go down between 15 and 30 jump-kick KOs. It's still a relatively short game so I beat it in 3-4 hours but holding A+B and diagonal on my gamepad and remembering to hit B in the air at the right time constantly, is starting to cramp my right hand. The worst ones are the ninjas in stage 3 as they love to jump back and slide kick from off-screen and then throw stars when they have half a screen distance from you. They run more and seem a bit faster and dodgier than everything else in the game (except maybe Ranzou).

It's frustrating but not the worst I've dealt with. I think the fact that enemies take forever to go down is the roughest part of the game though.

I think I mentioned that in one of the videos, yeah that was definitely awful and would of helped a lot had enemies not been so drat tanky.

HappyCreatedInc
Mar 24, 2021

Pea posted:

I've been quietly watching along since the first video. There's a refreshing quality to watching you play that you don't really ever see anymore in LPs nowadays. The failed attempts, the off-camera interruptions, chatter with the gf, hot dog breaks and so on. While it may not be for everyone, I have really enjoyed watching your videos. In part because that lack of polish added to the nostalgia factor for me.

These first 3 games were a big part of my childhood. Double Dragon dominated the arcades, a friend owned Double Dragon 2 and I owned Double Dragon 3: The Sacred Stones on NES as a kid. Watching you struggle through it and slowly descending into madness was very recognizable. I burst out laughing several times during part 3 of 3 because of the bullshit the game put you through. That first time you entered the pyramid was some peak Double Dragon last level bullshit. :discourse: Hearing your growing desperation just made it all the more relatable.
From what I can remember, I never finished the game and only got to the final fight once where the game quickly made it apparent that it was turning the bullshit moves up to 11.

However, I do think the game was intended to be played with 2 players. It's easier to avoid being stunlocked and I'm not mistaken the total number of enemies you face during each mission is the same regardless of whether you play alone or with 2 players. At the very least, in single player you face more than 50% of what you face in 2-player mode. Additionally, there are some moves you can only perform if you're playing with 2 players. For example, that triangle kick where you jump into the arms of the other player and then do a flying kick in the other direction. Which in single player mode you could only do by jumping into a wall. There's also a 2 player hurricane kick.
If nothing else, 2 player mode gave you Bimmy Lee. :downs:

Also,despite doing a few somersaults, you never managed to connect with the enemy, which is a pity as that was the coolest move of all to 9 year old me. It might have helped vent some frustration when performed near a pit.

In closing, the videos about the sacred stones showed me that I had some serious rose-tinted glasses on when it comes to this game. I don't know how it was developed, but it does seem like this game was rushed out to keep riding the success of the earlier games without much thought given about what made those fun to play or providing a good story.

That’s actually really nice to hear. I’ve been I feeling partly down due to low interest in the series and I even told myself I might quit YouTube after it was over but that was really nice and makes me want to keep doing it. I’m having a lot of fun with it!

I never considered The Sacred Stones might of been made specifically for co-op! Maybe if I go back to it I’ll try to get the gf to help me. I’ve honestly been trying to get her to play any of these games with me but she’s not interested which I don’t fully get because the main genre of games we play together are fighting games and what is Double Dragon if not just a fighting games with extra walking?

I’m glad it wasn’t just me that realized this game was kind of awful lol.

But lastly, if you liked my not so serious let’s play style, wait until the next video where I play Double Dragon Neon except I could only get it on 360 and I don’t have any way to capture the screen so I just set up my phone on my bed and recorded the screen like a caveman.

HappyCreatedInc
Mar 24, 2021
Double Dragon Neon is here.

It’s only the demo and I had to record it with my phone propped up on my bed just pointing at the tv screen so the quality is terrible but the game is great. First modern Double Dragon and I think they kind of nailed it.

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
For the Switch, it's $15 on the eShop (plus tax). You can get Double dragon I, II, III, IV, and Neon on the Switch, each for under $20 (and some under $10) on the eShop. However, you would need to figure out a screen capture solution or record off your TV using a Pro controller and your phone.

Gameplay spoilers below:

This game appears to reintroduce the unlockable skills and shops from Rosetta Stones, but enemies drop currency and "tapes" (what you use to unlock special skills and stances). I'm still reading a bit on GameFAQs, but this game expects you to revisit and repeat stages a lot. You will need to farm each of the 12 normal enemy types (you've met 3 so far) through 10 stages for all 20 tape drops (10 stances + 10 specials or "Sosetsitsu") plus cash (to use at the shops to buy tapes you don't feel like farming). Each tape starts at level 1 with a level cap of 10. Every time you pick up or buy a duplicate of that tape, you gain a level. You can increase the level cap by farming Mythril from stage bosses and using it at the tape smith shop at the end of certain stages. This is a grind-type game. Enjoy!

Edit: Oh man! you stopped at the best part!

mastersord fucked around with this message at 06:33 on May 10, 2021

HappyCreatedInc
Mar 24, 2021

mastersord posted:

For the Switch, it's $15 on the eShop (plus tax). You can get Double dragon I, II, III, IV, and Neon on the Switch, each for under $20 (and some under $10) on the eShop. However, you would need to figure out a screen capture solution or record off your TV using a Pro controller and your phone.

Gameplay spoilers below:

This game appears to reintroduce the unlockable skills and shops from Rosetta Stones, but enemies drop currency and "tapes" (what you use to unlock special skills and stances). I'm still reading a bit on GameFAQs, but this game expects you to revisit and repeat stages a lot. You will need to farm each of the 12 normal enemy types (you've met 3 so far) through 10 stages for all 20 tape drops (10 stances + 10 specials or "Sosetsitsu") plus cash (to use at the shops to buy tapes you don't feel like farming). Each tape starts at level 1 with a level cap of 10. Every time you pick up or buy a duplicate of that tape, you gain a level. You can increase the level cap by farming Mythril from stage bosses and using it at the tape smith shop at the end of certain stages. This is a grind-type game. Enjoy!

Edit: Oh man! you stopped at the best part!

I have a switch lite so I can’t dock it to my tv but I could probably set up my phone to record it as I was holding it or just get the 360 version.

Ohh I don’t know if I’d like the extra grind of it, it could be fun though.

Oh poo poo I did? I only recorded one video for the demo but if that’s the case I might have to do another one, or buy the full game!

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
Th game is a cheesy 80s nostalgia-fest and it's really good and very forgiving! You don't HAVE to grind, but it does help if you level and upgrade your tapes. It took me about 2 hours to max cap and level a stance and skill tape and the game becomes a bit of a joke on normal difficulty when you do, but it's there if you need it and it's there if you need a reason to replay the game. You'd need about 200 boss kills or 40 complete runs of the game to max all the caps and then quite a few more rounds to max out all the skills (though I'm not sure if there are better rewards on higher difficulties). Continues are unlimited, lives are plentiful, and you keep everything you pick up whether you beat a level, die, or go back to stage select. The controls are quite complex even for just a game-pad. I finished it at 4 hours and 50 minutes including grinding last night and a bit of back-tracking just because I was curious. It's a real love-letter to the series and the 80s and all I would add is a sequel or 3.

The soundtrack really makes the game!

mastersord fucked around with this message at 01:44 on May 11, 2021

HappyCreatedInc
Mar 24, 2021

mastersord posted:

Th game is a cheesy 80s nostalgia-fest and it's really good and very forgiving! You don't HAVE to grind, but it does help if you level and upgrade your tapes. It took me about 2 hours to max cap and level a stance and skill tape and the game becomes a bit of a joke on normal difficulty when you do, but it's there if you need it and it's there if you need a reason to replay the game. You'd need about 200 boss kills or 40 complete runs of the game to max all the caps and then quite a few more rounds to max out all the skills (though I'm not sure if there are better rewards on higher difficulties). Continues are unlimited, lives are plentiful, and you keep everything you pick up whether you beat a level, die, or go back to stage select. The controls are quite complex even for just a game-pad. I finished it at 4 hours and 50 minutes including grinding last night and a bit of back-tracking just because I was curious. It's a real love-letter to the series and the 80s and all I would add is a sequel or 3.

The soundtrack really makes the game!

I mean just from the demo I loved it. I’m planning on doing a list of all of the Double Dragon games I’ve played so far and Neon is definitely gonna be up there! Did you play it/beat it recently?

The only reason I didn’t do a full playthrough of it for the series is because of money issues.

I’m currently playing through/recording Double Dragon 4 and it’s actually really loving good too!

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
I beat it yesterday on the train home. The higher difficulties DO give better rewards but are, well, "tougher".

HappyCreatedInc
Mar 24, 2021
The weird remake of Double Dragon 2 is here.

It was kind of ok, the demo was a bit too short to get a good feel for it but this episode is good because it’s right after I watched the Double Dragon movie and I go in-depth talking about it. I liked it.

Also, I’m currently recording Double Dragon 4 on PS4 and it has this online duel function and I’ve tried multiple times to find someone to fight but of course I haven’t. So if anyone here has the game and wants to hop on for a fight or two I’ll record it and put it in a video.

HappyCreatedInc fucked around with this message at 23:51 on May 12, 2021

HappyCreatedInc
Mar 24, 2021
Heres the first part of Double Dragon 4, the newest game in the series.

And it’s actually really good, like super awesome good.

Also, it took me 3 videos to beat it.

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
Your audio is too muffled from the game music now, so I may be miss-hearing you

9:50- Where did you hear 3 months between LPs? I know that ChaosArgate and Fionordequester are both doing 2 LPS each at the same time and I've definitely seen people stop one LP to start another in the past.

12:00- There was a thread in Games where they discussed scrolling shoot-em-ups: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3520923.

15:01- Sigma Star Saga. I played that one and I think it's been LPed here before. It's got a good story and a lot of heart but the shooting sections were fairly easy and a bit repetitive

HappyCreatedInc
Mar 24, 2021

mastersord posted:

Your audio is too muffled from the game music now, so I may be miss-hearing you

9:50- Where did you hear 3 months between LPs? I know that ChaosArgate and Fionordequester are both doing 2 LPS each at the same time and I've definitely seen people stop one LP to start another in the past.

12:00- There was a thread in Games where they discussed scrolling shoot-em-ups: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3520923.

15:01- Sigma Star Saga. I played that one and I think it's been LPed here before. It's got a good story and a lot of heart but the shooting sections were fairly easy and a bit repetitive

Yeah sadly the game didn’t have any kind of audio options so even though I think these last 3 videos are some of my best commentary they’re also hard to hear. You heard me right on all counts though so there’s that.

I was reading through the Sandcastle thread and on the first page several people were talking about a 3 month rule so I thought that was a thing. If you’re saying it’s not that’s great! I wasn’t looking forward to spending 3 months before doing my next LP here. All though I’m still not sure what to do.

Oh, thanks, that’ll be a fun read! I can’t remember how much I went into it in the video but I was considering doing an LP of playing through the first 3 Gardius games and in anticipation I bought a collection of them on PS4. Plus a couple of other side scrolling shooters, one being a spin off of Gradius and I tried them but I wasn’t really feeling any of them so now I’m kind of thinking maybe an LP wouldn’t be the best idea. In the collection was the arcade version of Castlevania, though, that could be interesting.

You have? I haven’t talked to anyone else that has! I loved it, i didn’t mind the shooting sections but I vaguely remember not liking the parts where you’re walking around the planets that much, but it’s been a long time since I played it. The story is awesome though. If someone has already done an LP of it maybe I’ll pass on that, too.

The two others I was thinking about was The Deadly Tower of Monsters for PS4 or Nightshade on NES. The latter being harder to do. Also, Red Faction but I’m sure someone has done that but I’d be more ok doing that one regardless, it’s one of my favorite games of all time and it would be fun to replay.

HappyCreatedInc fucked around with this message at 07:04 on May 17, 2021

Pea
Nov 25, 2005
Friendly neighbourhood vegetable

HappyCreatedInc posted:

I was reading through the Sandcastle thread and on the first page several people were talking about a 3 month rule so I thought that was a thing. If you’re saying it’s not that’s great! I wasn’t looking forward to spending 3 months before doing my next LP here. All though I’m still not sure what to do.
Oh, uh... Hi! :eng101: The 3 month rule is a rule that was dropped some years ago. Basically, you had to wait until 3 months after a game's release before you were allowed to post an LP of it.

Double Dragon IV seems heavily inspired by the NES version of Double Dragon II, which is good, it was one of the better games. You also have a nice selection of different moves available, which is also good.
What I don't like is how the game throws 4-6 enemies at you at the same time who then beat you half to death if you mistime a single attack. That just seems weirdly punishing. The guys with the bolas are especially aggravating since they just keep throwing them at you while you're down, which almost guarantees you'll be hit again when you stand up again.

6.49 to 8.06 - Best part of the video. I burst out laughing several times. It's a whole story arc starting with praise for IV, followed by an analysis of II and Sacred Stones, a sudden plot twist as you discover enemies no longer jump to their death to get to you. You bravely take the fight to the enemy only to get the poo poo kicked out of you and are unceremoniously punched into the pit. Then the whole build up culminates in "I changed my mind, gently caress this game" followed by the revenge knee dumping you into the pit again.

35.38 to 35.50 Hot Wheel or real, that's a nice car. Although judging by the next comment, your gf was right to call you out. :colbert:

36.02 - Too real man, too real :smith:

By the way, I visited my parents and apparently they still had my old Double Dragon III NES cartridge, manual and all. The manual really is a treasure trove of information. It straight up tells you:
- Practice your moves in the dojo before going outside.
- Where each mission will take place and that Chin and Ranzou will join you in missions 2 and 3.
and best of all
- There's a table with all the moves for all 4 characters and which buttons to press to perform them.

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
Ah! I remember that rule. Back in the day, emulation of new systems and homebrew hacks were coming out so fast that people were able to get and play games before they hit the stores! It was kind of a way to prevent spoilers. LPs were still kinda niche and are still in a bit of a grey area, so that rule was instituted to keep lawyers at bay.

Yeah, I played SSS when it came out. I even posted in a GameFAQs thread made by one of the developers when he was asking for feedback. The main problem was that the GBA was not optimized for shooters. You ended up with a very small screen, slow frame rate, and not a lot of processing power, plus a lot of games could not do sound well on the GBA for some strange reason. This game has some sound clipping issues which I noticed on some of the GBA ports. Other titles down-scaled their sound to be more like an NES chip-tune. The concept of SSS was pretty cool though! If it were me, I would've further developed it with more advanced systems or even some "bullet hell"-type scenarios, which would mean I would've tried for a console instead of the GBA. So much more could've been done if they let the idea bake for like 10 more years.

HappyCreatedInc
Mar 24, 2021

Pea posted:

Oh, uh... Hi! :eng101: The 3 month rule is a rule that was dropped some years ago. Basically, you had to wait until 3 months after a game's release before you were allowed to post an LP of it.

Double Dragon IV seems heavily inspired by the NES version of Double Dragon II, which is good, it was one of the better games. You also have a nice selection of different moves available, which is also good.
What I don't like is how the game throws 4-6 enemies at you at the same time who then beat you half to death if you mistime a single attack. That just seems weirdly punishing. The guys with the bolas are especially aggravating since they just keep throwing them at you while you're down, which almost guarantees you'll be hit again when you stand up again.

6.49 to 8.06 - Best part of the video. I burst out laughing several times. It's a whole story arc starting with praise for IV, followed by an analysis of II and Sacred Stones, a sudden plot twist as you discover enemies no longer jump to their death to get to you. You bravely take the fight to the enemy only to get the poo poo kicked out of you and are unceremoniously punched into the pit. Then the whole build up culminates in "I changed my mind, gently caress this game" followed by the revenge knee dumping you into the pit again.

35.38 to 35.50 Hot Wheel or real, that's a nice car. Although judging by the next comment, your gf was right to call you out. :colbert:

36.02 - Too real man, too real :smith:

By the way, I visited my parents and apparently they still had my old Double Dragon III NES cartridge, manual and all. The manual really is a treasure trove of information. It straight up tells you:
- Practice your moves in the dojo before going outside.
- Where each mission will take place and that Chin and Ranzou will join you in missions 2 and 3.
and best of all
- There's a table with all the moves for all 4 characters and which buttons to press to perform them.

Ohh, I completely misunderstood that rule! I’m glad I’m free to do another LP after this one right away, then!

Yeah for sure, the amount of moves is so loving nice. But the enemy spam is a little much in this game. I think beat em up games would still be popular if they were made right. Can you imagine a modern one where it’s similar to fighting games with its move sets and combos? That would be amazing.

I thought I was pretty funny in the video lol. I think the whole LP of DD4 I had some of my best commentary I’ve ever done so I’m happy someone is enjoying it.

Oh man, video game manuals, a relic of the past that I actually miss a lot.

HappyCreatedInc
Mar 24, 2021

mastersord posted:

Ah! I remember that rule. Back in the day, emulation of new systems and homebrew hacks were coming out so fast that people were able to get and play games before they hit the stores! It was kind of a way to prevent spoilers. LPs were still kinda niche and are still in a bit of a grey area, so that rule was instituted to keep lawyers at bay.

Yeah, I played SSS when it came out. I even posted in a GameFAQs thread made by one of the developers when he was asking for feedback. The main problem was that the GBA was not optimized for shooters. You ended up with a very small screen, slow frame rate, and not a lot of processing power, plus a lot of games could not do sound well on the GBA for some strange reason. This game has some sound clipping issues which I noticed on some of the GBA ports. Other titles down-scaled their sound to be more like an NES chip-tune. The concept of SSS was pretty cool though! If it were me, I would've further developed it with more advanced systems or even some "bullet hell"-type scenarios, which would mean I would've tried for a console instead of the GBA. So much more could've been done if they let the idea bake for like 10 more years.

I’m learning a lot about the history of let’s plays and it’s kind of awesome. Someone should write a book about it all. I’m a writer but not a very good one, plus I mostly write poetry and stuff gothic horror type stuff.

Oh man, SSS on console would of been the poo poo! Maybe one day we’ll get a sequel on console, we won’t but that would be cool.

HappyCreatedInc
Mar 24, 2021
More DD4. I don’t remember what I talked about in this video but we’re getting close to the end.

HappyCreatedInc
Mar 24, 2021
The finale of DD4 and technically the series except I have a couple more bonus videos I want to post that’s worth doing.

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat

7:53- *Parodius was an interesting series but it has some Japanese in-jokes that will be hard to understand. I know 2 of them are on SNES and I think there's a 3rd on Arcade and possibly a 4th on Playstation 1 (if you can find it). There was a related LP of the entire Gradius series which touched on these games but didn't go into too much depth. Here it is

8:34- This one reminds me of the Clock Tower stages in all the old Castlevania games, especially III and Super/IV. The good news is they slowed it all down here so you don't need to rush through. The bad news is DD's Jump arc is hard to control and doesn't allow you to correct it mid-fall. You need to adjust so that you jump from the back of the first lift and try and catch the second while it is going up. The second set of gears messes with your head a bit. You expect the first gear to turn first but actually the 3rd gear spins first, followed by the second and then a pause before the first gear spins, and then a pause before the cycle starts again. The wall, you just have to watch and hope it's always those 2-3 blocks that jut out.

*I thought I heard you mention it. Your game audio for this game is still too loud. If you were referring to Gradius, that link still stands, but you might want to check it out before it gets archived as it hasn't been updated since 2016.

mastersord fucked around with this message at 23:36 on May 23, 2021

HappyCreatedInc
Mar 24, 2021

mastersord posted:

7:53- *Parodius was an interesting series but it has some Japanese in-jokes that will be hard to understand. I know 2 of them are on SNES and I think there's a 3rd on Arcade and possibly a 4th on Playstation 1 (if you can find it). There was a related LP of the entire Gradius series which touched on these games but didn't go into too much depth. Here it is

8:34- This one reminds me of the Clock Tower stages in all the old Castlevania games, especially III and Super/IV. The good news is they slowed it all down here so you don't need to rush through. The bad news is DD's Jump arc is hard to control and doesn't allow you to correct it mid-fall. You need to adjust so that you jump from the back of the first lift and try and catch the second while it is going up. The second set of gears messes with your head a bit. You expect the first gear to turn first but actually the 3rd gear spins first, followed by the second and then a pause before the first gear spins, and then a pause before the cycle starts again. The wall, you just have to watch and hope it's always those 2-3 blocks that jut out.

*I thought I heard you mention it. Your game audio for this game is still too loud. If you were referring to Gradius, that link still stands, but you might want to check it out before it gets archived as it hasn't been updated since 2016.

Yeah I was talking about Gradius, you heard me right. I’ll check out that thread, thanks! I had my heart set on that being my next LP so in anticipation I was playing some of the first couple games but I just wasn’t really feeling them so I don’t think I want to LP them.

Oh yeah you’re right, it’s been so long since I played a Castlevania game and I think I only ever finished Castlevania The Adventure on gameboy.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

I caught the ending and I was like "isn't this just Double Dragon 2"?

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat

ulmont posted:

I caught the ending and I was like "isn't this just Double Dragon 2"?

I,IV, and Neon are pretty much different games with the same basic plot. II got edgy in that Marian was shot to death but she got better by III when she got kidnapped again and got turned into a Cleopatra. In IV she just gets kidnapped again. Neon is a bunch of throwbacks to the first 3 and some other 80s and 90s nostalgia. I haven't played IV yet, but I think I like the way Neon handled things better.

HappyCreatedInc
Mar 24, 2021

mastersord posted:

I,IV, and Neon are pretty much different games with the same basic plot. II got edgy in that Marian was shot to death but she got better by III when she got kidnapped again and got turned into a Cleopatra. In IV she just gets kidnapped again. Neon is a bunch of throwbacks to the first 3 and some other 80s and 90s nostalgia. I haven't played IV yet, but I think I like the way Neon handled things better.

I didn’t get to play Neon fully but I think I personally liked how they were going with the first three games, each one kind of one upping the next with 3 being ridiculous and dumb. I kind of wish they had just kept doing that.

From what I did play and see of Neon, though, I did like the story better than IV for sure. IV was kind of annoying with it being just “chase these bad guys, catch up to them and they get away” type thing. And that ending, ugh.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

mastersord posted:

I,IV, and Neon are pretty much different games with the same basic plot.

I meant the controls and graphics for IV looked almost identical to II.

HappyCreatedInc
Mar 24, 2021

ulmont posted:

I meant the controls and graphics for IV looked almost identical to II.

Yeah they’re very similar. Speaking of, I just uploaded a bonus episode of the NES Version of DD2.

HappyCreatedInc
Mar 24, 2021
Heres the last bonus episode of the series.

And probably the last episode of the series in general. I just recently got the Sega Collection or whatever it’s called on PS4 and while going through the games I noticed a lot of beat em ups so I wanted to show off some of competition of Double Dragon.

Comix Zone is loving rad.

Thanks to everyone that watched the videos and commented in the thread, it was really fun!

HappyCreatedInc fucked around with this message at 06:05 on May 28, 2021

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
So you're not gonna finish Neon?

HappyCreatedInc
Mar 24, 2021

mastersord posted:

So you're not gonna finish Neon?

I planned on doing that on my own since I don’t have a better way to record it.

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011
I like the Double Dragon movie. It sits in the same general area as the Street Fighter movie with Van Damme does for me. Don't take anything too seriously and just enjoy watching stunt guys getting tossed around and the bad guy chewing scenery.

The last beat-em-up I played was the one based on Cobra Kai. I wound up hitting a wall on one boss encounter and never went back to it. It had been pretty fun up to that point, though. Lots of crazy special attacks you unlock in a skill tree between levels, though I think the game expects you to farm earlier levels to get better combo scores to unlock more stuff.

Not sure why Cobra Kai have elemental flame powers and Miyagi-Do have elemental ice powers, but I chalk that up to dramatic license.

Congrats on finishing your first LP!

HappyCreatedInc
Mar 24, 2021

Quiet Python posted:

I like the Double Dragon movie. It sits in the same general area as the Street Fighter movie with Van Damme does for me. Don't take anything too seriously and just enjoy watching stunt guys getting tossed around and the bad guy chewing scenery.

The last beat-em-up I played was the one based on Cobra Kai. I wound up hitting a wall on one boss encounter and never went back to it. It had been pretty fun up to that point, though. Lots of crazy special attacks you unlock in a skill tree between levels, though I think the game expects you to farm earlier levels to get better combo scores to unlock more stuff.

Not sure why Cobra Kai have elemental flame powers and Miyagi-Do have elemental ice powers, but I chalk that up to dramatic license.

Congrats on finishing your first LP!

Oh that’s a good comparison, I agree. I need to rewatch that, too. And the Mortal Kombat movie from 95.

I’ve never seen Cobra Kai so I’m not sure what game you’re talking about.

Thank you! It was so much fun. I’ve been doing YouTube for a long time but I rarely finished LPs because no one is watching it or cares and I just get down on myself but this one, I felt a lot more motivated to keep going because some people were watching it and enjoying it! Interacting with me along the way. I hope my next LP does half as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011

HappyCreatedInc posted:

Oh that’s a good comparison, I agree. I need to rewatch that, too. And the Mortal Kombat movie from 95.

I’ve never seen Cobra Kai so I’m not sure what game you’re talking about.

Thank you! It was so much fun. I’ve been doing YouTube for a long time but I rarely finished LPs because no one is watching it or cares and I just get down on myself but this one, I felt a lot more motivated to keep going because some people were watching it and enjoying it! Interacting with me along the way. I hope my next LP does half as well.

Cobra Kai is the continuation of the story from the Karate Kid movies. Thirty-four years after their fateful battle at the All-Valley Karate tournament, Johnny Lawrence and Daniel Larusso reignite their love of karate and dislike for each other. Their renewed rivalry motivates them to create rival karate dojos and draws a new generation of fighters into the conflict.

It's got three seasons on Netflix with a fourth in the works. The game has you choose either Johnny's Cobra Kai dojo or Daniel's Miyagi-Do dojo and play through the story, but you don't get the whole story (or face the real Final Boss) without completing both story paths. It also adds a bunch of stuff that's not in the series, like the fighters having elemental super powers.

I had fun with it for a bit, but it soon became obvious I wasn't going to make much more progress without getting way better at doing combos and getting a walkthrough to show me how to beat one of the bosses.