Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
boat looking thiccccc

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

Why does every article about this call the boat Ever Given when it says EVERGREEN in enormous fuckoff letters on the side?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
the company that owns it is called evergreen and all their ships are named 'ever <something>'

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

Ok that makes sense.

Anyway this looks like a job for Boaty McBoatface! Somebody light the Boat Signal!

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Ever Stuck

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

A whole drat ship full of squatch and no one is allowing them to get out and tug

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Why don't they just lower the canal?

Ventral EggSac
Dec 3, 2019

Canal turned into a Can'tnal

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

runnypoops
Mar 26, 2016

been there. done that. prove yourself to me.
Pssh i,ve seen bigger

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Dandywalken posted:

Just due to time, or are there other factors?

If you have to sail around South Africa you have to deal with a bunch of Afrikaners chasing you down in speedboats so they can offer you rooibos and then trap you into listening to them complaining about the "blecks."

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
In the boating business it's called the Suez Anal because that's where poo poo gets hosed

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
I'll need three ships and 50 stout men. We'll sail 'round the horn and return with spices and silk the likes of which ye have never seen.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Lmfao

For those who don’t get this, there is a bridge with only 11’8” clearance that trucks blast through and get hosed up on so often that there’s a YouTube channel devoted to the crashes. No amount of signage, warnings, or flashing lights has stopped these tools.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
Just make a new canal?

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Waterbed Wendy posted:

Just make a new canal?

They could just borrow the Panama one for awhile nobody even uses it

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
dig sideways, stupid

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

They should just ... blow it

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
Just attach a bunch of balloons filled with helium, like in that documentary Up.

a peck of pickled peckers
Aug 3, 2014

I am your Redeemer! It is by my hand that you arise from the ashes of this world!

Why are we still using boats at all?? We have planes now, you dummies! Does our mail still get delivered by people on horses? No!

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015
This will further delay my aliexpress orders.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Current estimate is 1-2 days to unground the ship, according to a TV news item. Lol if the megaship is never allowed in the Canal again and the greedhead owners lose a fortune.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf

BigBadSteve posted:

Current estimate is 1-2 days to unground the ship, according to a TV news item. Lol if the megaship is never allowed in the Canal again and the greedhead owners lose a fortune.

The captain is straight up gonna get executed for this lol

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
apparently it was due to a dust storm with big wind gusts but :shrug: this (ships getting stuck) doesn't seem to happen very often

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
is 2021, why cant boats just convert to land mode on the fly?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I can relate to this. Yesterday I took a big ol poo and the toilet clogged up so bad. I plunged and plunged and it didn't get it. I was this close to calling a plumber but right before I dialed the number it dislodged.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

AEMINAL posted:

The captain is straight up gonna get executed for this lol

ROC not PRC.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

have they considered rescuing the boat by filling the atmosphere with more carbon in order to raise global temperatures, ultimately raising the sea level due to glacial meltwater inflows and density changes?

might be an idea worth looking into

GRECOROMANGRABASS
May 14, 2020
Yikes. Going south of Africa is uhh.. let's say "sub-optimal" for cargo ships this time of the year. September to April is cyclone and hurricane season for the region. The South Indian Ocean is metal as gently caress.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

Weka posted:

ROC not PRC.

What about the Chinese ships he's blocking tho huh

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Bad Purchase posted:

have they considered rescuing the boat by filling the atmosphere with more carbon in order to raise global temperatures, ultimately raising the sea level due to glacial meltwater inflows and density changes?

might be an idea worth looking into

But if the weather gets colder, the boat might shrink enough to get unstuck.

We're at an impasse, Indo.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

Jose Oquendo posted:

I can relate to this. Yesterday I took a big ol poo and the toilet clogged up so bad. I plunged and plunged and it didn't get it. I was this close to calling a plumber but right before I dialed the number it dislodged.

Just pee a few times on the poo poo smear stuck to the porcelain, clears it right up

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
Boat gotta horn stuck in mud. We have all been there.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

Weka posted:

ROC not PRC.

this is costing fortunes every second lol. some stockholder is gonna shank him

e: my bet is queen elizabeth

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

a mysterious cloak posted:

The captain is probably one of those assholes that cuts across 3 lanes of highway traffic so he doesn't miss his exit

it's funny you mention this, because there was a tweet claiming to be from someone on the ship stuck behind them (fairly trustworthy since it included pictures) that said the ever given cut them off to slide into the canal ahead.

GRECOROMANGRABASS
May 14, 2020
Which straight or canal is it that you have to pay the local authority to board your vessel and navigate it through the passage for you? I remember someone talking about it and saying that despite being very well-compensated for their assistance, the hired crew will steal anything that isn't nailed down in the bridge. Pencils, pens, used tampons, tonsil stones in a kleenex from a trash bin, etc.,

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I bet he's REAL embarrassed that his big boat is all stuck after he was JUST bragging about how it never gets stuck and he's such a good boat driver and all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Is this groverboat?