Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

THS posted:

lol ok. keep the thread going for now though. the thread has only been up a couple hours, not a lot of people have had a chance to offer their opinions, and I have been one of the top posters. I’m also one of the worst posters, so get some more feedback

otoh a lot of people might not bother giving feedback because they don’t think it actually changes the moderation. the fact that you don’t understand the cynicism and distrust doesn’t inspire confidence in moderator self-criticism and an actual shift going forward

yeah I'm going to step away for a while and see where the discussion goes from here before talking to the other mods about how to respond in full

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Raskolnikov38 posted:

yeah between the destruction of mosques and cemeteries which there is satellite photo evidence of it should be very hard to claim that china is not suppressing uighur cultural identity

But how can you tell from such low resolution images? I’ve always been very skeptical of these claims

e: Nate Russo might claim that a minaret has been demolished between the first and second image but it just looks like two grey blobs from 15k ft up in the air to me

Red and Black has issued a correction as of 21:33 on Mar 24, 2021

Serf
May 5, 2011

THS posted:

lol ok. keep the thread going for now though. the thread has only been up a couple hours, not a lot of people have had a chance to offer their opinions, and I have been one of the top posters. I’m also one of the worst posters, so get some more feedback

otoh a lot of people might not bother giving feedback because they don’t think it actually changes the moderation. the fact that you don’t understand the cynicism and distrust doesn’t inspire confidence in moderator self-criticism and an actual shift going forward

yeah, this is my thinking. it doesn't matter what we say because sa isn't a democracy

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Flavius Aetass posted:

Can everyone live with this?

:thumbsup:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Chomskyan posted:

But how can you tell from such low resolution images? I’ve always been very skeptical of these claims

i mean there are pictures of domed buildings and then several months later theres an empty lot where it was. now if the building was relocated or rebuilt i dunno but my gut instinct would be for the government to not touch religious buildings unless safety issues are at play

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Serf posted:

yeah, this is my thinking. it doesn't matter what we say because sa isn't a democracy

in fairness

neither is china

or the us for that matter

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my opinion about Bernie Sanders and why Donald Trump is his true successor.

You cannot vote Hillary Clinton because she is worse than Trump.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

also the increasingly prevelant need for speaking mandarin or other chinese dialects over native lanaguges causing a decline in fluent speakers of the latter but i'm not sure where to draw the line on that between government mandate enforcement and the effects of a modern industrial state

A good thought experiment is to think about the alternative, if China completely severed from the region. Xinjiang would become its own country and closed off from China with border controls. What would become of the Uyghur population? Would they be able to thrive as the rest of the world develops? Maybe? Would they even be able to retain their original identity and culture, considering the rising influence of radical Islamists in that area? I wonder what Xinjiang would like if the west didn't destabilize the middle east and radicalize a huge portion of muslims.....
In this scenario, where Xinjiag is its own country. what would happen to young people that would want to integrate into the world economy? Wouldn't they have to move to China or the West where no one speaks Uyghur? How would they maintain their culture if they wanted to escape rural poverty (especially as climate change puts immense pressures on the region).

Serf
May 5, 2011

Gringostar posted:

in fairness

neither is china

or the us for that matter

i didn't argue otherwise. but at least if you have an issue with the government you can go protest and get arrested or something. here you can either complain endlessly or just stop posting, neither of which has any real effect

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Kindest Forums User posted:

A good thought experiment is to think about the alternative, if China completely severed from the region. Xinjiang would become its own country and closed off from China with border controls. What would become of the Uyghur population? Would they be able to thrive as the rest of the world develops? Maybe? Would they even be able to retain their original identity and culture, considering the rising influence of radical Islamists in that area? I wonder what Xinjiang would like if the west didn't destabilize the middle east and radicalize a huge portion of muslims.....
In this scenario, where Xinjiag is its own country. what would happen to young people that would want to integrate into the world economy? Wouldn't they have to move to China or the West where no one speaks Uyghur? How would they maintain their culture if they wanted to escape rural poverty (especially as climate change puts immense pressures on the region).

yeah globalized industrialism is driving us to the tower of babel with or without government sanction

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

even if we want to take bellingcat and the guardian seriously (lol) there are 24,000 mosques in xinjiang alone.

Hairy Marionette
Apr 22, 2005

I am not immune to propaganda

America is literally the most powerful place in the world and not one single person who enjoys her spoils are the original inhabitants of the land, or those that participated in the slave or slave-like labour of building the empire.

This is mostly true, but our racism isn’t why we’ve got so much economic power. Our unscathed industrial base post WW2 is the cause. America was a backwaters until WW2 left us with a vast economic advantage over the rest of the world. We’d all be happier and healthier in this country if we weren’t so racist.

I can understand being salty about Americans scolding you about racism (assuming you’re not also American). We’ve always been hypocritical about our stated values and my country of birth has done a lot of harm. Hell, we are easily the most morally culpable country regarding the climate catastrophe. You want to call America a great devil and the destroyer of the world, I can take it.

But don’t tell me that our racism is rational. Our racism has poisoned us. It has turned us against each other. We engage in our incredibly self destructive politics in order to maintain our racism. We hurt each other greatly. We dehumanize each other. We kill each other. Our families break when a child rejects the racism of their parents, or when a child embraces racism in spite of their upbringing. And the racism is turned against those who look like us when said people refuse to participate in said racism.

Don’t be like America. America is evil. Our racism is destroying our country.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

I’ve learned more about what might actually be happening in xinjiang from reading these few pages than I’ve ever been able to from wading through any other information, which usually just leaves me feeling like I can’t believe anything.

it sounds like these informative posts are considered discussion that some people believe is harmful. that seems wrong, and antithetical to this forum

thanks for the good posts, and the bad posts, and the posting

Hairy Marionette
Apr 22, 2005

Yossarian-22 posted:

Sorry I was quoting it to make a point, mostly that it shouldn't be taken out of context. Like I said, it is easy to see the word "evil" in an almost comical way such that it evokes a certain image, at least for me, of Reaganite rhetoric. Would it be right for mods to claim that the way you used "evil" is anti-Chinese racism? Of course not, just as skepticism of Uighur genocide shouldn't be taken to be anti-Uighur racism.

My personal opinion of what you said was more cringe than it was you being wrong, btw. I mostly used it to illustrate a broader point. Sorry if it feels like I used your post as my guinea pig (I kinda did)

:hmmyes:

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

Serf posted:

i didn't argue otherwise. but at least if you have an issue with the government you can go protest and get arrested or something. here you can either complain endlessly or just stop posting, neither of which has any real effect

there's a third option, you can also slam the report button about which directly feeds into someone's queue. the most effective complaining is against posting enemies when you think someone glancing in would get someone probed

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Serf posted:

i don’t know, you could make the analogy that being probated/banned is being put in jail and being permabanned is being murdered by the state

also bitching about the mods is a form of protest but you also run the risk of being punished for it

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
some mod said C-SPAM has to be palatable to a liberal consensus elsewhere in the forums

why? just don't read it, you're the free speech guys

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Unless there's some hard evidence pointing to a mass killing, it seems odd to be probating anyone in c-spam for it.

Hairy Marionette
Apr 22, 2005

Brain Candy posted:

A claim that doing evil has no rational basis is either a very sophisticated or very naive. There's obvious material gain to be had from taking other people's things and labor without consequence and it's far easier to plot the lines of history if you think that the racist bullshit is the justification rather than the cause.

I’m not sure if I’m naive or sophisticated, perhaps a bit of both. I base my ideas of rationality when it comes to race on John Rawls Veil of Ignorance, and from personal experience growing up in a racist place watching the hate and otherization destroy people’s mental health (both the people on the receiving end and the people doing the racism).

Serf
May 5, 2011

Gringostar posted:

i don’t know, you could make the analogy that being probated/banned is being put in jail and being permabanned is being murdered by the state

also bitching about the mods is a form of protest but you also run the risk of being punished for it

that analogy exists, but being probed/banned/permad has no effect on the site whatsoever. being jailed or murdered by the state means money is going to have to exchange hands and paperwork is gonna have to be filed. there's a tangible effect

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Let people argue about China. The mods don't need to establish their line on Xinjiang. People don't get banned for their sentiments on Western Sahara, Tigray, or plenty of other current conflicts.

Flavius Aetass posted:

However it's harder to defend the central government taking a stand on what is or is not authentic Uyghur Muslim culture vs insidious foreign radical Saudi Muslim culture, especially when they seem to be taking pretty harsh measures to crack down on the latter, and since the latter is really closer to a traditional orthodox Muslim theology than the kind of laid back Sufi-influenced Islam that central Asian Muslims have followed for centuries.

this post reveals the next level of the Xinjiang discussion, which is debating Islamic theology.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Serf posted:

that analogy exists, but being probed/banned/permad has no effect on the site whatsoever. being jailed or murdered by the state means money is going to have to exchange hands and paperwork is gonna have to be filed. there's a tangible effect

this can only be assumed if mods didn’t have reports to read or a mod forum to post in

also the cost to re-reg

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Gringostar posted:

is anyone in cspam not actively calling out what the us is doing along it’s southern boarder to migrants genocide?

or for that matter what ever evil any other country is doing?

The econ thread I got probed was derailed because some d&d poster made a "lul genocide" comment.

It took a few hours for someone to take that bait but the thread broke down into projection and poo poo flinging.

It was purely ideological and there was no discussion because everyone already firmly made up their minds.

This is how it started.

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

china is going to gently caress us very hard and they won't even have to lift a finger to do it

Accretionist posted:

Uncle Xi, my country yearns for leadership

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

Uncle Xi's idea of leadership is to genocide dissenters though, so you're gonna have to be on your best behavior!

Maybe I am just imagining it, but to me it seems like some poster from America getting a bit defensive and the whole derail wasn't in good faith from the start.

So I don't see how you can expect everyone to make effort good faith posts all the time when one side just makes dumb poo poo posts and you get probed for disagreeing with them.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Gringostar posted:

this can only be assumed if mods didn’t have reports to read or a mod forum to post in

also the cost to re-reg

well the experience here is that mods just see the words "genocide denial" and hit the probe/ban button, so we can't say they're doing much work. and they're volunteers so its not like they have any real stake in it

also why would you pay money to re-reg

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Atrocious Joe posted:

Let people argue about China. The mods don't need to establish their line on Xinjiang. People don't get banned for their sentiments on Western Sahara, Tigray, or plenty of other current conflicts.

it just so happens this sudden concern for what people are allowed to discuss on China lines up with not being able to turn on the news or listen to NPR or BBC without hearing about Chinese authoritarianism

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Atrocious Joe posted:

this post reveals the next level of the Xinjiang discussion, which is debating Islamic theology.

Without being able to really show mass killings, I feel this is absolutely where things will move. Cultural genocide was how it was "originally" framed to me, and it slowed morphed into genocide. I have no idea if those were the first claims out there, but that was the wording I first became familiar.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

thotsky posted:

some mod said C-SPAM has to be palatable to a liberal consensus elsewhere in the forums

why? just don't read it, you're the free speech guys

I would say it "has to" be palatable to a liberal consensus in the same way that a new enterprise "has to" be profitable. It's not good, it's just how things happen to work. The broader SA community isn't going to allow a Stormfront subforum or something, even though in theory liberal principles of free speech demand that we give the Klan its day in court. Likewise, communist apologia is constrained by the forums Overton window whether it ought to be or not. Ideally, the consensus can be moved left over time.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Hairy Marionette posted:

This is mostly true, but our racism isn’t why we’ve got so much economic power. Our unscathed industrial base post WW2 is the cause. America was a backwaters until WW2 left us with a vast economic advantage over the rest of the world. We’d all be happier and healthier in this country if we weren’t so racist.

I can understand being salty about Americans scolding you about racism (assuming you’re not also American). We’ve always been hypocritical about our stated values and my country of birth has done a lot of harm. Hell, we are easily the most morally culpable country regarding the climate catastrophe. You want to call America a great devil and the destroyer of the world, I can take it.

But don’t tell me that our racism is rational. Our racism has poisoned us. It has turned us against each other. We engage in our incredibly self destructive politics in order to maintain our racism. We hurt each other greatly. We dehumanize each other. We kill each other. Our families break when a child rejects the racism of their parents, or when a child embraces racism in spite of their upbringing. And the racism is turned against those who look like us when said people refuse to participate in said racism.

Don’t be like America. America is evil. Our racism is destroying our country.

Racism helps partially resolved some of the contradictions of class rule. For example, racism in a workplace can hinder organizing on a shop floor, which hurts the workers but helps the owner suppress wages. Racism helped justify seizing land from indigenous groups, and why Black people could be enslaved and then forced into ghettos, both of which built US industrial and economic power.

Racism does exist outside of strictly economic relations, but it was cultivated and unleashed to help secure capitalist rule. Viewing it as only a disease ignores how it was used to create and sustain the current class system.

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

Hairy Marionette posted:

I’m not sure if I’m naive or sophisticated, perhaps a bit of both. I base my ideas of rationality when it comes to race on John Rawls Veil of Ignorance, and from personal experience growing up in a racist place watching the hate and otherization destroy people’s mental health (both the people on the receiving end and the people doing the racism).

Yeah, I'm familiar. It's fine to put forward the old Platonic claim that doing evil is not good for you, but to say you don't understand the motivation is very naive. To be unable to conceive of how someone would find evil appealing is to be unable to predict the actions of those you consider to be irrational. You could say that's what irrationally is, but I've found that people are irrational in very consistent ways.

Hairy Marionette
Apr 22, 2005

Atrocious Joe posted:

Racism helps partially resolved some of the contradictions of class rule. For example, racism in a workplace can hinder organizing on a shop floor, which hurts the workers but helps the owner suppress wages. Racism helped justify seizing land from indigenous groups, and why Black people could be enslaved and then forced into ghettos, both of which built US industrial and economic power.

Racism does exist outside of strictly economic relations, but it was cultivated and unleashed to help secure capitalist rule. Viewing it as only a disease ignores how it was used to create and sustain the current class system.

Racism can have material benefits for a select few. It does not make for a society worth living in, however. There are more measures to life than GDP, and it is in that sense that racism is destroying my country.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Something the moderate rebels guys pointed out on this week's episode is that the sanctions on the Xinjiang province would eventually cause the Uighur population to move in order to find things like jobs. People also cite declining birthrates as evidence of there being genocide, it wouldn't be much of a stretch to also point to fleeing populations.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

ngl this argument sounds very colonialist

Hairy Marionette
Apr 22, 2005

Brain Candy posted:

Yeah, I'm familiar. It's fine to put forward the old Platonic claim that doing evil is not good for you, but to say you don't understand the motivation is very naive. To be unable to conceive of how someone would find evil appealing is to be unable to predict the actions of those you consider to irrational. You could say that's what irrationally is, but I've found that people are irrational in very consistent ways.

That’s a fair critique. People who engage in racism usually think they’re acting rationally. And they usually are acting consistently. But it’s also true that in most situations it’s possible to gain greater benefit through cooperation. It sometimes takes a lot of creativity to find the path to mutual benefit. And entrenched racism can make those mutual benefit plays socially infeasible. That’s one of the reasons racism is so destructive. It can be used as a force to ensure continued oppression by creating a social cost to non-racist behavior. Which is one of the reasons I no longer live in Grosse Pointe.

That said, a society without racism will be, on average, richer than a society with racism, all other things being equal.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
The western governments and media have done their best the last few years to educate their people about Xinjiang. But why was this narration even pushed into the mainstream? Do you seriously want to argue that the US/Europe is suddenly very concerned about the treatment of a muslim ethnic group in China when they can't even look without disdain at their own muslim population? This narration is deliberately used as a weapon against China, same as all the other war mongering in the past.

But that would not matter if there was clear evidence of genocide happening. Just because there is a western agenda in play doesn't mean China can't also be engaged in genocide. But as has been said before many times the actual evidence as presented by Falun Gong, Zenz and the state department is rather weak. Pointing out that almost all coverage goes back to the same ghouls and should not be trusted is not genocide denial. We don't have to prove that there is no genocide (how would you even do that), only that the evidence arguing for genocide is bullshit.

Flavius you posted before that the economic situation in Xinjiang is worsening for Uighurs but according to the Chinese government poverty across all Xinjiang is falling, even among Uighurs (the largest ethnic group in Xinjiang after all). You can of course doubt the Chinese government but now who exactly is denying?

As long as the discussion about this is only enforced one way you are enforcing the anti-China agenda whether you are conciously aware or not.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Lostconfused posted:

The econ thread I got probed was derailed because some d&d poster made a "lul genocide" comment.

It took a few hours for someone to take that bait but the thread broke down into projection and poo poo flinging.

It was purely ideological and there was no discussion because everyone already firmly made up their minds.

This is how it started.

Maybe I am just imagining it, but to me it seems like some poster from America getting a bit defensive and the whole derail wasn't in good faith from the start.

So I don't see how you can expect everyone to make effort good faith posts all the time when one side just makes dumb poo poo posts and you get probed for disagreeing with them.

bolded the problem for you

also lol if you expect everyone to make effort or good faith posts all the time or being upset about getting probated over the slightest thing in cspam

cspam isn’t d&d which is both good and bad especially since the :airquote:serious:airquote: politics forum is now actively discouraging actual debate and discussion on things like cultural genocide in xinjiang but that’s unfortunately an issue that cspam has zero control over

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I think a forum for arguing about politics should give a very wide latitude for people to be "wrong" in their arguments without moderators intervening.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Gringostar posted:

bolded the problem for you

also lol if you expect everyone to make effort or good faith posts all the time or being upset about getting probated over the slightest thing in cspam

cspam isn’t d&d which is both good and bad especially since the :airquote:serious:airquote: politics forum is now actively discouraging actual debate and discussion on things like cultural genocide in xinjiang but that’s unfortunately an issue that cspam has zero control over

Yeah the problem is that all of the above happened in a cspam thread.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Tajikistan is pretty interesting comparison to Xinjiang when it comes to policing of religious practices, partly because it literally borders the area. It's overwhelmingly Sunni Muslim, but practice of the religion is closely monitored by the government after a civil war with Islamist groups in the 1990s. I'm drawing from a US State Department report here, but lots of the claims echo what we hear about Xinjiang.
https://www.state.gov/reports/2019-report-on-international-religious-freedom/tajikistan/

quote:

Government officials continued to take measures they stated would prevent individuals from joining or participating in what they considered extremist organizations and continued to arrest and detain individuals suspected of membership in or supporting such banned opposition groups. Authorities continued a pattern of harassing women wearing hijabs and men with beards, and government officials again issued statements discouraging women from wearing “nontraditional or alien” clothing, including hijabs.

Individuals outside government continued to state they were reluctant to discuss issues such as societal respect for religious diversity, including abuses or discrimination based on religious belief, due to fear of government harassment. Civil society representatives said discussion of religion in general, especially relations among members of different religious groups, remained a subject they avoided.
The U.S. government estimates the total population at 8.7 million (midyear 2019 estimate). According to local academics, the country is 90 percent Muslim, of whom the majority adheres to the Hanafi school of Sunni Islam. Approximately 4 percent of Muslims are Ismaili Shia, the majority of whom reside in the Gorno-Badakhshan Autonomous Region, located in the eastern part of the country.
The law prohibits individuals under the age 18 from participating in “public religious activities,” including attending worship services at public places of worship. Individuals under 18 may attend religious funerals and practice religion at home, under parental guidance. The law allows individuals under 18 to participate in religious activities that are part of specific educational programs in authorized religious institutions.
The government adopted an antiterrorism law in 1999 that prohibits individuals from joining or participating in what it considers to be extremist organizations; authorities continued to arrest and detain individuals suspected of membership in or supporting such banned opposition groups. International NGOs said that a number of these organizations were considered to be potential political opponents of the government and in fact had never advocated or participated in acts of violence. The government’s list of extremist organizations included the National Alliance of Tajikistan, Hizb ut-Tahrir, al-Qaida, Muslim Brotherhood, Taliban, Jamaat Tabligh, Islamic Group (Islamic Community of Pakistan), Islamic Movement of Eastern Turkestan, Islamic Party of Turkestan (former Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan – IMU), Lashkar-e-Tayba, Tojikistoni Ozod, Sozmoni Tablighot, Salafi groups, Jamaat Ansarullah, and the Islamic Renaissance Party of Tajikistan (IRPT). The NGO Freedom Now in July stated, “Individuals accused of being threats to national security, including members of religious movements and Islamist groups or parties, are at particular risk of arbitrary arrests, incommunicado detention, torture and other ill-treatment.”
In a June submission to the UNHRC, HRW stated the government “severely curtails freedom of religion or belief, proscribing certain forms of dress, including the hijab for women and long beards for men.” While there is no legal prohibition against wearing a hijab or a beard, NGOs reported authorities continued to enforce the ban on “nontraditional or alien” clothing. In a June submission to the UN, the NGOs Human Rights Vision Foundation, Eurasian Dialogue Institution, and the Tajik Freethinkers Forum said official media stigmatized and persecuted religious women, and that local police and ruling party activists organized surprise public inspections of women wearing hijabs, requiring them to remove the headwear. The NGOs also said female patients wearing hijabs were refused treatment in public health clinics and faced restricted access or were denied entrance to educational establishments and administrative buildings. According to an Akhbor news agency report, a government protocol prohibits the import and sale of clothing “alien to national culture.”
Multiple sources continued to report on the conversion of mosques into other facilities. During a press conference on January 29, Chairman of Isfara City Sijouddin Salomzoda said that in 2018 the government closed 56 mosques in Isfara due to poor sanitation and lack of registration. According to Salomzoda, the government converted these mosques into social facilities, kindergartens, and medical clinics. He said there were 112 mosques, including one central Friday mosque, 11 Friday mosques, and 100 five-time prayer mosques functioning in Isfara.

In February Akhbor news agency reported 67 mosques were closed in Bobojon Ghafurov District due to poor sanitation and lack of registration. The mosques were also converted to social and cultural facilities. According to Akhbor news agency, there are 116 mosques, including one central Friday mosque, 16 Friday mosques, 98 five-time prayer mosques, and one Christian church in the district. Akhbor also reported Chairman of Istaravshan City Bahrom Inoyatzoda said 12 mosques were closed in 2018.

On August 16, Akhbor reported authorities had converted the former Khoja Ansori madrassah in Khovaling District into a music school.

According to press, the government established a commission in February to assess whether the country needed new mosques or should reopen some of the mosques it had closed in recent years. On February 6, CRA Chairman Sulaymon Davlatzolda said the commission would submit its findings to the government, which would decide where mosques should be built or reopened. As of the end of the year, the commission had not submitted its findings. The press report also stated authorities had reopened dozens of mosques in recent months, including 100 in the southern district of Bokhtar.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

it is kind of funny that a thread about cspam moderation has already turned into a better discussion about xinjiang than 99% of what you can find on most of SA, on reddit, or twitter - to say nothing of traditional news sources

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Lostconfused posted:

Yeah the problem is that all of the above happened in a cspam thread.

and?

once again, cspam is cspam and expecting d&d “good faith posting” rules here is naive at best

that d&d is stifling actual discussion about things because mods are curating opinions is the much larger problem but again that’s not something cspam has any control over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Atrocious Joe posted:

using general ignorance of islam, treating them as a monolith, has been immensely helpful for their propaganda campaign

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-ramadan-china/exiles-angered-as-china-holds-beer-festival-in-muslim-county-idUSKBN0P20L620150622

quote:

Dilxat Raxit, spokesman for the exiled group the World Uyghur Congress, condemned the event.

“This is an open provocation to the Islamic faith,” he said in an emailed statement.

https://twitter.com/isgoodrum/status/1004892946045415424

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wine_in_China#Xinjiang