Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

The Oldest Man posted:

tbh it's probably because in general people who deny genocides are just the loving worst and like the first nazi sitting down in the bar if you let them they'll attract more nazis and then you end up with a community of posters resembling stormfront or the republican party or D&D

I've been lurking this discussion and it seems like a problem with this way of thinking is that a lot of C-SPAM is segregated into individual threads with little overlap otherwise. So, when you hear about someone posting "genocide denial", you go look and you haven't ever seen that poster before, or any of the ones defending/agreeing with them, and it's easy to assume they're the Nazis in your metaphor.

There have been a few posters I've noticed in C-SPAM who, for whatever reason, loved to pop into random threads and make little cryptofascist hints (generally to little effect except being told to gently caress off), but all of the posters I've seen involved in the moderation action in question have consistently posted on leftist ideological grounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

Kindest Forums User posted:

A good thought experiment is to think about the alternative, if China completely severed from the region. Xinjiang would become its own country and closed off from China with border controls. What would become of the Uyghur population? Would they be able to thrive as the rest of the world develops? Maybe? Would they even be able to retain their original identity and culture, considering the rising influence of radical Islamists in that area? I wonder what Xinjiang would like if the west didn't destabilize the middle east and radicalize a huge portion of muslims.....
In this scenario, where Xinjiag is its own country. what would happen to young people that would want to integrate into the world economy? Wouldn't they have to move to China or the West where no one speaks Uyghur? How would they maintain their culture if they wanted to escape rural poverty (especially as climate change puts immense pressures on the region).

Probably not really what you're going for, but Turkish ethno-nationalists have been expressing interest in forming a kind of bloc of Turkic peoples, which has included supporting independence for "East Turkestan" (aka Xinjiang). So they would in fact likely get a show of support from Turkey, and from NATO more generally as a potential foothold in the region. Whether they could successfully function as a country in that situation, I don't know.