Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Admiral Ray posted:

The issue with the IUD's is that one of the common claims by women is that they are tricked into or otherwise forced to get an IUD, so this kind of extreme overrepresentation of IUD's in a province that doesn't have that many people lends credence to there being a sterilization program and backs up their claims.

The kind of obfuscation done by Chinadaily here is exactly the kind of bullshit the US pulls when trying to trick the world about our abuses, and seeing China do it in response to a serious accusation doesn't just make me suspicious, it makes me think the claim of genocide is not just more probable than not, but is actually likely. Importantly, it shows that even if Zenz is a motivated researcher, his claims can't be wholly dismissed. I understand why people are wary of him and things source from him, but skepticism doesn't equate to outright dismissal. If someone keeps crying wolf, we still need to check even if it's incredibly annoying because the consequences of not doing so are disastrous.

iuds arent actually overrepresented in xinjiang unless youre going by the extremely bullshit statistic of net iud placement as opposed to just regular iud placement ferrinus pointed out some obvious reasons why this is stupid and im going to point out another which is that any province where iuds were only just recently introduced is of course going to have a much higher net iud placement rate compared to other provinces because there arent as many of them to be removed

you also call the statistic crystal clear but it most definitely is not none of the articles that cite this particular paper clarify what the term net iud placement actually means and randos almost universally interpret the phrase to just mean regular iud placement which is the entire reason why china daily wrote that rebuttal article in the first place saying that zens is technically correct on this is the worst kind of pedantic bullshit because it requires you to pull a dolphin and not pay attention to how this research is actually used just concluding that the quantity of genocide accusations is more important than what the content of the genocide accusations actually says

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

gonna repost the chart again to better explain why using it the way zens is using it is dumb and bad

try looking at all the other provinces according to second column of additions and the fourth one of removals you might notice that on a province per province basis the relative percentages are all over the place with several provinces having very similar rates to xinjiang this is fairly obviously a function of iuds only having been introduced into these provinces relatively unless youre going to argue that the populations of all the other provinces with similar rates are also being genocided

another point of interest is that several provinces actually have negative iud placement rates which completely fucks up the use of net iud placement as a reasonable statistic because when you say xinjiang account for eighty percent of net placements what youre actually doing is comparing it to other rural provinces where iuds were only recently introduced most of which have a smaller population than xinjiang the result being that xinjiang when it comes to this particular statistic is literally being blown out of proportion

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Eugene V. Dubstep posted:

This smells like horseshit to me. Only three rural provinces or province-level autonomous regions have lower populations than Xinjiang: Tibet, Qinghai, and Ningxia. Which of these are skewing the data?

the datas skewed less by other rural provinces as it is by the fact that negative rates for urban provinces are loving up the overall math in such a way that you cant even interpret the 80% as being relative to a hundred

for a sense of perspective running the (328475 - 89018)/(3774318 - 3474467) = 239457/299851 = 80% calculation for the third province from the top results in that province making up 61% of all the net iud placements in china this is obviously impossible if xinjiang accounts for 80% until you remember that many high population provinces on this chart have negative rates which means they also have negative percentages

also note that the overall net iud placement rate is only three hundred thousand short of requiring the calculation to involve a negative number for every individual rate so in short trying to go full pedant on the chart only makes it that much more obvious that zens is a laughable hack and china daily actually did him a favor in fact checking the way hes interpreted rather than on the actual strictly defined strength of his frankly ridiculous claim

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i should note that as far as the moderation issue goes i have not seen anyone popping up out of nowhere to defend the camps in xinjiang to the contrary i have seen people come in to threads to poo poo all over people for being tankies on the issue despite it not actually being on topic so i dont know where this weird idea came from that genocide deniers are taking over the subforum

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Eugene V. Dubstep posted:

could you do me a favour and either directly label the columns you're talking about or be more clear? I can't read any variety of Chinese and I'm becoming v confused by your 'according to second column of additions and the fourth one of removals'

its interesting how apparently you need me to clarify the exact parts of the chart im referring to despite a progenocide labeling poster using literally the exact same terms and the exact same math to arrive at the exact opposite conclusion because they decided to give zenz the benefit of the doubt in regards to net iud placement actually being a meaningful measurement

why its almost as if youre simply treating any claims with political undertones youre inclined to agree with as being inherently reliable and only bothering to interrogate methodology if its being used to make claims with political undertones youre not inclined to agree with

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

so has anyone been able to quantify this xinjiang forced labor thing i ask because that talking points been making a big comeback but last time i tried to investigate the sourcing all i could find was an australian paper whose main bit of evidence was i poo poo you not a deleted personal ad where someone said they were looking to sell ughyur labor but did not explicitly say that the ughyurs themselves were also expecting to be paid

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

taking a minute to appreciate that ive been probed for posting objectively correct observations and articles from questionable twitter accounts mostly because who can keep track of who has a blue checkmark and why and i try to avoid reusing that source if someone calls attention to it

but this thread is just full of people hellbent on doubling down on using a literal fundie death cultist as a source to demand their forum enemies be punished for genocide denial to advance a talking point thats among the most popular on right wing twitter right now and im just thinking do you people have no shame at all

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/caitoz/status/1375559590188699649

https://twitter.com/CaiStark/status/1375563546935840782

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/evazhengll/status/1375447934133796870

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

my meta position on this thread is to just strike the moderator part from the thread title remove the sticky and make this the dedicated xinjiang thread exclusively for xinjiang related content

the eurasia thread is kind of unavoidably crowded and given how a lot of posters really care about xinjiang but do not apparently give a poo poo about anything else that happens in china it makes a lot of sense to just split this topic off into its own thread

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

allow me to extend an olive branch to our trump thread posting pals

https://twitter.com/evazhengll/status/1375485784258674691

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/PeterGuest/status/1375298489714757633