Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

I still really like China and wish the CCP wasn’t so evil

i feel like the use of the word "evil" here is a bit comical and reminds me of the kind of propaganda coming out of the epoch times, that the ccp is the #1 enemy of the world. that's not even to say that it's wrong to call them evil mind you; i think all states are evil to the extent that they are repressive apparatuses and look after their state's own imperialist or parochial interests at the expense of other states. but the way the chinese ccp has been singled out as this boogeyman is eerily similar to reagan calling the soviet union the "evil empire" of the world. it also doesn't really make sense considering the limits of china's geopolitical power.

anti-chinese neo-cold war hysteria has also been part and parcel of the attacks against asian-americans, which complicates discussion of china. that's not to say china should not be criticized, even severely, but it should make anyone rightfully wary of western news about/views of china.

the fact is that we all know very little about china relative to what there is to know, and both uncritical support and fervent anti-ccp attitudes both come from a place of ignorance. the same goes for moderations based on "wrong think" about china: moderators are just as guilty of this ignorance. on that basis i don't think such moderatoins really make sense. the ccp being "evil" and the uighur situation not technically constituting a genocide can both be independently true or false, but they can also both be moderated on the basis of a slippery slope argument that you are, respectively, either privately racist against chinese people on the one hand or denying the actual repression of uighurs on the other. the fact is that moderators can't really establish intent, so 90% of the time neither claim should be moderated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Hairy Marionette posted:

Quoting half a sentence outside of its original context in order to argue against a straw man version of what somebody else said is one of those disrespectful to other poster things that degrades the discourse.

Sorry I was quoting it to make a point, mostly that it shouldn't be taken out of context. Like I said, it is easy to see the word "evil" in an almost comical way such that it evokes a certain image, at least for me, of Reaganite rhetoric. Would it be right for mods to claim that the way you used "evil" is anti-Chinese racism? Of course not, just as skepticism of Uighur genocide shouldn't be taken to be anti-Uighur racism.

My personal opinion of what you said was more cringe than it was you being wrong, btw. I mostly used it to illustrate a broader point. Sorry if it feels like I used your post as my guinea pig (I kinda did)

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Flavius Aetass posted:

Can everyone live with this?

:thumbsup: