Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

I guess I can lead off with a simple question: are the reports received inline with the people posting in the thread, or is there an invisible and aggrieved audience calling out allegations with dead silence? People can lurk threads, sure, but there's something off when the people not participating are the ones calling the shots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Rime posted:

If the forums can permaban an admin for genocide denial, they can probate the tankies for genocide denial until they stop kramering in and making GBS threads up unrelated threads with very tedious and unfunny posts denying an ongoing genocide.

I will continue to report posts featuring genocide denial.

the phantom of the subforum has spoken *organ sting*

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

https://twitter.com/whoiszhu/status/1374997477133316096

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

THS posted:

and the US government wants you to believe there are millions of people in them, being forcibly sterilized, as do separatist groups based out of DC, all with the goal of manufacturing consent for the new cold war, and to juice the military industrial complex so we can confront china. the sanctions have already begun. sanctions tend not to escalate, though, im sure

ah yes, sanctions, the peacekeeper's quiver of arrows,

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Comrade Koba posted:

tbh it's a bit unfair to dismiss zenz as nothing but a state department shill, we should at least acknowledge his contributions to the field of theology

lmao

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Dolphin posted:

i mean there are a lot of eyewitness reports about individual experiences but you're not going to find a comprehensive account, it doesn't just exist, it couldn't given ccp policies

then let's gather them in a big pile and look at all of them

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

have you considered that you might have some deep seated orientalist views that allow "something bad must be happening" to be such a core belief despite no evidence? like im honestly not trying to pull a gotcha or accuse you of being a chud or anything but sinophobia is so subtle and insidious, we've been indoctrinated to see east asians as putting less value on human life, basically monsterizing them to the point that these wild accusations can seem plausible with no introspection

basically this. when given a dearth of information and a packet of supplementary knowledge from a dubious source, how does your mind fill in the blanks? it's nasty stuff, but it's very subtle, the government is very nasty like that

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

THS posted:

yeah agreed here. the fact is, it’s far easier to bandwagon on the current anti-china media circus, because worst case scenario: how were you supposed to see through such widespread media and state propaganda? a lot of people fell for iraq too, or even if they opposed it, they did not oppose very stridently or speak out - because hey saddam was a bad guy

far more likely in ten years at this pace, we are in a proxy war with china, lots of people are dead, millions are displaced, and we find out later that the environment leading up to the conflict (of which the xinjiang narrative was one part of) was manufacturing consent for another brutal imperial war

the risk is less “what if you denied a genocide” and more “what if you are complicit in the run-up to a major war”, for me

more or less this, people are so careful with their moralizing that they tend to overaccumulate whatever graces and glories they think they have regarding their stances to assure themselves that they did the right thing

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

AnimeIsTrash posted:

It is wild that Pener left for BNR, he was a good poster imo.

he was the most prolific of posters. quality and quantity. a true master.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Prince Myshkin posted:

"Targeted" sanctions are pretty much bullshit if it's the US imposing them, and they lead to the exact same results as "national" sanctions. The US dollar regime means if you sanction officials in charge of trade or finances you're going to, in practice, be denying the people of a country the fruits of that trade.

Economic Sanctions as Collective Punishment: The Case of Venezuela

I wonder what it's like to work at the sanction office, making sure everyone is properly sanctioned and in an orderly fashion

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Raskolnikov38 posted:

needs Western Sahara labelled as Taiwan

that can just be Portugal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Serf posted:

as a tankie, this is the tank i want to be

a penny farthing tank