Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

free homex

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Hairy Marionette posted:

Perhaps, but under the control of China people felt the need to set themselves on fire.

China did Maoism once, they can do similar again.

Atrocious Joe posted:

That's a Buddhist monk protesting what he saw as persecution by the Catholic leadership of South Vietnam.

lolllll

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

It took the one guy literally having the post "its acceptable to stab every Han person you see" before he got banned by the gbs mods, and even then one apologized to him about having to do it lol

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

ftr here is homex's last post on the subject instead of someones recollection

R. Guyovich posted:

CharlestonJew posted:

So uh, do you agree that the Uyghur people are being genocided, or not?

i don't know. the people i talk to who've been there have said different things, and some of it paints a pretty nasty picture of a brutal security state. but much of what i've heard directly contradicts the reporting we get about it. i think characterizing skepticism about media claims as "genocide denial" is very disingenuous.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

lol

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Serf posted:

lol flavius going to bat for c-spam is gonna get us all shut down. the perfect ending

honestly respect to flavius for making this thread bc a qcs thread calling him a genocide denier was inevitable

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

THS posted:

actually the admins will read the thread and thereby gain a better understanding of the topic, and maybe some more tools for a critical analysis of media :)

yeah rime's issue was linking people to the thread, and also being rime. a more seasoned qcs psycho could've absolutely whipped that crowd into a frenzy before someone actually read whats being posted here

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

It still seems to me like the defenses boil down to "Well the US is doing/has done worse", "it's not actual genocide, just cultural genocide", and "You're only paying attention to this because the state department wants you to".

But none of those things seem to serve to actually diminish the fact that was is happening is an atrocity.

conflating criticisms of the reporting with defenses of the thing being reported on isn't really helpful

the reason those things keep getting brought up is

1 and 3) lots of the posters are american, and have a vested interest in the hypocrisy of their elected officials, especially if that hypocrisy serves to build a case for a second cold war

2) because actually trying to dig out what is real and what is propaganda is pretty important to people!! this thread isn't prescriptive at all, and I think lots of people are learning more about the situation in china than you could learn anywhere else on the forum

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Eh, those are fair points. I don't know whether it's fundamentally because I am american or just a rugged individualist but I find debating the gradations of claims less important than granting that even if we are talking about something as "minimal" as cultural assimilation that I still think forcible assimilation is... sufficiently terrible to condemn outright, in all forms.

I get that that is a point of contention among leftists of various disciplines and maybe that's not the point here but I feel like maybe underneath everything else this is an undercurrent to the argument that the assimilation is in some way absolutely necessary and unavoidable or else something... communism will not be able to flourish?

Sure, but the point you're making here is one you see everywhere this comes up: that somehow, talking about the specifics is the same as denying it exists at all.

its always presented like "well how can we have this discussion if we can agree it's happening" except you don't actually want to have the discussion, the 'base point' people are asked to agree to is the start and end of the conversation, and any attempts to ask for more information is suspect. if I told you that the US border camps were just shooting every person they detain in the head, you'd rightfully say "no, theyre bad, but they arent doing that, come on", right?

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Dustcat posted:

2. China manufactures most of everything US consumers buy, so there's clearly not going to be a cold war in at least the next decade.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/us-policy/2021/03/10/president-bidens-second-big-bill-may-be-china-package-pushed-by-top-senate-democrat/

quote:

As the White House continues to work on another major spending bill to follow the $1.9 trillion stimulus, momentum is beginning to gather for what might become Congress’s second big piece of legislation in the Biden era: a bill aimed at countering China’s economic influence.

Senate Majority Leader Charles E. Schumer (D-N.Y.) has been working on legislation that seeks to counter China’s rising global power and proposes funding aimed at bolstering U.S. manufacturing and supply chains, among other measures.

weird........wonder why this has bipartisan support......

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Flying-PCP posted:

I know this isn't the point of the thread but you realize this is exactly what people do regarding biden's handling of immigration issues/detainment of immigrants.

most of the anger I see about that, and that i've felt about that personally, has to do with the fact that the push for Being Very Specific changed when the president did, despite the camps not changing at all

id have no problem saying those camps arent like, meat grinder extermination camps yet, and I don't think thats like a unique view lol. outside of anyone who isnt still taintrunner-brained

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Dustcat posted:

It's a good idea, manufacturing should happen locally, and offshoring basic manufacturing is how you get fragile kleptocracies like the United States.

Yes, but increasingly aggressive foreign policy towards China, a reliance on poo poo like Zenz to push a specific point, combined with support to lessen our reliance on goods from china

do you think these things might all be related, when they're coming from the same people. do you think this sounds like the starting stages of a cold war

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Dustcat posted:

I don't loving know, but what the hell does that have to do with the fact that there's cultural genocide going on in xinjiang though

Because the foreign policy think tanks publishing and funding most of the 'studies' and 'reports' that then get reported on by american sources do that with intent.

do you think the Victims of Communism Foundation just publishes stuff for kicks or do you think they want people to believe something specific?

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Dustcat posted:

Well, to help me not miss points, please type out "cultural genocide" and "physical genocide" whenever you talk about genocide, so we'll know whether you're denouncing CSPAM or the zenz crowd. The latter doesn't post here.

people have posted zenz's work in this thread lmao wtf

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

yeah the entire reason its important to be specific AND important to understand this in context with what the US is currently doing at the border is that the intent of a lot of this reporting and discourse is to imply that China is doing something uniquely, singularly evil. To go "well every country is doing some wrong stuff, but thats beyond the pale," because it means that any action can be justified if its tied to "opposing china." its the creation of an unassailable moral high ground

If China is doing the same evil poo poo we're doing, then it raises the question "Why isn't the us air force using their f35s to do tactical strikes on DHS buildings instead?"

honestly it doesn't matter what I think about china, but I live and vote in america. so I care about what the country I live in does. and caring about this propaganda rises from that.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

So is the argument that any allegations of mistreatment are State Department fabrications or that there is no forcible re-education or what
I am at a loss now because I thought the consensus, regardless of state propaganda, was that China was at the very least forcibly assimilating a group of people

Because if the argument is anything other than "the state department is making everything up" then I would argue the ball is still in China's court to stop whatever it is that is being done in the same way the rest of the world should rightfully poo poo on the US until we unfuck our border and our childhood poverty and homelessness and police violence

Varinn posted:

conflating criticisms of the reporting with defenses of the thing being reported on isn't really helpful

you said you thought this was a good point, too lol. saying that reporting is done with intent is not saying "its all fabrications"

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

gotta tap the chomsky quote sign again

quote:

“My own concern is primarily the terror and violence carried out by my own state, for two reasons. For one thing, because it happens to be the larger component of international violence. But also for a much more important reason than that; namely, I can do something about it. So even if the U.S. was responsible for 2 percent of the violence in the world instead of the majority of it, it would be that 2 percent I would be primarily responsible for. And that is a simple ethical judgment. That is, the ethical value of one’s actions depends on their anticipated and predictable consequences. It is very easy to denounce the atrocities of someone else. That has about as much ethical value as denouncing atrocities that took place in the 18th century.”

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Eugene V. Dubstep posted:

But surely it gives you pause that, in a country with 1.4 billion people split among 56 recognised ethnic groups who speak almost 300 different languages, there exists no political party in opposition to the CCP. It might make you wonder, golly, maybe there's some self-censorship going on here. Heck, maybe even actual external censorship!

this is absolutely idiotic. of course there are factions within the CCP that vie for political power and seats, but because they arent Named Parties in the Democracy Sense they don't count

have you considered that going "well, my country has parties, yours doesnt have them according to this wikipedia page?" is extremely boneheaded when the countries have completely different governmental systems?

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

looking at a ballot: how do I know who the good guys are if both candidates are from the same party????

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

The only way americans have been able to understand the way chinese government works is by either going "well its exactly like ours, but red" or "every elected official is just a red herring, xi jinping has full autocratic control via mind stapling"

the idea that any system that isnt exactly our form of democratic republic must be some sort of monarchist autocracy is years of american propaganda poisoning the brain

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

BrainDance posted:

That's true, and it's why I have a lot of faith in Li Keqiang, but there is 'a party line.' The laws party members have to follow, which have actual legal enforcement, do say they cannot express an opinion that differs from the party's. That's not an implied rule, but a specific, relatively new rule. What percentage of the party's 10s of millions of members would ever have a position where they would actually be able to influence the party's overall position?

Sure, and I'm not like coming out in ardent defense of any specific thing here, I don't know poo poo about specifics, but its hard to not think that this isn't equally true of most americans, as well. Any american leftist should understand more than anyone that deep political variation can be had within what is considered a single party

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Gringostar posted:

why the gently caress does no one acknowledge the "primarily" part of that quote?

Because its about not following the ball when the state department throws it. Even if we find out, with perfect clarity, whats happening in Xinjiang, whats the next step? What should be done? Military action? Sanctions? If so, why haven't these been levied at the country we live in? If China started drone bombing DHS facilities, or supplying arms to people attack US bases occupying the middle east, wouldn't that be justified?

The reason the focus should always remain on the US is because we've anointed ourselves as the only person who is allowed to act on a global scale, and we've fully just accepted this as citizens. When other countries invade, thats tyrannical, and they must be stopped. But when we do it, nobody can stop us. So our crimes do take on a uniqueness that means we should care about them more.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

THS posted:

i tend to frontload “whataboutism” to slap down any notion of “we have to DO something about this” - maybe im not giving people here enough credit but for americans, every discussion about the abuses of another state needs to begin with the absolute understanding that the US is the great monstrous evil empire of the world, should never be encouraged to sanction or otherwise take action on an issue, and is absolutely notorious for making up poo poo and funding disinformation

it is very easy for discussions in western-centric forums to lose sight of this context, and cspam isn’t totally immune to chauvinism

and it really is a matter of keeping things in context and perspective - and also questioning why we are talking about this atrocity in particular, and not a host of other comparable atrocities occurring elsewhere (because the us sees china as a rising threat and xinjiang can be wielded as a cudgel, yet central african republic or, say, sudan - well - they aren’t a threat, they aren’t covered in the media, and there isn’t a heap of CSPAM discussion about them. let’s be aware of why that is)

i think we have pretty well established this, though, so i have calmed down

oh I hadn't refreshed the page in forever I guess lol. this is basically what im getting at, yeah

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Gringostar posted:

the world should 100% be sanctioning the us for a ton of stuff though :confused:

But they cant! That's the point! Freaking out about China has bipartisan support because they represent a state actor who actually has the ability to act upon us. This is why the things they do must be uniquely evil, unlike anyone else in the world.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

im talking about actions against states, lol. nobody gives a poo poo about pompeo being sanctioned. poo poo like what we're doing to iran

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

When the Puerto Ricans dropped the bomb on Nagasaki, the world wept.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsOMEUamYkc