Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

the only thing that should be punished is if someone says oppressing the uighurs is good

all skepticism and discussion of claims and whether or not any existing repression rises to the level of genocide and how it compares to historical and existing repression throughout the world should be allowed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Gringostar posted:

do you seriously loving think cspam likes the democratic party?

no really because lol if you do
there's a decent amount that defend the idea of voting for biden or write apologetics for aoc so their hate is not yet pure

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

also people dont see maddow as playing a role similar to tucker carlson

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Comrade Koba posted:

well their sources certainly seem to be beyond reproach
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WN71h43iR6U

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Dolphin posted:

if jimmy says the grain elevators are on fire and he's lying, you hit him with the beating stick and hope that he doesn't do it again. if he does it again you say "maybe this time it's true" because it would be really bad if the grain all burnt up.

like you can go "ugh, he lied before but we better check" but you don't go "nah just another lie let's go fishing"
you got the wrong moral message from that aesop's fable the townspeople were right lmao

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

lmao now flavius is the genocide denial mod

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

oxsnard posted:

I just wanted to chime in to say that this thread was very interesting to read. I don't have a problem with posters calling it genocide, especially if they also use the term (along with "concentration camps") to describe what the US has done and currently does. I do understand the frustration dealing with western media, especially since there aren't many publications who will call our governments treatment of native americans genocide. That absolutely was genocide waaaaaay above and beyond what China is accused of doing today

There's a fine line between getting upset about the word for its use as a one sided term to attack china and being one of those weirdos who can't admit china ever does very bad things. I will refrain from using the term in the future re: china but will push back when it turns into CHINA DID NO WRONG
the US is currently mass-murder-genociding the people of yemen and this genocide started with the critical material support of obama and biden. it is one of the greatest crimes if not the greatest crime of the 21st century.

the western media is 100% concern trolling

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

oxsnard posted:

oh ok, sorry that just read strangely to me. Yes, it's absurd.

As with Saudi Arabia and Yemen as was posted above
i dont want you to misunderstand that i was accusing you of anything

i just want to make sure peoples' goto example of frustration with western narratives about genocide should be the current on-going US genocide in yemen

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Flavius Aetass posted:

I think some of the breakdown in communication is that more casual C-SPAM posters (trump thread, etc) sometimes feel like they are being talked to as if they are Rachel Maddow fans by posters in more explicitly political threads
im not saying they are rachel maddow fans

im saying they have not properly internalized that rachel maddow overtly pushes trump-endorsed fascist rightwing coups, effectively defends obama and biden genocides and concentration camps, and is similar to tucker carlson

also a lot of them are russiagaters lol

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Baykin posted:

Specifically what I think this thread is about is that posts like this:

lead to user's being incredibly frustrated and responding with posts like this:

keeps happening repeatedly and the ban reason flat out implies that there is in fact genocide commencing.

I'm aware this isn't in CSPAM or how the exact order of posts played out but it's an example of the types of punishment that's been repeatedly handed out in CSPAM lately and this thread thankfully looks likes its going to curb it.
it's extremely funny to me that this happens hand in hand with punishing people for calling the american concentration camps concentration camps as soon as the clock ticked 1/20/2021 12:00

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

should people be able to post "no concentration camps exists!" in regards to biden's immigration policy

people should be able to discuss what words mean, be skeptics or apologists, and make fun of each other for it on these issues

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

do you realize that the official moderation policy on a subset of this site is that you are literally not allowed to call them concentration camps lmao

nevermind the wider american context of mainstream apologism for the concentration camps

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

anyways people are going to hold mainstream ghoulish opinions but the solution is to discuss them and tell them why theyre wrong instead of banning discussion

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

people should be allowed to use the word genocide if they think a genocide is occuring but people should also be allowed to be skeptical if the origins of the allegations are people like adrian zenz or us imperialists

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

oxsnard posted:

yes and it's loving stupid. UD Japanese internment camps were concentration camps and that's a historically uncontroversial take. The border camps are no different and perhaps much worse
anyways im suggesting rules recognizing that a significant part of the userbase and moderation on this website is supportive of the democratic party even if those same people get angry when you tell them they are

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

most people on these forums screaming genocide at china and genocide denial are acting in good faith based on the narratives they find themselves ensconced in

if you start with the assumption that qadaffi is about to butcher a bunch of civilians, iraq is bayoneting incubater babies, serbia disappeared hundreds of thousands of civilians, or that morales is a horrible fascist dictator, then yeah it makes sense to denounce those opposing those claims and to support intervention and stricter moderation rules

yah the institutions conflating the allegations against china with the holocaust and specifically using the term genocide and invoking the specter of mass deaths are doing so in bad faith, but that's not the world the credulous consumers of these narratives live in

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Eugene V. Dubstep posted:

China is a geopolitical rival of the US, that's the motivation lol

But both things can be true: China is committing genocide, and the CIA is cynically exploiting and exaggerating it for propaganda purposes. I really don't understand the point of bringing up Palestine and Yemen here. Of course US media is soft on US allies and hostile to its rivals. As someone who doesn't actually live in Xinjiang, knowing that Western media is subject to bias just creates doubt, it doesn't actually get you any closer to the facts.
it's concern trolling (or deep ignorance) when the people wringing their hands about chinese oppression continue to support the genociders biden, obama, etc. and insist we arent running concentration camps in the united states

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Eugene V. Dubstep posted:

who is doing that? not me

had I not been probated already by the dnd mods I would have weighed in on the QCS thread about concentration camps, I was itching to
im not accusing you of this. im explaining why people keep bringing up the US genocides and oppression and why they are relevant when western countries make allegations.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

kind of like you didnt need to like saddam to dispute the wmd claims, you dont need to like xi or the chinese state to dispute these claims

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Admiral Ray posted:

I talked about this a lot. That was like 10 or 15 pages ago and everyone I was talking with also agreed, but the interpretation of what that kind of thing means differs. For me it means I'm willing to assume the worst until evidence arises against it, for others it means they'll extend benefit of the doubt to China until shown otherwise.
this means you will fall for american foreign policy talking points over and over again instead of giving it the skepticism it deserves

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Admiral Ray posted:

What? No it doesn't. My assumption of the worst case scenario is based on the fact that we already know China engages in human rights abuses, so why wouldn't they engage in something worse? I don't grant the government of China special dispensation just because they aren't the US. If they want to prove they aren't committing crimes against humanity, let them prove it.
i mean wouldnt this principle mean you should credulously believe iraq has wmds or iran is about to nuke israel or qadaffi is about to butcher civilians or that morales stole the election

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

theyre upset that the forum more widely rejecting the mainstream liberal consensus has more posters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Some Guy TT posted:

my meta position on this thread is to just strike the moderator part from the thread title remove the sticky and make this the dedicated xinjiang thread exclusively for xinjiang related content

the eurasia thread is kind of unavoidably crowded and given how a lot of posters really care about xinjiang but do not apparently give a poo poo about anything else that happens in china it makes a lot of sense to just split this topic off into its own thread
:yeah: