Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Croatia choked that up so bad. They legit looked like the better team and one of the few teams I've seen keep up possession vs Spain. It's a shame if that Croatia midfield doesn't win anything internationally. I think that was their best chance, EURO gonna be bit too hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Doctor Malaver posted:

It was a solid game and it made sense for us to crowd the midfield, play slowly and wait for the penalties or opponents' meltdown. Six out of seven times it worked. Even against much stronger teams, with a touch of luck or some lucid move. Not this time though.

The replacements disappointed. Petković the target man couldn't keep the ball, Majer didn't look like the next Modrić, like we were hoping a few years ago. Both missed penalties too. Also, Stanišić was inferior to Juranović, and Vlašić didn't bring much to the field.

The Modrić Question still hasn't been answered. I'd like him to stay, as would everyone. If he can play 120 minutes in two games in a row in 2023, he could surely play 90 minute games in 2024 or, hell, maybe 60 minutes in 2026.

I think Brozo, Kovacic, Modric should still be defacto midfield for euro. Still think it's one of the best midfields in the world and probably be even better than Spain's which are known for that. Kramaric, Perisic, the GK and Gvardiol are world class sometimes as well. I still think Croatia missed their timeframe to win something. They really should have won this event I think they were much better than Spain but their midfield will keep getting older and they don't seem to have a replacement for Mandzukic.

That being said for some reason they still keep getting underestimated. I think they are a good team to bet on to get to quarters/semi for Euro. Don't think this team has the quality or mentality to win a finals though.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Scotland vs Georgia got paused because of the rain lol. What is this cricket? Let these men play.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

https://twitter.com/DavidTannerTV/status/1671230333620977665

LOL

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Back in my day this was considered a perfect pitch. Lads are a joke these days.

Also loved to see Messi try dribbling away at Scotland

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

holy moly, I do think this is a great generation of footballers for Japan and this was just a friendly. But that definitely puts pressure on Germany's coach. 1-4 at home...

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

tristeham posted:

hope ronalado never retires. they're so good when he's not there

Ya it's crazy how much more fluid they look without Ronaldo. I do think Ronaldo has played well in the matches I saw him, he actually seems way less selfish when playing for the national team. But their front 3 should definitely be Leao - Ramos - Joao Felix. Ronaldo could be a great impact player off the bench but ya he has to basically retire otherwise its hard to bench him unwillingly.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Shrapnig posted:

They did it during the World Cup but Roberto Martinez is a cowardly manager so I doubt he'd have the stones to do it.

Ya and Ronaldo had a argument with the manager about it. Also the guy got sacked since they lost the quarters but their best performances were without Ronaldo starting or when Ronaldo would get benched. I am sure Fernando Santos's relationship with Ronaldo had something to do with the sacking and not just losing in quarters closely to Morocco. If they sacked their Euro winning manager, I do think they won't have a problem with sacking Martinez if he pisses off Ronaldo. Ronaldo is too important to the FA and brings them a lot of money. If Ronaldo had a brain he would know he has a better chance of winning if he was starting on the bench. This Portugal side is absolutely stacked with talent, they definitely could win with Ronaldo still featuring off the bench. But Ronaldo thinks too highly of himself, which was fine when he was younger and the best player in the world but it's his time to take a different role. Or if it's humiliating for him to stay on bench he should retire from international.

Ulio fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Sep 12, 2023

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

the sex ghost posted:

It's very funny that Phillips is getting more games for England than man city

You need atleast one player who isn't getting any game time in the starting 11 with Maguire on the bench.

I really play Scotland wallop England just to see the English media rip Southgate apart. He has enough goodwill to get through the Euros but his football is boring and he has outstayed his welcome.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Thanks Ants posted:

This is smelling like a collapse

Ya feel like the Scots needed to keep it at 1-0 till half time. But their defense just looks asleep lol.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Ouroboros posted:

I think Bellingham might be the best player I've ever seen for England

I reckon you never saw Bobby Zamora play for England.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

YOU BEAUTY MAGUIRE

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

kcer posted:

almost feel sorry for the lad now

Ya its funny but hopefully people don't rip him apart.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I think they don't really have someone who likes to play centrally other than him and they really benefit from a tall target man like him because with players like Dumfries they throw in a lot of crrosses like he does in Inter. Malen plays out wide in Dortmund, probably Memphis Depay but he is injured.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Shrapnig posted:

Total fraud who was only ever capable of scoring goals in the Eredivisie

Ya he was such a big joke in Barca. Carzy that at some point he was considered perhaps the next big Dutch striker who could be like a Nistelrooy, Huntelaar or Van Persie.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I thought it was a bit premature but English fans but I would never underestimate Italy even when they are poo poo.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Good turnaround by England, Italy don't look too bad under Spaletti.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Doctor Malaver posted:

Is TRP ready for some uncomfortable subjects, like Portugal being great with Martinez and Ronald

Their team is just so ridiculously stacked. Only England and France are close.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Jose posted:

fortunately for everyone else their captain is involved still

Honestly even if he just scores tap ins, takes penalities and freekicks. They still got enough talent elsewhere to carry them. Ronaldo doesn't need to dribble when he's got Joao Felix, Leao, Bernardo Silva, Bruno Fernandes and Joao Cancelo behind him.

Only issue is just like Messi he will contribute almost nothing defensively or pressing wise. So a team who plays well from the back like Spain could have a good matchup vs them as they would always have one man free. Most of the international teams don't play high possession though like how it's the trend in club football.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Maddison is apparently now out with a injury till start of next year. Could see Eze coming instead of him since he is now back from injury and was called up few months ago.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

European nationals get to score free goals vs teams like San Marino meanwhile the worst team in South America are Peru and Bolivia who can play at a non San Marino-Gibraltar level.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

To a lot of people in South America this is more than just a game.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Honestly not mad at the Hendo pick, he has been playing well for Ajax from what I've seen and he is probably the locker room leader. Maguire has been good for United, even won player of the month when he was fit. Actually low key one of his better seasons.Happy he finally dropped Kalvin Philips, there is a world where if Philips stayed in City he would get in the squad because Gareth wouldn't have seen him look like one of the worst signings of the year so far.

Apparently Ben White was called up but refused. Colwill not showing up is weird since he has been playing alot and been called up in the past.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

No Henderson ftw

Lol it's because he has a injury, not because Southgate didn't want to start him.

I swear if Kalvin Philip just stayed put on City's bench and didn't show how poo poo he is, he would have still been in the squad over Mainoo.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Jose posted:

i've never understood why gallagher is highly rated except he's chelsea youth and people seem to want to pay all the money for them

Gallagher kinda did nothing this game but he has been quite good for Chelsea this year and probably their best player after Palmer/Gusto. On the ball he is ok and getting better. But mainly his energy and his defensive work is quite good.

I do think he could have done a bit more this game but Brazil's defense was surprisingly good.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Kinda dissappointed in Foden, though he has been so good at City but he showed 0 creativity here today. Best plays came from the leftside with Chilwell, Gordon and Bellingham linking up.

E; Also that goal by Wirtz is great, the reaction of the French player is amazing, they are just shellshocked. Reminds me of Pato's record fast goal vs Barca.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

joepinetree posted:

Looking at Brazil-Spain highlights:

lol at Spain's goalkeeper
Also lol at a ref going without VAR. All 3 pks soft as hell.

Don't know if it came across in the highlights but Lamine Yamal was cooking Brazil. Spain were completely dominating them sans the penalties. Like Brazil barely left their own half in the first half.