Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Godin indeed is in tragic shape. Dude was getting destroyed by 4th division teams during the state championship. Luckily velez was willing to take him from us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Ancelloti taking over Brazil mid 2024 according to Brazilian press

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
There must be a big party in Brazil coming up, because he got hurt and is going to treat it in Brazil instead of Saudi Arabia.

But the best of recent neymar is still last week's game against venezuela, where brazil managed to tie at home. So the equivalent slang in Brazil to "choking on big moments" is pipocar, "to popcorn" (the idea being that corn can't stand the heat).

Which is why this happened at the end of the game

https://twitter.com/te_comuniquei/status/1712824873599287382

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Ballon D'or did create a new retrospective award called Le nouveau palmarès which was about trying to give award to South American players that would have won it had they been eligible.
They didn't retract the original winners, but issued these awards as a kind of recognition they would have won if they were allowed to

Pele would have won 7, Maradona 2, kempes, romario and garrincha 1 each. So Brazil would have had 14 to Argetina's 11.

In Brazil no one really cared about Ballon d'or until the merger.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Brazilian news says that Brazilians and Argentineans were throwing things at each other, so the police entered the stadium. They then felt that the Argentinean fans did not show the "proper respect" to Brazilian authorities so the police crushed them. The current status is that the Argentina team asked for 15 minutes to calm down and they'll come back and play the game.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Brazilian police assigned to stadiums are absolutely insane. Here's a few things I've seen first hand:

- I was in line to buy tickets for the 2004 qualifier match between Brazil and Argentina at Mineirao. Long rear end line. In front of me, a bit of a shoving match between a few people accusing each other of cutting in line. So mounted police comes in, throws a tear gas , and the full speed charges into the crowd, which disperses. Suddenly, the line inf front of me got much shorter.

- My brother was in line to get beer and food at a bar inside the stadium. It was packed, so people were pushing in through the exit. Police came in, once again batons out, a tear gas canister explodes right next to my brother, and his leg begins to bleed a bit. He tried to file a complaint, but was "discouraged' from doing so.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Lol if Brazil makes it to every world cup only to miss it when its expanded to 48

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Its part that, but also part that Brazil simply doesn't produce midfielders anymore (other than defensive midfielders). It's a reaction to the way Europeans scout players. Euro teams look at physical attributes and things like speed to snatch up young players. So that is what every team in Brazil is going for, fast wingers.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Looking at Brazil-Spain highlights:

lol at Spain's goalkeeper
Also lol at a ref going without VAR. All 3 pks soft as hell.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Ulio posted:

Don't know if it came across in the highlights but Lamine Yamal was cooking Brazil. Spain were completely dominating them sans the penalties. Like Brazil barely left their own half in the first half.

Oh, I didn't mean that the ref altered the outcome of the game. The Brazil pk was soft as hell too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

BrigadierSensible posted:

This is a silly ignorant question. So I do apologise.

But are Russia a good international team?

Relatedly, if theoretically one was able to put together an all star team made up pf players from the USSR, would this Soviet team be any good? How much better would it be than one from one just from Russia?

I apologize for the silliness of the question, and also for any geopolitical hornets nests it may stir.

Is the second question historical or about current players from former soviet republics?

Historically, Soviet Union won an Euro and was runner up twice, and they won olympic gold in 1988 against a Brazilian team that had many of the players that would win the WC in 1994.

If current, a "soviet union" national team would likely have several starters from Ukraine and Georgia, so it would certainly be better than Russia only.