Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
When Rex came back from the dead I was fully expecting a reveal that Cecil had been secretly replacing the team with undead robot doubles because they'd be more controllable. Which would have been more interesting than what we ended up with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Megillah Gorilla posted:

What the gently caress is it with media and going "abusers aren't that bad really"?

Can't even say it's unrealistic, sadly. You see it over and over in the r/relationships thread where people are "Hey, remember that person who was a monster to you growing up and who you cut out of your life? I've secretly been in contact with them and, oops, here they are to meet you!"

Only, in the real world, abusers never stop being abusers. The whole "...but family!" is so toxic.

Now I'm triply glad I threw that show into the trash.

I feel like, in that particular case, the idea that Horikoshi wanted to explore was "This hero lost his way and rediscovers who he used to be."

It's just that he decided to do that through the lens of "Lost his way by becoming a eugenicist and wife beater" and yeaaaah.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
At the very least that's blown up in his face in the latest arc as one of the villains basically outed his dirty laundry at the same time as a fight went so bad it caused natural disaster-level destruction across Japan, so the public has basically lost all faith in heroes as Japan falls to total anarchy, and now any public appearance he may want to make will only backfire. So he hasn't gotten away with it :P

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

My Hero Academia is actually an example of that plotline done right since literally none of the family forgive Endeavor for his actions and after he briefly tries to reconnect with them, he realises that the best thing for them is to completely remove himself from their lives.

Plot stuff forces them to keep interacting but it's pretty much just him getting beaten down physically and emotionally over and over again and his family telling him that he isn't allowed to give up until he's taken full responsibility for what he did. He's crippled himself doing that now and the series is about to end and they still haven't forgiven him.
It's a great example of a character redeeming himself, taking responsibility but still not being forgiven or anything being handwaved to make him look better.

I have the feeling Nolan is probably going to get off much more lightly since I doubt the plot will allow real consequences for him.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Apr 9, 2024

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Nephthys posted:

I have the feeling Nolan is probably going to get off much more lightly since I doubt the plot will allow real consequences for him.

Since it seems like the show is probably done with S3, I'd assume that Nolan has only the briefest of interactions with Cecil/Debbie/Earth, and then dies fighting viltrumites

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 28 days!)

Vampire Panties posted:

Since it seems like the show is probably done with S3

Why do you say that?

It's been on top of Prime's most watched list for weeks, I thought it was extremely popular and there is loads of material?

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

kirkman says he's planning 7 to 8 seasons, covering the entire comic plus new stuff

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

roomtone posted:

Why do you say that?

It's been on top of Prime's most watched list for weeks, I thought it was extremely popular and there is loads of material?

TIP posted:

kirkman says he's planning 7 to 8 seasons, covering the entire comic plus new stuff

there is loads of material, but a lot of it is bad. IMO it seems that if they're struggling to get 8 episodes out with this sort of quality, that pushing through multiple seasons after the first reorder seems unlikely

if they loosely follow the books, there's a couple good stepping off points in the upcoming arcs, I'd assume they would take them

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

there are plot hooks that were teased at the end of season 1 and here that could lead to far more interesting seasons. Time will tell, of course

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I wonder if Machine Head will ever come back.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

roomtone posted:

Why do you say that?

They barely advertised the second half of S2 on the Prime frontpage. I actually had to use the search function :mad:

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Vampire Panties posted:

there is loads of material, but a lot of it is bad. IMO it seems that if they're struggling to get 8 episodes out with this sort of quality, that pushing through multiple seasons after the first reorder seems unlikely

if they loosely follow the books, there's a couple good stepping off points in the upcoming arcs, I'd assume they would take them

While some of the stuff didn’t age well and there are a couple of weird plot beats, I think it’s a bit much to call a lot of it bad. The core plot is good throughout and is enough to probably sustain 6-7 seasons at the current rate. I’m hopeful because so far the show has been eager to make changes for the better, amber’s character and William’s homosexuality being huge examples.

The thing is both the comic and the show lean heavily on ‘shocking’ moments. Sometimes they work, sometimes they really don’t, and sometimes they work for an audience from the time but not anymore. I’m encouraged by the show treating the comics as a good framework but not trying to be 100% faithful

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Good Citizen posted:

While some of the stuff didn’t age well and there are a couple of weird plot beats, I think it’s a bit much to call a lot of it bad. The core plot is good throughout and is enough to probably sustain 6-7 seasons at the current rate. I’m hopeful because so far the show has been eager to make changes for the better, amber’s character and William’s homosexuality being huge examples.

The thing is both the comic and the show lean heavily on ‘shocking’ moments. Sometimes they work, sometimes they really don’t, and sometimes they work for an audience from the time but not anymore. I’m encouraged by the show treating the comics as a good framework but not trying to be 100% faithful

There is a very specific point in the comics, almost infamously so I think, where it just kind of Gets Worse. But as has been said: the show has been making a lot of small and even subtle changes for the better so hopefully they don't do that.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Nuebot posted:

There is a very specific point in the comics, almost infamously so I think, where it just kind of Gets Worse. But as has been said: the show has been making a lot of small and even subtle changes for the better so hopefully they don't do that.

I feel like they could just remove that thing pretty easily with almost nothing lost. Having reread the series a couple times, I just don't agree that it gets bad after a certain point besides being tainted by the thing.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
This investment page accidentally leaks that this show has been renewed for another two seasons beyond the third we already know about, so someone's gotta update the thread title.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Good Citizen posted:

I feel like they could just remove that thing pretty easily with almost nothing lost. Having reread the series a couple times, I just don't agree that it gets bad after a certain point besides being tainted by the thing.

Now I'm curious. Which the thing?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's an insanely huge spoiler.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Good Citizen posted:

Its not a single thing that makes it bad. It just runs out of steam at some point and just gets dumb in my opinion. Its very far off, and the show might be able to salvage it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Open Source Idiom posted:

This investment page accidentally leaks that this show has been renewed for another two seasons beyond the third we already know about, so someone's gotta update the thread title.

I don't see anything about that on the page.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Jedit posted:

I don't see anything about that on the page.

Ah lol, it used to be the second part of the dot point that says "Season 3 in Production". They removed it.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

E: wrong thread

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."

The Bee posted:

Now I'm curious. Which the thing?

There are a few "things" but the most frequently cited one is DON'T READ THIS TRIGGER WARNINGS AND SPOILER WARNINGS Mark is rather brutally raped by Anissa who conceives a child and names him Markey It is pretty severely hosed up.

This happens really far down the road in the story.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Roughly how many seasons would it take to adapt the whole comic (assuming it's finished)?

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
At the clip they're adapting things, 6 to 8 seasons seems reasonable.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."

Nikumatic posted:

At the clip they're adapting things, 6 to 8 seasons seems reasonable.

Yeah the good stuff is probably 7-8, 7 would be right removing the filler nonsense.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

No they have to do the Allen gets his drivers license arc.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
7- 8 sounds right, the finale of season 2 is roughly issue 35 of a 140 issue run. And they've pulled forward some stuff from around 50. Might even do it in 6 if they pare down some of the more drawn out stuff where Kirkman was just kind of spinning his wheels and didn't know where or even if he wanted to take the story much further.

Though that could just be me remembering certain arcs feeling a lot longer than they were because they were kind of boring and the release schedule was all over the place.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
The most important bits all involve Battle Beast and they've shown that he comes back, so no matter what we're good.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

zoux posted:

No they have to do the Allen gets his drivers license arc.

And all those Marvel/DC/NEC crossovers.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

7- 8 sounds right, the finale of season 2 is roughly issue 35 of a 140 issue run. And they've pulled forward some stuff from around 50. Might even do it in 6 if they pare down some of the more drawn out stuff where Kirkman was just kind of spinning his wheels and didn't know where or even if he wanted to take the story much further.

Though that could just be me remembering certain arcs feeling a lot longer than they were because they were kind of boring and the release schedule was all over the place.

You're actually remembering arcs as being shorter than they were. I just did a full reread to check how everything is paced, how far blind viewers can read to without being spoiled, and what I absolutely shouldn't mention. Every main plot bar one is currently up to issue 47, which is volume 9 of the trades or the end of Compendium One. I expect the lone exception to be brought up to speed with S3, which will probably cover the trades up to volume 13. There's then a natural breakpoint at volume 18 for S4 to finish on before the remaining six or seven volumes can be covered in two more.

On the other hand, Kirkman has said that they plan to add new material to the show. That's going to pad it out another season, I guess.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Really? I thought ibrmemebered the Angstrom fight being a lot earlier than that.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Really? I thought ibrmemebered the Angstrom fight being a lot earlier than that.

Sorry

TGG fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Apr 16, 2024

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

You shouldn't even be discussing this here.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

TGG posted:

The most important bits all involve Battle Beast and they've shown that he comes back, so no matter what we're good.

that was a masterstroke casting Michael Dorn. I mean, I can't think of a single casting misfire they've done for the show

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Jason Manzoukas' voice makes Rex sound distractingly old imo.

The casting, in general, is wild to me. Single episode cameos from Jonathan Groff or Jeffrey Donovan to play, like, random walk-ons. Or Callista Flockhart playing the babysitter.

I guess if you have the money.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
It is just so jarring for Rex until it suddenly works.

everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016

Open Source Idiom posted:

Jason Manzoukas' voice makes Rex sound distractingly old imo.

The casting, in general, is wild to me. Single episode cameos from Jonathan Groff or Jeffrey Donovan to play, like, random walk-ons. Or Callista Flockhart playing the babysitter.

I guess if you have the money.

Some of these they literally phone in. In that they get the actor on the phone (probably something else these days, zoom?) and have them do the lines there. Easy way to make some bucks between things.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

TGG posted:

It is just so jarring for Rex until it suddenly works.

He's grown on me. At first he was my main complaint about casting since it's hard not to picture Jason every time he talks, but its kinda working for me now.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

everydayfalls posted:

Some of these they literally phone in. In that they get the actor on the phone (probably something else these days, zoom?) and have them do the lines there. Easy way to make some bucks between things.

I mean more that these people are massively overqualified and it'd be easier and cheaper to get randos to play those parts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Someone should tell J.K Simmons that he's too good for this then