Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Collateral posted:

The thinking is: We would prefer our scary indestructible guardian not to be a socially maladjusted misanthrope. Which is a coin flip for both home schooling and normal school, but forcing homeschooling on a kid that doesn't want it isn't a good starting point. It's a trope for a good reason, telling a child what is best for them only really works* once they already to listen, usually after they experience why. It's good narrative.

This is the exact plot of J Michael Straczynski's Supreme Power. Superman crashes in Kansas as a baby and is found and taken in by a childless couple who live on the farm near the landing site. The difference is that it's the end of the 20th century instead of the start, so the landing was tracked and black ops military are there within 24 hours to pick him up. He's taken to a black site, educated and raised as the perfect American patriot by fake parents. Then he finds out that there's a real world that he isn't a part of, and that he's been lied to his whole life, and it goes exactly as well for the US as you might expect.

Takes No Damage posted:

Wait, his name was really Ray, as in Ray Romano? So that's why his supe name is Shrinking Ray? Surprised we don't have another speedster in the series named Justin Time.

In case you hadn't noticed, there's a lot of nominative determinism in Invincible. In addition to Shrinking Ray you've got Rex Splode, Dupli-Kate and her brother Multi-Paul, and Angstrom Levy. Atom Eve also uses her real (middle) name to make an "Adam and Eve" pun, although that's slightly different as while the pun reflects on her power to rearrange matter her name isn't strictly part of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I know it's been a trope since the very first Spider-Man comics, but I'm really sick of "hero tries to attend college and have a regular girlfriend" bullshit.

Cecil needs to sit Mark down and tell him that poo poo is just not going to happen. Hell, offer him free tutors and private classes if he still wants to further his education - all government heroes should be getting that poo poo anyway.

They should be doing languages, crisis negotiations, electrical engineering, and all sorts of weaponry and military stuff. I assume special forces and secret agent types do training in all sorts of poo poo constantly, why wouldn't you want that for your supes?

Your strongest hero who might be called to save the world at a moment's notice should not be distracted by exam stress or worried about missing class.

Thats an excellent point. Why is Mark going to college? wtf is he going to do, graduate and get an office job? Work his way up to middle management? Any time not spent as Invincible has a literal million/billion dollar price tag

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Vampire Panties posted:

Thats an excellent point. Why is Mark going to college? wtf is he going to do, graduate and get an office job? Work his way up to middle management? Any time not spent as Invincible has a literal million/billion dollar price tag

He's a person, not a tool.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Vampire Panties posted:

https://www.smbc-comics.com/comic/2011-07-13

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think Mark just wants some experiences typical of a guy his age.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Why don’t they simply hook Mark up to an enormous generator

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Kid wants to have his cake and eat it too.

It's already hurting his girlfriend and mother and will probably hurt a lot more people before he's done.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
The series has hammered home pretty clearly that Cecil's primary worry is Mark going all god-king like his father and acting unilaterally in a way that Cecil, and by extension the combined governments of Earth, won't be able to stop. I suspect he'd be perfectly happy if Mark just quit the superhero thing entirely to live an ordinary unassuming life, where he's less likely to encounter catalysts for attempting to make drastic changes to the world, and they can more easily spot it if he does. But since Mark doesn't want that, Cecil indulges him by pretending to give him permission for something Mark would do anyway, in exchange for Mark (at least in theory) only doing it the way Cecil tells him to.

If Cecil was going to make Mark choose between being a Superhero and college, he'd tell the kid to focus on college.

Slashrat fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Mar 18, 2024

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
It's kind of amazing how shortsighted Cecil is about Debbie. Of COURSE she's not going to trust you to look after her ex-husbands new baby. You run a government blackops unit which makes you inherently untrustworthy, have had a bad history of unethical experiments on children, a terrible bedside manner and the teenagers who sign on with you are treated terribly by you because you somehow expect them to behave like a military. He can't be surprised when she tells him to gently caress off. Especially since the audience have seen how poorly he's handling Donald, who's PTSD is bad especially since it was artificially delayed the way that it was so now he has to deal with that on TOP of his new trauma, but would likely pale in comparison to Bug!Mark's upcoming teenage years.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

I remember a story where Superman tried to do the grain thing. He got hit with a missile for entering foreign territory. Didn't hurt him, but the grain wasn't so lucky.

BioEnchanted posted:

It's kind of amazing how shortsighted Cecil is about Debbie. Of COURSE she's not going to trust you to look after her ex-husbands new baby. You run a government blackops unit which makes you inherently untrustworthy, have had a bad history of unethical experiments on children, a terrible bedside manner and the teenagers who sign on with you are treated terribly by you because you somehow expect them to behave like a military. He can't be surprised when she tells him to gently caress off. Especially since the audience have seen how poorly he's handling Donald, who's PTSD is bad especially since it was artificially delayed the way that it was so now he has to deal with that on TOP of his new trauma, but would likely pale in comparison to Bug!Mark's upcoming teenage years.

Cecil's lack of boundaries don't help either.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Slashrat posted:

The series has hammered home pretty clearly that Cecil's primary worry is Mark going all god-king like his father and acting unilaterally in a way that Cecil, and by extension the combined governments of Earth, won't be able to stop. I suspect he'd be perfectly happy if Mark just quit the superhero thing entirely to live an ordinary unassuming life, where he's less likely to encounter catalysts for attempting to make drastic changes to the world, and they can more easily spot it if he does. But since Mark doesn't want that, Cecil indulges him by pretending to give him permission for something Mark would do anyway, in exchange for Mark (at least in theory) only doing it the way Cecil tells him to.

If Cecil was going to make Mark choose between being a Superhero and college, he'd tell the kid to focus on college.

He wouldn't be happy then because Mark would still exist, still be powerful, and still be a threat. He wouldn't be happy until he had a perfectly certain chance to kill him should he ever do anything.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Yeah. As much as Mark wants to have his cake and eat it too, Cecil's in that boat even moreso. Mark being a rogue super is obviously his worst case scenario, but he'd much rather have Mark under his thumb, lock and key, or the barrel of a gun than living a normal life.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Cecil should get fired for how he handled poo poo this week

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I love Donald's reaction to being blown off, after begging him to make time he just barks at the rest of the room "EVERYBODY OUT NOW! I need the room." Screw Cecil's excuses, he's going to MAKE time.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Stairmaster posted:

He could at least start by offering Mark a huge salary.

He has hosed up gaining his trust so many times, he needs to hire someone with people skills to interact with the Nolan family.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Stairmaster posted:

Its ironic tbh. I feel like the field team would've been way better on the ship and the away team would've been way better at base. When their capitalization on Rudy's EMP was to start stomping sequids one by one I knew it was gonna go real bad real fast. Meanwhile, even just Black Sampson or Bulletproof could've handled Komodo no problem.

They'd need proper protective suits of course, but between Rudy and Eve I can't see that being too hard.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Megillah Gorilla posted:

He could at least start by offering Mark a huge salary.

He has hosed up gaining his trust so many times, he needs to hire someone with people skills to interact with the Nolan family.

He does.

Also it's the Greyson family. (Even though Greyson was just something Nolan made up cause Viltrumite's don't have family names).

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

The Bee posted:

Its ironic tbh. I feel like the field team would've been way better on the ship and the away team would've been way better at base. When their capitalization on Rudy's EMP was to start stomping sequids one by one I knew it was gonna go real bad real fast. Meanwhile, even just Black Sampson or Bulletproof could've handled Komodo no problem.

They'd need proper protective suits of course, but between Rudy and Eve I can't see that being too hard.

The space team should have been Invincible, Monster Girl, Robot in a remote suit, Bulletproof/Immortal and anyone else who is possibly immune to getting sequoided. Hell I'm surprised Cecil didn't just try to nuke the ship.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

BioEnchanted posted:

I love Donald's reaction to being blown off, after begging him to make time he just barks at the rest of the room "EVERYBODY OUT NOW! I need the room." Screw Cecil's excuses, he's going to MAKE time.

I really enjoyed that scene, there's a steel in Donald that doesn't show on the exterior and I think people forget about that a lot even Cecil.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Hughlander posted:

there's... steel in Donald

:v:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Cecil probably forgets that Donald's tougher than he acts because unlike him Donald is a good person. I'd like to see Donald and Debbie starting their own little Trauma Support Group because they know that Donald won't judge Debbie for being married to the man who killed a million people and Debbie will understand Donald's situation as a robot boi.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

MonsterEnvy posted:

He does.

Also it's the Greyson family. (Even though Greyson was just something Nolan made up cause Viltrumite's don't have family names).

Well he did, Debbie told him to shove the money up his rear end.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Jedit posted:

In case you hadn't noticed, there's a lot of nominative determinism in Invincible. In addition to Shrinking Ray you've got Rex Splode, Dupli-Kate and her brother Multi-Paul, and Angstrom Levy.

Wait what's the joke in Angstrom's name

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

GunnerJ posted:

Oh, his penis is 10−7mm long (I kid, I don't know enough about particle physics to get it myself other than that it's related to quantum physics)

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I still love that mustaches are the defining feature of a male viltrumite.

They're apparently literally physically unable to grow different facial hair.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

GunnerJ posted:

There's an argument (and common SF trope) that every universe within a multiverse exists in parallel in the same place at the same time, separated from each other by the thickness of an atom. The thickness of an atom is one angstrom. So it's nominative determinism that a multiversal traveler is named Angstrom.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Right, and Levy is another way to say impose. So he imposes on the walls between universes.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

ikanreed posted:

I still love that mustaches are the defining feature of a male viltrumite.

They're apparently literally physically unable to grow different facial hair.

I've heard viltrum is a play on philtrum, which is part of the upper lip.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

The alternative explanation is even funnier - he actually did grow that beard for real, and ripped it out for the reveal.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

BioEnchanted posted:

The alternative explanation is even funnier - he actually did grow that beard for real, and ripped it out for the reveal.

This is the actual case. That's why Allen immediately assumed Viltumite. Normal people can't do that poo poo.

It does, however, imply that Viltrumite facial hair grows as a single unit and the only part strong enough to resist being pulled off is the 'stache.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

The other, more sensible explanation is that Viltrumites can grow beards but customarily don't. Thaedus is sentimental enough to keep up the tradition of wearing only a moustache, and wears the false beard to conceal that he does follow the Viltrumite style.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
if a lady Viltrumite wore a fake moustache as a sort of funny prank would she be summarily executed?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Knowing the way the empire seems to operate? Most definitely, they don't seem to have a sense of humour

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I bet Viltrumite mustaches are like Saiyan hair. That poo poo is permanent.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Bloody Pom posted:

I bet Viltrumite mustaches are like Saiyan hair. That poo poo is permanent.

So the whole thing is based on GT Vegetas moustache?

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Darko posted:

So the whole thing is based on GT Vegetas moustache?

The original author claims he never saw DragonBall Z.

Thaddeus ripping off his beard and Allen immediately pegging him as a viltrumite because of the mustache left over is the best Clark Kenting moment I've seen in a while.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

BioEnchanted posted:

It is called the toolock pull and it is a sacred ritual

Good Citizen fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Mar 20, 2024

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Shhhh. Put that in spoilers. It's too good to ruin.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

uber_stoat posted:

if a lady Viltrumite wore a fake moustache as a sort of funny prank would she be summarily executed?

I think even an attempt at humor is punishable by death in their culture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Hughlander posted:

I think even an attempt at humor is punishable by death in their culture.

Well part of their culture is you can freely kill people for being weak. (Not spoilers this happened during the meeting with Nolan and when they started talking about the brother)