Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

PostNouveau posted:

They had some dumb technobabble from Cecil and Donald about how they'd measured her somehow and determined scientifically that she was going to beat his rear end real bad.

Her age is over 9000!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

They had some dumb technobabble from Cecil and Donald about how they'd measured her somehow and determined scientifically that she was going to beat his rear end real bad.

It was very dumb, but it seemed like the viewer is supposed to take it as true that she was much stronger than Mark no matter how hard he tried to kill her.
The technobabble was just a wordy way of saying "she thick as a brick."

Looking at prime Tyson and saying Johnny Depp has no chance based on their physical builds isn't all that dumb.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

They scanned her and said her bones and muscles are really dense so she was gonna beat Mark's rear end, he only had an 18% chance of not getting his rear end whooped. The monster was a pretty effective measuring stick too, it's not like he had any reason to hold back there and she was just plain more capable.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
I don't know if this is the intention of the episode, but it kind of feels like in 2024 space fascists offering to unfuck everything is a pretty good deal

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 21 days!)

i get it i just don't buy that

mark's personal aversion to violence could cause him to have huge bruises and blood wounds on his face

that seems...........UNLIKELY

unless he was a bitch

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

and if he wants to have the slightest chance against the viltrumites, he needs to learn how to not be a complete and utter bitch. does this make sense.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Cecil mentioned bone and muscle density, which must increase as a Viltrumite ages or recovers from a beating. I think Cecil's "workout" is going to involve industrial presses and mechanical stompers.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

well yeah cecil is a totaly like 'this is muscles' reference

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

rex is loving pissing me off.

either be strong or die, bitch.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
Also there is an in comics reason for the Viltrumites acting all weird about this poo poo and just not straight taking Earth immediately.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Mark gave it the college try...

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Collateral posted:

:allears:

Famouslastwords.txt

The Donald and Rick scenes were great.

I half expected Anissa to do the problematic thing when there was a fade. Maybe they will cut it?

:allears: Perfect timing for me to mention that.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

wow, Mark sucks, does he ever do anything other than get beat up all the time.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

jesus idiots

do you have absolute nothing to say about this?
looks good bitch
talk to me or what is it...........a beach?
you loving whore

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Y'know, I don't think that Rudy has shown anyone his original body before he got his new one. It would probably help people get where he's coming from and why he barely shows any emotion on his face. I hope that comes up in the future, I know there's lots of comic to go.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
I really like how they updated the character relationships for the show so that everyone isn't as horrible and douchey as the characters were in the early 2000s comics. The non-toxic masculinity with Rex and Invincible in this episode was great.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

it annoys me that two guys talking has to be classed as 'non toxic masculinity'

guys do actually talk from time to loving time, jesus christ. it's not all about your zeitgeist.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
I have utterly loved William in this show and he was not exactly a huge part of the comics.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

roomtone posted:

it annoys me that two guys talking has to be classed as 'non toxic masculinity'

guys do actually talk from time to loving time, jesus christ. it's not all about your zeitgeist.

Okay but rex was previously toxic as gently caress in ways that we'd normally call toxic masculinity, so the contrast is relevant.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

TGG posted:

Also there is an in comics reason for the Viltrumites acting all weird about this poo poo and just not straight taking Earth immediately.

Not that I recall, they just have a system in place and are following the template for taking over every other planet they've conquered.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

TGG posted:

I have utterly loved William in this show and he was not exactly a huge part of the comics.

The show took advantage of the fact that the writers know where character plotbeats go to make the early arcs less weird and lame in regards to the side characters. Both William and Amber are much better in the show than in the comics.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Adder Moray posted:

Viltrumites age extremely slowly, and she clearly looks like a fit human woman in their late 50s/early 60s. Meaning, while she almost certainly had a few good centuries left ahead of her, she was pretty mature.

I think that was just an animation quirk. I’d place Anissa in her early to mid 30s in viltrumite equivalent years or whatever

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Anissa also seems a cut above most Viltrumites, though we don't really have a baseline. Nolan is apparently exemplary and he was given a task of soloing a planet. They sent three Viltrumites to take him down and pulled off a draw because he had his son to distract one of them. Anissa seems like she's in the same league (or like an inspection officer for the solo conquerors).

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Anissa is apparently fairly old, based on this line from the comic (that was cut from the episode for very good reason!) when Allen socks her in the face.

That or she speed-ran at least four marriages.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Yeah, she's like 200-300, but I meant in human aging terms she's like mid 30s in physical development in human terms

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Nuebot posted:

The show took advantage of the fact that the writers know where character plotbeats go to make the early arcs less weird and lame in regards to the side characters. Both William and Amber are much better in the show than in the comics.

This is easily the strongest point for season 1 alongside the remixed Guardians takedown in episode 1. In the comics Mark comes back from some adventure or another and William is just like 'oh hey I'm gay now, cyborg guy is my boyfriend' and Mark is like '...cool' and I think it's never mentioned again. And Amber literally doesn't speak for the first several issues in which she appears and never really develops beyond anything other than Trophy Girlfriend. Show Amber is kind of annoying, but at least she elicits AN emotion beyond :effort:

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."

Takes No Damage posted:

Not that I recall, they just have a system in place and are following the template for taking over every other planet they've conquered.
I've not bothered to look it up but aren't there less than like 500 hundred actual Viltrumites? Also they do not actually have a viable birth chance with many races, so Nolan managing 2 powered babys is loving stunning even if the dumb fucks would murder one of them out of weird racial purity poo poo. Thaedus dropped his super virus on the race and it pretty much made them extinct so they infiltrate planets, conquer them, see if they are power fuckable, if not they install a government and move on. I could completely be wrong, it's been ages and my brain is not working 100%

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

This whole time you all were talking about Viltrumite women ages and I thought you meant that lady that gutted Mark with her hair-knife.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

RareAcumen posted:

This whole time you all were talking about Viltrumite women ages and I thought you meant that lady that gutted Mark with her hair-knife.

...were they not? The lady from this episode doesn't look remotely old, while braidknife at least was grey and had a few wrinkles I think?

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Good Citizen posted:

I think that was just an animation quirk. I’d place Anissa in her early to mid 30s in viltrumite equivalent years or whatever

That post is talking about Thula

RareAcumen posted:

Correct. Good Citizen is confused.

Adder Moray fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Mar 29, 2024

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I think part of the reason they are being weird about earth is that they are too prideful - they can't handle the idea that someone like them, in this case Mark, might disagree with their idiotic behaviour, so are desperate to prove Nolan to be an outlier by radicalising his son. Also they want to prove to Mark that they were right all along. It's like the aliens in The Worlds End - they are embarrassed to have to admit that their methods didn't work because they had to replace 80% of humanity with robots because we are just loving idiots. If the Viltrumites beat Mark to death, they simply prove him right.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I love the fact that the Viltrumite sales pitch is "We're going to give you medical supplies and prosperity, and we'll kill as many of you as possible to make it happen." :allears:

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I love the fact that the Viltrumite sales pitch is "We're going to give you medical supplies and prosperity, and we'll kill as many of you as possible to make it happen." :allears:

It's the Peacemaker pitch. I cherish peace with all of my heart. I don't care how many men, women and children I kill to get it.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

TGG posted:

I suppose when you live for thousands of years, holding off an invasion for two of three years is nothing.

Also, they've mentioned that Viltrumites don't fight each other and seem to honestly want Mark to come around to becoming one of them.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

TGG posted:

I've not bothered to look it up but aren't there less than like 500 hundred actual Viltrumites? Also they do not actually have a viable birth chance with many races, so Nolan managing 2 powered babys is loving stunning even if the dumb fucks would murder one of them out of weird racial purity poo poo. Thaedus dropped his super virus on the race and it pretty much made them extinct so they infiltrate planets, conquer them, see if they are power fuckable, if not they install a government and move on. I could completely be wrong, it's been ages and my brain is not working 100%

IIRC its something like 30 left. They want to colonize Earth because they've been looking for species they could use to repopulate their numbers with approximately the same power. Also they're incredibly long-lived, so waiting for a few years to win Mark over isn't a big deal

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Thula, the viltrumite warrior with the bladed hair was shown to be a survivor of the great purge when it was being discussed in season 1. Which was over 1000 years ago. So she's easily 2000+.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

It's crazy how different your perspective would be if you lived 2000 years, and I think the show really did a good job of making the comparison with the bugs. Like how far could any of the humans really care about an individual bug.

"Oh yeah that guy who dressed up as magic dog is dead now."

"Oh. Huh."

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Spanish Matlock posted:

It's crazy how different your perspective would be if you lived 2000 years, and I think the show really did a good job of making the comparison with the bugs. Like how far could any of the humans really care about an individual bug.

"Oh yeah that guy who dressed up as magic dog is dead now."

"Oh. Huh."

I mean that's how I feel about middle-age. "Growing up means watching everyone you ever saw on TV die." :rip: Lou Gossett Jr.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

I'll be really interested to see how they make the Viltrumites seem less reasonable. I can't really think of a single government on earth that I wouldn't definitely replace with space gods. Like what color of people do the space gods not like? What kind of sex do they think is weird?

My point is I think the Viltrumites would absolutely have a significant chance of winning a global election.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Well, they don't seem to be a fan of blue people, based on Episode 4.