Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Panfilo posted:

What I don't get is why they need to "weaken" the planet in the first place. When the Viltrumites roll in they'll crush all the resistance anyway. We also don't even get a timetable of when they'll actually show up
I figured maybe the hope is that dudes like Omni-Man could successfully (albeit violently) convince the majority of the planet to totally submit to Viltrumite rule so that it can easily be converted into a slave workforce or whatever? I dunno that was enough for me at least. Like obviously resistance would be fruitless but if the whole empire shows up announced people might be more likely to just, all go crazy or something. This way Omni-Man can do a simple handoff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Hughlander posted:

Holy poo poo, I didn't realize that Thaedus is voiced by a now 82 year old Optimus Prime!
It's crazy how well he still nails essentially the same voice.

I'm kinda frustrated by the show at this point, and hell I fell off pretty quickly on the comic too. I think Robert Kirkman has a talent for creating a world but I just fundamentally don't like the way he progresses stories or something.

Like I'm catching up on Harley Quinn and I'm realizing I think it actually does a lot of what Invincible tries to to but better. It's funnier, while still taking its main characters seriously enough to tell genuine comic book stories, while also not shying away from the gruesome nature of its slant on the story.

The way the insanely violent stuff in this show is playing out in season 2 feels more like endless attempts to recreate the Red Wedding from Game of Thrones. But like... you can only get so much mileage out of the shock value before it just becomes obnoxious that the characters keep reverting to Teen Drama characters immediately after something insane happens. I don't think they're meaningfully subverting any superhero cliches, they're just being a lot more gruesome in the way they play out.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Yeah I'm trying to be upfront that I can't really blame the show as an adaptation. I think it accurately reflects Robert Kirkman stuff which it turns out becomes a problem for me pretty fast.