Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I don't think I get this show. It's like a children's cartoon but completely inappropriate for children. I thought it was a children's cartoon until the justice league got murdered. So then I thought, OK, that start was just to lull us into complacency; the real show is going to start now. But no. The next episode we're right back to being a standard kids show - but with way too much violence. Who is this for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

badjohny posted:

Definitely 100% not for kids.

Well obviously.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Conrad_Birdie posted:

You’re describing the comic (and the show), Invincible.
Yes. That is what I was doing. Explicitly. :shrug:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Conrad_Birdie posted:

And I’m saying you’re not missing the point of the show. That’s what they’re going for.

I clearly am though, because I don't know why they would do that - or who would want them to? Is it for people who feel embarrassed to watch kids' cartoons so they made one that kids can't watch?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Now it feels like you’re equating cartoons with kids.
It's got nothing to do with it being animated. It's just written like it's for kids. All the school bully, awkward first date, parents trying to relate to their adolescent son (from the perspective of the son), stuff. If you cut the violence you could put it on after school and it would fit right in with Degrassi and Daria (or whatever the modern equivalents are).

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Ccs posted:

You know Dragonball Z, the really popular series for kid and teenagers?
Not really, no. I've heard of it, obviously, but I've never seen it and I don't know what it's about.

Ccs posted:

So demographic wise it’ll probably appeal to anyone 13 up whose a fan of superheroes and okay with violence. It’s cartoon violence still, so even the “gory” stuff isn’t much more than a big blood splatter.
That seems pretty weird to me. Maybe I'm wrong, but I can't see it getting any rating but MA15+ on Australian TV. :shrug:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

pnumoman posted:

Cartoons haven't been just for children since, well, ever.
It has literally nothing to do with it being animated. I'm well aware that there are cartoons that aren't aimed at children. I've watched many of them. As I said before, it's the writing that I'm talking about. It doesn't seem, to me, like it's written for adults. The characters and themes seem designed to appeal to kids (tweens and younger teens), while the violence is likely to get it rated as inappropriate for that age group.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

everyone is pretty much just another hero, maybe gender or aged swapped
Some of them are so blatant I don't understand how they got away with it. You can't call something a parody if you literally just changed the name and nothing else, and that's clearly all they did with Batman and the Flash. I initially assumed it must be owned by DC and wondered why they weren't just using their characters' real names but, having looked it up, it seems it's not?