Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Not sure what else I've seen/heard Mantzoukas in but in this he basically just sounds like a superhero version of his character in Big Mouth and, I dunno, I find it grating myself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

well that was a good episode though I think I have been forever spoiled on superhero stories keeping up with the "oh no, I can't tell people my sidelife as a superhero" BS after it being turned around in Amazing Spider-Man and Man of Steel, but for right now I'm giving Mark a pass because he's still a kid and his dad is a terrible influence. I honestly think that Mark needs to spend less time with his dad and more time with other supes his age, I feel he would gain a lot more training with Eve but that could also be because she doesn't have an overlord mindset like Nolan does.

That final fight was intense, I really hope Monster Girl doesn't die :ohdear: but man it is gonna really suck if it turns out Titan did just want to become the kingpin himself instead of just oust his boss and become a malevolent keeper of the underworld

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

also noticed during close-ups that her symbol isn't a crossed-out female symbol but it is actually electrons orbiting, I guess it's cheaper to make it look crossed out from further away but was cool to see it close up

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

I think part of the trope with mooks or grunts that exist just to get merced is also meant to display that they don't have a choice when an altercation occurs. We saw this when Titan confronted the security forces and told them they could put in the token effort and live, or they could try to fight and die.

Whether it be soldiers or other government workers, or goons and other private security, they have to be seen as doing their job or they're gonna have a bad exit interview with their boss (who probably don't give a gently caress that it was an indestructible super they were facing, they are paid to fight and protect property). We see it as a trope but in reality it's a damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario.

This ignores isolated incidents where a single person finds the super and decides "nope, I didn't see that, we can't stop them and they haven't tripped an alarm, I'm not gonna be that guy that ruins it for everyone"

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Just started reading the comic to see what things were like in grand ol' 2003 and I gotta day I actually like a lot of the changes to the supporting characters (though I'm only on issue 10) since they feel more like actual people instead of just silhouettes that are there for the main characters to sound off on every so often.

Perhaps the not-Justice League gets more coverage in flashbacks but boy at least in the show they are present before just getting merced by Omniman. Certainly a fun read so far but, much like The Boys, the show has filled out the world a lot better and (so far) is looking to surpass the comic in a lot of ways.

Also, I am glad that there isn't a lot of edgy poo poo that turns me away from the comic, as opposed to The Boys

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

I said it earlier in the thread but there is definitely a way different approach to alter-egos these days. Perhaps not in printed media, since they are still ambling along with status quos that have existed for decades, but when it comes to new films or TV adaptations there seems to be this new belief that lying to your friends and family just causes more problems than it solves when a reveal happens. Or you get to cover more interesting angles by just having a reveal early on, such as Lois Lane knowing Clark Kent is Superman right from his inception in the DCEU, or Peter spilling the beans to Gwen after their first argument about his behaviour in Amazing Spider-Man.

Then again, Invincible was first on the scene in 2003? I think by that time in the Ultimate universe Peter had come out to Mary-Jane (or it happened not too long into Invincible starting) and by the time of Cataclysm everyone important in Peter's life knew he was Spider-Man and were able to keep it contained (to the point of Aunt May allowing Bobby Drake and Johnny Storm to live with them knowing full well their other lives). I dunno, I liked the approach here because Eve pointed it out very early that Mark would have to decide soon how to handle it or there would be consequences. Having only gotten through the 3rd or 4th TPB so far Amber has barely been present in the comic so her becoming an actual person in the show is a huge improvement.

Also this is on a different track but Nolan is quite different in the comics, he is a lot more even-tempered and very much the typical dad in the comics and even when he is demolishing the Guardians he doesn't seem to carry any menace. It is quite the change and since I've read past where the finale is likely going to go tonight I am now really excited to see how the events are going to go down just on account of how different the two Nolans are. Exciting stuff!

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

I feel the implication of her reaction to Mark was just an immature display of someone who had finally had enough and didn't give a poo poo anymore about his reasons and excuses. I feel like when she and Eve were at the shelter and Eve got notified of what happened to Mark but not her she clued in that he was probably a super. She gave him a chance with restarting the relationship, probably hoping that he would come clean so she would feel trusted and respected but he still kept giving flimsy excuses and then him pulling the stunt he did on the campus without even a word of "I will go get help, stay hidden" was what finally did it.

It does feel a little like the creative team wanted to have their cake and eat it too with him finally coming clean and her shutting him down but it wasn't the worst thing

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Well he's almost a decade younger than Ron Perlman, so he can take over Hellboy duties if Ron wants to stop :v:

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

god drat that was a great finale and man the gore was just crazy

while I understand that Amber is coming back because Mark needs his friends, I don't see their relationship lasting because Mark continues to not understand what ended it the first time, he's really loving bad at communicating. He still just dipped when he got the phone call and didn't say anything to any of them, and they all know now so, really, he's just being a twat.

But there is one thing that I didn't really understand in the montage, what was Titan doing? Was he fighting a leader of a triad or something? I actually really want to see more of Titan

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

I'm curious if anyone complaining about Mark losing is familiar with the history of other superheroes like, say, Spider-Man. Maybe this isn't a thing in more recent continuity but Spidey's thing has always been struggling to get even a dignified loss when he faces off against baddies that are a step above street thugs.

To apply this with more recent media, Mark is seeming like Clark throughout Man of Steel, he has these godlike powers but he is so green that what really carries him through most encounters is his perseverance and seeming invulnerability. Clark gets absolutely manhandled by the other Kryptonians since they are all trained combatants and know how to fight. Likewise, Mark is still figuring out how powerful he is but he is determined to not give up, so he can take a LOT, but can't really give it back against opponents that are on a more equal footing.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

LRADIKAL posted:

I've read the comic myself, as I recall, she ends up as an adult with YUUUUGE cans!

Reading through the series things like this seem to happen a lot to female characters and it just gets ridiculous the further along we go. That and having other characters call attention to it doesn't make it better but at the end of the day, it's a comic, specifically one from the 00s so these things just happen

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

while it is true that Amber is being "frustrating" and perhaps "irrational" with her being upset with Mark, I never got the feeling that she was upset because he was being a superhero and wouldn't tell her, it's more that he was just a lovely communicator in general. Mark doesn't ever give any real excuse beyond "I'm stuck doing a thing at a place for a time, I guess we can do a rain check?" and even then most of the time when she caught him in a lie he would just doubledown on whatever lovely excuse he had come up with. Considering that Amber is introduced with kicking a jackass in the balls who had also been bugging her mere moments before, I think it is fair to say that she has a decent amount of self-respect. She puts up with Mark's crap and lovely excuses because he's good-looking, a genuinely nice person, and values her but, as with many things, trust and respect is a two-way street and as the months have gone by, she finally decides that Mark hasn't been reciprocating the trust and respect she gives him.

Again, I felt that the big thing that pissed her off with the campus attack was because Mark simply vanished without saying a single word. If William hadn't immediately noticed that Mark was Invincible I would not have been surprised if he also flew off the handle at him when he reappears because he didn't say a goddamn thing to anyone. He didn't say he was going to get help (something even Peter loving Parker remembers to do), he didn't tell them to hide, in fact it's actually Amber who takes the lead on getting the gang to start evacuating the area and then he just poofs while William is being attacked by the Reaniman. This, combined with the fact that the relationship was already on thin ice as Mark notes when he is talking to Eve before heading to the campus, really just goes to show that Amber wasn't really expecting the relationship to get better and just decided to also vent her frustration on him because, well, it's cathartic.

Honestly, watching that episode again Amber's mannerisms show that she is very much on the outs with Mark, she's still giving him a chance but then he just fucks it all up with his conduct during the initial Reaniman attack. Hell, if we go with the belief that she starts piecing together that he's a superhero after the shelter no-show, I think it's fair to say that her tone towards him during the campus attack shows that she knows what he's capable of and is not impressed with his conduct during a crisis

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

I'll repeat myself from yesterday:

When they are at the campus the relationship is already on the rocks, Mark discusses this with Eve before leaving. Amber is fairly cold towards Mark during most of their interactions prior to the attack, the warmest response she gives is a "sure, what the hell" type when he gives his whole "I want to do better, let's come here and try again, it will be better" spiel.

Within seconds the Reaniman breaks out and Amber starts helping get people to safety and Mark hesitates doing anything and she chastises him for not doing anything. When William is attacked, Mark is standing near Amber and she calls his name to, you know, get him to do something or anything and then he vanishes and she gets worried.

When he comes back after everything taken care of she gets upset that he poofed without saying a word during the whole thing and she gets angry. Like, if William hadn't pieced it together I feel he would've been pissed too because William does more before Invincible shows up than Mark does.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

The main female characters have gotten huge personality upgrades from the comics, one of the biggest I've noticed as I've been reading through the series is that Eve (and most of the other lead women) always have "hysterical" moments and they all feel the exact same. Everyone has a moment of weakness and some "unforgivable" thing happens and we get drama (sometimes really cheap and lovely drama) and when things get heated they all react to it the same way, or close enough. Something that I have already enjoyed about the difference between the show and the comics is that with new writers and creatives involved it means we are getting everyone more fleshed out and having their own unique voices, which means that everyone will have different reactions to events as well.

Amber and Eve are actually pretty identical in the comics (though saying that, I suppose an argument can be made that they are pretty identical in the show as well but the opposite of their comic personalities) and the only thing that really separates them is that Eve has superpowers and isn't helpless...all the time

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

It would be nice if there was a spoiler thread to talk about potential plot ramifications going forward seeing as the order of events (and some characters) have been rewritten

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Huh, that never occurred to me, I honestly just thought "of course the not‐CIA is doing spooky stuff 'for our protection' why would they not" and forgot that people think fluoride is bad for them

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Speaking of outside this community, boy people really hate Amber. I mean I get it, she doesn't have powers like Eve and she's "being mean" to Mark (because she's standing up for herself and not taking his poo poo) but I was quite surprised at how much people want her out of the way.

I'm not shocked, but I didn't realise that the popular opinion was that she sucks and Mark deserves better, comic spoilers though if some of these people have also read the comics then perhaps they are just impatient and want Mark and Eve to get together already

Aces High fucked around with this message at 01:11 on May 29, 2021

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Tip posted:

If you're gonna post comic spoilers you should clearly label them, I assumed it was going to be a show spoiler.

My bad, I'll fix that

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

People post with their real names on Twitter and Instagram so why would they be ashamed on Facebook? Here in Canada our national media distributor, CBC, used to allow comments on all of their news articles online. About 5 or 6 years ago they restricted comments on articles about indigenous peoples in that you could only post a comment if you registered an account and used your real name. Needless to say, this only stymied the flow of super racist comments that always appeared in these articles and a couple years ago they made the correct choice to just not have comment sections for anything indigenous related.

That doesn't stop those same people from posting their "opinions" when CBC makes a tweet or something to advertise those articles

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

It says something about Nolan's opinion of non-Viltrumites (and his character in general) when he says that Red Rush was sub-tier because super speed isn't "a primo super power" yet when you pay attention to the fight against the Guardians you notice that Red Rush actually contributes the most out of everyone. He constantly moves people out of the way of Nolan's blows, he still lays a pretty good licking on him. Red Rush, as a Flash knock-off, is pretty terrifying in terms of capabilities

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

It is a big deal in the comics, so I'm sure it will be addressed in later seasons. How they will address it and even approach it is entirely speculative at this point but it is important to note that Monster Girl's condition isn't just left hanging over the 120 or so issues that Invincible ran.

They're already going in an interesting direction since all the stuff that Robot does to keep her alive after Battle Cat almost kills her didn't happen in the comics

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

I think it's fair to say with those other examples that Mark was pulling his punches so he wouldn't obliterate them. That and with ones like Dr. Geology he was with other supers and so I don't think beating someone into a pulp with one good punch would go over well

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

only just noticed that season 2 is finally coming out (hoping that doesn't speak to the timeframe for 3 and beyond) but one thing that I always wonder about, ever since reading the comics after the first season is (comic spoilers and speculation) what are they going to do with some of the other status quo changing things? Like when the dinosaur guy glasses (quite literally) Las Vegas? Are we still going to have Robot and Monster Girl infiltrate the Flaxan empire to overthrow it?

What's going to happen with Mark and Amber and Eve?

still excited the show isn't dead, there are some good stories in the comics that I'm really curious how they'd get interpreted, considering a lot of the changes and switching around they already did for season 1

Aces High fucked around with this message at 22:50 on May 24, 2023

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

they may also have one in the tube for Rex as well, in the comics they did two prequels that were specifically to explain where Eve came from (in terms of her unique power set) and then explain her relationship with Rex before Invincible proper shows up.

regardless of all that, holy gently caress Lance Reddick!

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

in the comics GG was always a man, even when Omni merks them all. I can't remember if they mention if it's a hereditary thing in any of the side comics or prequels but the cartoon seems to be showing it as such. Incidentally, the comic version of Red Rush gets got immediately in that fight, so it was nice of them to make him more of a Wally West-type speedster in the cartoon

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Panfilo posted:

That's gross because in the series they were dating but if Rex was in the tubes that implied they are siblings.

I'd go into it further but if they are going to explore that, it's huuuuuge spoilers for upcoming episodes/side stories

in the comics, Rex is turned over to the government to be a guinea pig, because his family is loving Charlie Bucket poor, and he becomes an assassin, infiltrator, etc. person until he runs into Eve on a mission. He learns that the person who bought him is doing a coup or something within the government because his next target was going to be Cecil, so Rex goes on the run and hunkers down with Eve, and from there they start dating and we slide into current events with them being on the teen team, or whatever

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

unless we're going to get some kind of a reveal later on, Cecil is a pretty big departure from the comic version for this same point. He seems to genuinely care about Mark's mental health, something comics Cecil never seemed to give two shits about for ANY of the supes. Come to think of it, most of the supes are written to have a more team dynamic as compared to the comics. I guess that's an advantage for a tv setting, you can focus on more characters and not have it feel like padding.

I didn't think they were going to lead with Angstrom's story, for some reason I had thought we were gonna spend some more time with Allen the Alien, but alternate realities and dimensions come up all the drat time in the comics, may as well break that bottle early for the show

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

I did appreciate that by introducing Angstrom and AU/AD versions of him and the Mauler Twins that we also got to see versions of both that were different genders, something we didn't see in the comics (from what I remember)

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

it is kind of unfortunate because AU stuff doesn't actually feature heavily in the important stories in the comics, they're more used as an x-factor to either win a pivotal battle, or make Mark suffer (VERY much more the latter than the former) and I have my doubts that Levy is going to feature much in the next few episodes. I think he's being set up as a "well, he's gone insane. Mark's in for a fun time when he shows his face again 3 or so episodes from now". There are waaaaaay more important things to cover, like exploring Mark and Amber having a more fulfilling and, hopefully, functional relationship

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Iirc the Flaxans are in a different dimension that is still within the same universe, which is why they keep coming back to Mark's Earth, specifically.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Sounds like the Knights of the Dinner Table became a point of pride instead of a cautionary tale of "don't be THAT player"

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

VagueRant posted:

Totally missed that the hanging corpses were the guys Darkwing captured in s1e1 and never went back for.

Holy poo poo, that's an amazing catch Darkwing Batman never kills, yeah right

I'm really enjoying what they're doing with Debbie, Eve, and Amber over all. The comics were definitely the Mark show, and most of the stories ended up revolving around how that affects him. Much cooler to see what's going on in their lives when Mark isn't around. With that in mind I'm curious what they're going to do with Eve. With her powers she could probably have done something to not have that disastrous result with the playground, but she's barely an adult like Mark, so most of her learning will come from mistakes

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Mark called him a Professor

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Out of curiosity, since this is a spoiler-free thread, is there another Invincible thread on SA?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

It can not be stated enough how amazing the casting choices for this series are

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Mark was "ok cool" eventually, but initially it freaked him out, it was Eve that was just like "oh, huh, that explains a lot" right from the moment William came out of the closet (I think she walks in on him with a guy?).

To really put into perspective the era the comics were written in, when William first finds out Mark is Invincible, he insists that he take him flying and the panel with them in the air has a William that is pleased as punch, and a frustrated Mark saying "this is so gay". This joke gets repeated again when William finds out that Eve is Atom Eve, insists SHE take him flying, and this time she is the one saying "this is so gay"

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

I think the biggest change there is changing what Nolan says when he's ranting at Mark. In the show he says that he considers Debbie more of a pet, something he never got close to saying in the same moment in the comic. Though with that said, was the audio from what Nolan and Mark were saying to each other broadcast to the world? Or did Cecil keep that contained to just those in the room + the Guardians? If that did go public, Mr. Green Ghost looks like even more of an rear end in a top hat, not that he needs help with that.

I hope we see Olga again so that Debbie can tell her about that bullshit. Even when Nolan was still around and being insidious, Debbie continued supporting Olga, so I think it's fair to say that not all of the group would share the same feeling of anger towards Debbie as proxy for how they feel about Nolan and all of his actions.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Good Citizen posted:

nope

this was early in the mark/nolan fight btw

dang, I remember it having such a punch in the show, I had thought it was new dialogue. It's such a striking line too, I don't know how I forgot that line over two reads of the series

Then again, I remember when I was a kid, reading Lord of the Rings after Fellowship came out and feeling no emotional connection when the Balrog appears. J.K. Simmons and Ian McKellen just brought something to the lines, I guess

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Green Ghost was a guy in the comics, and barely anything about the civilian lives of the Guardians was explored. Heck, the brief exploration in S1E1, where we see what everyone is up to as they get the summons, was more characterization than the comics gave before they get turbo-murdered by Nolan.

I feel there will be some kind of confrontation between Debbie and Olga, but, hopefully, it comes down to them taking that guy to task for being a huge rear end in a top hat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

they may be burning through plot points and arcs from the comics relatively quicker (or dropping some and merging others, in the comics one of the first big things Mark does is go after a teacher at his high school that is abducting students) but I think the overall world is richer, because we spend time with the world outside Mark. When Eve finds out Rex is cheating on her, all that happens is a page of her arriving at HQ, asking where everyone is, stumbling into the shower, seeing Rex and Kate, and reacting in silence. Like other things in the comics (like the "this is so gay" thing I mentioned before) this is how Rex finds out, and the panels from Eve's discovery are basically copied directly and Rex is in Eve's place instead.

I like that the show has the scenes go longer for both Eve and Rex, because it allows exploration of characters that otherwise don't get it. Duplikate never says anything about why she is now with Immortal, she doesn't talk about why she is able to relate to him and couldn't with Rex. Just that extra scene in this last episode gives her more dimension than she got in the entire run of the comic