Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
It's really growing on me. I enjoyed The Boys and this is a slightly different take on that genre.

My initial thought on Omniman- I thought this was some biological thing Vitruvians go through, some sort of "survival of the fittest" in that when one has offspring the parent turns into some rear end in a top hat to ensure the next generation is strong enough to survive and continue the species by having the younger one defeat the older one. Or maybe they're so hyper competitive as a species that the second there's two of them on one planet they'll start to get hostile to one another.

Poor aquarius, little guy seemed so excited when he got the call only to get murked like it was nothing. I'm guessing judging by the contraption Immortal is not gone for good and the CIA has plans for him.

I liked the interdimensional aliens repeatedly coming back over and over. I'm just imagining that alien warlord spending another ten years thinking "THIS TIME we'll win it! No way will they beat us after ten alien years of preparation!". The way Omniman just bodied their entire civilization really showed they wouldn't have gotten ONE try off had he not been in a coma.

I swear one of the guys in the tryouts looked like Saitama, I assume this was deliberate given all the other superhero jokes.

I'm enjoying Demon Detective gathering clues to solve the mystery. And the G men that have to deal with this superhero stuff all the time are fun to watch in action. It's interesting to see all the logistics that go into supporting super heroes. Super Jails also provide great material, I mean can you imagine some cosmic horror getting all excited realizing Thursday is Chicken Pot Pie night?

So which one was the real clone? Some real "I'm Sparticus" energy there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Phenotype posted:

It's a tiny bit more "teen" than I'd prefer, but yeah, this has been a lot of fun so far and the voice cast is unreal. I like the sense of humor it has too. One of the things that sold me was in the second episode, when this demon guy mysteriously shows up, and he's got the trenchcoat and hat and has red skin and talks very forebodingly in his gravelly voice -- and then Cecil is just like "gently caress you rear end in a top hat, you say one word to anyone else and I'll put a goddamn bullet in your brain", just no respect whatsoever. We don't give a poo poo about mysterious demons, either do what you're told or shut the gently caress up.

Demon Dick can't be all that good at his job, otherwise he wouldn't have gotten kicked out of hell.

But I do like the idea of Cecil getting into this yelling match about jurisdiction with a demon. :byodood: "The Baal-Ratzinger Treaty clearly states in plain Latin that homicides in Purgatory and up are our call. Don't make me call the mayor of Elysium again!"

Panfilo fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Apr 2, 2021

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Omni man is pretty sus but who can blame him for wanting to take a vacation? I sure as poo poo am not gonna go fight some dragon when I'm off the clock. Might as well let Cecil put that 5% of the GDP funded military industrial complex to use.

I was just disappointed they didn't sic the Kaiju they scooped up from the previous episode on it. Isn't that why the governnent has a gigantic fridge full of those critters?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

ChuckDeNomolos posted:

one of the funniest bits so far has been how absolutely useless that batman analogue was. just a bag of blood and meat that exploded when omni man got his hands on him and how there was nothing said about his value in the secret funeral. Show feels like it's all over the place, but it makes sense they'd have a project like this that'll bring in people for when the boys is between seasons. i'll probably take a peak at the comics because i love alternate superhero worlds/one offs.
Along those lines, Batman is like the polar opposite of blackwing, in that he's constantly aware of the possibility of the scenario that played out, with Omniman slaughtering them. Honestly I was hoping there would be some sort of red herring 'kryptonite' that would convince blackwing he could stop Omniman only to have the "jokes on you I made that whole thing up to sniff out traitors".

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Why exactly is Robot so close with Monster Girl again? Both characters feeling 'misunderstood' and 'outsiders' feels like a stretch in a universe full of aliens, cyborgs and super beings. Because it was really contrasted with Black Sampson.

Why didn't Cecil tell Omniman he sent Darkblood back to hell? I would figure that would be reassuring and Cecil could play that to his advantage if he knew nobody was investigating him anymore. Acting like they still have him around is going to make Omniman suspicious and try harder to cover his tracks in the whole thing.

Holy poo poo the ovaries on Debbie there. But I guess knowing full well what Omniman is capable of kind of puts you past fear, because what could you do?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Anyone else get some serious Akira vibes in this episode? The ion cannon firing and getting trashed, Robot being this freaky baby mutant, just everything going bonkers with Omniman, that whole vibe?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Caros posted:

I always chalked it up to the same stupidity that has f-tier marvel supervillians robbing banks in downtown Manhattan instead of travelling to Miami to do battle with the likes of Florida man.

Two theories here. One is the 'criminally insane' variety out of Gotham and Central City who simply lack the self regulation to know how unlikely their success will be (or, like Joker, Megamind, etc just seem to enjoy the conflict for its own sake). The other is that even F tier supervillains can often put up a North Hollywood Shootout level of opposition against conventional forces at the very least, and if there's lots of villains but only so many heroes then they can gamble on successfull heists (for the sake of plot even good superheroes are facing an uphill battle in stopping all this stuff, Batman can only be in so many places at once). Also, crooks are going to be where the money is. The banks that store big bags of gold coins aren't setting up in Tampa, they're going to be in Metropolis where godlike superheroes are more likely to protect it. So of course the villains are going to be there too.

Tarquinn posted:

I really like the show. Looking forward to the finale. I am sure it will end on a cliffhanger. :gonk:

One thing that keeps happening in superhero shows that I will never understand is why grunts, especially those who should know better, try to engage demigods with guns. Even after they have seen in person that they are totally ineffectual. I think their leadership must be lying to them: 'Okay squad, I want you to take care of Omni-Man/Homelander. Don't worry, the bullets we have given to you are Omni-Man/Homelander killing bullets. We swear!' *fingerscrossedbehindtheback*

In the case of mooks, I think it's an act of desperation because they are certainly not going to outrun their adversary. From a story perspective it helps establish power levels to have mooks at least try to fight back and it also is a chance to show how courageous unpowered characters can be in the face of impossible odds. Remember in Man of Steel when Christopher Meloni's character was magdumping a SMG into Faora to no effect, pulls out his pistol, empties that, then pulls out a knife to which Faora, almost impressed, replies something to the effect of "It will be a fine death". This reminded me when Omniman confronted Donald, who only really tried to stall him long enough that the other agents can get out of the blast radius. Not to mention the sheer level of planning by Cecil who knew it was inevitable that confrontation was going to happen (they were spying on them from just across the street Fer crying out loud!

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
A superhero immune to 199 bullets a day (resetting once every 24 hours) would be a pretty funny superpower.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Holy hell was that a crazy Finale. Remember in Man of Steel/BvS when they weakly try to illustrate the sheer scale of destruction a superhuman can wreck on society? But it was mostly more of the same, just buildings getting wrecked. Mark vs Nolan was like that without pulling any punches on the human toll. From the subway to the collapsing building, Nolan is repeatedly showing his disdain for humanity as a whole in a really abusive way. It's like some abusive father killing a pet rabbit in front of his son to 'teach' him not to get too attached to animals he'll easily outlive.

Also, probably not a good idea to say out loud "whew that was a close call! Thought I was a goner for sure." when you just tumbled out of an airplane.

One minor gripe I do have is that Monster Girl de ages when she transforms, to the point of needing to limit her training. Yet she hulks out to make this big point to knock Rex Splode down a peg in the auditions, and in this episode she transforms... just to help clean? I figured it would be more interesting if it was like Simon Petrikov where using his crown is an act of absolute desperation but for something that has permanent consequences she seems to transform an awful lot.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

As Nero Danced posted:

I only started watching the show and I'm on episode 5, but very stupid question, to the point I don't want an answer, only to laugh at comic book logic: why doesn't the Mauler mark his clone with a C or something on the bottom of the clone's foot?

I guess it's like a difference between intelligent and smart.

Also would have been funny if It was like Multiplicity and the clone of the clone is degraded.

Edit: VVV Yep, reminds me of Tesla's machine in The Prestige now.

He mentions to Rudy that it's better that either doesn't know/think about it and each believes they are the 'real' one. If one brother was designated as the 'clone' brother then they'd know they were going to be the 'expendible' of the two. The other part of this is when his consciousness gets copied into the clone, there's a 'coin toss' that determines which mind the original ends up in. It's better if both think that they are the original. Since the original mind/body is gonna assume they are 'superior' they will also be confident and if they each think they are #1 then they will be on board with plans vs a duplicate that might be paranoid they were going to get sacrificed.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

BurritoJustice posted:

Both episode 1 and 8 feature Nolan train-ing Mark, what a lovely parallel.

Also he takes him to mount everest early on then later I believe that mountain gets hit so hard it splinters into a bunch of cracks, another nice contrast between their relationship.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

LMAO

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Eve's parents are horrible, but I feel like she kinda latched onto the "siblings" that tried to murder her a bit fast.

I think it's her sense of empathy and the fact that they were the only biological family that she had. Not to mention their contempt was tragic and blameless--most of them hadn't been out of their tubes long enough to even learn to talk. All they knew was that they were inferior versions of her.

Also, man that facial expression shift of Omni man in the stinger was ominous as gently caress!

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Aces High posted:

they may also have one in the tube for Rex as well, in the comics they did two prequels that were specifically to explain where Eve came from (in terms of her unique power set) and then explain her relationship with Rex before Invincible proper shows up.

regardless of all that, holy gently caress Lance Reddick!

That's gross because in the series they were dating but if Rex was in the tubes that implied they are siblings.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I thought it was so dumb how she died. Yeah human reaction to seeing your friends slaughtered but you have the power to be incorporeal for crying out loud. What was Omniman gonna do if she just phased through your floor and took off? Keep chasing her until the ghost effect wore off? Drill his body straight through the earth's core to make sure she couldn't get away?

Honestly at least that would have been cooler, to demonstrate just how far beyond he is to other superheroes.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Adrianics posted:

I haven't read any of the comics but obviously got some Kang the Conquerer vibes from the new villain, I think the saving grace of the multiverse in Invincible is at least there's no danger of LOOK WHO IT IS cameos, I'm looking forward to seeing more of the evil versions of Omniman and Invincible; Omniman's so goofy and having a good time :3:

:byodood: "Can we hurry it up here Mark I'M HUNGRY WE SHOULD'VE GOTTEN LUNCH AN HOUR AGO" sounding like you got sucked into helping your kid with some errand that is taking way too goddamn long to finish.

I find it amusing the Mauler twins keep getting screwed over lmao I bet there wasn't even a dimension with no superheroes but good food, it would be some twilight zone where it rains donuts but the only thing actually edible is plants made of pure asbestos or something.

Did Angstroms machine work? I couldn't tell based on his lines at the end.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

yook posted:

The first episode of the first season opens with them attacking the white house, though I can't actually remember why.

"Remember, it's about sending a message". They were attacking the white house to likely intimidate the president out of supporting superheros, which they hate. They just want to do their super science in peace.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
What I don't get is why they need to "weaken" the planet in the first place. When the Viltrumites roll in they'll crush all the resistance anyway. We also don't even get a timetable of when they'll actually show up

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Jedit posted:

A lot of very serious stuff in that episode, overshadowing one absolute gem:

"Marry me? What do you think we are, savages? We abolished that law."

"OK, what's the new law?"

"Trial by combat!"

Show had a ton of gems!

"You're like, Doctor Seismic right?"
" Doc seismic. I never taught. "

"Where did you come from?"
"I was born a normal human baby...on earth"

"I was his assistant. We consider 'sidekick' an offensive term"

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Open Source Idiom posted:

This episode had a lot of goofy poo poo and it made me laugh. Lotta second generation Justice League characters.

God the current Justice League is just a bunch of annoying twits. Don't mind Normal Human Guy though.

Seems weird that Marc had never heard of the magical dome of perpetual night.

Friend pointed out that this season seems to be Marc's struggle with heroism / violence, as represented by the title card cracking. We're guessing that this season (or ep 4) ends with him killing Armstrong.

Extreme Venture Bros. energy to both him and the Lizard League.

I love the face palm gesture of the second-in-command as Serpentor is trying to convince his little army that they aren't a total joke.

Was snake king in the flashback scene when Atom Eve's mom was going into labor? I remember they attacked the lab and I think there was snakemom and her snake son fighting.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
The space fight was cool in that the sound effects were very muted (obviously no sound in space). But those Viltrumites need to work on their interrogation techniques. Seems they lost patience too fast and it didn't seem like they got any information out of Allen.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Aces High posted:

Green Ghost was a guy in the comics, and barely anything about the civilian lives of the Guardians was explored. Heck, the brief exploration in S1E1, where we see what everyone is up to as they get the summons, was more characterization than the comics gave before they get turbo-murdered by Nolan.

I feel there will be some kind of confrontation between Debbie and Olga, but, hopefully, it comes down to them taking that guy to task for being a huge rear end in a top hat

In the Atom Eve special he's also a guy and I think the father of the one killed by omniman. The powers were from some amulet or stone that I guess can just be passed on to another person.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
They forgot to mention that Rudy gave her a belt that keeps her from de aging when she transforms. So the two of them will age up normally at this point I guess.

Admin Edit: Reported as a spoiler so I tagged it. Is it? I dunno but it's done.!

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
So she can just reabsorb her duplicates? They just... Walk behind her and vanish, it's weird. They're all simultaneously her, yet can move and talk independently of one another, and it appears she can feel what they all feel. So every time one of them dies, it's like dying.

Also, it's a previous season thing, but it always cracked me up how the Mauler twins go through this effort to reanimate the immortal only for him to IMMEDIATELY Leeroy Jenkins himself into Omniman. In spite of being technically immortal each death puts him out of commission for quite some time.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Megillah Gorilla posted:

So season 1 had a literal demon from hell.

How does that work with alien planets? Do they have their own hells, or is there just the one?

What would a bug world demon look like?

Darkblood I assumed was basically kicked out of hell for being an insufferable loser. He was chilling on earth bring an insufferable loser because he was sure mortals didn't have any way of sending him back until Cecil got his rear end deported.

I'd like to assume earth is like the most unpleasant place you could get sent from hell and that's why he's there, and that they could theoretically send him anywhere if they wanted.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I'm trying to imagine how you develop into a spacefaring civilization when your people only live 1 year. Also you'd think that would be the first hurdle they'd try to overcome.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Did Rex have a Homelander type origin story? I feel like his comments suggest he was grown in a lab.

As for surviving the bullet, he's a superhero. We don't know what kind of built in resilience he has in spite of the physical injuries.

I was almost expecting him to turn out to be a cyborg like Donald and the other guy

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
That poor astronaut is going to go eat a bullet after going through all that.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I feel like there's a lot of potential for interesting spin offs in these comic universes. Like they dip their toe in some concepts I think could be a full fledged series in itself.

One aspect is medical facilities that specialize in treating superheroes. Monster Girls injury was complicated by her morphing back and forth uncontrollably. Mark had to have his intestines repaired when he got nearly killed by Battle Beast. Viltrumites seem nigh invulnerable which makes you wonder how you perform surgery? Will Rex's powers be affected by the loss of his hand?

In the last episode we see that the government also has people specialized in raising young superheroes. I'd say the Boys universe at least covered this somewhat though in that case all supes were man made via compound v and in the Invincible universe there's paranormal stuff (Darkblood getting exorcized to keep him out of Cecil's hair, Kate and Monster Girls power being various curses).

That also makes me wonder how Donnie Darkblood is doing. I bet Satan is super annoyed to see him again, imagining this guy barging into Satan's office for the 666th time going like "Boss I have all the evidence Omniman killed the guardians just send me back so I can solve this once and for all!" and Satan being like "I already talked to Cecil they figured it out on their own for the last time I am not renewing your visa"

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
How exactly do Nolans books end up being relavent? Is there something I'm missing?

I'm assuming he wrote from his experiences actually conquering planets and all that, maybe it's a way to give Mark an idea how the Viltrum empire operates?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Did Vidor and Thula survive the fight with Nolan previously? We see that Viltrunites are incredibly resilient. In addition to being virtually impervious to injury from ion cannons and whatnot, even grievous wounds seem survivable. They also seem to have technology that can allow them to recover from severe injuries.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I don't know, Vidor got his head smashed pretty badly. Gonna take all the kings horses to put him back together again.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Probably. He gets his head crushed when Nolan smashes his fists into both sides. This itself doesn't kill him immediately, he's seen staggering backwards but then when he falls down Nolan is crushing his head even further by jamming his boot on top of him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I wonder what method Viltrunites use to execute their apostates? Shoot them into the sun?