Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Casnorf posted:

I like the complaining about gore and whatnot when the true horror of a man beating his son to a pulp 'for his own good' is just sort of glossed right over. The gore is there to distract you, and it's working, hahaha. That poo poo's horrifying.

Yeah, the entirety of Episode 8 is some really exceptional parenting from Nolan. The back to back combination of using his son to Man of Steel an entire city, followed by "Your mother's life is pointless", followed by the comment that he's been lying to Mark his whole life. And it just gets worse from there!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Personally, I'd like to see the subversive take of "Superman is a good guy and fights for world peace". :v:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I really love how Nolan swings from "Earth would benefit from joining us. This is for their own good." to "I hate all of these sub-human meatbags and their lives are inconsequential and worthless.", yet there are probably people who still think he's right.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

ungulateman posted:

the first half of the first episode had me double checking that this wasn't some weird situation where somebody couldn't get the rights to the justice league characters because the pastiche is that thin

It still makes me laugh that there's a character named Martian Man, which is about as on the nose of a reference as you can get.

I suppose it does help that he's Martian Manhunter + Plastic Man, though.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

My take on it is that neither side handled it well. I feel like Amber could've been more willing to talk things out once he revealed his secret instead of being immediately dismissive, but taking secrets that concern your physical well-being into a relationship also isn't great.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Yeah, I think there's a weird audience assumption that everyone has to like the main character and acquiesce to their wants, otherwise they're a bad person.

Personally, I think Eve would be a better match for Mark than Amber if only because they're both in that line of work and she'd be able to deal with it better, but I don't really understand the vitriolic hate that Amber gets. Relationships are kind of a social thing, so it kind of sucks when you want to introduce your S/O to your parents, but he never has time because he's too busy getting ripped in half by a tiger man, so now you look like a fool in front of the people that matter to you and, even on the off chance you actually knew his secret, you couldn't explain why.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I dunno, it seemed like most powers were straightforward enough to understand aside from maybe Eve's, and she didn't use the crazier aspects of her powers until she started living on her own and experimenting with them.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I thought it was just a poorly drawn symbol, but it did make me confused the first time I noticed it.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Aces High posted:

It says something about Nolan's opinion of non-Viltrumites (and his character in general) when he says that Red Rush was sub-tier because super speed isn't "a primo super power" yet when you pay attention to the fight against the Guardians you notice that Red Rush actually contributes the most out of everyone. He constantly moves people out of the way of Nolan's blows, he still lays a pretty good licking on him. Red Rush, as a Flash knock-off, is pretty terrifying in terms of capabilities

I have to imagine he was pretty salty about Red Rush getting in the way of so many of his kills.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Man, I completely missed the pay-off of the cold opens of Episode 1 and 2. The kid who digs up Immortal's grave is the son of the guy talking about how he's reconnecting with his adopted kid.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Do you think Battle Beast could've beaten up Nolan?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Kinda sucks that Sinclair got away with everything, though.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I don't know what the actor's deal is, but his character sure is insufferable.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Ah, I getcha. I kinda feel that way about Richard Epcar, though he does have range in some roles. I wonder if he just gets typecast into a specific voice.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Mike N Eich posted:

I do think he's lying to himself about his wife - I think he has a lot of true affection and admiration for her, otherwise why would he treat her as basically on the same footing as him for so long? If he regarded with her as much contempt as he says he does to Mark, he wouldn't have shrunk from her as he does several times during the series. He's not that good at acting given he flies into a rage in several other points and unleashes it on others. He however cannot reconcile that feeling with his thousands of years of contempt for lesser species and the knowledge her lifespan is several magnitudes shorter than his (and his overall mission).

It's obviously not a good relationship with his wife, given that he's lying and gaslighting her for decades, but I don't think she means nothing to him. At least in the context of the show, I have no idea about the comics.

He has absolutely been lying to himself about that. She tells him to gently caress off twice after making it plain she knows he killed the Guardians and he doesn't so much as attempt to yell at her, let along intimidate or enact any kind of retribution.

ruddiger posted:

also, I like Mantzouskis’ Rex Splode.

I don't have a problem with the voice. I just find the character to be a complete shithead.

He gets a bit better towards the end, but still a shithead.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Aug 22, 2021

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Oh geez, I would've thought the voice work would've been long done by now.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I'm not too familiar with the comics, but is this the part of the story with Conquest?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

So many evil Superman deconstructions good lord

Are there only 2 writers that can handle making a story where he helps people without irony or something?

It's kind of bizarre that the most standard Superman-esque stories nowadays seem to be "What if Superman was evil?" or "What if Batman punched Superman in the face?"

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Omni-Man also got into Mortal Kombat recently.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Eve's parents are horrible, but I feel like she kinda latched onto the "siblings" that tried to murder her a bit fast.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Oh, by the way, are there two Green Ghosts in the comics? Because the one in this special was a man, but the one at the start of the series was a woman?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Yeah, I'd heard Green Ghost was a man in the comics. I guess the cartoon continuity has him pass on the amulet to someone else. I would have to assume the original died or retired or something, otherwise he could just take up the role again unless Nolan got rid of the thing after he killed Alana.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Yeah, it seems like a case of a successor, which makes sense given there's at least an 18 year time gap between Eve being born and the events of Season 1.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Show Spider-Man!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

lmao at Evil AU Mark actually getting to say Invincible without it cutting to the title card.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I went and looked at the comics and I was surprised to find that Robot is still a deformed man at this point. Mark is also a lot more blasé about the warehouse explosion killing the Maulers and Angstroms.

Takes No Damage posted:

Then at the very end it's still a different character who slams to title. Wonder if it will be a different random character every episode this time?

It was random in the first season, too. I remember Mark, Sinclair, and Robot all delivering the title card line off the top of my head.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Adrianics posted:

I feel like I must have missed something.

How is Donald alive again?

It will be addressed. Eventually.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Angstrom should have just portal'd Invincible to another dimension and finished his work.

Granted, he would've had to deal with the discount Teen Titans afterwards, but still.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Nov 4, 2023

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

They did. It was called Angstrom Levy. :v:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Man, I make one comment on an Invincible video about how creepy it is that Mark's AU counterpart is just smiling as he goes to execute some helpless civilians and now my feed is just constantly people going "Uh, how is he evil? He's literally right." or "They shouldn't have joined a resistance."

Can there be one single form of media that doesn't just immediately form a "The bad guys are right actually" sect of the fanbase?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I feel like the developers of Mortal Kombat had fun coming up with lines for Omni-Man. There's a reference to both Spider-Man 1 and Whiplash. :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_LfjQHEeVE

Mirror matches are even explained as being caused by Levy. There's at least one intro and Omni-Man's ending which mention future characters, though.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Nov 10, 2023

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I am genuinely surprised that the Immortal/Duplikate relationship was preserved.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Eve and her father have this weird relationship where I feel like the both of them are so close to understanding each other, but then one of them just says the wrong thing and it causes the other to respond very negatively and very adamantly.

Granted, Eve is just now 18 while her father is a grown man, so it looks much worse for him. The sexism also doesn't help.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

The title of this episode sure is a thing.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

The house-hunter husband seemed pretty normal right up until he said they weren't buying the house, at which point he just did a complete 180 and sprinted like crazy in the opposite direction he'd been going up to that point.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I mean, they got to live in a universe that isn't ravaged, so it seems like a sweet deal provided the procedure didn't kill them.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

New episode dropped.

Debbie, you can't just say Invincible and not summon the title screen. That's illegal.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

everydayfalls posted:

I have never been to a 12 step like program so maybe this is reading into things. But did it seem like he was hitting on her? He seemed like kind of a terrible person before he name dropped his ex but then he casually breaks the first rule of their group, huge red flag. In the end he lacks the brain power to realize Nolan is her abuser and goes off in a huff. Low class dude.

Maybe? He could have just been trying to help her open up given how he comments on being in a similar position until recently. I don't really think "Hey, want to hear me talk about my dead wife?" is really part of the standard pickup, though.

While I don't think he handled the situation well at all, I could see how, from his point of view, Debbie didn't "lose" anything given Mark and Nolan both survived while Green Ghost is still dead.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I, for one, believe in our good friend Hugh Man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Eve being Atom Eve feels like it shouldn't be something that needs to be revealed unless you've just never heard of her before or seen her face.

I wonder if there's a Superman-esque explanation for how no one recognizes her or Nolan as civilians.