Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Boy my opinion of Atom Eve sure changed over the show. At first I thought she was pink Starfire. But then oh wait no she's more like Raven and Starfire combined- wait still no, she's like a pink Green Lanter- Okay still no, a combination of Green Lantern and Firestorm.

Wonder how they're going to take things in the future. Are they going to use Omni-Man's blood to try and make their own clone like Superboy or are they gonna start putting it in people and make some pseudo Viltrumitians.

It's also very refreshing to have a superhero setting that seems actively hostile to having a status quo forever after 32 Marvel movies that're having massive changes in the world at about 1/40 the speed they happen in the real world despite the aliens and magic and etc. It's probably just that I haven't been reading/watching the right stuff beyond this but it was cool how many plates this show's spinning between the Mars hivemind, the Flaxens, that revived green mummy thing, stuff like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

starkebn posted:

I'm pretty sure you see Mark level up at least in two seperate episodes. I can't remember exactly where, but there was two, maybe more, different fights where he has basically had enough and there is like a blast and he knocked the poo poo out of whoever he's fighting. I think one was when the new guardians were fighting amongst themselves at their trial?

It was one of the Flaxan invasions where Atom Eve had her airway blocked and she was about to be killed by their general or whatever and the MachineHead fight before the new Guardians showed up.

Speaking of which, how far along into the comic is Battle Beast supposed to show up, because everyone keeps going 'No yeah that about tracks with his strength as established so far.'

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I now get the impression that on the rare occasions that The Immortal is killed that he can always be put back together.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I think that regardless of ethnicity, everyone should've had a Mu ren Zhuang in their room.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

One emotion at a tine for humans. If you're mad at someone you stay that way like a glitched Sim.
Even if they get hit by a bus.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Mr Interweb posted:

i'm seeing people give amber a pass for acting the way she does cause she's a teenager, but wouldn't a more appropriate teenager reaction be "HOLY poo poo, MY BOYFRIEND'S A GODDAMNED SUPERHERO :dance: " ?

But they're everywhere though. If they were new and just showing up like Marvel, DC and The CW likes to present it, that'd probably work but there's at least one or two teenage superhero teams out there now so eh. Stop making promises and blowing them by 3 hours you jackass. Just don't agree in the first place if you can't keep the commitment!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

If Amber wants to be such a hero why doesn't she stop working at the soup kitchen and go get nearly beaten to death by her dad like Mark does?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Ccs posted:

I think it's partially explained by his failures in earlier parts of the relationship, but also a bit of a writing problem because they really wanted it to be a big reveal when Amber admits that she knew for weeks, so they've got to keep their cards close to their chest and write as if she didn't know. That's why we don't get any reaction shots to her being concerned when Invincible is being pounded by the Reanimen or anything. I mean, she's seeing her boyfriend put up a tough fight to save people but as far as the writers want viewers to think at that point, she's just seeing a superhero arrive to save them.

They should've used some of the leftover Nolan tension and added that to Amber's scenes when she was mad at Mark.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

This comic book takes the violence too seriously, which is bad. It should be more like Mortal Kombat and have people taking selfies with the chunks of former civilians and making heart-shaped holes in people's torsos. That's that good poo poo. Proper gore makes you laugh.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

It's a wonder that this show got as popular as it did, despite it not having a stunning opening like the first 2 minutes of the walking dead. No way people can stick to a show for 3 episodes these days.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

But that's the whole point. Its the cliche scene where she finds out; except here it doesn't matter and she dumps him anyways. That's the whole point.

The whole show is taking superhero cliches and seeing them a different way. Like superman killing the justice league.

Casnorf posted:

Giving you a standard plot beat and the twisting the reactions to it are kind of the Invincible modus operandi.

Some people are just tired of standard plot beats even if they shake things up. Like if I were to tell you about my crazy new idea for a Batman origin story and it starts on the night his parents were killed would you really want to hear it at this point?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm annoyed he didn't aim at Omni-man's throat instead of his chest.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The show looks like it's for kids like a worse animated Generator Rex right up until they start doing Fatalities on people and suddenly it looks like it might be palatable for the sophisticated adult actually.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Yeah, but Covid's like wind chill. It's been 2 years, feels like 11

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

So many evil Superman deconstructions good lord

Are there only 2 writers that can handle making a story where he helps people without irony or something?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

It's kind of bizarre that the most standard Superman-esque stories nowadays seem to be "What if Superman was evil?" or "What if Batman punched Superman in the face?"

I watch just a few Karl Smallwood videos because I know basically nothing about any comic book events that aren't animated and suddenly youtube thinks I wanna see 'Spider-Man HUMBLES the Avengers' and 'Ant Man puts Hawkeye in his place' and other garbage like that. It's never heroes fighting villains, it's always barely justified deep-sigh reasons like I'm going through the story mode of a fighting game and they really want Michelangelo to fight Cyborg.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Amazon Prime November 3rd

Finally, a date again. drat was that a long wait.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Senor Tron posted:

Here's maybe a weird question.

Other than binging Full Metal Alchemist with a former housemate, I've never got into any anime.

Is Invincible the equivalent of what it's like in Japan, but with multiple adult animated series airing each year?

You wanna get 11% weird? Watch Big O and check out what an anime made by a team that loves Bruce Wayne and big robots looks like.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I feel like people are way over-exaggerating the multi-verse trend. its always been a fairly common thing in sci-fi, and there doesn't seem to be any more stuff with it than usual. Maybe its because mainstream ultra-popular stuff has it.

I'm still locked in on enjoying it because as I was growing up Cartoon Network was either having tons of alternate/evil worlds in their shows or having the cartoons have crossover events like Fred Flintstone or Numbuh 3 being in a Billy and Mandy movie, or that Generator Rex & Ben 10 crossover thing and now I'm just unbothered by anything. Link, Darth Vader, Lloyd Irving, Ezio Auditore, Kratos and 2B in Soulcalibur? Sure why not? Super Robot Wars, Marvel vs Capcom, M.U.G.E.N., the entire conceit of the Smash Brothers series, Sonic the Hedgehog comics, I'm sure that at least 4 Star Trek series have had either an evil world or parallel dimension episode, etc etc you get the point.

I dunno, I don't really mind them at all. They're just a type of story as far as I'm concerned, like the rare musical, dream or body swap scenario.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

eves dad is annoying

Why couldn't he have been on that train last season

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

I don’t think they seem particularly advanced, they are just very individually powerful and have used that bully everyone else around them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jwL1lpkmRs

Look at their city. They've built space ships to cross the galaxy. They're pretty advanced, even if they don't have teleporters and ray guns.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

GateOfD posted:

i mean advanced compare to Earth of course, because earth sucks. But compared to every other planet we seen in the alliance that all seem to have space traveling tech. as well? Maybe a little more advanced.

what do they actually do with it once they actually conquer a planet?

I imagine it's make more Viltrumites and keep expanding the empire?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Open Source Idiom posted:

Sure, but I can't think of an example, ever, that aired four episodes, waited four months, then aired another four episodes, and then stopped for another six months to a year maybe. Hence OP pointing out that this is unusual even by those standards.

Castlevania? Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Stone Ocean?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I sure hope that Cecil is draining as many barrels of Mark's blood as possible when he shows up beaten and crumpled up like an old receipt after nearly every fight. It'd be very selfish of him to hold onto cells that regenerative while shirking hero work to do useless human filler stuff like sleep or cook dinner for him and his mom.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

Look, all I'm saying is Mark should be running on a big hamster wheel like in that comic about Superman being a transitional energy source

I hope next season shows us a little bit of an (Evil)Heroic Invincible that's living up to their full potential. Liquifying a son/daughter because they're perfect genetic matches to each other that you can easily stitch a hole in the parent.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Y'know, I don't think that Rudy has shown anyone his original body before he got his new one. It would probably help people get where he's coming from and why he barely shows any emotion on his face. I hope that comes up in the future, I know there's lots of comic to go.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

This whole time you all were talking about Viltrumite women ages and I thought you meant that lady that gutted Mark with her hair-knife.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Open Source Idiom posted:

Yeah, I've no idea what the gently caress is happening here. They're fascists.

Yeah, but they say they're going to make the world better though! What reason would we have to not agree to accept their help? Footage of Chicago massacre plays in the background

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Spanish Matlock posted:

The Earth global superpower is desecrating the corpses of fallen soldiers to make zombie supermen.

Edit: It feels like people are misunderstanding here, fascists aren't bad because they're fascists, they're bad because of what they do. The Viltrumites have done some hosed up poo poo, but not really by comparison to what we've seen other people do.

Yes, Earthlings are committing war crimes in the pursuit of 'The Greater Good' but not for fun or racial purity. I'm conflicted because it's for the purpose of stopping a singular space alien from flying across the planet so quickly that they ignite our atmosphere, killing the entire population, but it's also extremely immoral.

Y'know what, I guess I'm just fine with evil if it's for a good reason. If you have to cut off a civilian's arm to decapitate a supervillain, I think I'm willing to accept that loss. Especially if you get them a prosthetic or get them to a hospital fast enough to reattach it.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The most leeway I can give people is that I don't know how infamous the Stormfront website is in every country.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

37 minutes in is a complaint I have with every type of security system

Just break the wall around the door! If the door's laser guarded or whatever, smash or cut through the sides and start pulling wires out! And in this case, just put a hole inside around the heavy door instead of lifting the thing!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

It's pretty crazy Dupli-Kate didn't like hold back her "prime" self in, like, a different ZIP code from their mission or something.

Bookmarking dis post

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Angstrom's problem was tunnel visioning on Mark and completely ignoring his father who was the superior warrior and what he should've been trying to build himself strong enough to surpass.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

If there was a guy with invulnerability, why wasn't he the first guy they called?

On another mission? The show seems to present the world like Cecil is the only person who gets teleporting technology.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Spoilers I appreciate: 'In the comic that wasn't a knock-off Doctor Octopus and Spider-Man they were the actual Marvel characters and Mark and Peter have an extended heartfelt conversation together'

Spoilers I don't need: 'Is Space Racer a real character or something made up by Omni-Man entirely, will Anissa have a face-turn like Nolan is currently, will Oliver gain any powers by the end of the show'

Piell posted:

I can't stand the way this show does black eyes, just two big purple smooching lips

MiddleOne posted:

It just looks so weird and I can't believe they were so proud of it they did it thrice in the same episode.

That'll happen when they're swollen shut.

I am sure that you can guess what this is from context clues. Don't click it if you don't want to see it.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

https://twitter.com/reza825_/status/1776155492005322914

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Technocrat posted:

I thought I heard the GDA troops teleport in this episode, when they showed up. That or they were just waiting for Cecil's expensive entrance

Cloaking

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iY_ZIvEZwFI

Also, again, people can be in other places when chaos ensues. If the Guardians are out in Italy dealing with a ghost ship crewed by skeleton pirates off the coast of Tuscany and a scientist accidentally turns his entire laboratory staff into incomplete werewolves it's not like they can all say 'Everyone, hop the panel in this comic book and we'll be there faster than Speedy Gonzales!'

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Mr. Nemo posted:

"i think i miss my wife"

Nah man, gently caress you, i really hope he does die after they defeat the viltrumite empire or whatever, he does not get a redemption arc

This isn't a Marvel or DC comic but I am still confident that it will follow the same path as those and end with Omni-Man either dead for his past crimes or in jail and being further radicalized as a consequence, much like all of Batman's Villains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Someone should tell J.K Simmons that he's too good for this then