Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Tick got cancelled because it was one of the most expensive to make TV shows of all time. Tick's suit was very expensive CGI, and filming on location in New York isn't cheap either.

It also had a weird release schedule, and those hurt shows more than anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
If I heard the show correctly, this version of Wonder Woman is called War Woman. Which is basically perfect, as far as zero effort brand name knockoffs go.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

apatheticman posted:

Yeah I don't know how any showrunner would look at the Walking Dead and with another property he made go "lets stick to Kirkman's entire vision".

It's a Seth Rogen / Evan Goldberg joint -- Preacher, The Boys -- so they're not going to literally adapt the comic.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I did not read the comics, but I'll put this in spoilers because I don't know I felt the show made this pretty obvious but, re: omni-man's motivations: isn't it pretty on-the-nose and even explicit that HE IS the Alien invader who is taking over the earth? everything he describes to his son is basically just imperialist apologia. .

Idk, especially the delivery of Earth is not YOURs to conquer made it feel like it wasn't supposed to be too mysterious. I think.

Yeah, I think the show's been pretty straightforward about his motivations. It's using subtext, but it's not like it's not completely straightforward in delivering that.

See also: the way the John Carpenter pastiche plays out. Pretty clever stuff, and not the kind of intertextual play I expected from Robert Kirkman.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
The Boys is more of a satire, interested in the horror of the ubermensch.

Invincible is a dark fantasy drama superbeings, that takes their world seriously. But it's still a comic book world, with enough differences so as to be legally distinct. The superbeings are scary, but what they do is essentially, pragmatically good.

That's not a knock, I like both, but I currently prefer Invicible. Feels like it has more to say than the second season of The Boys.

But they're different.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

Btw how long does it take for Mark to realize what his dad was up to?

Impossible to say. The way this comic has been adapted, it's both already happened and yet to happen.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah that felt a little out of place to me too, and wouldn't the Demon Detective have found it when he was snooping around in a previous episode?

Pretty sure Omniman put it there for her to find, after he found out she's on to him.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

BurritoJustice posted:

They already have Max Burkholder cast for (a future character) which is further along than I'd expect for the first season

Animation's commissioned in blocks that don't line up with traditional seasons, because of the long lead times for making the art -- in a lot of cases two seasons are commissioned at once, but Netflix has definitely handed out some full series orders for its animated shows. So that could be a factor.

Mod edit: Removed spoilers

Somebody fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Apr 14, 2021

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Next wave would be one of the very few adaptations where Marvel creator payment policy is commendable.

Not really. Work is work.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Heliotrope posted:

I figured he wasn't planning on staying around but the team put up enough of a fight to knock him out. If he had been able to leave after killing everyone, he might not have been suspected.

I'd argue that'd make him more suspicious. Attention is drawn to him by virtue of him not being there.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Wait, Omniman isn't a member of the Super Earth Friends? (or whatever they're called)

I assumed he was, because he's there helping them out at the start, and his wife and the Flash's wife seem to be doing that military wives club thing.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

MiddleOne posted:

Feel really difficult to revert to the status quo after this episode, is it wild ride-mode until the end of the season? :munch:

There's one episode left.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Phenotype posted:

Yup, new Robot's voice suuuucks, just super flat and boring (and not in a way that feels like the actor's doing it on purpose because he's been a bottle boy for so long).

I suspect it's purposeful, given that Ross Marquand also plays The Imortal (and the Aquaman knockoff too).

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Phenotype posted:

Even that doesn't make sense, though, because it's not like he's been secluded or anything, and he's shown he knows how to use, like, inflection and stuff when he was talking through the Robot suit. They really should have kept the original actor.

Well, no, but my point is that I doubt it's down the voice actor.

I suspect the plan is to modulate the performance over time, to compliment the character's arc.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

This post is full of comics spoilers and you should fix that.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Apr 24, 2021

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Collapsing Farts posted:

Preacher had potential but it got weaker as it went on. I never saw the last season. Was it worth the watch?

MiddleOne posted:

The final season has a lot of cool stuff going on. I'd say it's slightly weaker than the 1st but way stronger than 2nd and 3rd.

Yeah, I'd agree. The first three or so episodes of Season 4 are pretty, like, how's it going, but the back part of the season is really good. Helps that they got their budget back, finally.

Season 3 isn't so bad, to be honest. I don't remember too much about it, I probably should give it a rewatch.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Brendan Rodgers posted:

I watched all of that Mob Psycho clip that was posted to be fair to it, and it was one of the dullest things I've ever seen.

It's got some cool stretchy animation, but the visual continuity is poop and the (translated?) dialogue is trash.

Also if they can both fly, why does the mean dude try to drop the blond dude? He can fly!

The sequence is both, yes, quite expensive and often quite well animated, but I feel like they're doing all these little tricks (predominantly all that close up) to hide the blocking and geography of the fight. I wonder if they farmed the scene out to a dozen or so different animators, which would make the extreme segmentation a logistical choice.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Collateral posted:

Final Space? Also featuring the voice talent of one SY. It's good.

Final Space is smoothly animated, but its writing isn't great.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Oxyclean posted:

I was expecting the security guard at the start to die since it was the tropey "3 days till retirement" sort of thing.

Speaking of this, this plot, uh, didn't go anywhere did it?

I remember his kid was in Episode 6, but I fell asleep in it and never bothered to go back.

I also distinctly remember an ancient zombie dude that turned up for about thirty seconds before never being referenced again, in the Mars episode. At the time I chalked it up to some weird metaphorical stuff, along the lines of the John Carpenter pastiche present in the rest of the episode, but I was pretty sure it was set on Earth and never gets referenced again either.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Oxyclean posted:

Huh, guess I missed the thing in the following episode. Then what was the US flag shifting about, about? It didn't seem the parasites had shapeshifting/mimicry, and they didn't seem small enough to like, hide as a small detail on someone's suit. What made sense to me was a martian (who maybe got parasited) shapeshifted into an astronaut - while one real infected astronaut got left behind. I'm wagering that the whole "parasites can't get martians because of their shapeshifting" isn't totally true, and the parasites just let the Martians believe that until they had a way off.

I assumed it was two things: a Martian infiltrator on the shuttle and a possessed human still on Mars.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Good Citizen posted:

If you're looking for long contained comic runs that have pretty consistent art/direction and they don't necessarily need to be superheroes then Y: The Last Man and Fables are options. There are plenty of others but I just saw those yesterday when scrolling comixology and remembered enjoying them, so they're fresh on my mind. I'd probably need to dig out my old external drive to give many other recommendations but there's always BSS for that too

I don't have a problem with political narratives, but for those of you who get frustrated with Libertarians I'd recommend not reading Fables.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
He's a really good superman. It's what I like about the show; it's just Superman without the baggage.

I don't know how the show is going to survive next season, without the very specific tension Omniman brought to the show AKA it can't keep on doing the Homelander thing anymore. I don't know if I'm that interested in watching a generic superman show, even with Bad Dad and his army of Space Fash.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

She said she's 25

And Robot is 30, which is the only way I can really interpret the consent dimension here.

The entire situation is so wonky that typical issues concerning child abuse and sexual proprietary are just impossible to navigate.

It's not like the series sexualises Monster Girl.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Activism is a central theme of the show, it's just greatly overshadowed by all the Bad Dad drama.

I assume that, going by the end of Season 1, Season 2 is going to have basically no Bad Dad drama, meaning they'll actually have time to explore all of Mark's subplots. So that's the point where they can drawn a line between Atom Eve and Dr Seismic and talk about activism and direct action.

Tbh, the arc of the show's first season was pretty clearly defined about two episodes in. I'm keen to see what Season 2 looks like, since it'll have to be very different. Will it find something to say while growing past its initial set up (e.g. Happy Valley season 2) or will it fall into subplot hell (e.g. The Boys season 2)? Who knows. ~*wiggles fingers*~

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
The last I heard the second season is still only four episodes long, so I'm tempering my expectations accordingly.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I honestly have no memory of where I first heard it, but if imdb matches then I dunno what else to say.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I just watched the Atom Eve special and, how to say this, why did they bother?

I assume it's to keep people engaged / rebuild hype after the incredibly long delay between seasons.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Can we keep this thread comic chat and spoiler free, please?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

LividLiquid posted:

You're not wrong, but buddy, you quoted the part where I said "and this killed the rise of fascism."

This is still the wrong way around though.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
This episode had a lot of goofy poo poo and it made me laugh. Lotta second generation Justice League characters.

God the current Justice League is just a bunch of annoying twits. Don't mind Normal Human Guy though.

Seems weird that Marc had never heard of the magical dome of perpetual night.

Friend pointed out that this season seems to be Marc's struggle with heroism / violence, as represented by the title card cracking. We're guessing that this season (or ep 4) ends with him killing Armstrong.

a seagull posted:

I really like Doc Seismic as a villain. Always has a vaguely well-intentioned goal but he goes about it in the most concussed way possible.

Extreme Venture Bros. energy to both him and the Lizard League.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I like this show, but this subplot with all the lame X-Men (or whatever) is super loving boring. They just sit around and squabble a lot, there's not actually a plot here. It's sort of like a badly formed sitcom.

I like the alien normal man though. He's kinda fun, though that doesn't actually fix the problem.

Also the gag it looks like the episode is going to be about Allen the Alien and then they just brutally kill him halfway through was pretty good, but the back half of the episode just sort of had nothing to do with the first half and sort of floundered back in subplot hell.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I thought this season (which, as far as I know was what these four episodes were commissioned as before Amazon ordered another eight) was kinda sloppy and mediocre. I don't think it did a good job condensing what's a fairly busy show down to four episodes, resulting in a lot of parallel go nowhere plotlines -- the third episode was by far the worst at this. The first half is a self contained Allen thing (good) but then it randomly stops and the back half is a bunch of subplots that play out with that typical soap opera structure (i.e. lots of cutting, no macro structure). They'd probably have done better to have cut the entire teen titans aubplot, since it accomplishes nothing and basically exists as its own separate siloed show within a show. Also I don't like the characters, which doesn't help much.

As for the finale, I found the Nolan subplot a bit contrived (with the dramatically convenient arrival of the Viltrumites), but the biggest thing that stood out to me was how dumb Mark was. His first reactions to finding out about Nolan's new family is racism -- IMO clearly part of the arc here, where the character is getting darker and more hostile -- but then there's this ludicrous "you left mum for another woman" stuff which sort of implies Mark wants his parents to get back together.

All that I basically buy, since Mark really doesn't strike me as particularly bright, though I reckon Nolan's redemption tour is a bit harder to get on board with. Not sure i buy the show's argument that his emplacement as supreme leader of the bug people was entirely consensual tbh.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, like I said, I buy that. It's also just really funny that he's seen his dad mass murdering hundreds of people and watched his mother fall into chronic depression and he's still holding a candle for them. There's no switch in his head that's flipped for the guy, because on some subconscious level he doesn't really see these problems as deal breakers.

He's inherited the same biases as his father, basically. His whole thing about his dad's new partner being a bug isn't that different to his father calling Debbie a pet, really.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I dont believe that was the case, I believe they took a lot of the complaints about the show taking too long to heart and refocused some teams that would've moved on to later episodes in the production queue to get something out before the end of the year.

Nah, imdb (owned by Amazon) was reporting two seasons of four episodes over a year ago -- I posted about it here in December last year, but I'm pretty sure I'd known about this for a few months at the time -- and this episode was very clearly designed as an intentional break.

I'd say they changed their plans, but in the sense that they gained another eight episodes and not because they decided to get four episodes out earlier than the others. It was always the plan to get these four episodes out before the others, because they were originally the entirety of season two.

Edit: Yeah, imdb was reporting this since February 2021: https://web.archive.org/web/20220201192119/https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6741278/episodes/?season=2, and while I know anyone can edit that site, to me it seems a remarkable coincidence that they'd be wrong about the upcoming season in this very specific way. If you're gonna be an eager beaver and put up the episodes without any knowledge, you put up two seasons of eight episodes and not two seasons of four.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Nov 29, 2023

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

metachronos posted:

How many episodes in part 2? That looks like a lot of stuff to cover.

Four.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

lol, midseason breaks have been a thing for quite a while

Sure, but I can't think of an example, ever, that aired four episodes, waited four months, then aired another four episodes, and then stopped for another six months to a year maybe. Hence OP pointing out that this is unusual even by those standards.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

Castlevania? Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Stone Ocean?

I don't watch much anime so I can't comment on Jojo, but Castlevania did full season drops -- I thought it was implicit to the discussion that we were talking about seasons being broken up into small pieces separated by month long gaps (so comparable to the dominant US linear television release schedules of the last few decades, as per Stayne's post) rather than different, full, seasons being binge dropped with large periods of time between them.

The release of Invincible's second season is basically the former, not the latter.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Feb 16, 2024

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
And if we were talking about UK television you'd have a point.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

CatstropheWaitress posted:

The release schedule is dumb, but it really feels like they brought back Mark's dad waaaaaaay too soon. Ultimately it was like, what, five episodes between him slaughtering people on the subway and then him being back with a "I gently caress bugs now Mark. I'm a changed man."

I'm just a filthy show watcher, no book reading here, but I dunno if the show could have survived the combination of such a significant break between seasons and the disappearance of its main narrative conflict.

The relationship between Mark and Omniman, it's basically what powered the entire first season of the show and it's clearly what defines the show in popular discourse (most obviously the "think, Mark think" memes). That Omniman wasn't positioned prominently in the second season from jump -- and I think there's a good argument to make that he wasn't -- essentially makes the second season feel confusing and frivolous.

It'd be like the second season of Westworld not having the park turn up for half the season, or the second season of Doctor Who follow the companions without the iconic Doctor / TARDIS elements. You can make pretty much any show work without those central iconographic elements, sure, and there have been rare examples of shows that have, but for a lot of people that's not actually "the show" at all. You're essentially asking a lot of your audience, and a show with three year interregnums is already asking a lot of audiences.

IMO a more effective version of the show probably would have alternated between a storyline set on Earth and a storyline set on Planet Bug.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Feb 18, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Man this season has been so unfocused. All the fake out deaths really suck too.