Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 20 days!)

Anissa's appearance felt like a shot in the arm for the show. It's really meandering around a lot of fluff lately, things don't feel like they've progressed at all.

Like, I'm not anticipating next week's showdown with brain man because they've barely built it up at all and he hasn't done anything for like 5 episodes.

I'm sure it'll be okay. I hope this is the end of Amber/Mark - she's been a drag on the show since the beginning.

On the plus side, traumatised Rex is a lot more tolerable than he was before so he can stick around if he continues to act like a grown up.

It's a weird show overall. It keeps doing just enough to be entertaining but it feels so unfocused and unrealistic while giving the impression it wants to be both of those things. I think the thing is - this is a bunch of shows mashed together, and some of them are inherently worse shows than the others. Maybe it's just trying to do too much instead of focusing on what works.

I wonder if Mark's going to get any stronger because he almost seems like a non-factor in the eventual Viltrum/Allen confrontation. I get the sense he's severely below every other Viltrumite and all he has going for him in a fight is the ability to not be disintegrated by one punch.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Mar 28, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

I think there's a line of fairness when it comes to exploiting Mark for his powers. In reality, most of us could be doing a lot more to help the world around us if we were really honest and focused about it, but even the most selfless people wouldn't be wrong to take some time for themselves. Mark should have time to himself without responsibility up to a line.

I think loving around with college attendance and grades is over that line. Mark will never, ever, need those things. In fact him attending is doing nothing but wasting other people's time. It isn't like he lacks a social context or ability to better himself, either, he has all of those things. As far as romance goes, yeah it's probably also over the line for your to be putting a target on powerless innocents by dating them, and also further pulls you away from the work you could be doing and like we saw with Nolan inherently creates a weird power dynamic.

Just drop out of college and go date Eve, Mark. Jesus christ.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

yeah I do get the impression that while she was still obviously in her i dunno LATE prime, she was like 60 in human years

and mark beating up a 60 year old woman isn't that impressive. that's a double advantage son, and you still almost lost.

the thing is, nolan said he needed to stop holding back in that scene and it made me think, is the reason mark is so weak compared to other viltrumites, because he doesn't actually want to kill anybody? it's possible. i think it'd be a pretty weak conclusion to this issue, given how close he has been to death so MANY times, but it's possible.

i'd much rather than he just needs to train so he can go from normal viltrumite to jacked viltrumite, without any necessary changes in physique cos lol. the difference between a weak viltrumite and a strong one must be vast, if you consider the human variation.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

i get it i just don't buy that

mark's personal aversion to violence could cause him to have huge bruises and blood wounds on his face

that seems...........UNLIKELY

unless he was a bitch

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

and if he wants to have the slightest chance against the viltrumites, he needs to learn how to not be a complete and utter bitch. does this make sense.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

well yeah cecil is a totaly like 'this is muscles' reference

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

rex is loving pissing me off.

either be strong or die, bitch.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

jesus idiots

do you have absolute nothing to say about this?
looks good bitch
talk to me or what is it...........a beach?
you loving whore

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

it annoys me that two guys talking has to be classed as 'non toxic masculinity'

guys do actually talk from time to loving time, jesus christ. it's not all about your zeitgeist.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

honestly it really brings nolan's original point into perspective

mark, you will live for thousands of years. yes you'll still have your dad. these people actually are just.......ants.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

did we see that cos i missed that

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Omniman kills a bunch of people because they are less than nothing to him. I suspect that would be true for most Viltrimites.

Please do not be fooled by the space fascists jfc.

it was a joke btw, i know they're evil and insane

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

I thought the episode was pretty good. Not an earth-shattering finale but things moved forward on all fronts in ways I like - Mark's cutting out the college bullshit, Nolan and Allen met and will be escaping soon to probably come for a visit. The rest of it was just good material for Debbie, some good stuff for Eve, and overall I though the Angstrom half of the episode was entertaining enough and didn't outstay it's welcome. After the 5th multiverse trap or so I was like 'okay wrap it up, none of this actually matters' and they did.

I think they did a good job of showing how unlikely it is Mark would be the good guy he is by showing Angstrom's memories collapse in on each other. Motivation wise, it was pretty good - he can't tell exactly what is real because reality is meaningless when you experience infinites, but Mark's cruelty stands out as a very strong signal in all of those experiences combined. It just happens that our Mark is different.

Although I don't think Mark's horror at killing Angstrom was the perfect way to catalyse his desire to become a better superhero, just because Angstrom wasn't an important character, it does the job.

I liked it ending on the note that the only reason Nolan doesn't want to die in that moment is that he misses his wife.

also, Shrinking Ray hasn't even been seen since they didn't kill her off. Why bother keeping her around? Especially if you're bringing Kate back for the reveal - which I actually liked because it makes sense, even though she's a very minor character and the Immortal makes no sense to me.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Apr 4, 2024

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

if they didn't teleport, it's funny to think cecil could just ride in the truck with them if he's going to wait until they arrive anyway but no, he must spent the GDP of some countries to avoid carpooling

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

I get the impression Debbie would and kind of does forgive Nolan. When she talks about him, it's not really with anger, just hurt. I think she says something along the lines of 'not being sure' if she wants him to ever come back, which is a pretty big indicator she's open to reconcilliation if she's saying that already. Sure, the mass murderer doesn't deserve it, but Debbie doesn't need to be a paragon either. She can just miss her husband.

The animation is fine for me. I do notice a lot of static scenes but when things have to move, they really do, so it's fine. I don't need people to be gesturing and flailing limbs when it's just a simple dialogue scene. I like the art style for the characters which is the most important part.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Collateral posted:

If he genuinely repented, Cecil would welcome him with open arms.

well yeah, but there's literally nothing he can do to fight him anyway. it's basically what mark says goes in this case. if mark wants him back on earth, he's back on earth.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Vampire Panties posted:

Since it seems like the show is probably done with S3

Why do you say that?

It's been on top of Prime's most watched list for weeks, I thought it was extremely popular and there is loads of material?

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

he really makes omni man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

rex was extremely annoying and not funny at all before he got shot in the head but now he's okay