Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Pretty interested in this, since they seem to be using the show as a v2.0 for the comics. I read them after finishing S1 and was pretty surprised at how much better the show was (or at least how much more I liked it), usually it's the other way around with the source material. And yeah the comic does kinda poo poo the bed the last 20% or so, be nice if they make it all the way through and can smooth things out.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I did enjoy them using that gag throughout the whole episode.

That was fun, thought it was going to be a fun hint when they didn't do it when Mark first said it because that wasn't our Mark. They played it up a little much with characters doing stuff like 'I guess you really are *pause, look at camera* INVINCIBLE'. Then at the very end it's still a different character who slams to title. Wonder if it will be a different random character every episode this time?

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Nov 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
^^^
Also feels like something they can stretch over an entire season, doesn't he leave and come back several times in the comic? Easy to have him start some poo poo then just portal away until later.

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

It was random in the first season, too. I remember Mark, Sinclair, and Robot all delivering the title card line off the top of my head.

Welp:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvwUM_cjpj0

Somehow I got it into my head that it was every time Mark said it for the first time, but it was just the first time anyone says it :doh: Maybe they're going bizarro in S2 and it will be the last time each episode.

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Nov 3, 2023

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah that's some real :homebrew: If it's that well funded they should be able to keep the animation and VA budget comfortable as well.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LRADIKAL posted:

The Maulers seem completely amoral. Seems like they like to do mad science mostly. What were they up to S1, again?

IIRC they were doing mad science poo poo then got recruited/blackmailed by Robot to clone Rex so he could transfer his consciousness and be a Real BoyTM.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Senor Tron posted:

Was a great episode, but kinda disappointed that it's more multiverse stuff.

Like others have said Levy is more a recurring villain than a series-wide Big Bad. I'm assuming they'll have him pop up and gently caress with Mark every few episodes and I'll be surprised if his story isn't resolved within this season. There will be plenty of other 'regular' superhero poo poo going on.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Granted, Eve is just now 18 while her father is a grown man, so it looks much worse for him. The sexism also doesn't help.

The show also seems to be cutting out him actually slapping her around (I think? Been a while since S1).

The title of this episode sure is a thing.

I like them holding back episode titles so they can work fun little jokes into them like that, but it's playing hell with my media server. Stuff takes days to flow through and get updated :(

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
^^^
Like her support group buddy said, it takes time.

pik_d posted:

Is Nolan gonna Vegeta those bug people?

Depending on what era of Vegeta you mean, yes.

Admin Edit: Added spoiler tags to the entire post because I have no idea what is a spoiler and this was reported as such, sorry if it aint, sorry if it was.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I can see it looking that way, what with him inviting her over to a bar as a group and then they're the only ones who show up...

But the story does cram a bunch of coincidences in there to set up that final confrontation, I can see it feeling rushed. Also c'mon Deb, you go to a support group for spouses of dead superheroes and don't imagine you being married to the world's leading murderer of superheroes might get awkward?

Also, still laughing at the 'Oh they're about to bone down? Uhh, let's go follow these characters for a while.' Comic does it exactly the same way.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

GateOfD posted:

I'm so interested in Debbie's journey. Its all presented so well with no bs

Interested in what they do with her as well. Character work is what's being improved the most from the comics. All the big action beats are going to be there but they're moving stuff around so that things make a lot more sense. Amber is an actual person now rather than just Hot GirlfriendTM, and having his friend be gay from the start makes him worrying so much about that guy that got kidnapped at college flow a lot better. He does come out towards the end of the comic but Mark is just 'Oh OK, cool.' and it's never brought up again :raise:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

I wonder if there's a Superman-esque explanation for how no one recognizes her or Nolan as civilians.

The explanation is Because Comics. Same way Mark can fly around an active college campus in street clothes or practice landing in his own back yard for hours and ain't nobody saw nothin'.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

The Viltrumites being Saiyans

Not really, though it can seem that way since Mark is getting stronger so quickly. That would be happening even without the constant rear end beatings. There's a much more explicit DBZ stand-in that we may or may not cover this season.

Admin Edit: Post was reported for breaking spoiler rules. I spoiled it. I have no idea if it is or isn't.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

SimonChris posted:

The bug's entire story turned out to be bullshit. We have no idea how far away the planet actually is.

Not that it matters, Invincible works on Star Wars travel rules in that everybody can reach any location in the exact amount of time the plot demands.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Panfilo posted:

In the Atom Eve special he's also a guy and I think the father of the one killed by omniman. The powers were from some amulet or stone that I guess can just be passed on to another person.

When she flies out to meet up with the other Guardians for OmniCon we see her swallow a green egg thing to transform, supposedly anyone who had the rock would have those powers.

GateOfD posted:

I’m surprised Mark didn’t fall for Plan A with the Seance Dog

Even in animated alt-reality he knows it's really Science Dog :unsmith:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ooo Amazon money buying Nick Cave songs :rock:

Was the black hole meetcute in the comics? Do not remember that. Gravitational spagettification may be one of the only reliable ways for a Viltrumite to commit suicide.

pik_d posted:

(S02E04)
Vegeta: Smashed a bug

Nolan: Also smashed a bug

Also the formerly planet conquering Vegita settling down with a local gal and having a kid.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Good Citizen posted:

nah, there was no flashback of pre-Mark arriving in the comics

I forget what thread it was in and why, but someone just posted a few videos explaining why black holes look like that. Pretty neat!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUyH3XhpLTo

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

SimonChris posted:

How does Debbie receiving the money from Nolan's books make her feel in debt to Cecil? That's her loving money! Wasn't he just helping manage the estate or something?

I think the 'book sales' were just a cover for them getting fat government checks, they don't really sell that well.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

VagueRant posted:

It's a weird one where he's basically a religious extremist who believed he was simply stepping on anthills and is now getting radicalised by, like, vegans.

The conflict works, but a little more lip service paid to the actual process of de-radicalisation and deprogramming would be...interesting.

If anything we saw additional Omni-Regret in the show than the comics. In the books he still tells Mark that he's sorry, but seeing him flying around after leaving Earth and apparently being broke enough to contemplate/attempt suicide is something they didn't explore until now. Show is being really good about taking things they said in the comic and showing us instead.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Yea, they mention 6 months a few times.

Really nailed the sweet spot in meeting his bugwife young enough that she's still just middle aged now, since 6 months is a full half of her lifespan.

vvv
That's a hell of a lot more mindsafe than seeing it in motion :eek: The antenna hug is cute tho.

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Nov 26, 2023

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

AlternateNu posted:

Why bug lady have boobies? :confused:

e:
Realtalk, apparently it's kind of hard to find species with which Vilts can interbreed, so bugfolk must be pretty close to both them and humans biologically...

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Nov 26, 2023

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I remember them saying something about limited compatibility, isn't that why Nolan was waiting around to see if Mark ever got powers? But maybe that's a self-imposed limit like Bee said. Otherwise you wouldn't think they'd keep crying about a low population after PURGing themselves if they could start churning out 'real' Viltrumites on every planet they visit.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Panfilo posted:

I'm trying to imagine how you develop into a spacefaring civilization when your people only live 1 year. Also you'd think that would be the first hurdle they'd try to overcome.

Theoretically they also develop at an accelerated rate so even living 1 Earth year they get a comparable amount of poo poo done during it. Shuttling Mark back over from Earth was like a 10 year mission for that one guy.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Skippy McPants posted:

"But this wasn't one of them."

Oh god, that's funny.

:yeah:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Close.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MemeVideos/comments/180j4a6/i_think_i_downloaded_the_wrong_version_of/

Content warning - it gets very reddit.

But it's amazing* how good AI voices are getting.

* for a given value of amazing

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
They don't have to necessarily resolve any of it since S3 is signed up, but there were only a few major plot points going on in the trailer. Martian parasite stuff, PortalBro and Omniman being held by the other Viltrumites. Could probably knock each of those out in an hour episode, though I assume we'll be cutting around between them all at the same time.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Seems like episode counts have been trending down for a while now, but they were pretty high for a long time. The days of prestige / big production shows like The X-Files getting 24 hour-long episodes a season are pretty much over, the only shows I still see hitting those numbers are filmed on set sitcoms or super formulaic CSI: Your Town type shows. Ideally this reduction in quantity comes with an increase in quality, but :shrug:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

thanks alot assbag posted:

This show has a really bizarre tendency to begin a new plot thread, then put it down for like 5 episodes before picking it back up again. It's overall fine but it makes things kind of hard to keep track of or even care about.

Happened a lot in the comic too. Gonna be a real challenge for them to try and keep things relevant across season (and now mid season) breaks.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Sardikar posted:

"Yum Yum..."

Jesus loving wept!

Maybe it's a komodo dragon reference, but that dude sure seemed eager to eat absolutely everything regardless of any hazard it may have caused :psyboom:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Aces High posted:

Yeah, Red Rush literally breaking his fists on Nolan was quite a visceral display. I still enjoy that because it shows how powerful speedsters can be, and then that it still wasn't enough.

I'm still not sure I truly understand what happened to Rae. Is the implication that Komodo is just THAT much stronger and so could contain her as she expanded back to regular size? Or did she already start getting banged up a bit as he was swallowing her, and so she couldn't expand with enough explosive force?

We already see her explode a smaller member of Lizard Squad so I think it's just Komodo being a beefy enough boy to crush her with his esophagus.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
At a certain point I'd just shrink back down, unless she has to hit full size before activating again. Like some others have said we haven't spent much time with her so we don't know the details of her ability. And aside from that she appears to be a normal human so combat probably isn't her thing anyway.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Wait, his name was really Ray, as in Ray Romano? So that's why his supe name is Shrinking Ray? Surprised we don't have another speedster in the series named Justin Time.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Hughlander posted:

there's... steel in Donald

:v:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Rubellavator posted:

Did anybody else find Eve's line about Rex liking home decor because he's from a broken home deeply funny? One of the dumbest lines I've ever heard.

I found it darkly funny that Immortal was sitting in a morgue that was stuffed full of his ex-girlfriend's clone bodies. Like, just drat dude that can't be healthy.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Aces High posted:

Oh, don't worry, there will be blood soon enough. A LOT of it

https://i.imgur.com/P8L1EAi.mp4

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
No idea of the quality, but the Atom Eve game is free on Epic this week.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

everydayfalls posted:

This what made me give up on the walking dead tv show. The same story beat repeated for the 3rd time with new set dressing was tiresome. That and the fake out on Steven yuens death it just wasn’t worth it anymore.

I watched some youtube superclip of Walking Dead moments and that's one of the only things I've ever seen on tv that I would classify as being straight up disrespectful to the audience. Having this big buildup to a character getting got, then having it happen from 1st person so you still don't know who it was until the next season a year later is just a giant middle finger to your fans. If I HAD been a fan I can't imagine staying so after something like that.

But it did give us stuff like this so maybe it's all a wash:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think the comic gets lost in the weeds more than once and in retrospect several plot arcs didn't really matter in the end, but I will credit it with never just rinse-repeat'ing storylines like that.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Aces High posted:

Her "dad" was always a creepy misogynist in the comics (there's a bit in the back-half of the run where Mark has a chat with him about women and dating. It trails off and the next panel is Mark sitting in a dark room with a nice :stonk:) but they really ramped it up for the show.

Probably to balance out him no longer smacking her around every once in a while like he does in the comics. I guess 'only' being emotionally and psychologically abusive is a step up from that plus physically?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

TGG posted:

Also there is an in comics reason for the Viltrumites acting all weird about this poo poo and just not straight taking Earth immediately.

Not that I recall, they just have a system in place and are following the template for taking over every other planet they've conquered.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Nuebot posted:

The show took advantage of the fact that the writers know where character plotbeats go to make the early arcs less weird and lame in regards to the side characters. Both William and Amber are much better in the show than in the comics.

This is easily the strongest point for season 1 alongside the remixed Guardians takedown in episode 1. In the comics Mark comes back from some adventure or another and William is just like 'oh hey I'm gay now, cyborg guy is my boyfriend' and Mark is like '...cool' and I think it's never mentioned again. And Amber literally doesn't speak for the first several issues in which she appears and never really develops beyond anything other than Trophy Girlfriend. Show Amber is kind of annoying, but at least she elicits AN emotion beyond :effort:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

RareAcumen posted:

This whole time you all were talking about Viltrumite women ages and I thought you meant that lady that gutted Mark with her hair-knife.

...were they not? The lady from this episode doesn't look remotely old, while braidknife at least was grey and had a few wrinkles I think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Stairmaster posted:

To be fair, our current ruling class is also doing that

And our elected officials seem to keep getting older and older with no signs of stopping........ oh... oh god they're already here :ohdear: