Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Show seems interesting enough so far. I do like that all the episodes are 40+ minutes.

I think the scene at the end of ep1 with Omni-man versus the Guardians should have been shot better? I can't think of a better word. The way he effortlessly destroyed that entire planet but got put into a coma from a few punches really doesn't add up in my head. Or I guess it also goes to show just how powerful the Guardians were, even though it didn't translate that well to the actual fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Wheeee posted:

idk end of ep1 it's pretty clear that nolan was sandbagging it to let himself get hurt in service of his alibi, as soon as he decided to he put them right down

I didn't see it that way. It seems like he really did try and just got his rear end beat into a coma. I mean Cecil was perfectly happy to assume that some supervillains did it. Him being there just raises more questions. I doubt anyone would have even suspected him at all if he wasn't there.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Ep4: lol that Marc was going to spend 2 weeks being bored out of his mind.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Ep 5: Of course principal of Reginal Vel Johnson high school is named Winslow :discourse:

I got a bad feeling Nolan is going to do something terrible to Deb if she keeps digging into this.

Not really loving the Marc keeping secrets from Amber subplot, but hopefully it's done with after the ending.

Good twist with Titan at the end. Nolan is never going to let Marc forget he was right.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Apr 9, 2021

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

twistedmentat posted:

Man Omni-man probably watches the whole thing, knowing he could have stopped it, but didn't because street level crime is beneath him.

Zaphod42 posted:

I kept expecting this to come into play but If Omni-man saw his son get beaten he'd vaporize everybody in the room instantly, so no he couldn't have been watching

Probably works into his mindset to teach Mark a lesson. And if he dies oh well :shrug:. Or maybe he knows that Mark wouldn't die because he's half viltrumite.

And he was almost certainly watching. There was the shot of him hovering nearby watching the penthouse and then Mark catches a glimpse of him before he passes out.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Maybe I missed something but why would Nolan keep his old bloodied costume around? If it's some sort of trophy or memento from killing the Guardians, then he wouldn't keep it hidden(badly) in a trash bag. Should've just tossed it into the sun. Not like he doesn't have a spare undamaged costume. Maybe it will get addressed later but that kinda stood out to me.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Collateral posted:

How long did it take them to get to mars? A day?

Based on the earth scenes that were happening in between, seems like half at day at most. Still chuckling that Mark had no plan to keep busy besides watch the astronauts do science for 2 whole weeks.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Doom2020! posted:

Titan mentioned Mark fighting a guy in an elephant costume but we haven't seen that in the show right?
So Robot talking to the clone brothers: some of you guys think he is going to clone one of the Guardians to find out the truth behind Nolan. This episode showed you need a seperate living brain to transfer knowledge So what do you guys think now? Do you think Robot is bad still or what might his motivation be? Robot did seem awfully concerned with his injured team-mates (even tolerates Rex for who knows why). Is Robot a good guy? Is some kind of super AI?

What is your guys take on Omniman himself. Is he a good guy, albeit ruthless? Was he mind controlled or what were his motivations?

I thought it was Elephant Man that Mark was flying through town when Titan's daughter asked if he was a good person.
Robot probably has his own agenda. I don't think it's anything to do with the Guardians or he would have given them a sample of their blood instead of Rex's.
Omniman is definitely a dickhead. He wasn't mind controlled. He's probably clearing the field for a viltrumite invasion, based on what he said to the Flaxans before he hosed up their whole planet

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Ep 6: Atom Eve can totally create money with her powers, right? Handing out stacks of cash to charities would also be a great help. She can do it between saving random hikers :v:

I feel like Amber was way too hard on Mark for "running off". Most people would run off in terror from the loving murder cyborg. I know it's supposed to be the tipping point because of all the other stuff in the relationship, but between that and her breaking up with him because she thought he got hit by a car, she really does not come off well.

This hidden outfit plotline is terrible. I can't imagine that someone like Cecil wouldn't have done analysis like the costume maker did. And it still doesn't explain why Nolan kept the loving thing. Deb has got some big loving balls though, telling Nolan off like that.

I wonder what the twins will do with Immortal's body as their insurance policy against Robot. I also wonder how they knew where it was.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Apr 16, 2021

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Another ep6 thing: There was not enough follow up from ep5. Mark(does he even know they took down Machinehead? I can't remember if he passed out before or after that) didn't go check up with Titan. Nolan didn't give Mark some "I told you so" speech. Hell, even Deb just let Mark go on a roadtrip a week after he almost died. I guess the last one is more of a minor nitpick, but you would think she would still be a bit more concerned but I guess he heals quickly so :shrug:

I don't think I liked this episode much at all.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Heliotrope posted:

I figured he wasn't planning on staying around but the team put up enough of a fight to knock him out. If he had been able to leave after killing everyone, he might not have been suspected.

:agreed:

Open Source Idiom posted:

I'd argue that'd make him more suspicious. Attention is drawn to him by virtue of him not being there.

That doesn't make sense. Cecil's first suspects were supervillains. If Nolan hadn't been there, he probably wouldn't even have been considered. Or he could have lied and said he was doing some other hero poo poo in space. Until this incident, there was no reason to suspect that he would even do such a thing.

What Nolan should have done is just pick off the stronger ones solo, then left all the scrubs to clean up at a later date. And by pick off I mean pick up and throw into the sun. One at a time. Clearly he's not good at planning. :v:

e: It would be like if Superman wasn't part of the Justice League and then the whole league was murdered. He's been humanity's friend and a hero for decades! He's even worked with them on multiple occasions. Why would Superman kill the Justice League?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Apr 17, 2021

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Ep7: Boy, that escalated quickly.

So Nolan says he needed the uniform to take care of Darkblood but that still doesn't explain poo poo. He definitely hosed up by not chucking it into space.

Okay Amber sucks.

Well I guess we know what Robot's deal is. :rip: old prune body. Hello Rexplodebot. lol the reason for picking Rex.

I can't wait for the finale next week.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

ruddiger posted:

One thing I couldn’t help compare with the Boys was the invisible wetworks team in the Grayson house and how it mirrored the cabin scene with Homelander and the dispatch team he dealt with.

I was thinking the same thing :hfive:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Does Rudy have Rex's powers now since it's a cloned body?

Did the Mauler Twins take some of Immortal's DNA to make new clone bodies for themselves? Seems like they should have as it would probably be a huge upgrade.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Apr 24, 2021

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Mr Interweb posted:

wait a minute...

if Immortal was supposed to be lincoln, how'd he get taken out by a bullet yet can go toe to toe with someone like omni-man?

I think you mean how much more powerful would Omniman be if he had a gun? Or two guns?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

He's the settings Superman, of course he's going to go all destruscto when he wakes up from death.

Vvvv No? Unless you mean like a spoiler from when Superman came back from the dead and got a little aggro. I only spoiled it because the incident was spoiled upthread and I'm never sure on spoiler rules for weekly streaming shows.

You didn't do anything wrong re: spoilers.

quote:

SPOILER RULES: Are you talking about something that's already aired in an episode on the East Coast? Then you don't need spoiler tags. Are you talking about something that you only saw in a preview, or a commercial, or or due to a leaked ANYTHING? Then you need spoiler tags. Casting information is not a spoiler. Unless it obviously IS a spoiler, like a recurring character that was presumed dead or something coming back. Honestly, just use common sense. Netflix shows "air" all at once, so once they go up, there's no need for spoiler tags in that show's thread. You should still use them in other threads that might mention the show for at least a month. poo poo like this falls under the "common sense" clause.

People generally spoiler stuff from episodes for a day or two after they are released just to be polite, but they don't have to.

gently caress I can't wait for the finale tomorrow.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Great news. :toot:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Just Chamber posted:

The biggest sin is William doesn't realise Mark's dad is Omni-Man, when he's surely the most recognizable man on the planet. You can't even use the Clark Kent wears glasses and has different body language excuse.

Same reasoning that no one recognized Atom Eve: people see what they want to see and aren't looking for heroes all the time or whatever she told Mark.

Also William did address him as Mr Grayson in ep7.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Ep 8: Chuckling a bit at their Nietzsche olympics.

"I can't let you interfere."

That 2 shots where the people turned into CG as Mark was crashing into Chicago was very odd. The animation improved drastically.

The train scene was hilarious and brutal.

So when Nolan flew into the atmosphere and his suit burned off, is he just wearing like 10 layers of costumes? :v:

Jfc gently caress off with this relationship poo poo. I thought it was over but I guess not.

2nd half of the episode kinda dragged, but the final montage made me glad the show was renewed for 2 more seasons.

e: I have to wonder how advanced some of these 1000 other planets are if 1 Viltrumite can't keep the whole place in check after they have been conquered :911: since Nolan said their forces were being spread thin so they had to devise this new strategy. Or maybe a bunch of them kept dying during the invasions idk

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Apr 30, 2021

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Retrowave Joe posted:

It was all the blood burning off, which was a neat touch.

That makes a lot more sense!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Maybe he's really mad that Deb didn't cook that giant piece of tentacle that Nolan brought back.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

ughhhh posted:

I know its all comics, but I still dont understand how this would work. Fresh pizza is the most un-aerodynamic shape possible. Sausage i can understand, wine sure! But fresh bubbling pizza?

Viltrumite force: Nolan doesn't have to explain poo poo or he will make you explode into a bloody mess if you keep pressing the issue. :v:

And speaking of things that don't make sense: I am really surprised at how easily everyone seems to have let Rudy off the hook with what he did. That was seriously messed up and at the very least he should be kicked off the team for freeing the Mauler Twins. And that's not even getting started with what he did to Rex.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

bigperm posted:

In one episode of The 4400 (I think...) there was a scene where some group had used their super powers to turn some huge desert into harvest-ready farmland - but I don't think it was ever addressed in the show again, and if that is actually the show I am remembering, it's just about the only thing I remember from it because it was such a powerful idea - global civil engineering or whatever you want to call it.

Does anyone have anything to recommend that explores this issue?

That was The 4400 and it was a really good twist. Everyone was expecting it to be some sort of terrorist attack but instead they did that.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

starkebn posted:

If the new guardians are the primo supers on the planet, then earth is in dire straights if Omni-Man comes back wanting to take over. Eve and Mark are so far above that group in power level it's comical really.

I bet even not-Batman could have kicked the poo poo out of the new guardians all at once.

Also the ending montage showed Immortal being put back together again. So does he get a free pass to rejoin? Does he have to join a lesser team like Fight Force and work his way up the ranks again? :v:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://i.imgur.com/FAVftTh.mp4

lol

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Rudy doesn't seem to understand humans. Like, at all. Hence him not having any problems stealing Rex's dna to make a clone which is all sorts of hosed up. Also it's spelled out for the audience that he sees monster girl as someone who can relate to him due to their body problem.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

She said she's 25

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Away all Goats posted:

I've started my second watch through and a few things I noticed:

-In the fight against the Guardians, Red Rush doesn't just save Immortal and FishGuy, he also blocks one of mark's punches that was intended for War Woman
-Nolan crushing Red Rush's head happens instantly, but Red Rush and Nolan have super speed making it seem longer. This must have been particularly long for Red Rush who tells his wife he experiences all of life in slow motion and he can't turn it off.
-Nolan tells Cecil he doesn't know who attacked him and the Guardians because someone cut the lights and they were ambushed. Cecil tests this theory by teleporting into the Grayson's darkened home which Nolan promptly sniffs out. Cecil knew he was lying.

This is a good observation. Never even considered that but it makes sense.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

They can both be the rear end in a top hat. :shrug:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Morrow posted:

I think the show has been consistent in showing that Mark was wrong about keeping secrets from her and that there are consequences for doing so.

Where it falls short is she's a side character and is somewhat inconsistent internally. She's mad at Mark for different reasons, until she's not mad at him because she watched him get beat up on TV.

The absolute worst part of the season. Just a complete :wtf: moment

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Casnorf posted:

Is it possible seeing mark's dad hitting him recontextualized her view of his selfishness? I mean I dunno about learning and growing and changing in any capacity all everything static and unchanging as the smooth open ocean.

Or it could just be really bad writing. The show isn't immune from that. See also: the really stupid Deb / costume plotline.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

stev posted:

What was wrong with the costume thing?

It was just really dumb. I'm glad Deb had something to do, but Nolan had no reason to keep the old costume around. Also he hid it really badly.

Think Nolan think!

e: also the loving CSI costume maker lmao

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

stev posted:

Fair enough. I liked the moments between the costume guy and Nolan though.

:same: The scene where Nolan has a drink with the costume guy was good.

Just to clarify: I mean the part where he does the CSI analysis poo poo on the costume and explains to Deb how Nolan had to kill the guardians. That was extremely stupid. Worse is that it means that either Cecil didn't do any testing on the costume(meaning he's incompetent which would be out of character for him) or he just kept up the facade and pretending not to know if Nolan really did kill the Guardians this whole time for reasons. Even in private when talking to Daniels.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

I figured Cecil pretty much knew from the get-go and to admit otherwise would mean starting a war with OM before he's ready.

That doesn't really fit with his actions as he kept trying to find proof as to what happened. Also if he knew, there's no reason to keep up the investigation which risks getting caught and exposing it like when Nolan saw the surveillance next door which pretty much blew the whole thing wide open. Or to try and get Nolan off planet in ep4.

I'll just assume that they needed a way for Deb to find out for sure and it was 4:51 on a Friday in the writer's room so they threw the costume maker scene together and clocked out.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Zaphod42 posted:

...at the time she didn't know the secret? And now she does she's mad at him for lying? Its not like she can go back in time and change how she reacted...

She said she has known he's been a hero for months. Now she doesn't say she knows he's Invincible, but it probably isn't hard to piece together when Mark runs off from the loving murder cyborg and then Invincible shows up.

e: And that just paints her in an even worse light when she breaks up with him because he missed his last chance at the soup kitchen. If she didn't know he's a hero, he broke up with someone because they got hit by a loving bus. If she did know, she broke up with him because he got really badly injured(presumably saving people) and was in the hospital for a week.

Really the relationship stuff was really poorly executed. "Being teenagers" only goes so far.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 02:11 on May 13, 2021

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Zaphod42 posted:

The show has been playing pretty fast and loose with time, many months have gone by in a few episodes. I think it can still fit?

No obviously him being Invincible is a given once she knows, chill out dude.

E: Actually I think she said "weeks ago" so that totally fits. Although I think they also just drove back from college so maybe not. IDK. But yeah she definitely says "weeks ago" not "months ago".

It doesn't make any sense at all. She knew he's a hero during the campus event(and probably Invincible) and still got mad at him?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

He confessed to her right when they got back from the campus tour. If she knew for weeks, she knew during the attack.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Megillah Gorilla posted:

It was weeks in our time, wasn't it?

He could have been on that planet, slowly wiping everyone out, for centuries.

It was a few hours in our time. Mark was all freaked out and then Deb was like "Oh it's just a regular Wednesday occurrence he will find his way back nbd" and then he does later that day.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySWxnUqajQ0

All his moves are basically his s1 greatest hits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Yea it was a good premiere.