Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I really didn't care much for the trailer and I had a really bad hunch that this was going to be absolute crap.

But its solid. The animation kicks it up at certain points in the fights and Omni-Man is just as scary as he should be. Really liked the way they did "Earth is not yours to conquer"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Yeah I forgot about that what the gently caress is up with her crossed out symbol?

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Cecil is great in show and in comic. I wouldn’t say Walton is phoning it in it’s just Cecil is so loving tired of the constant poo poo.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Idk, especially the delivery of Earth is not YOURs to conquer made it feel like it wasn't supposed to be too mysterious. I think.

If people haven’t caught on yet they never will.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Titan is my favoriter character and his voiceactor is awesome.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I think we should avoid talking about comic spoilers at all itt. Even in spoilers.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I would say its just weak writing that Nolan killed the guardians in the way he did and that he ever thought he wouldn't be the prime suspect.

I mean it's possible that Nolan figures they probably know or suspect but that they rightly are too terrified to do anything about it.

I also have to suspend my disbelief that Nolan actually kept his costume all bloody and torn up for like months in a plastic bag and just didn't throw it into the sun.

That's fine. It's still a good series that I really dig.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Nolan would conquer the world and rule with an iron fist

Homelander would kill everyone in a horrible rage.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I got real loving angry that nothing goes the way he wanted it vibes. All these human cattle are acting real uppity.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

BurritoJustice posted:

The scenes in the white room have them working on weird space crystal and testing lasers on alien skulls, so I took that as meaning they're working on it to some degree. But I agree, Nolan is a walking extinction even from a race of thousands of walking extinction events they now know are malicious. The world uniting to fight that would be an awesome story but I don't think that's this story. They've jumbled the timeline a lot and there is still a lot of Mark regular life development to come.

I just read the IGN review of the last episode and they made a point of calling Cecil's VA the worst in the show the because he was deadpan while teleporting around Nolan. I mean what the gently caress? Goggins is slaying it and that scene was awesome. the same review also made a point of complaining that there was too much side story to distract from the main line while also complaining that the side stories didn't have enough fleshing out.

What does everyone think about the Robot/Monster Girl teen bodies situation? Normally I'd be concerned about 1000yo dragon in a Loli body anime bullshit but they're handling it well.

The IGN reviews are poo poo imo. Probably weren't paid enough to say good things about a good show.

Robot and Monster girl are the same age mentally and physically they can do whatever the gently caress they want really.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Roman Reigns posted:

Haven’t read the comics but is the whole thousands being killed in ten minutes in Chicago incident thanks to a superpower brawl going to be glossed over? It felt like by the end of the episode there was a definite “oh well back to business :v:” vibe going on throughout the world.

The same way people are desentizied from wars and cop violence and terror I bet people would learn to live with the random alien invasion or super powered maniac taking control?

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

uber_stoat posted:

publicly making GBS threads all over your ex co workers seems like a good way to get blackballed but what do i know.

Yeah what is up with that? I mean its amazon so I guess they're treating their workers like poo poo anyway?

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Panfilo posted:

Holy hell was that a crazy Finale. Remember in Man of Steel/BvS when they weakly try to illustrate the sheer scale of destruction a superhuman can wreck on society? But it was mostly more of the same, just buildings getting wrecked. Mark vs Nolan was like that without pulling any punches on the human toll. From the subway to the collapsing building, Nolan is repeatedly showing his disdain for humanity as a whole in a really abusive way. It's like some abusive father killing a pet rabbit in front of his son to 'teach' him not to get too attached to animals he'll easily outlive.

Also, probably not a good idea to say out loud "whew that was a close call! Thought I was a goner for sure." when you just tumbled out of an airplane.

One minor gripe I do have is that Monster Girl de ages when she transforms, to the point of needing to limit her training. Yet she hulks out to make this big point to knock Rex Splode down a peg in the auditions, and in this episode she transforms... just to help clean? I figured it would be more interesting if it was like Simon Petrikov where using his crown is an act of absolute desperation but for something that has permanent consequences she seems to transform an awful lot.

She loses her cool in the tryouts when Rex is teasing her.

At the end of the latest episode she transforms to defend Rex from Samson and transforms back when they start cleaning.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
This show is way better looking (and better) then Mob Psycho 100 as I think people were saying a few pages back.

The fights are cool in Mob and they do some cool poo poo with animation. But eh.

(also the flashing lights are giving me epilepsy)

Affi fucked around with this message at 14:42 on May 2, 2021

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Well yeah. I admit that the fights in mob psycho are occasionally drawn in a very cool and good way that takes advantage of the medium. But that's it for me. And I loving hate the flashing lights they insist on constantly. And there is absolutely no consequences in any fights as usual.

The voice acting in invincible is heads and shoulders above the dub (obviously) and the music and sound too.

But mobs really cool and interesting story you say? The story is poo poo. Really. Its poo poo.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I really dig the abstract things Mob does I'll give them that.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Captain Oblivious posted:

Yes? Because I don’t super care about the Watsonian rationalization, just the narrative result. In the comics he can make a plausible claim to the name Invincible at first and it makes the fight with Omni-Man all the more impactful.

Here, him calling himself Invincible is farcical. It’s like a self deprecating joke.

Well it is treated more like a inside joke in the show thankfully . I thought you were quite vincible for example.

It would've been nice if his dad had been his first real loss but then they'd have to rearrange the entire season.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Hamelekim posted:

They also maybe don't post comic spoilers of this magnitude here.

That is a huge comic spoiler.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Am I missing something? How is being woke a bad thing?

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Also let's be real his gf and best friend are about to be murdered and he runs away to change into his heroes costume. Will almost bites it because Mark has to keep up the lie.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Oxyclean posted:

I'm pretty sure the moment most anyone watching saw him take out the Guardians of the Globe, in horrifyingly cold and graphic gorey ways, people went "oh this is the bad guy, and he's hosed up."

Him taking out the whole alien planet was basically a "no, really, this dude is remorseless." Like, I almost think there's supposed to be a touch of schadenfreude to that scene because you have these rear end in a top hat war mongers who aren't giving up, but you're quickly supposed to go "oh, no, that's too much." and it kind of cements what happened to the Guardians as not just a fluke. This is just how this dude is.

(But also apparently he didn't actually take them out since apparently they're gearing up to come back again?)

He's incredibly dangerous and he spent a few weeks destroying their planet. But he doesn't have xray vision or superhearing so it'd be very difficult getting everyone.

Also they are way worse then he is. They invade with the obvious intention of killing everyone from the get go. He's at most reflecting our own colonial past.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Mr Interweb posted:

What? yes he does! :confused:

Nope? He's super loving strong and fast but that's it. Probably some enhanced perception to be able to keep up with himself?

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Shyrka posted:

He's god good enough senses to pick out invisible people but he's not 'track a specific heartbeat across a city' Superman good.

They're not invisible though. He spots them moving and firing their weapons.

Probably enhanced senses but not super senses.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Mr Interweb posted:

we also saw him using his superhearing when he was eavesdropping on debbie and the costume guy (also forget his name) from outside his store :confused:

No? He's hovering creepily outside? No indication he's listening to them. (Source just rewatched the episode)

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Liked your review more than I thought i would. You'll probably keep #6 on the lowest score all through.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

androo posted:

Watched the first 10-15 mins with my girlfriend. We were both interested. Had to stop.

This show might have some of the worst expository dialog that I have ever heard. I assumed the initial intro + fight was going to pan out to a TV and reveal the entire scene as part of a lovely in-universe movie. Nope.

The poo poo where John Hamm is describing how much he loves his fuckup son... is this parody? Help me, goons, am I missing something?

Uh just watch the first episode and decide if you want to continue.

Make your own decisions.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Bust Rodd posted:

Is anyone else kind of confused by the scene of the Viltrumites fighting each other? It makes it seem like they all do maximum damage but only have like 1 HP. They are all shown to be super strong but everyone of them just gets torn in half by the next one like they are made of tissue paper.

Those were all weak rear end viltrumites and deserved to be purged.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
*Atom

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
It's poo poo and the fact that the people behind the show didn't notice or consider the ramifications of the distinct anti-female symbolism on a female hero is so loving dumb.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Omni-man sort of looks like he could've been drawn by Tom of Finland and it'd look even better.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

mastajake posted:

I feel like super perception is implied from successfully playing catch around the Earth, given the ball’s travel time.

Yeah but thats just a cool scene. It was actually dumb as poo poo and how did Marks ball bounce off a mountain and still end up as if it had travelled around the world.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Pulcinella posted:

I don’t think this really needs a season 2 though. Season 1 feels like it ends on a pretty good stopping point. Also the university episode felt largely like the waste of an episode. We don’t really need an explanation for where the robocops come from and “Mark appears to flake out on Amber one to many times” could have just been the time he was late to dinner with her mom.

It literally ends on a cliffhanger?

And yeah the uni ep isn't the greatest but the payoff of Mark slapping Sinclair is foreshadowing the frailty of humans and then "the government believes the ends justifies the means" is a good thing to keep in mind for later seasons.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Irredeemable was and is poo poo all through. Maybe the first issue was good i guess.

So when is S2 coming out?

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Chainsaw Man and Vinland Saga are two solid recommends.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Could get a bit pressed for time. Any word on how many episodes?

A few sidestories it seems plus the big one which is Angstrom. I wonder if they'll do Conquest this season or next. Could end up either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I can't recall did Olga know who Debbie's husband was?